Molto Verboso
PX200E X 2
Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:47 am quote
hand grind high quality beans and the coffee maker will do the rest
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:22 am quote
My favorite coffee?

Sitting near the water outside at a restaurant in Veracruz, marimba players nearby.... Ordering a café con leche, waiter pours a bit of coffee in your cup, then pours boiling hot milk into your cup from at least a foot above (without spilling a drop). Awesome...not sure if it's the environment, the vacation, or the coffee. All of the above?

Second best, (and more repeatable) is walking 6 or so blocks from my wife's family's house to a little corner coffee shop. Perch on a stool or chair on the sidewalk, get a cappu for maybe 15 pesos ($1.50), maybe throw in a fresh churro and stare at the palm trees in the park across the street. Life is good.

While I'm at it, Best Cappuccino Ever: Visiting Florence, staying at the youth hostel 40 minutes up in the hills from city center. Very few kids (just enough to make the manager fume about them). $4.00 beds that were surprising comfy, couple of Dutch acquaintances, and awesome cappuccino for the equivalent of about a buck whilst staring off at the city. Life may never be that good again.
Molto Verboso
GTS Vintage Red
Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:45 am quote
Bustello Dark Roast brewed with a Bialetti Moka 2-cup. I have tried fancy coffee at a number of NYC stores. I always go back to Bustello Dark Roast. All Miami MV people know this brand...

One large cup of expresso a day is all I need...

G
Resident Grump
MAC Motor, BBSHD. 30 Oct 2006
Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:17 am quote
Gianni wrote:
Bustello Dark Roast
A staple repeated here for many, many years.
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:37 pm quote
tomjasz wrote:
Gianni wrote:
Bustello Dark Roast
A staple repeated here for many, many years.
Available at all my local markets. Quite good - and cheap.

Most of the time, though, it's Columbian beans roasted at our local Costco and freshly ground at home.

I have a Cuisinart drip maker with the thermal carafe - so as not to cook the coffee after it's brewed. This suffices for the morning.

During the day, I'll usually make a long pull from my Saeco Poemia which is a very nice, easy to use, espresso/cappuccino maker.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/saeco-poemia-espresso-machine

saeco_poemia_espresso_machine.png

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:50 am quote
Re: Obesity changes the game.
oopsclunkthud wrote:
tomjasz wrote:
Cafestol is only a problem for high cholesterol sufferers who drink unfiltered coffee. Eating a heart healthy diet with normal, healthy LDL levels and drinking pressed coffees presents no risk. Obesity strikes again.
I hereby submit myself as a test subject for the cafestol link.
BMI: 22 (ie not in the obesity camp)
blood pressure is low
eat a heart healthy diet
HDL is good: 67
triglycerides are rediculously low: 36

and yet my LDL is 154. I put it down to a fluke at first but three years on I think that's just what it is.

Next friday my new pour over filter set will get here and the experiment begins.
I'll add myself to the pool of test subjects. Like oopsclunkthud, I've got low BMI and blood pressure, eat a mostly-vegetarian, very low-fat diet, and everything about my bloodwork is well within normal tolerances ... except my cholesterol, which is not dangerously high, but higher than it should be.

ordering my aeropress today
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:23 am quote
Jumping on the aeroplane
I was considering a chemex but this looks like much less mucking around.

Ordered.
saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:38 am quote
I highly recommend the 'inverted method' for brewing with the aeroshot shown in the video below.

It allows all of the hot water to remain in the coffee grounds while steeping (the regular method allows some to drip away immediately).

Keep in mind you are making a concentrate. Unless you specifically want espresso strength coffee, add some hot water to the finished aeroshot results once they are in your cup for a regular strength drink (still quite strong).

Lastly, I originally thought the funnel used to pour the coffee grounds was a wasted bit of equipment. The guy in the video doesn't use the funnel. True, if you are veeery careful (and very awake), you can scoop your ground coffee into the aeroshot cylinder without any problem. But if you are a little careless/sleepy and a few grains of coffee get into the place where the filter cap screws on, you will have a heck of a time getting the filter cap seated (ask me how I know).

