NSR - Coffee lovers of MV!
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, Something Chinese
Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:41 pm quote
G*d knows how much I love coffee. I am still using a regular barista coffee maker. Oh wait! Did I read the whole thread? Nope. I am a mess.
07 GT200, 00 Kawi W650, 80 Honda CM400T (Kermit), 76 CB550K project, 84 Naked GL1200, 81 CX500 Deluxe, 77 Naked GL1000
Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:09 pm quote
Coffee is a big deal in our house, almost as big a deal as proper vodka martinis and bourbon old fashions.

I think we have a half dozen different ways to make coffee in our house and use just about all of them. Most of the weekdays, my wife uses the Cuisinart thing that you put your whole beans in and coffee comes out. It's decent coffee but a PITA to clean so I stay away from that on work days and just drink the free pod coffee at work, it kind of sucks but did I mention it's free? On the weekends I have a Quickmill espresso machine and grinder that I play around with for milk based drinks, I'd like to drink straight espresso but I suck at making espresso. We also take the time on weekends to make a pot of french press or chemex if we are feeling frisky. The french press is our favorite but man are we flying after a couple cups of it.

We get our beans from an overpriced gourmet store that roasts. They have a few dozen beans but we've found our favorites and stick to them for the most part, both are blends that the owners have come up with over the years. I also drink mine with heavy cream and sugar. Once you go heavy you can't go back
saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:27 am quote
Reviving this thread to share an interesting find.

Despite the fact that I have pretty much given up any form of coffee that isn't filtered through paper (see my previous post here for my reason), on rare and special occasions such as dinner parties and vacations, I treat myself (and anyone else who happens to be with me) to a wonderful cup of French press or Turkish coffee, depending on mood and preference.

I would say these rare servings of French press or Turkish coffee occur no more than 4 or 5 time per year. But wow, what a treat.

Well, about 6 months ago, my wife and I were at a friend's house for a dinner party. When dessert was served the host served a mind-blowingly delicious cup of coffee brewed in a traditional Neapolitan 'flip pot' (called a cuccumella in Italian). Google it, if you're as ignorant of this method as I was.

Ever since that evening I have been a bit obsessed with finding a flip pot. It is a completely impractical thing to buy considering it will get used maybe two or three times per year, tops. But I figured it would be the perfect late summer treat for when we rent the bungalow on the beach south of Haifa every year.

I found a vintage Italian 1950s copper flip pot for sale for an obscenely reasonable price (less than $50!) and took it as a sign that I had to have it. It is an extra big one that makes 12-14 cups. I haven't tried it out yet, but we may have to throw a stew for a bunch of friends when I get back from Botswana next week to give it a test run.

Pictures to follow.

Last edited by Treppenwitz on Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:18 am; edited 2 times in total
saggezza di scala
Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:35 am quote
The find...

saggezza di scala
Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:40 am quote
The insides...

Molto Verboso
'12 GTS 300 Super
Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:56 pm quote
Interesting. Never seen one of those. Looking forward to hearing about the results.
Enthusiast
'13 Bonneville, '09 KLR650, and soon aeither a Primavera or a Sprint
Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:51 am quote
Most of the time it's a regular drip coffee maker, fresh ground coffee. At least a couple times a week, however, the french pressed coffee is still, imho, the best coffee ever.

When I am out riding or just hanging at a coffee house, it's usually a large drip with 2 add shots.

Always black.

Oh, and my favorite roaster?

http://cafemoto.com/

Never had a bad bean from them.
Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910
Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:40 pm quote
hippiebrian wrote:

if you're in Long Beach, what about Rose Park? They just opened a lovely little cafe and they're local...

I'm currently rotating through Stumptown, Compelling n Rich, de cafe baristas, and whatever Cognoscenti happens to have available on Saturdays. All 'spro. Also get cafe vita whenever I'm in that East Hollywood nabe. Weighting for Verve to finally start roasting in DTLA.
Hooked
GTS300ie Super
Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:07 pm quote
Bay City coffee images a great cp of Joe.
Enthusiast
Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:31 am quote
tonyc wrote:
hippiebrian wrote:

if you're in Long Beach, what about Rose Park? They just opened a lovely little cafe and they're local...

