NSR - Pizza/wood fired Oven
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123Next
Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo
Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:24 pm quote
Burning half a cord of wood to cook a pizza is ridiculous, and it will really piss off the local air quality district.
I buy my delicious, sixteen inch, DeLuxe pizzas from Sams Club for $8.70, and cook 'em in on the center rack of an electric oven at 425 *F, and they're just a good as any, and better than most, of the local pizza parlors and chain joints.
I guess I'm just not a purist.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:47 pm quote
Richard H. Lemmon wrote:
I buy my delicious, sixteen inch, DeLuxe pizzas from Sams Club for $8.70, and cook 'em in on the center rack of an electric oven at 425 *F, and they're just a good as any, and better than most, of the local pizza parlors and chain joints.
And simultaneously orders of magnitude worse than a real Italian pizza made by a pizzaolo.

Ick. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Comparing that piece of cardboard to the local pizza parlours is like comparing a Big Mac to a Whopper. Your scale of goodness just doesn't have very much range.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant
Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:59 pm quote
jess wrote:
Richard H. Lemmon wrote:
And simultaneously orders of magnitude worse than a real Italian pizza made by a pizzaolo.

Ick. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Comparing that piece of cardboard to the local pizza parlours is like comparing a Big Mac to a Whopper. Your scale of goodness just doesn't have very much range.
Easy, its just pizza.

To each his own and there's no accounting for taste.
Ossessionato
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2018 Ducati Multistrada 950. 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)
Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:22 pm quote
Wow. . .

Most of the joy in preparing a meal is in the elements of creation. Planning the menu, gathering the ingredients, and the preparation of the meal. We used to get a great deal of enjoyment out of making our own dough, but usually we are making four or five pizzas. On that large a scale making dough is just a pain in the ass.

We can't just cook for ourselves, we have to cook for all of our friends. Sorry, can't go to Costco and get a half cooked piece of cardboard and call it dinner. Ok if others do, but, I can't.

Now back to the BGE. We got ours six years ago at BBQ Galore. Its an extra large and I got a dedicated pizza stone. It is very thick and gets really hot.

The trick IMHO is how consistently hot the stone gets. Getting 700-800 degrees of temperature is peachy but the consistency in the crust, the pizza bottom is the heat off of the stone.

Tonight the BGE assisted in lamb loin chops. I'm two bottles of pretty decent Syrah into the evening.

Ciao-
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:34 pm quote
gogogordy wrote:
And you don't find just a wee bit of disapproval in Richard's post?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:16 am quote
jess wrote:
gogogordy wrote:
And you don't find just a wee bit of disapproval in Richard's post?
I have taken a generational difference into account, based on the fact
that he's one of our most mature members. With that there's often a different value system about such things.

Truth be told I'd much rather have pizza at your house, than Mr.Lemmons, but hey if he's a Sam's Club pizza guy thats his choice. I put it right up there with helmet type, oil type, DynaBeads etc. To each his own.

Around my place, when we handmake it's "Chicken Parm. Pizza". Yes.

We also like Shakey's.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:48 am quote
Agree with Jess, you can't compare a wood fired home made pizza and a oven baked store or pizza shop pizza
The Host with the Toast
Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:57 am quote
I like costco Pizza.. toasted
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:08 am quote
175mws wrote:
Yeah, well with that miracle one-in-a-million toaster of yours everything tastes better. Toastier.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:10 am quote
And for those of you in the South Bay who appreciate a good Neapolitan-style pizza, be sure to try out "Pizza Boca Lupo" inside the San Pedro Market in downtown SJ...
The Host with the Toast
Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:18 am quote
gogogordy wrote:
175mws wrote:
Yeah, well with that miracle one-in-a-million toaster of yours everything tastes better. Toastier.
Good morning Matt, Time for some toast and coffee
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:21 am quote
175mws wrote:
gogogordy wrote:
175mws wrote:
Good morning Matt, Time for some toast and coffee

CIMG3327.jpg

Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:40 am quote
gogogordy wrote:
I have taken a generational difference into account, based on the fact
that he's one of our most mature members.
You'd think with all that maturity he would have learned not to randomly piss on other people's parties.
Hooked
2013 BV350/2009 MP3 250
Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:49 am quote
Pizza Oven
I've seen some examples that look interesting. This week, I came across a site for an attachment to regular "kettle" - type barbeques that seem to work. I even saw a couple of D.I.Y. versions. The site, I believe, is called kettle pizza. There are some video demonstrations on You Tube. A home made $20 - $30 attachment over a $600 - $800 monstrosity? I think that I'll give it a try.