Anyway, enjoy.

[edit, I just notice, the guy in the video doesn't stir the coffee and water in the cylinder with the paddle that comes with the kit. I do. I also use a bit less water and add hot water to my cup afterwards. ]

Experiment to see what works best for you.

saggezza di scala
Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:06 am quote
I've decided that the guy in the video I posted above is 'Jittery', the early rising dwarf who made coffee for Snow white and the rest of the household.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:28 am quote
Treppenwitz wrote:
I've decided that the guy in the video I posted above is 'Jittery', the early rising dwarf who made coffee for Snow white and the rest of the household.
Positive I.D.

You know, after glancing at your post a time or two, I dismissed it as just another gimmicky coffee-thingy, but on re-read, and the video of Jittery, I think you have a sale. May not replace my espresso machine or even my drip machine (OTOH.....), but might be especially awesome for traveling. After a week away with crappy coffee either in the room or the motel breakfast we were talking about bringing our own coffee, and heck, why not bring the whole kit?

Put it on my Amazon list...even if I have to wait for Christmas
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:55 am quote
Re: Jumping on the aeroplane
Arrived home to Aeropress tonight
Coffee after 7pm not a good idea
need beer now
saggezza di scala
Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:57 am quote
znomit wrote:
need beer now
You're welcome.
Hooked
GTS 250 a.b.s.
Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:08 am quote
I use one of these:

Or atleast I pretend I use it alot, but it just sits in the cupboard here doing nothing.

Making good coffee with one of those is a trick on it's own.
You need to pre-boil the water that goes in to it. Otherwise you will just burn the coffee in there even more while waiting for the cold water inside comes to a boil.
So that means pre-boiling with a water cooker or just some pot on the stove.
Then pour the boiling water in the bottom part, put the filter part in with the coffee and then assemble the 2 parts while the bottom half is so hot it burn-marks your hands.

Once you have the trick it makes excellent coffee, if you use decent powder or beans to begin with.
when I can get my hands on it for some decent money:

But a small pot of that costs somewhat like 6 or 7 euro's over here.
And they only sell the top brands over here.
In 1 week I will be traveling to Italy again and I can get some house brand stuff in the supermercato there for a decent price.

@ home we use one of these:

nothing really good but it does some genius trick of making clear and cold water into something hot and brown looking.
Hooked
2010 Vespa LX150
Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:48 am quote
For several years I've been buying green coffee beans and roasting them myself. My favorite region is Ethiopia, and sometimes Kenya. I guess you could say I'm a bit of a coffee snob, as you'll never find a can of Folger's or Char-buck's in my pantry. If I'm desperate I'll do Dunkin.
Molto Verboso
'12 GTS 300 Super
Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:40 am quote
Treppenwitz wrote:
znomit wrote:
need beer now
You're welcome.
Funniest thing I read today. Thanks for the laugh!
Hooked
Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:31 pm quote
lomunchi wrote:
I stopped at for an espresso every morning before work when I was working in Rome... THAT, was a cup of coffee, my friends!
Agree. The coffee has a whole other dimension in Italy.

...on the subject of techniques... we use the Bialetti Cuor di Moka. Not perfect but good enough.
Resident Grump
Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:41 pm quote
I like my vacuum pot best but keep killing the bottom glass pots. Thinking about a vintage stainless model. F, now I've got a taste for a cuppa Bialetti made. 9:40pm and 4 reruns of The Wire left, outa get me back to unwound.
GTV250 X 2
Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:31 pm quote
I'm in the specialty coffee business. Coffee is what I do.

-MM-
Hooked
Honda Forza 300 2014
Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:53 pm quote
NICE! I think I will try that! I usually put the plunger in after I stir the grounds to retain the heat and stop it from just dripping through, but I still usually loose about half my water volume that way. I didn't notice it in the video, but I always wet my filter as that's good practice with filters; in the laboratory and in the kitchen

Cheers and happy aeropressing....5pm...time for some swiss water decafe roasted at a local cafe
Treppenwitz wrote:
I highly recommend the 'inverted method' for brewing with the aeroshot shown in the video below.

