Transporting GTV and LXV - Trailer In A Bag Dual
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:28 am quote
Here is the Trailer In A Bag Dual setup for transport of my GTV and LXV. Condor Scooter Chocks grab the bikes wonderfully. Comes with a ramp.
Plans are bring them to San Diego, Arizona, New Mexico and other warm-weather spots as Colorado cools. Will be inspected and licensed this week.

gtv_lxv_trailerinaboxdual_1.jpg

gtv_lxv_trailerinaboxdual_2.jpg

gtv_lxv_trailerinaboxdual_3.jpg

gtv_lxv_trailerinaboxdual_4.jpg

Last edited by sharpcolorado on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hooked
2009 Piaggio BV250 & 2013 BMW C650 GT
Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:47 am quote
Nice! I love my TiaB. I have the single-rail model but there are times when a dual-rail might be handy. Have you tried just one bike on yours (with both rails) or is it fairly easy to convert back and forth?
Ossessionato
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221
Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:36 pm quote
My scooter has a sticker affixed stating that if bike is found on a trailer it's obviously stolen.
Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:42 pm quote
Willie B wrote:
My scooter has a sticker affixed stating that if bike is found on a trailer it's obviously stolen.
Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:44 pm quote
DavidH wrote:
Nice! I love my TiaB. I have the single-rail model but there are times when a dual-rail might be handy. Have you tried just one bike on yours (with both rails) or is it fairly easy to convert back and forth?
Converts very easily to one. Pull 10 pins and put 6 back in a different configuration. Comes with a different head, too.

Last edited by sharpcolorado on Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:00 pm quote
DavidH wrote:
We have the dual TiaB and yes, I've used it with just one rail. Very easy to configure it for either one or two scoots.
Ossessionato
Piaggio Fly 150
Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:38 pm quote
For long trips like you suggest I would suggest the following:

Get one whee/tire for a spare, two would be good. Those tires are turning twice as fast as your car tires, and they are poor quality to start with (there are no high quality ones in those small sizes so don't look.) Harbor Freight has them, and I have never seen better ones.

Get two complete sets of wheel bearings plus the tools and jack to replace them on the road. And know how to do it (easy.)

Install Bearing Buddies and Bearing Buddy Bras and have a loaded grease gun with you.

Every time you stop feel both bearings. They should be the same temperature. If one is hot give it some grease, or swap it out. The third or forth time you do it it won't take as long.

Don't let this discourage you. Light trailers with little wheels are OK, you just have to live within their limitations.
Hooked
2001 et4150 bought in july 2012 with 5300 miles for $1400
Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:19 pm quote
nice looking trailer
Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa 250 gts / 1961 Vespa VBA / 1964 Vespa VNB
Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:48 pm quote
When you get to Phoenix, let us know! We'll get a ride in while you're here!
(http://www.facebook.com/vespaaz)
Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:58 pm quote
With the axle so close to the back of the trailer I think you might be better off if both scooters had the back tire directly above the axle instead of one being in front. It might be fine the way it is; but that was my thought when I saw it.
Enthusiast
GTS-300 Super
Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:25 pm quote
I am looking for a trailer and was wondering if you could tell me where you found this I see one sold by a CE Smith is this the same?

Thanks
Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:26 pm quote
heinlein wrote:
With the axle so close to the back of the trailer I think you might be better off if both scooters had the back tire directly above the axle instead of one being in front. It might be fine the way it is; but that was my thought when I saw it.
Trailerinabox.com
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:46 pm quote
Callipygian wrote:
I am looking for a trailer and was wondering if you could tell me where you found this I see one sold by a CE Smith is this the same?

Thanks
You might find them at this site: http://www.trailerinabag.com/
Ossessionato
Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:51 pm quote
sharpcolorado wrote:
heinlein wrote:
Trailerinabox.com
I was hoping to find some info there; but I couldn't find any info on the trailer shown in the OP.
Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:00 pm quote
You want the "dual" option of trailerinabag. Info and photos are there.

You can also search Google.com (images) for "trailer in a bag dual"
Ossessionato
Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:12 pm quote
sharpcolorado wrote:
You want the "dual" option of trailerinabag. Info and photos are there.

You can also search Google.com (images) for "trailer in a bag dual"
I found it under trailerinabag.com apparently bags are better than boxes. I see it says that you just load the bikes and it will be set for tongue weight; but every single picture of the 100 listed under "Photos" showed the back tire above or behind the axle. But I also see in the dual photos that they have them staggered so one might be ahead of the axle.

It's probably fine; but if it feels squirelly I would check the tongue weight.
Molto Verboso
None
Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:05 pm quote
Tor2ga wrote:
For long trips like you suggest I would suggest the following:

Get one whee/tire for a spare, two would be good. Those tires are turning twice as fast as your car tires, and they are poor quality to start with (there are no high quality ones in those small sizes so don't look.) Harbor Freight has them, and I have never seen better ones.

Get two complete sets of wheel bearings plus the tools and jack to replace them on the road. And know how to do it (easy.)

Install Bearing Buddies and Bearing Buddy Bras and have a loaded grease gun with you.

