NSR - Coffee lovers of MV!
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456Next
saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:45 am quote
climbamt wrote:
Treppenwitz wrote:
Lastly, I originally thought the funnel used to pour the coffee grounds was a wasted bit of equipment. The guy in the video doesn't use the funnel. True, if you are veeery careful (and very awake), you can scoop your ground coffee into the aeroshot cylinder without any problem.

The funnel is used to adjust the size of container that you can shoot the coffee into, rather than to add the grounds and water to the plunger tube.

It works well if you are shooting shots into a Nalgene water bottle or something similar.

~Gd
That's what I originally thought. But the Aeropress site says:
Quote:
...A funnel is provided for use with a coffee grinder. Use the scoop to measure the beans into the grinder. Grind only the scoops you need for each pressing. Then use the funnel to empty the grinder into the AeroPress chamber. ...
Besides, the bottom chamber of the press has an extended lip to sit on a wide range of cups while you push down. If you used the funnel under that you wouldn't be able to push down as required.
Ossessionato
Chetak
Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:06 pm quote
It s 9:05 pm local time must not make coffee! R
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, Something Chinese
Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:23 pm quote
I just read about this horrible deal on an old National Geographic mega article on Brazil. In 1960 the Government had an agreement with the coffee growers that if they did not sell their product the goverment would buy the surplus and sometimes ***brace yourselves*** BURN it. Not roast it, BURN it. I was flabbergasted.
Molto Verboso
LXS 150
Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:45 pm quote
Max6200 wrote:
I just read about this horrible deal on an old National Geographic mega article on Brazil. In 1960 the Government had an agreement with the coffee growers that if they did not sell their product the goverment would buy the surplus and sometimes ***brace yourselves*** BURN it. Not roast it, BURN it. I was flabbergasted.
11 years later, St*arbucks was founded.

And now you know... The Rest of The Story.
Hooked
Piaggio BV200
Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:07 pm quote
we have a home espresso machine.. my favorite drink is skinny iced mocha..
when we were in the business we sold Caffe Appassionato coffee we had shipped from Seattle.. it was our favorite .. our 2nd favorite was Seattles Best which now is sold (at least around here) at McDonalds.
Both are low acid roast. My least fav is Starbucks because it tastes (to me) like it's burned.
Hooked
Piaggio BV200
Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:08 pm quote
Rusty J wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
11 years later, St*arbucks was founded.

And now you know... The Rest of The Story.
Ah- that explains why it tastes like it's burned to a crisp..
Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150
Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:41 am quote
llazy1 wrote:
My least fav is Starbucks because it tastes (to me) like it's burned.
That's what we call branding
Enthusiast
LX 150
Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:05 am quote
Agree wholeheartedly with other posters who claim S'bux has a burned flavour. This is especially noticeable if you drink just espresso, straight up, no additives or modifications... which I do.
We use an automatic push-the-button espresso machine and an electric grinder -- not the highest state of the art, I freely admit -- but quite acceptable under the circumstances. We buy Lavazza whole beans in bulk with an Amazon subscription so we never run out.
Even my wife, who has doctored her coffee with cream and sugar all her life, has recently seen the light and started drinking black coffee and double espressos. There is hope for everyone.
And yes, this has everything to do with scoots.
Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:55 am quote
Drink and Drive
bobtuba wrote:
... double espressos... And yes, this has everything to do with scoots.
Espresso Doppio is what we drink and ride at my place.
Banned
2:6
Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:32 pm quote
Re: Obesity changes the game.
oopsclunkthud wrote:
I hereby submit myself as a test subject for the cafestol link.
BMI: 22 (ie not in the obesity camp)
blood pressure is low
eat a heart healthy diet
HDL is good: 67
triglycerides are rediculously low: 36

and yet my LDL is 154. I put it down to a fluke at first but three years on I think that's just what it is.