It allows all of the hot water to remain in the coffee grounds while steeping (the regular method allows some to drip away immediately).

Keep in mind you are making a concentrate. Unless you specifically want espresso strength coffee, add some hot water to the finished aeroshot results once they are in your cup for a regular strength drink (still quite strong).

Lastly, I originally thought the funnel used to pour the coffee grounds was a wasted bit of equipment. The guy in the video doesn't use the funnel. True, if you are veeery careful (and very awake), you can scoop your ground coffee into the aeroshot cylinder without any problem. But if you are a little careless/sleepy and a few grains of coffee get into the place where the filter cap screws on, you will have a heck of a time getting the filter cap seated (ask me how I know).

Anyway, enjoy.

[edit, I just notice, the guy in the video doesn't stir the coffee and water in the cylinder with the paddle that comes with the kit. I do. I also use a bit less water and add hot water to my cup afterwards. ]

Experiment to see what works best for you.

Enthusiast
LX150
Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:02 pm quote
coffee
My favorite coffee?....BLACK! And in large sizes!

0611131914.jpg

0611131914.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:39 pm quote
Re: coffee
redryder47 wrote:
My favorite coffee?....BLACK! And in large sizes!
With a double shot!
Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:30 pm quote
ModernMoose wrote:
I'm in the specialty coffee business. Coffee is what I do. -MM-
I don't think "Do" coffee means to some of us what you think it means.
Oh, and I am due coffee right now...
Banned
2:6
Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:57 pm quote
The Haro V60 has arrived and immediately put into service.

IMG_0637.jpg

Resident Grump
Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:28 am quote
Just did my blood work at the Mayo. They made me come back another day because I'd had coffee within the 12 hour period before the fasting blood draw. Doc claims it skews the results. I found that interesting. Minimum period 12 hours, preferred 24 hours. FWIW
saggezza di scala
Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:55 am quote
This made me giggle.

GTS 300 super sport 2013
Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:13 am quote
Ok coffee, I am a coffe geek according to my friends.

So, bear with me.

1. Aeropress
2. Good grinder, in my case the mighty pharos
3. Water 85-90 degress, ni my case, a water kettle that has adjustable temperature.

Weigh up 17.4-17.9 grams of beans.
So, grind to somewhere between drip and espresso.
Turn aeropress upside down, set "plunger" to top of inside the number four.
Place filter inside the aeropress "filter holder"
Pour ground coffe into aeropress.
Fill up with 85-90 degree water, not all the way up to the rim.
Stir for 10-15 seconds. Set timer to 2 minutes. Fill upp close close to rim.
Pour some hot water through the filter to wet it.
Wait.
When the 2 minutes a gone, stir gently a few times, then put the filter holder on top, it is a bayonette style top.
Put upside down cup on top of the filter holder.
Turn so cup is down and press out lovely coffee.
Now, that is a full cup, no need to add any extra.

Then the water. Tap water produces bad coffee, and we still have really good water here in Sweden, but for coffee, not so much. I buy water, still of course.

The water should come straight from the fridge before heating. I put my kettle with the remaing water in the fridge.

Then Beans, I use the best beans from Sweden and Denmark. I pay about 70 dollars per kilo, only buy 250 gram bags.

Espresso, what can you say. It was invented during a financial crisis in Italy. No money to buy arabica beans, instead they had to use robusta which produces nasty coffe when brewed.
Someone discovered that when ground really fine and then pushing hot water under high pressure through it, roubusta produces decent coffe. So, no espresso for me.

Not that I do not appreciate a really good espresso, I do, but a good brewed cup is better in my book. Also, producing a really good espresso is so hard, I can't be bothered.
GTS 300 super sport 2013
Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:18 am quote
I should also say that that is MY way of making coffee the way I like it.
Taste can not be argued about. I respect any method of making coffee. Coffee should be fun and friggin lovely.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:34 am quote
I have this:

Don't use it everyday but when I really want a jolt it does the trick. Tastes great as long as you don't burn the coffee like Bommes indicated above.