Every time you stop feel both bearings. They should be the same temperature. If one is hot give it some grease, or swap it out. The third or forth time you do it it won't take as long.

Don't let this discourage you. Light trailers with little wheels are OK, you just have to live within their limitations.
Interesting advice...

-- Spare tire is a good idea, but I got one more to deal with odd events that might require a tire remount.

-- Pack those bearings? This from TIB's FAQ: "These trailers do not come with any type of fittings on the wheels. Pack the bearings full of grease but the housing should not be packed full. Bearing manufacturers recommend that for bearings being used at sustained high speeds, the bearing housing should be packed with 30% to 50% air space in order for the heat to dissipate. Installation and use of a grease fitting may cause the bearings to overheat and will VOID the warranty."

"The bearings are tapered roller bearings similar to the bearings that are in your car or bike and are rated at 7500 RPM. This size tire at 7500 RPM is the equivalent of 360 MPH, certainly not recommended. However, this should answer any concerns there may be about the bearings or about the tires turning the bearings too fast. The trailer pictured on our web site with the black and white bike has over 150,000 miles on it in just the past five years and still has the original bearings in it. Most of those miles are highway miles."

-- Harbor Freight is not exactly my standard for quality.
Banned
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X
Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:09 pm quote
Those trailers are of decent design and work well but I would definitely upgrade the wheels to at least 12 inchers before I hauled my scoots with it. No way I would ever get on the highway with those small wheels. They are meant for shorter, non highway distances. I can't say it enough to upgrade to larger tires for the distances you are planning to cover. Taller tires make a huge difference on the road, remaining a lot cooler than those tiny ones will be. The taller the better. A 4.80x12 is the absolute minimum I would use, A 5.30 x12 tire is even better and the size I use on my trailer. You can easily drill new holes and move the mudflaps up on your trailer to accommodate the larger wheel size.

Here is a pic of my trailer last week. Had a blowout in North Carolina going 35 mph in town (so lucky it didn't go on the Interstate). Looks like the sidewall gave way and it separated, the tires are only about a year old and I check the air pressure religiously before and after trips. I put the spare on and headed back-tracked to a Walmart where I purchased 2 new Carlisle rims and tires. I wasn't taking another chance with the tire on the other side either, especially at 80 mph which is why I replaced both. This was my first flat of any kind driving on the road in the 19 years I've been driving.

I have made many modifications to my trailer and it is really set to haul some bikes/scoots. You can see I welded a spare tire holder up from and installed a good set of grease able bearing buddies on the axles with dust covers. I grease them once or twice a year. I also added a trailer jack (3rd wheel roller) to the trailer tongue. This is about the best bolt-on modification I ever made and we have them on all our trailers. You can then roll the trailer around once you un-hitch it from your vehicle, no need to lift the tongue anymore to move it, keeping your back safe and pain free. I also ditched the heavy 80lb built in ramps that came with the trailer in favor of a aluminum ramp I hang on the side via some welded mounts. A friend who is a welding expert also modified the rear on the trailer adding a reenforced floor that flares out behind the wheels so a 3rd scoot can be hauled sideways across the rear.

I also recommend letting the most of the air out of the scooter tires while in tow as it keeps them from moving or bouncing about. I've been hauling bikes/scoots long distances for about 12 years now and I've learned what does and does not work.

BTW .... a trailer jack like this. It is a cheap lifesaver in the event of getting a flat. You simply put it under the trailer axle and roll the trailer forward slowly, lifting the trailer up. Saved me on this trip, let me tell you. you can't see it in the pic but it is small and sits behind the spare tire on the trailer in the pic below.

trailer1.jpg

trailer 2.jpg

Last edited by VEZPA on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:32 am; edited 21 times in total
Molto Verboso
None
Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:12 pm quote
Some folks seem to look down their nose at those who choose to trailer their scooters or other PTWs.

I got a TIB in May and have used it twice.

The first time was to take delivery of my BV 350. The dealer is over 100 miles away. I had a narrow time window, and Amtrak wasn't an option. So I drove down and picked it up. Simple.

The second time was after the severe windstorm in late June. The BV was blown over, suffered some cosmetic damage, and the handlebars were cocked. I didn't know if there was hidden damage. So the scoot went on the trailer for the trip down to the dealer.
Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:34 am quote
Good tips, VEZPA. Glad you are experience, and care to share.
- Will get that easy jack
- Will upgrade tires from current 5.7 x 8
Resident Grump
MAC Motor, BBSHD. 30 Oct 2006
Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:44 am quote
LJClark wrote:
Some folks seem to look down their nose at those who choose to trailer their scooters or other PTWs.

There's just no accounting for the lack of sense.
Hooked
2015 GTS SUUUUPPPPEEEERRRRR,
Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:09 am quote
I've trailered a Silverwing on a tiab many highway miles with no problems. They are well designed and made and the bearings need no lube.