Next friday my new pour over filter set will get here and the experiment begins.
After one month of switching to filtered coffee my LDL is at 124. Still not as low as I'd like it but it is a 19% drop and I intentionally made no attempt to alter my diet or exercise over that period. I also did allow myself a really good caffe corretto a week ago.

never expected it to be a magic bullet but it is a nice step in the right direction. And I do enjoy pouring the water slowly over the coffee.
Addicted
1979 P200E, 2006 Piaggio Fly 150, 2010 GTS 300 Super
Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:53 pm quote
Grind Peet's Major Dickeson's, French or Italian roast in Cuisinart Conical Burr Grinder. Use filtered water. Cuisinart drip coffee maker with gold permanent filter. Pour into University of Florida mug. Consume. Repeat.

Weekend is Cafe Cubano in Rancilio espresso machine. Key is to run two blanks through and heat metal before brewing.
Resident Grump
MAC Motor, BBSHD. 30 Oct 2006
Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:33 pm quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
After one month of switching to filtered coffee my LDL is at 124. Still not as low as I'd like it but it is a 19% drop and I intentionally made no attempt to alter my diet or exercise over that period. I also did allow myself a really good caffe corretto a week ago.

never expected it to be a magic bullet but it is a nice step in the right direction. And I do enjoy pouring the water slowly over the coffee.
Congratulations! That's huge! Now chase some of that LDL out of your diet.
saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:19 pm quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
oopsclunkthud wrote:
I hereby submit myself as a test subject for the cafestol link.
BMI: 22 (ie not in the obesity camp)
blood pressure is low
eat a heart healthy diet
HDL is good: 67
triglycerides are rediculously low: 36

and yet my LDL is 154. I put it down to a fluke at first but three years on I think that's just what it is.

Next friday my new pour over filter set will get here and the experiment begins.

That's huge! Congratulations. From my experience, it may settle slightly lower over the coming months as your body gets used to being able to regulate production of cholesterol again. Now small changes in diet and exercise should take you to where you want to be.

Well done!
Resident Grump
Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:17 am quote
Cleveland Heart
I was wrong, looking at LDL numbers for old fat guys with coronary heart disease, and/or abdominal obesity

"Low density lipoprotein (LDL cholesterol) goal values:
Less than 70 mg/dL for those with heart or blood vessel disease and for other patients at very high risk of heart disease (those with metabolic syndrome)
Less than 100 mg/dL for high risk patients (for example: some patients who have diabetes or multiple heart disease risk factors)
Less than 130 mg/dL otherwise"

You be done! My new goal is 70, another 26%.
Addicted
07 GTS, 07 Stella
Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:39 am quote
Gold Box - $19.99
Amazon's gold box deal on the aeropress got me off the fence to try this. I only expect to slightly reduce my french press use, but we'll see how it goes.

Amazon AeroPress deal
Resident Grump
Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:42 pm quote
Re: Just in.
The lovelies numbers on a whole food, vegetable based diet and a 3 TBS Arabica in 24oz Bodum pressed pot daily.

Total Cholesterol: 147
triglycerides: 67
HDL: 64
LDL: 70

zzzzz.jpg

Addicted
Piaggio BV350
Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:55 pm quote
I enjoy a great cup of coffee to start my day!
I've tried french press, aeropress, cold brew and almost everything else, BUT two months ago I tried a Keurig for the first time and I am in LUV!
I've simplified my coffee choices down to "Jet Fuel", which curl your hair and slap you in the face (thank you very much), and "Donut Shop" regular. Some other coffees I have tried and will drink on occassion but the overall opinion is that the Keurig brewer makes a great cup of coffee. With a Mr. Coffee mug heater, I never have a bad cup of coffee.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:41 pm quote
Re: Just in.
tomjasz wrote:
The lovelies numbers on a whole food, vegetable based diet and a 3 TBS Arabica in 24oz Bodum pressed pot daily.