I had never heard about this until I went to Rome. The woman we rented the apartment from said that all Rome households had one and in fact she had three of them.
Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:28 am quote
my aeropress arrived this morning. i did a quick test run with filtered water about 45 seconds off the boil, and the same amount of coffee that I use in my 300ml french press to fill to the 2-tasse measure. i used the inversion method and waited a couple of minutes (guessed rather than timed exactly).

very very pleased with the results - nice and robust (I'd tried cold filtered coffee a while back and didn't enjoy it at all - it tasted thin and feeble, like Tim Horton's ), but without that underlying burnt rubber taste that french press coffee gets if you get the temperature and brew time wrong by even a little bit.

it was so tasty i drank it without milk - that's rare for me
saggezza di scala
Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:18 pm quote
I suppose there's no end to the potential geekery. In many of the aeroshot videos I watched, the demo geeks are using electronic scales, stop watches, lab beakers and digital thermometers.

One of the things I specifically like about the aeropress is that in all my playing around with water temperature, coffee quantity and steep time, it has refused to make a bad cup of coffee.

No bitterness despite providing a rich, bold cup.

I just ordered a second aeropress and filters. I had envisioned using this primarily while traveling. But we have barely looked at our drip machine since our first taste of the aeropress. Besides, having two in the house will cut down on wait time when preparing multiple cups.
Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:21 pm quote
Look what I found on my front step today. Beans just went into the machine. Espresso just seconds away. Might not sleep for a few days, thanks to jimh, the MV Saint, and zootcoffee.com

I've made two week-plus visits to China over the past month. Just got back from the second one last night. I'm not tired from jet lag. I'm tired of freeze dried Nescafe. Now I'm loving the real stuff, thanks to smooth blends from a kind heart, jimh.

zootcoffe.dot.com_1.JPG

zootcoffe.dot.com_2.JPG

Resident Grump
Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:12 pm quote
Just in.
1L of cafetiere daily.

Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 5.45.53 PM.png

Hooked
Yellow GTS
Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:38 pm quote
Re: Just in.
tomjasz wrote:
1L of cafetiere daily.
Are these numbers assisted by the pharmaceutical industry?
Resident Grump
Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:10 pm quote
Diet.

Edit photo size.

image.jpg

Last edited by tomjasz on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Banned
PGO Buddy 150 "St Tropez" imported by Genuine scooter co.
Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:42 pm quote
Ossessionato
Chetak
Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:09 pm quote
Perhaps I should Not look at this thread at 10PM at nite? It makes me want to make a cup of coffee? The morning will come early! Six AM and so no coffee for me now. R
Hooked
'02 ET4
Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:22 pm quote
I have this to look forward to every day at the office. I hand grind as well with a
Pharos grinder using fresh beans from our local roaster.

2013-05-13_18-39-34_110.jpg

Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250
Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:53 am quote
Tempe-ET wrote:
I have this to look forward to every day at the office. I hand grind as well with a
Pharos grinder using fresh beans from our local roaster.
Holy smokes - err - coffee! That's beautiful!!
Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:53 am quote
The only thing worse than being talked about is...
… not being talked about

Well jimh,
Your Wilde Oscar Blend makes my favorite espresso. This week.

wilde_oscar_blend.jpg

GT200
Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:14 am quote
Treppenwitz wrote:
Lastly, I originally thought the funnel used to pour the coffee grounds was a wasted bit of equipment. The guy in the video doesn't use the funnel. True, if you are veeery careful (and very awake), you can scoop your ground coffee into the aeroshot cylinder without any problem.

The funnel is used to adjust the size of container that you can shoot the coffee into, rather than to add the grounds and water to the plunger tube.

It works well if you are shooting shots into a Nalgene water bottle or something similar.

~Gd
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456Next
[ Time: 0.2708s ][ Queries: 27 (0.1244s) ][ Debug on ]