NSR What's cheering you up today?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...353637...394041Next
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:01 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Yeah I remember candles in the tree. I dated a Swiss girl for a long time and her parents were very traditional. Pretty but not something you leave unattended! Very much like my girlfriend at the time
Oooh, there's gotta be a story here.

C'mon, Harbinger, give!
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:59 am quote
mpfrank wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Yeah I remember candles in the tree. I dated a Swiss girl for a long time and her parents were very traditional. Pretty but not something you leave unattended! Very much like my girlfriend at the time

C'mon, Harbinger, give!
Or there are a few. She was a very pretty girl and knew it.

BUT this thread is about what makes you happy now. Getting home and finding gifts under the tree is great. Seeing that your wife went to the trouble of finding scooter wrapping paper is priceless

IMG_1572.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:48 pm quote
mpfrank wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

C'mon, Harbinger, give!
Harbinger wrote:
She was a very pretty girl and knew it.
Meh, never mind.
Ossessionato
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:29 pm quote
She slept with two of my best friends in revenge for something I did that was dumb. There is your story. There are also some good stories with her but this a pg site.
fledermaus wrote:
mpfrank wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

C'mon, Harbinger, give!
Harbinger wrote:
Meh, never mind.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:49 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
She slept with two of my best friends in revenge for something I did that was dumb. There is your story. There are also some good stories with her but this a pg site.
fledermaus wrote:
mpfrank wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

C'mon, Harbinger, give!
Harbinger wrote:
Meh, never mind.
So, about those candles in the tree.....
Ossessionato
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:57 pm quote
They looked awesome 😜
fledermaus wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
mpfrank wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

C'mon, Harbinger, give!
Harbinger wrote:
Meh, never mind.
Addicted
2, aprillia scarabeo light. 500. 2007 2009
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:28 am quote
Morning ride to breakfast. Usually about 6 or 7 there. Some mornings, a moto guzzi, aprillia. Piaggio, ducati, bmw and ktm. Sometimes a hd trike.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:38 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
I bet they dripped wax everywhere....
Ossessionato
Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:32 am quote
znomit wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
I bet they dripped wax everywhere....
There was a little thing to catch the wax if I remember correctly. The tree was only lite when everyone was sitting around it unlike being kept lite all day. Only time we turn the lights off at our place is when we aren't home. Rule here is I do not turn the lights off until my wife has gone down to bed.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:51 pm quote
A bit complicated, but kind of an odd round of pre-Christmas depression. Circumstances not bad, but my processing isn't great.

So, when the going gets tough, it's time for a little chainsaw therapy. Went out to cut up a small ash tree I'd already toppled last month. Cold, damp, with snow flurries, but wood warms twice, so got the first dose. Can't think of anything better to brighten a gloomy day.

Sadly don't have anything to burn it in, but going to offer it to a needy patient who happens to have a fireplace. Brighten someone's holiday....

Next month, a much larger ash tree when I need the diversion. Woot!
f
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:29 pm quote
Fledermaus,
I was going to offer to take that ash if you could deliver but see you have someone who needs it more than me!

I'm hoping to be getting rid of the splint on my right hand soon so I can fire up chainsaw and do some clean-up in the land next to me. They are some dead trees but still easier to do when leaves and weeds are gone for the winter.

Would be nice if we could get a good freeze without too much snow.

Good thing is I have probably enough wood cut stacked and dried to handle 90% of my heating needs for at least two years!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:21 pm quote
kshansen wrote:
Fledermaus,
I was going to offer to take that ash if you could deliver but see you have someone who needs it more than me!

I'm hoping to be getting rid of the splint on my right hand soon so I can fire up chainsaw and do some clean-up in the land next to me. They are some dead trees but still easier to do when leaves and weeds are gone for the winter.

Good thing is I have probably enough wood cut stacked and dried to handle 90% of my heating needs for at least two years!
Bit impractical, but worse is it's probably got Emerald Ash Borer in it and isn't supposed to leave the county. Guessing the bug is everywhere by now anyway.

Lots of reasons it's a good time to do it....as you said, no leaves and weeds, but also no deer ticks. Seems easier on hard ground, unless, of course there's snow. Good reason to get outside, and you hardly ever break a sweat!

BTW, I didn't confess to my doofus move.....grabbed the saw, tried to start it, no go. Looked in the tank....empty. Put gas, started trimming some small branches. Damned thing wouldn't cut! Burned through a couple of twigs and gave up. Looked at the chain, seemed backwards. Then I remembered the last time I used it, a month or two ago, the chain was lose and popped off. I think i was being anal about the print on the bar and must have flipped it. Sorted that out, and it was just fine.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:35 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
kshansen wrote:
Fledermaus,

Bit impractical, but worse is it's probably got Emerald Ash Borer in it and isn't supposed to leave the county. Guessing the bug is everywhere by now anyway.