Mr. F
Banned
PGO Buddy 150 "St Tropez" imported by Genuine scooter co.
Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:15 am quote
Question for all Big Green Egg owners-Where did you purchase yours? I've been contemplating getting one for awhile, but the $ has veered me away. Thanks in advance.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:20 am quote
Raiderfn31 wrote:
Question for all Big Green Egg owners-Where did you purchase yours? I've been contemplating getting one for awhile, but the $ has veered me away. Thanks in advance.
They're costly, to be sure. But what you get in return is so much better than a steel kettle that you'll kick yourself for not biting the bullet sooner.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:55 am quote
Raiderfn31 wrote:
Much like the Vespa world, support your local dealer. After-sale support and accessories will follow...

I've posted 3 places in the San Jose area at the end of page 1 of this thread.
Ossessionato
White GTS125 - Milo - 2009-2012 Red GTS Super 300 - Watson - 2012 - 2014. Silver Vespa GTS 250 - Carter - 2014
Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:04 pm quote
I'd bloody love one of those !!!
Banned
Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:15 pm quote
Masala wrote:
Raiderfn31 wrote:
Much like the Vespa world, support your local dealer. After-sale support and accessories will follow...

I've posted 3 places in the San Jose area at the end of page 1 of this thread.
I think I will follow that advice. Thanks.
Ossessionato
Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:38 pm quote
jess wrote:
Raiderfn31 wrote:
They're costly, to be sure. But what you get in return is so much better than a steel kettle that you'll kick yourself for not biting the bullet sooner.
I got mine at BBQ Galore (I think I may have mentioned that before) but, they do not have much support for what they sell. If I had to do it all over again I would get it from a recognized dealer that will handle the warranty work too.

They are pricey but they are worth the money. .
Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250
Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:11 pm quote
Raiderfn31 wrote:
The factory website has a "find a dealer"function. You will have no trouble finding one in your area.
Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:24 pm quote
Kittysaz wrote:
I'd bloody love one of those !!!
Me too.. But at £800 - and that's before you buy all the accessories - I'd have to eat pizza for the rest of my life and well into the next to justify the cost

I will carry on cooking my pizza in my oven, on a £1.50 paving stone from B&Q
Addicted
GTV 250
Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:42 pm quote
An alternative to a BGE that I strongly considered prior to our purchase is the Primo. It's oval and the plus is that you can use 1/2 of it as offset heat and half as direct heat. And it's made is the U.S.A. In the end we went with The Egg, mostly because it seemed more practical and it was less money. No regrets but I'm sure we'd have been happy with the Primo, too.
Banned
Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:51 pm quote
From the reviews I have read Big Joe Kamados look nice. Why is it that I seem to have hobbies that become more expensive by the minute?
Addicted
MP3-250 Tiger 1050 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:50 pm quote
Raiderfn31 wrote:
From the reviews I have read Big Joe Kamados look nice. Why is it that I seem to have hobbies that become more expensive by the minute?
I believe they are called Komodo Joe's and I would have looked at one instead of the BGE but the only dealer doesn't keep them in the store (it is mainly an appliance store) and I'd have had to buy sight unseen. Would have liked the red color.
Banned
Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:18 pm quote
Ah, yes, Kamado Joe. Not Komodo, though. That would be the dragon.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:30 pm quote
I got this one at costco a couple months ago at a end of season closeout. Around $400.

http://www.visiongrills.com/product.php?productid=3

They will have more in June or July at around $580
Addicted
2006 LX150, 2009 250, '80 P200, '80 PX200
Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:48 pm quote
I have a recipe for dough that we put directly on the grill; no stone needed. We have considered putting in an oven, but after reading about them, it took hours for a true oven to heat up properly u less it also had a gas line. Also, in most parts of California their re regulations about fire and smoke, since I think we have more homes destroyed by fires in dry weather, than earthquakes.

I think the husband still secretly wants to build one, but he's busy working on all the chores at the new cabin.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:01 pm quote
Megamod wrote:
I have a recipe for dough that we put directly on the grill; no stone needed. We have considered putting in an oven, but after reading about them, it took hours for a true oven to heat up properly u less it also had a gas line. Also, in most parts of California their re regulations about fire and smoke, since I think we have more homes destroyed by fires in dry weather, than earthquakes.
Lump charcoal solves that problem nicely, as it burns largely without smoke and gets very hot. It does take a bit of time to get the pizza stone sufficiently hot, but certainly not hours. Maybe 20 minutes.
Molto Verboso
2007 Silver GTS250ie
Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:11 am quote
thanks for the comments, and most interesting discussion!

The aim is to have fun, and include my neighbours, so as to not piss them off.

