Hair advice from ladies and certain gentleman.
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
2011 lxv 150, 2011 bmv g650gs, 2009 scarabeo 200
Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:50 pm quote
my wife is looking a suggestion for dealing with long hair and riding. She has never had long hair and ridden at the same so the issue has never presented itself before.

wearing it down is leading to split ends (the horror ). And she is not interested in braiding it, and it is just short enough when she turns her head it comes out of her jacket.

Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Literider Envy

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:55 pm quote
Some sort of ponytail wrap would probably be a good idea. There's lots of places you can get them. Most Harley shops have tons to choose from, as well as Etsy. They come in all sorts of different lengths and materials. Leather or neoprene are the most common.

There's also the kind I recently got at a ren fair, from http://www.hairtwisters.com/. It's a long metal spiral that wraps around the ponytail, and attaches to the ponytail holder at the top. For riding, I usually put a ponytail holder around the bottom, too. I use the 12" one and still have some hair come out the bottom.

Always carry a stash of ponytail holders. There will come a time when no other solution is available, and you can use them for rubber bands to hold other things. Sometimes, all you can do is wrap extra bands around your hair, or braid it, and go on your way.

And long hair gets split ends. It's a fact of life. You just whack them off every few months. There's not a lot you can do other than keep the hair healthy as possible to decrease them. Anything that claims it can "repair" split ends is an outright lie. Once they're split, they're split. You cut them, and that's that.

Last edited by Witch on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
GTS 300 Midnight Blue
Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:01 pm quote
I have pretty long hair and I find that snoods work pretty well for me. Mine are basically hand crocheted hair nets. I can easily put my hair back in them, then my helmet holds the net in place while riding. Sure, I may look a little unusual, but at least my hair isn't a giant snarly mess when I am done. I got mine from etsy.com
Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150
Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:57 pm quote
I put mine in a pony tail, then tuck it under whatever I'm wearing to protect my neck and put on my coat. Those hair twisters look pretty useful, gotta order one.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:23 pm quote
Put pony tail holders every 1-1.5 inches if she doesn't want to braid it. It doesn't sound long enough to use one of the hair wraps. Otherwise she can use one of the helmet liners and tuck her hair up inside it, flat so it won't make her helmet uncomfortable.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou" 2001 ET2 "Luna"
Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:33 pm quote
dreamweaver wrote:
I have pretty long hair and I find that snoods work pretty well for me. Mine are basically hand crocheted hair nets. I can easily put my hair back in them, then my helmet holds the net in place while riding. Sure, I may look a little unusual, but at least my hair isn't a giant snarly mess when I am done. I got mine from etsy.com
I use snoods also if i don't braid. (braiding IS very effective)

In the late 80's-early 90's a trendy thing was a barrette with a snood attached. The barrette created a ponytail and then the ponytail was tucked into the snood. I REALLY would like to find a few of those.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:25 am quote
not long now
pull on helmet n ride ..... its disappearing anyway
Molto Verboso
Vespa ET4

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:15 am quote
This is the BEST helmet liner/hair protector I have ever had. It works wonderfully and is extremely easy to use.

http://raci-babi.com/Doo-Rag-and-Helmet-Liner-Order.aspx
2011 lxv 150, 2011 bmv g650gs, 2009 scarabeo 200
Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:19 am quote
thanks everyone, i will pass along the tips to the wife
Addicted
GTV 250
Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:35 am quote
I swear by this:
http://www.2uptouring.com/Helmet-Liners.aspx
Ossessionato
1964 GS 160 MK II, 1967 Vespa GT, 1968 SS180, 1964 Vespa GL, 1964 Vespa VBB, 2006 Buddy 125, 2013 BMW C650GT
Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:45 am quote
If I don't braid I use a bunch of ties. Just be sure to not use the ones with the metal connectors. They get really annoying when they hit your helmet (tink....tink tink....tink)

For long rides Gordon is my copilot. I clip him on at the bottom of my tail for a little weight to keep things from flying around....and really...who doesn't love ALF?

Ossessionato
looking again
Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:21 am quote
ravenlore wrote:
dreamweaver wrote:
I use snoods also if i don't braid. (braiding IS very effective)

In the late 80's-early 90's a trendy thing was a barrette with a snood attached. The barrette created a ponytail and then the ponytail was tucked into the snood. I REALLY would like to find a few of those.
+1 on braiding!
won't catch me in a snood, but...
...it's never too late to change your (her) mind about braiding. she should see her hair person; really.
i tuck mine into the shirt/jacket while riding, usually...it's a right pita to work out the tangles if you don't confine it. i'm not a hair mechanic, maybe our tonsorial resident mathew will shed some light on the damages done with putting a 'rubber band/equivalent' every couple inches or so. i think they contribute to abrasions that create splits. i braid and put the elastic at the bottom to keep the splits contained there rather than further up the braid/ponytail.
braided, mine is in the small of my back...braiding takes up length.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:28 am quote
richardsan wrote:
+1 on braiding!
...it's never too late to change your (her) mind about braiding. she should see her hair person; really.
i tuck mine into the shirt/jacket while riding, usually...it's a right pita to work out the tangles if you don't confine it. i'm not a hair mechanic, maybe our tonsorial resident mathew will shed some light on the damages done with putting a 'rubber band/equivalent' every couple inches or so. i think they contribute to abrasions that create splits. i braid and put the elastic at the bottom to keep the splits contained there rather than further up the braid/ponytail.
I wouldn't use a rubberband every few inches but the ones designed to protect the hair seem to work well without damage though I've recently cut enough off mine that it no longer matters (about 8").
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou" 2001 ET2 "Luna"
Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:24 am quote
cdwise wrote:
richardsan wrote:
+1 on braiding!
I wouldn't use a rubberband every few inches but the ones designed to protect the hair seem to work well without damage though I've recently cut enough off mine that it no longer matters (about 8").
I did multiple scrunchies once. I thought it looked lame, so i figured out how to braid my own hair
Resident Grump
MAC Motor, BBSHD. 30 Oct 2006
Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:38 pm quote
Stunningly gorgeous hair IMO.

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KaHjZDGwXR8/TBfRusnszjI/AAAAAAAADME/NUstVKJA3n4/s1600/untitled.bmp[/img]

Last edited by tomjasz on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
04 Granturismo- boy thats fun to say
Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:36 pm quote
I twist my hair up into a low neck bun and secure it with a hair tie. works better than a braid sometimes.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1345s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0273s) ][ Debug on ]