If you look on the site gallery in the scooter section you can see how I even pulled the tiab behind the scooter.
Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:22 am quote
JerseyBiker wrote:
If you look on the site gallery in the scooter section you can see how I even pulled the tiab behind the scooter.
I saw that. Very cool.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:44 am quote
VEZPA wrote:
Those trailers are of decent design and work well but I would definitely upgrade the wheels to at least 12 inchers before I hauled my scoots with it. No way I would ever get on the highway with those small wheels. They are meant for shorter, non highway distances.
We've done trips of 1,200-1,500 miles on the stock wheels all 65+ roads with heavier scoots than the Vespas (Burgmans) and I've seen them with full dress Harleys on them so I wouldn't worry but to each their own.
Resident Grump
Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:01 am quote
There *are* quality tires available in 8" sizes. There are also bearings more than capable of the rotation stresses. Trailer tires are generally ranked by load range and ply in the smaller sizes. Harbor Fright? No thanks, but others sell Kenda in a variety of load ranges. I prefer a larger tire, but that's just my preference. Someone will certainly come along and quip they have run fast and long on an HF trailer. Great, I'm glad it worked out. Personally I want at least 10" and load range C. It just takes some common sense. BTW I've trailered 1000's of miles with anything from dirt boats to 500 gallon spray rigs. That grants me a license to have a personal opinion, no more no less.
Banned
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X
Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 am quote
tomjasz wrote:
Personally I want at least 10" and load range C.
Tom brought up a good point that I forgot to mention when talking about trailer tires. He is correct and any tire you have on your trailer should be load range C.
Hooked
2012 Plum GTS 300
Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:09 pm quote
cdwise wrote:
VEZPA wrote:
Those trailers are of decent design and work well but I would definitely upgrade the wheels to at least 12 inchers before I hauled my scoots with it. No way I would ever get on the highway with those small wheels. They are meant for shorter, non highway distances.
We've done trips of 1,200-1,500 miles on the stock wheels all 65+ roads with heavier scoots than the Vespas (Burgmans) and I've seen them with full dress Harleys on them so I wouldn't worry but to each their own.
+1

I took a stock Lowes 5x8 trailer with 10 inch wheels 600 miles straight and did not have any issues. Rated for around 1600 lbs. I had the 300 GTS and several pieces of luggage on it and it worked like a champ.
Molto Verboso
None
Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:25 pm quote
Re: Transporting GTV and LXV - Trailer In A Box Dual
sharpcolorado wrote:
Here is the Trailer In A Box Dual setup for transport of my GTV and LXV. Will be inspected and licensed this week.
In your photos the tail light with the license plate holder is on the right side of the trailer vice the left side. Was this just for photo purposes? Otherwise, and unless you switched the holder or re-did the wires, your trailer turn signals will be opposite the towing vehicle's.

Also, if you did the LED upgrade, your lights are probably not DOT legal and you won't get sufficient illumination onto the license plate. TIB seems to be a pretty well made product, but just sticking a couple of LED bulbs into the sockets doesn't answer the mail. If a person wants LEDs on their TIB, the best solution is to go to the auto parts store and look around. Companies sell DOT-approved LED trailer light sets in exactly the same form factor as the stock TIB lights.

(Side Note: Whoever made up my TIB wiring harness completely dorked up the connections. It was only when I installed the proper LED light set and connected the wires properly that things worked right.)

With regard to the tongue weight...You can check this with a bathroom scale if you have a reasonably flat surface -- no need to speculate (like, ahem, a few folks here). If your tongue weight is in the manufacturer's 120-160 lb range, you're good.

Last edited by LJClark on Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo
Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:40 pm quote
sharpcolorado,
It looks to me like your trailer has too much tongue weight and the axle should be a little more forward to divvy up the weight a little more.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:24 pm quote
Richard H. Lemmon wrote:
sharpcolorado,
It looks to me like your trailer has too much tongue weight and the axle should be a little more forward to divvy up the weight a little more.
Those are the factory mounted/welded chocks which are in the same place as mine which is over 4 years old. Never had a problem with tongue weight on a class 3 hitch.
Hooked
Red LX50 "Madame Castafiore"
Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:05 am quote
Scooters side by side look like ...........

lol

run.jpg

Resident Grump
Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:14 am quote
cdwise wrote:
Richard H. Lemmon wrote:
sharpcolorado,
Those are the factory mounted/welded chocks which are in the same place as mine which is over 4 years old. Never had a problem with tongue weight on a class 3 hitch.
Anyone know what the tongue weight is with two scoots? Like Richard, it looks weighted to the hitch to me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:24 am quote
No idea what the tongue weight it but I could easily move the trailer around by hand and I'd have problems if it weghted the 160lbs mentioned in the 120-160lb referenced earlier in this thread. Granted that was with a Burgman on it not two Vespas which is only slightly less than the two Vespas pictured combined.
Resident Grump
Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:45 am quote
Thanks for the confirmation CD!
Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:08 am quote
Weighed the loaded configuration as shown in the OP before disassembling the trailer.

Trailer In A Bag Dual
2012 GTV and 2012 LXV
Tongue weight 195 lbs loaded
Tongue weight 65 lbs empty
Trailer gross weight empty 315 lbs
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.3046s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0605s) ][ Debug on ]