Lots of reasons it's a good time to do it....as you said, no leaves and weeds, but also no deer ticks. Seems easier on hard ground, unless, of course there's snow. Good reason to get outside, and you hardly ever break a sweat!

BTW, I didn't confess to my doofus move.....grabbed the saw, tried to start it, no go. Looked in the tank....empty. Put gas, started trimming some small branches. Damned thing wouldn't cut! Burned through a couple of twigs and gave up. Looked at the chain, seemed backwards. Then I remembered the last time I used it, a month or two ago, the chain was lose and popped off. I think i was being anal about the print on the bar and must have flipped it. Sorted that out, and it was just fine.
Well there's something to cheer me up, Knowing I'm not the only to do bone head things like that!
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:14 am quote
My 7 year old just wrapped up her four show premier as one of the Mechanical Dolls in the local production of the Nutcracker last night.

As I got home from picking her up, our neighbors whom attended one of the shows literally laid this bouquet on our doorstep for her!

That and getting all tingly and excited to see the kids and family members open their presents. Oh and the annual get together at my inlaws tonight!

So much to be thankful, grateful and blessed with.

Happy Holidays to you all, ride safe!

Look forward to the stories, photos and ride reports in 2019!!!

Googoo.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:21 am quote
Finding a store brand of coffee (Keurig style) that tastes 95% as good as Starbucks but at 1/4 the cost!
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:35 am quote
Sacto Monkeyboy wrote:
My 7 year old just wrapped up her four show premier as one of the Mechanical Dolls in the local production of the Nutcracker last night.
I can almost hear your daughter singing "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth, my two front teeth,..." (j/k)
Congrats to her for a successful production!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:10 am quote
Knowing I’m going to spend the afternoon and evening with friends on Christmas.
Resident Grump
MAC motor 2WD. 30 Oct 2006
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:10 am quote
My new scarf came from Gaza. The Herbawi family has kept their keffiyeh business afloat. Beautiful weaving. I have 4. Wonderful! There is hope .
I like ve supporting my friends. The quality is incredible. There are even some heavyweight god for this cold MN winter.
https://www.middleeasteye.net/in-depth/features/last-keffiyah-factory-palestine-47037488
https://www.kufiya.org/english/hirbawi/ beautiful, from
thee last Weaver in Gaza.

A07631B0-E8A1-47F6-943B-9BB2EB794401.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:26 am quote
tomjasz wrote:
My new scarf came from Gaza. The Herbawi family has kept their keffiyeh business afloat. Beautiful weaving. I have 4. Wonderful! There is hope .
I like ve supporting my friends. The quality is incredible. There are even some heavyweight god for this cold MN winter.
Cool! The things one learns about on MV....
Ossessionato
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:13 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
tomjasz wrote:
Cool! The things one learns about on MV....
It's like we have our own like Wiki going on . Actually I guess we do have one now that I think about it.

What's cheering me up is I gave myself the rest of the week off . I gave the rest of the team rotating days off (urgent matters only) until next Monday and then we get back to it full throttle.

I'm about to settle in to the kitchen to cook for a few hours while history documentaries play in the background. Currently watching docs on the Battle of Verdun. I played a lot of hockey in a suburb of Montreal called Verdun when I was a kid. Positive it's still called Verdun, I just don't play hockey there anymore.

We are very lucky to come from generations that have not seen a major war. I can't imagine what is what like to be around during any of the great wars in the last 100 years or so.
Addicted
1979 P200E, 2006 Piaggio Fly 150, 2010 GTS 300 Super
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:26 am quote
Daugther's New Puppy
We lost our fifteen year old cocker spaniel in October. The daughter adopted a new cocker just before Christmas.

Claire and Jensen.jpg

Ossessionato
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:45 am quote
Re: Daugther's New Puppy
DucatiSS wrote:
We lost our fifteen year old cocker spaniel in October. The daughter adopted a new cocker just before Christmas.
Sorry to hear that . It can be very hard to lose a loving companion that has been with you for years. We have 2 yorkies, one is over 14 and still doing well but we know odds are she won't be around much longer. She has been with me almost from the beginning where I started all over again.

Glad you got a puppy! After a little grieving you start all over agin though never forgetting the ones before. As George Carlin said, life is just a series of dogs. Very true for many of us when you think about it.

Enjoy the puppy and new family member! When Sheila goes we are thinking miniature dachshund after 3 yorkies. I grew up with SLH dachshunds around me all the time. Minis are a bit different temperamentally but a better fit for our 3 year old yorkie..