Total Cholesterol: 147
triglycerides: 67
HDL: 64
LDL: 70
Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:16 am quote
Check out this mug. The cup was reclaimed and refinished after artisans Handmade Spark sandblasted a scooter image into it. Nice 3-D effect, and whimsical design.
Items can be custom ordered. I am enquiring about mugs of the color of my scoots (espresso) with the scooter image.

mug_scooter_1.jpg

scooter_art.jpg

Last edited by sharpcolorado on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:49 am quote
This is a great topic!
Molto Verboso
2016 Piaggio BV-350
Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:27 am quote
I have a Nespresso machine, but since having the kids, I prefer to use my Cuisinart bean-to-cup machine.

I buy either Medellin Supremo or Jamaican blue mountain beans, then let the machine work it's magic.

One thing I've noticed is Starbucks UK tastes different to Starbucks USA. Less of an over-roasted flavour.

My boring machine...

image.jpg

Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie, GT 200 (cannonball scoot)
Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:05 am quote
FYI-
Handmade Spark is a marketing site for people who use etsy.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BreadandBadger
This is the actual shop that made the teacup. (Not available anymore... boo ) But they do have tons of other funky mugs and glassware for your cupboards. You could probably also make a request for a mug with the scooter on it.
Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:11 am quote
At the office. I love this thing!

image.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:48 pm quote
Great write up on the Aeropress and its inventor…
http://priceonomics.com/the-invention-of-the-aeropress/
Hooked
PX150
Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:31 pm quote
Its Nespresso all the way for me. I've had the Gaggia, with grinder & only used it once a week, because it was such a hassle...

I really enjoy the coffee I get from the Nespresso & I can experiment with different flavours without risking an awful cup of coffee.
Hooked
2016 Electra Townie and One Wheel
Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:00 pm quote
Yum

image.jpg

Ossessionato

Fri May 02, 2014 9:36 am quote
Removed by XLR8

Last edited by XLR8 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150
Fri May 02, 2014 3:58 pm quote
I made my first batch of toddy coffee of the year just in time for the first hot days. Cold toddy mocha...so smooth, so tasty!
2008 s125
Sun May 04, 2014 3:51 am quote
Just got an aeropress last week for work use. Still working out best recipe for my taste. Best so far was: Two scoops fine grind into cylinder (funnel optional depending on steadiness of hand). Water from zip (~80C) up to four mark in plunger (not cylinder), put half into drinking cup, other half in another cup in microwave for 30 sec to heat up to almost boiling. Slow pour that cup into cylinder. 10 sec stir with paddle. 50 sec stoop. Slow plunge (no slower). Drink!

Used to use French press, and ended up with gunk in bottom of cup. Not with the aero. Also easier to clean. Just unscrew black cap, and plunge into bin, then rinse all parts.

Found the areopress to make a nice smooth cup. Almost espresso quality. Still can make a bad brew though, have over and under extracted when haven't got the mixture right (too much/little coffee or water), stooped for too short or long, or extracted too quickly.
Hooked
Sun May 04, 2014 5:43 am quote
My at home coffee lab

image.jpg

Addicted
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900
Sun May 04, 2014 6:54 am quote
Re: My at home coffee lab
Javakid wrote:
You've been bitten by Philz as well I see. Have you ever been to one of his brick and mortar? It's quite the experience.

I especially find it fascinating how they insist you try it and affirm it's good to them before you can walk away from the counter. I typically need a few moments to let it cool, but feel obligated to oblige and end up burning many taste buds.
Hooked
Sun May 04, 2014 9:16 am quote
Re: My at home coffee lab
Shebalba wrote:
Javakid wrote:
You've been bitten by Philz as well I see. Have you ever been to one of his brick and mortar? It's quite the experience.