I'm currently rotating through Stumptown, Compelling n Rich, de cafe baristas, and whatever Cognoscenti happens to have available on Saturdays. All 'spro. Also get cafe vita whenever I'm in that East Hollywood nabe. Weighting for Verve to finally start roasting in DTLA.
Thanks, I'd heard of them but didn't know they had a shop open up. I'll take a little ride down there on Monday, try a cup and buy some beans!
Enthusiast
Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:53 am quote
hippiebrian wrote:
tonyc wrote:
hippiebrian wrote:

Thanks, I'd heard of them but didn't know they had a shop open up. I'll take a little ride down there on Monday, try a cup and buy some beans!
Well, I rode over to the shop and picked up a bag of a Kenyan blend. WOW, delicious, they are now my favorite! (still gotta give props to Cafe Moto, though. Probably picking up a pound while I'm in town for Mods vs. Rockers).
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:35 pm quote
Being a lazy sod, I don't do a cappuccino the 'normal' way i.e frothing in the stainless steel container to the correct temp, pouring the warmed milk into the espresso and spooning the froth on top. No. I just do it all in the cup. Quick and easy. And I use supermarket beans. So there. Sometimes I have one in the evening too!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:49 pm quote
hippiebrian wrote:

And my favorite roaster - me! Happens in the kitchen. Vent it out the oven hood.

GC.jpg

Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:04 pm quote
wow. bumping from the dead. Still on cognoscenti beans but got myself one of these for camping/glamping this month:
https://aeropress.com/aeropress-go/

it's super easy to use on the road, but at home, i'm still on cortados.
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:50 pm quote
Best coffee shop around. Warm lighting, friendly little shop. Music from big bands to stuff I've never heard of - that the young folks like.
He rotates through 7 or 8 different coffee beans each day. Always fully robust brewed.
Including, Kenyan, Guatemalan, Mexican. Colombian....and something left out in the monsoons!

Opens at 6:45AM. Worth the wait!

Bradley Cooper and Dave Chappelle were in there not so long ago to premier their movie in the village theater. Lady Gaga went missing....
Dave lives in town and owns the building which I sit in front of every morning with my scooter.

O.S.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:16 pm quote
OldSchooot wrote:
Best coffee shop around. Warm lighting, friendly little shop. Music from big bands to stuff I've never heard of - that the young folks like.
He rotates through 7 or 8 different coffee beans each day. Always fully robust brewed.
Including, Kenyan, Guatemalan, Mexican. Colombian....and something left out in the monsoons!

Opens at 6:45AM. Worth the wait!

Bradley Cooper and Dave Chappelle were in there not so long ago to premier their movie in the village theater. Lady Gaga went missing....
Dave lives in town and owns the building which I sit in front of every morning with my scooter.

O.S.
I am loving it. Thanks for sharing. Did you get an autograph from Bradley?
Hooked
2018 GTV300 sei giorni, 2012 LXV 125ie and V90
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:46 am quote
I have never heard of la cuccumella, very interesting, need to try it some day. Coffee in our house is the must important part of the day. I Live in antigua Guatemala, actually my house is next to a coffee plantation and coffee mill.
I normally drink espresso but from time to time enjoy my Moka or other methods. I like to roast my beans but my roaster died

If anyone would like some beans from Guatemala, I can gladly send them on my next trip to the US.

939D9AD1-840C-4A62-A7EE-44A87E6797DA.jpeg
Cimballina and Caravel from the late 50s

A60C32BE-F9FC-43DF-8360-CAE2B58287F9.jpeg

9CC39819-3140-4F70-B049-E386D8CB426A.jpeg

A8F6F413-92FB-474F-9EB7-7D058D7A58B2.jpeg
My favorite cup

Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:08 am quote
Fantastic this topic ...!
OldSchooot with its beautiful images, many at night and then all places with Italian names ... Dino's and others ... but also Valvitola has its beautiful Vespa style atmospheres, I am even touched ... Beautiful, very beautiful, as much as I would fear offer each of you a croissant and a coffee or even a cappuccino but here, in Italy.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:32 am quote
Attila wrote:
Fantastic this topic ...!
OldSchooot with its beautiful images, many at night and then all places with Italian names ... Dino's and others ... but also Valvitola has its beautiful Vespa style atmospheres, I am even touched ... Beautiful, very beautiful, as much as I would fear offer each of you a croissant and a coffee or even a cappuccino but here, in Italy.
An even more fantastic post from Guatemala. I enjoy the pictures.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456
[ Time: 0.1630s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0351s) ][ Debug on ]