Love the pic BTW. When we retire we plan on adopting old rescues to ease their last few years and keeping one or two purebreds as pets. For now we have 2 dogs and donate a lot to the Humane Society and the Donkey Sanctuary of Canada.

Apologies for the rambling, just me and the dogs home today so I have time on my hands. I'm a sucker for anything dog related and I suppose scooters...

IMG_1684.jpeg

Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:29 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Love the pic BTW. When we retire we plan on adopting old rescues to ease their last few years and keeping one or two purebreds as pets. For now we have 2 dogs and donate a lot to the Humane Society and the Donkey Sanctuary of Canada.

Apologies for the rambling, just me and the dogs home today so I have time on my hands. I'm a sucker for anything dog related and I suppose scooters...
Old dogs are the best. I've had 8 different dogs in the past 9 years, and most of them have been seniors of one flavor or another. Had a pair of old dachshunds we got when their owner passed away at 91, they were 14 and 17 (the older one might have been older, we don't know). Sweet old dogs, only had them for a year or two, but they're a permanent memory for me.

If you want a really nice dachshund, look for a "standard" sized one. They're bigger than what you usually see, can be up to 25+ pounds, but almost always seem to have a gentle dispositions. Hard to find (especially in rescue) but worth it.
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:36 am quote
What's cheering up me and my wife today is we are showing my mother-in-law (her mother) how to use a new smart phone my brother-in-law bought her for Christmas- she is 80 years old..... She is finding everything "marvelous" as she learns a new process.

Awesome seeing someone of that age excited about technology!

It's turning out to be a great Christmas present to US as well as her....

Bob
Ossessionato
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:37 am quote
Larrytsg wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

Old dogs are the best. I've had 8 different dogs in the past 9 years, and most of them have been seniors of one flavor or another. Had a pair of old dachshunds we got when their owner passed away at 91, they were 14 and 17 (the older one might have been older, we don't know). Sweet old dogs, only had them for a year or two, but they're a permanent memory for me.

If you want a really nice dachshund, look for a "standard" sized one. They're bigger than what you usually see, can be up to 25+ pounds, but almost always seem to have a gentle dispositions. Hard to find (especially in rescue) but worth it.
Agree the standard size are great. I should have been more explicit in my post. SLH Dachshund stands for Standard Long Hair. We had show dogs and my mothers best friends were the top breeders in Canada. Tommy (his name at home, show name was fancier) , the dog I grew up with was the a beautiful black and tan long haired boy and top male in the breed for a while and had his championship in Canada, the US and Bermuda. Maybe we will get a full sized but that may be too big for the condo and our yorkie.
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:43 pm quote
AHA, got it, didn't understand the SLH acronym, should have asked my wife.

The oldest dachshund we had was our only long hair, but he was a tweenie, about 16 pounds or so. He was a stunningly pretty dog, black and tan with some silver dappling. We nicknamed him "pretty boy", though his name was Stutz (an awesome dog name if there ever was one). His partner Dory (and they were truly a bonded pair) was a Standard Short Hair Black and Tan. Stone cold deaf, but a super lovable dog.

Whatever you do, I know you can't go wrong with a rescue dog. I even got my daughter hooked on rescue, as she got her dog off the street in the small village where she lives in Northern Quebec, and she has picked up a few dogs to transport to Toronto as part of rescue.
Ossessionato
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:36 am quote
Going to the North American International Motorcycle Supershow. About 3 Celsius dry roads and a nice 30 minute run up the highway. Looking forward to seeing the bikes and usually there are some good deals on gear and for some reason beard products.
Hooked
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:52 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Going to the North American International Motorcycle Supershow. About 3 Celsius dry roads and a nice 30 minute run up the highway. Looking forward to seeing the bikes and usually there are some good deals on gear and for some reason beard products.
I hope you had a good ride and you enjoyed the show. Went yesterday, and it was quite challenging to find parking spot. A lot of people, the show well... like every year not much new as far as bikes are concern but not bad since it was my first outing since the end of August last year when I busted my leg. Some clips from the show I hope you enjoy watching
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:25 am quote
Great day, at work surfing MV with a Tri Tip Roast on the smoker that should be ready in about half an hour.
Ossessionato
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:25 am quote
Thanks Ryjan

Enjoyed the vid and gave a small taste of the show. Show was huge for sure. I usually just do the one downtown later in the season but this was definitely bigger. Nothing really new but it's still great to look at the new bikes and meet a few new people.