I especially find it fascinating how they insist you try it and affirm it's good to them before you can walk away from the counter. I typically need a few moments to let it cool, but feel obligated to oblige and end up burning many taste buds.
Just enjoyed an "in the flesh"'visit a couple months ago while in San Jose, right by the university...I enjoyed Peets as well!
Resident Grump
Wed May 07, 2014 5:26 pm quote
Update

Last edited by tomjasz on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250
Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:35 am quote
BVBob wrote:
We found this small town coffee roaster in West Middlesex, P.A. a few years back on a scooter ride. Just went there today -by scooters- to get a couple pounds. They make this stuff called "Burgh Blend" that is really, really good. It's short for Pittsburgh Blend. Hardy but smooth. Great ride into the county with coffee as a destination is a hard combo to beat.
http://www.oneillcoffee.com/

Bob
Following your suggestion, we drove by there last year for some coffee. So yesterday I rode up for more good coffee.

The young lady minding the store is "in the family" and she told me they are planning to offer their own K cups in the next few months. She actually said September, but I'm doubting they'll do it that quickly.

Just a little heads up.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:33 am quote
After 7 years service, I changed out my previous espresso machine. This is my current sweetheart. Showy little devil, but mostly it has great temperature stability and steams like a train.

Vibiemme.jpg

Lurker
Piaggio
Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:26 pm quote
Currently we're drinking Misty Acres coffee. It's a whole bean estate grown Guatemalan variety of Arabica coffee produced here on the Hamakua coast so it's smoother than the Kona coffee grown on the other side of the island. It's last month's medium roast. We also really like the "gulch" coffee our friend makes, but he's not been picking the beans from the old coffee trees in the gulch lately so we've run out of that and I don't know if we will ever get any more unless we go pick the beans ourselves.

Coffee Dave of JavaAloha coffee has some pretty good beans, too. http://hawaiiwhitemountain.com/coffee.aspx He's still a small coffee producer but makes enough to sell consistently which is always good to be able to get more when you like something. His farm is up over past Pau'uilo towards Laupahoehoe somewhere but I've not visited it, we usually see Dave at the farmer's market on the weekends.

We generally just make coffee in a French press. It's quick and easy which is a good thing since this is generally done before having coffee in the morning.

If you have green beans and want to roast them yourself, one of those hot air pop corn poppers works pretty well. Get the kind where the hot air comes in the sides instead of at the bottom of the cooking chamber. Or a dry cast iron pan on a hot stove works, but disable the smoke detectors before you start. You want to roast it until it almost but just quite doesn't smoke, the beans will be very dark brown but not black and when you hear the first crackle popping sounds, dump them out and spread them over a cool baking sheet so they will cool off quickly. A marble slab used for making pastry is also a good choice for cooling down the beans quickly.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:19 pm quote
Niele DaKine wrote:
If you have green beans and want to roast them yourself, one of those hot air pop corn poppers works pretty well.
We have a modded one at work that we can turn off the heater but leave the blower on for a quick cool down. Usually I go until 2nd crack.

In other news, just about through my paper filters on the aeropress, is a stainless mesh filter a good investment?
Molto Verboso
'12 GTS 300 Super
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 am quote
Niele DaKine wrote:
If you have green beans and want to roast them yourself, one of those hot air pop corn poppers works pretty well.
Now this discussion is getting closer to how you make really great coffee. Brew it anyway that works for you. But first - start with a good Arabica green bean. Roast it yourself or obtain from a local roaster so that it has been roasted within the last 2 or 3 days. Grind it just before brewing. The difference between that and stale pre-ground coffee will be amazing.
Resident Grump
Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:39 am quote
Re: Coffee etymology
Great piece well worth the read! Thanks! Still on the french press here with LDL of 85 w/o medication. Plant base diets not only turn health, vitality, and life in general around they have one huge perk for me. Coffee at it's best. Popcorn roasters here. I still prefer my bialetti press or stovetop to all others. Except maybe the vacuum pot. But the style of brew kind of goes by mood.But unfettered by diet.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456Next
[ Time: 0.2254s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0818s) ][ Debug on ]