My idea is to use the oven to do more than cook a pizza or two, but also to do things like bread, roasts, and stews. One of the beauties of these things is that they can stay hot, for days, and gradually loose their heat over a few days. if that is used well - there is a lot of cooking than can be done.

and it won't be an every day thing = I have a cheap crematorium (BBQ) for that!

Once I start the build, I'll try to remember to post the odd pic
Enthusiast
Three, count 'em—three, Vespa 300s a bunch of other scooters.
Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:39 am quote
I have a Grill Dome, which is a komodo grill as well. I've been happy with it...have had it for 3 years now and have had to replace ZERO parts (unlike your basic gas grill). The reason we bought the Grill Dome as opposed to the egg, is that it comes with a spring hinge as standard accessory and it has all stainless steel hardware standard. As we live close to the beach, this was good. The price is comparable to the BGE. It comes in several colors. It makes BY FAR the best pizza you could ever make at home, for about 5 bucks worth of lump charcoal. It place a whole bunch of toppings out, along with dough which I've stretched and let people do their own. Then I fire the pizzas. Last time we had a rally in Pensacola, I had about 40 midnight ride hungry scooterists here and was cranking out the wood-fired pizzas like crazy.

www.grilldome.com
Ossessionato
Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:37 pm quote
jess wrote:
Megamod wrote:
Lump charcoal solves that problem nicely, as it burns largely without smoke and gets very hot. It does take a bit of time to get the pizza stone sufficiently hot, but certainly not hours. Maybe 20 minutes.
This has been my experience as well.

CRAP. . . There is a wood burning oven store that just went in down the block. Who needs that freaking temptation????
Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly
Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:58 pm quote
Building a pizza oven makes just about as much "sense" as restoring a classic barn-find Vespa and I agree with the sentiment that selection of ingredients, preparation is part of the fun, as is having a get-together around a wood fired oven. Not to mention the fun of building the oven itself. I look forward to your pictures Twin - good luck on the project!

I for one have a tiny strip of yard, so no pizza oven for me. I'll just have to console myself with Veraci, Serious [cupcake], and Pagliacci's. At least there, the ton of charcol will go into the creation of many pizzas
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:13 pm quote
voneschenbach wrote:
Building a pizza oven makes just about as much "sense" as restoring a classic barn-find Vespa and I agree with the sentiment that selection of ingredients, preparation is part of the fun, as is having a get-together around a wood fired oven. Not to mention the fun of building the oven itself. I look forward to your pictures Twin - good luck on the project!

I for one have a tiny strip of yard, so no pizza oven for me. I'll just have to console myself with Veraci, Serious [cupcake], and Pagliacci's. At least there, the ton of charcol will go into the creation of many pizzas
Ahhh, Pizzeria Pagliacci! Damn you....

Miss Thirteen Coins too.
Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly
Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:33 pm quote
gogogordy wrote:
voneschenbach wrote:

Ahhh, Pizzeria Pagliacci! Damn you....

Miss Thirteen Coins too.
Heh heh heh!

pagliacci-pizza-pagliaccipizza-0183_28_550x370.jpg

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:38 pm quote
On a slightly different tack...

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations regarding a *small* built-it-yourself outdoor brick oven that could make decent pizza?

Someplace, sometime over the years (I'll have to check my diary), I picked up enough masonry skills and all the necessary tools to competently do the job...All now sitting idle in the basement (the tools, not the skills.)

I've seen plans for mausoleum-sized brick ovens, but I'm not interested in anything remotely that big.

And I like building things myself.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:41 pm quote
Menhir wrote:
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations regarding a *small* built-it-yourself outdoor brick oven that could make decent pizza?
Here you go: http://lifehacker.com/5296731/build-your-own-pizza-oven/gallery/1
Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:05 pm quote
jess wrote:
Menhir wrote:
Here you go: http://lifehacker.com/5296731/build-your-own-pizza-oven/gallery/1
Yikes-a-hootie, that looks just about right. Thanks.

I can work out the dimensions from the sizes of the bricks, of which I probably have more than enough from one of my chimneys which had to be shortened due to lightning damage some years ago.

At first I thought the front of the oven was a chimney, but it looks like it's decorative. I'll have to research that. Chimney or not? Ideas?
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:13 pm quote
Pretty sure that's where the chimney mounts. I've seen lots of similar builds that have a stove pipe sticking up from exactly that spot.

Last edited by jess on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:15 pm quote
Check it out:

http://www.brickwoodovens.com/PhotoGallery1.html

DIY_Pizza_Oven_by_BrickWoodOvens.com-589x411.jpg

Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123Next
[ Time: 0.1599s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0326s) ][ Debug on ]