I was pretty well behaved and only bought one thing. Riders Choice had a REV'IT! jacket on sale for $330 tax in that I tried on when I stepped in but wanted to walk around and see what else there was. I figured if it was there when I got back around I'd look again. Two gay bikers were in front of it when I got back and one tried it on. It was too small so I said "hand it over". Long story short they talked me in to it and we had a great conversation for about 10 minutes. I met a lot of interesting folks at the show. One thing I want to do is catch the sidecar races this year, great guys.

The jacket (bought from Rider's Choice but I shop at and love Town Moto)

https://www.townmoto.com/products/rev-it-westport-overshirt?variant=850974867481

IMG_1691.jpeg

IMG_1695.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:13 pm quote
Just got back from a 212 mile ride today.

San Antonio to Gonzalez, to Shiner, to Yoakum to Cuero to San Antonio.

Wonderful weather.
Hooked
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:24 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Thanks Ryjan

Enjoyed the vid and gave a small taste of the show. Show was huge for sure. I usually just do the one downtown later in the season but this was definitely bigger. Nothing really new but it's still great to look at the new bikes and meet a few new people.

I was pretty well behaved and only bought one thing. Riders Choice had a REV'IT! jacket on sale for $330 tax in that I tried on when I stepped in but wanted to walk around and see what else there was. I figured if it was there when I got back around I'd look again. Two gay bikers were in front of it when I got back and one tried it on. It was too small so I said "hand it over". Long story short they talked me in to it and we had a great conversation for about 10 minutes. I met a lot of interesting folks at the show. One thing I want to do is catch the sidecar races this year, great guys.

The jacket (bought from Rider's Choice but I shop at and love Town Moto)

https://www.townmoto.com/products/rev-it-westport-overshirt?variant=850974867481
I enjoyed the show as much as you and the main reason wasn't the fact to see the latest and greatest in motorcycle industry. Opportunity to meet and talk to people is way more rewarding then seeing another new bike some manufacturer is planning to introduce in few months. This is specially true if I'm interested in Vespa and Moto Guzzi rides only , no way Piago will be interested to introduce their new models at any Toronto motorcycle shows.
Town Moto is great place to shop, they have very unique selection of riding gear, a bit on expensive side but well worth consideration. Great buy as far as the REV'IT! jacket, I was looking at it but decided to go with Belstaff waxed cotton one, very big mistake
Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:34 pm quote
Regarding live candles in a Christmas tree (above) - I was married to a German woman, very old school family - and we always had 'Christmas' on Christmas Eve... Ate a meal of 'fleischsalad' from a family recipe that was about 250 years old, then brought in a live tree (in a washtub) - and decorated it while singing carols - to include live candles... Was amazing to see fire--on a live tree--inside the house...
Best Christmases I ever had...
Cheering me up today - the Philadelphia Eagles barely beat Chicago, and will see another weekend of football...
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:20 am quote
My occasional riding buddy for making me this sweet lil calendar of my Vespa pics from this last summer.

IMG_4352.JPG

Addicted
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:28 pm quote
ryjan wrote:
...no way Piago will be interested to introduce their new models at any Toronto motorcycle shows.
Road Racing World says Piaggio is bringing both the Elettrica and the GTS 300 with newly redesigned engine (HPE) to the Feb 2019 show in Toronto.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:35 pm quote
jack russell puppies
Worked up enough energy to plane the back door n get it fitting again. ..... bloody stable doors
Hooked
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:29 pm quote
berto wrote:
ryjan wrote:
...no way Piago will be interested to introduce their new models at any Toronto motorcycle shows.
Road Racing World says Piaggio is bringing both the Elettrica and the GTS 300 with newly redesigned engine (HPE) to the Feb 2019 show in Toronto.
This is very good news, thank you for sharing this info. I'm very eager to sit on V85 TT. Wonder if new HPE engine will be installed in all Vespa 300 models.
Addicted
LXS 150
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:47 pm quote
Annoys an Oyster
Got my S150 back from the shop yesterday.

The ominous and alarming exhaust noise has now been reclassified as merely annoying. (Loose internal baffle or something -- the bike's perfectly rideable but sounds weird. I'll replace the pipe eventually, since the bike's almost 10 years old and I really ought to do a thorough refresh on it at the decade mark.)

Other periodic maintenance for the 18K mile interval performed as well.

It's good to have it back, even if it sounds weird.
Hooked
'01 ET4
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:38 am quote
This pic of Charlton Heston
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:57 am quote
bulivye wrote:
This pic of Charlton Heston
Somehow I'd though life in ancient Rome was different.

Is THAT a topcase?!?!
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...353637...394041Next
[ Time: 0.5478s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1282s) ][ Debug on ]