MP3 300 LT Touring - Side daylight running lights - UK
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:13 am quote
Hi everyone.

First post so be gentle.

I've just bought a 2012 MP3 300 LT. And I love it.

But I have noticed that the little daylight running lights (pic attached) do not come on...at all.

Baffled, I went to a local dealer and asked them if it was a fuse or the bulbs had gone...?

They had another, identical model in stock. I showed the guy and he turned the engine over and tried to get the lights to come on too.

Again...these little side lights wouldn't come on.

I've searched this forum for other solutions...but I can't seem to find a solution.

Anyone out there experienced this or knows how to fire them up?

It may be a UK thing, as I've looked at all the images on this forum and the web and they all seem to be working else where?

I'm totally flummoxed. Someone, please help.

Kind regards

Steeles on Wheels

MP3 lights.jpg
How the blazes to you get these to work?

Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D, MP3 400ie
Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:54 am quote
They should come on when the motor is "proofed" and running. They also come on at the same time as the headlights. At least, that's how my 2008 - 400 works.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:00 am quote
They should...

...but they don't.

Both on mine and the one the dealer looked at while I was there.

Is this some weird UK anomaly?
Ossessionato
01 Vespa ET4 Red/ Satin black. 1974 Vespa Rally 200 White, non battery model.
Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 am quote
ponydrvr wrote:
They should come on when the motor is "proofed" and running. They also come on at the same time as the headlights. At least, that's how my 2008 - 400 works.
U.S and Euro bikes might be wired differently due to regulations.

On the Euro LT I believe that the light at the bottom of the front shield should come on, yes?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:13 am quote
That's right. The one at the bottom comes on fine.

But it's about as much use all the way down there as an ash tray would be on the handlebars.

It just doesn't make sense not to have the running lights, err, running. After all, every bit of light is a good thing no?

If this is a weird 'Euro legislation wiring' issue, someone on this forum must have done a tweak to make them work.
Hooked
2009 MP3 250
Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:22 am quote
Maybe it doesn't work because it's too close to the turn signals on the 300 LT?

Just a guess, maybe other 300LT owners can chime in.

Seems it wouldn't be too difficult to wire the lights into the turn signal circuit, in any case.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:27 am quote
Just called the Piaggio Centre and their service bods had never noticed it before either.

They went and had a look and sure enough...the lights don't work on theirs either.

Strange.

I'm going to have to get my screw driver out at this rate.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:29 am quote
The turn signals on the UK models are on side stalks rather than integrated into the headlight cluster.

All jolly strange.
Moderaptor
2xGP800, Fuoco, X9 500 Evo, The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug), 'Olive' (GT200) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:13 am quote
I'm sure you can wire them up to the appropriate circuit easily enough. It's possible that with the lighting regs being different for a 'trike', they aren't mandated so they've saved the cost of a connector or two.
MP3 500ie Sport LT
Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 am quote
The UK models have never had these working. You need to connect them in the lighting unit, the simplest way which I got from this forum is to link one side to the headlamp wire which is just a simple soldering job. I also changed the bulbs for LED lights as they are better for look and visibility.

If your in the mood for Modding, the the HID conversion is well worth the effort too.

I had been through two 300 LT''s so I hope you fair better than I did and that will depend on your usage. I was commuting 70 miles each day and had no end of problems with the engine. I now have the 500 sport and it has been perfect for my usage pattern.

Kev

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 pm quote
Thank you all for your advice. Not being too technically minded when it comes to wiring, and with the bike still under warranty, I'll wait a while before messing around too much.

And Kev. I looked at the 500, for my short commute (5 miles) I thought it a little too big. Time will tell. It is a lovely looking machine.

Thanks.

Rob
Hooked
Mp3 250 Lt
Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:43 pm quote
Steeles on Wheels wrote:
Thank you all for your advice. Not being too technically minded when it comes to wiring, and with the bike still under warranty, I'll wait a while before messing around too much.

And Kev. I looked at the 500, for my short commute (5 miles) I thought it a little too big. Time will tell. It is a lovely looking machine.

Thanks.

Rob
it is normal. LTs come with only the 3rd bottom light operating. You need to wire them to make them work. I have a LT and it is 100% normal.
cheers.
Molto Verboso
px200
Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:00 am quote
Hello

I think you will find that if you have lighting equipment fitted it has to work (construction and use) or it is an automatic MOT fail.

Grumpy
Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT
Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:01 am quote
Well well well.... hadn`t even noticed they were there.

But as the main beam is on in the day and dipped at night (plus the one running light at the bottom) , can`t see they would really add much.
Moderaptor
2xGP800, Fuoco, X9 500 Evo, The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug), 'Olive' (GT200) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:18 am quote
Grumpy wrote:
Hello

I think you will find that if you have lighting equipment fitted it has to work (construction and use) or it is an automatic MOT fail.

Grumpy
Not quite right - for instance on a GTS it doesn't matter if one of the two tail lights is out, as a motorcycle only needs one.

It'll be interesting when LT's start to require MOTs - places that have the necessary authorisation to MOT 'trikes' are few and far between.
Molto Verboso
px200
Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:11 am quote
Jim

This is worth a read as it details the requirements for the test I will find the appropriate section of construction and use.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_130.htm

Regards

Grumpy
Molto Verboso
px200
Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:21 am quote
Jim

From the lighting regulations

General requirements for electrical connections

15.(1) Every motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1991 shall be so constructed that every position lamp, side marker lamp, end-outline marker lamp and rear registration plate lamp with which the vehicle is fitted is capable of being switched on and off by the operation of one switch and, save as provided in paragraph (2), not otherwise.

REgards

Grumpy
Molto Verboso

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:50 am quote
As stated, them lights are unused on the LT models as they are in incorrect positions for its classification, so a single light is fitted low down on the central line of the machine...

Those rules quoted are for motorcycles, taken from the motorcycle manual, it's an LT so needs to be tested as a class 3 vehicle.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:52 pm quote
the eurpean law doesn't say anything about the running lights it got a european L5e license so every european Country has to admit them
With or with out the running lights

Piaggio made them this way they wanted a different between the RL/RST and LT

But you can simply reconnect them all cables are there just the plug above the radiator is missing a connection i've posted some pic's in 2009 how to
piagio mp3 500 sport lt
Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:24 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Grumpy wrote:
Hello

Grumpy
Not quite right - for instance on a GTS it doesn't matter if one of the two tail lights is out, as a motorcycle only needs one.

It'll be interesting when LT's start to require MOTs - places that have the necessary authorisation to MOT 'trikes' are few and far between.
well sir grumpy misrable sod for one the lt without them is a pass reguardlesvof them working the vehicle has to show hi n lo working drl not essential and two it's not a freaking trike m.o.t lol you should do your homework it can have a car garage pass it or bike lol my guess is your a jealous yourbarn driver or summit and trying puck at the nicer mp3 500 lt we own either sTrand ya misrable ass elswere
Moderaptor
Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:30 pm quote
Any chance of a translation old chap?
piagio mp3 500 sport lt
Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:50 am quote
jimc wrote:
Any chance of a translation old chap?
would love to lolbut I can't even make it out typing on my phone is bad news my appologise
Mp3 300
Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:18 am quote
Side daylight running lights - UK
Maksor wrote:
the eurpean law doesn't say anything about the running lights it got a european L5e license so every european Country has to admit them
With or with out the running lights

Piaggio made them this way they wanted a different between the RL/RST and LT

But you can simply reconnect them all cables are there just the plug above the radiator is missing a connection i've posted some pic's in 2009 how to
Maksor, I'm a Newbie here. Could you PLEASE direct me to the "2009 pics" you mentioned above. Would like very much to wire-in those currently redundant running lights pictured in the first post of this thread. All help gratefully received! Many thanks.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Maroon Powersports LLC DBA Scooter Centrale   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.4025s ][ Queries: 32 (0.3142s) ][ Debug on ]