NSR What's cheering you up today?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...3637383940Next
Author Message
Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 250ie
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Posts: 1120
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:02 am quote
Where's his rifle!?
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 3813
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
bulivye wrote:
This pic of Charlton Heston
Somehow I'd though life in ancient Rome was different.

Is THAT a topcase?!?!
It's for his collapsible gladius.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8240
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:02 am quote
mpfrank wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
bulivye wrote:
This pic of Charlton Heston
Somehow I'd though life in ancient Rome was different.

Is THAT a topcase?!?!
It's for his collapsible gladius.


A switch-gladius?

BTW, just learned a new word today!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8240
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 am quote
Almost 3 months ago a 13 y.o. girl went missing after her parents were murdered in northern Wisconsin. Didn't look too good, with no news updates for months. I'd been pretty pessimistic. These things don't usually end well.

She showed up alive last night.

Responsible person is already behind bars.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 5156
Location: Home of the Alamo
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:56 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
Almost 3 months ago a 13 y.o. girl went missing after her parents were murdered in northern Wisconsin. Didn't look too good, with no news updates for months. I'd been pretty pessimistic. These things don't usually end well.

She showed up alive last night.

Responsible person is already behind bars.
That IS good news.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 17006
Location: The West Of Yorkshire ... Gods Country
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:58 am quote
soz but
fledermaus wrote:
Is THAT a topcase?!?!
Bitch pad? 😮 I've heard them called this in the us

Last edited by T5bitza69 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4672
Location: Downtown Toronto
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:31 am quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
Almost 3 months ago a 13 y.o. girl went missing after her parents were murdered in northern Wisconsin. Didn't look too good, with no news updates for months. I'd been pretty pessimistic. These things don't usually end well.

She showed up alive last night.

Responsible person is already behind bars.
That IS good news.
It is, for sure. Depending on how things played out the girl may need serious therapy and help for a long, long time. Hopefully she gets that help and is not just placed in the system.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 2554
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:50 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
Almost 3 months ago a 13 y.o. girl went missing after her parents were murdered in northern Wisconsin. Didn't look too good, with no news updates for months. I'd been pretty pessimistic. These things don't usually end well.

She showed up alive last night.

Responsible person is already behind bars.
That IS good news.
It is, for sure. Depending on how things played out the girl may need serious therapy and help for a long, long time. Hopefully she gets that help and is not just placed in the system.
I was just coming to this thread to post a comment myself. Good news indeed!

Throughout this I've been really impressed with the county sheriff who has been leading the investigation. Looks like any small-town cop but his dedication and compassion are awesome! Harbinger, have no worries that Jayme Closs will be well taken care of in Barron, WI.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4672
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:44 pm quote
Conan O'Brien Without Borders. Just watched the Cuban episode and had some good laughs. Well worth catching on Netflix.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 6620
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:46 pm quote
Just leased a bunch of Data Center space to Sony, a 1/3 of the second floor.
Well that area was our storage area and we had 1 week to empty it out. Well we got that pretty much done today.
Then fired up the pellet grill and threw some Filets on. Man life in the Data Center is tough on weekends
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 2554
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:08 am quote
There's something about snowmen that always cheers me up. This story this morning make me laugh out loud!

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/nation-world/driver-tries-to-destroy-snowman-without-realizing-theres-a-tree-stump-in-the-center/89-e143a11c-958d-43ac-a977-856679a6f567

Don't try this with your scooter!

d4378108-75d4-409f-a0a9-cb3b2b38f3ac_750x422.jpg
Someone tried to drive their vehicle through a snowman in Kentucky without realizing there was a massive tree stump in the middle.
Courtesy of Cody Lutz Media

Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Joined: 13 Sep 2017
Posts: 733
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:30 am quote
John Wick 3 Trailer:
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8240
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:57 am quote
Well, not exactly cheering me up, but amusing...at least to me.

We live out of town a bit, garbage/recycling used to be bags or our containers at the side of the driveway.

Refuse company went to wheeled bins, supposed to be on opposite sides of the driveway.

Put bins out for the first time this morning. Wife leaves first, I hear the plastic scraping on the driveway. Yup, she nicked it backing up. (No big deal, except I have to reposition it).

Of course, I pretend I don't know it's her and write her at work bitching about the bad drivers in the neighborhood.

I have to let her know I know so I can tease her about helping teach our daughter to drive...

Good thing my birthday is months away....except, of course she has an awesome memory.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4672
Location: Downtown Toronto
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:57 pm quote
Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2nd time) and balled like a baby at the end. My wife is away at here parents for a few days and is and there is no way I would do that with her here. I'm a "man" y'know?

I never cry with movies as I know they are fake, even the ones based on reality are so modifies as they may as well not be usually. I've just had a lot of personal shit going on lately with family and other stuff built up. Anyway man it feels good afterwards and I guess I just needed some silly Marvel movie to get me there.

Good movie, BTW and the ending is way sadder than the last one released. Please... seriously do any of us think the ones turned to dust are gone?

The ending is GotG 2 is pretty sad, you gotta admit.
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Joined: 13 Sep 2017
Posts: 733
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:21 am quote
Dreaming:
Sambuca Italy selling homes $1. Can't sell or rent them out for 3 years. Need to renovate. Could Cost $17,000-30,000+ to renovate.

My wife and I could take that stroke. We could also reach out to friends. Create an LLP, take out $10,000 loans...

Just imagining spending 3-4 months in Italy. Riding around the countryside or through the village...

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/one-dollar-home-sambuca-sicily-italy/index.html
Hooked
GTS 300ie Touring
Joined: 03 Jun 2018
Posts: 268
Location: Limassol, Cyprus
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:34 am quote
Sacto Monkeyboy wrote:
Dreaming:
Sambuca Italy selling homes $1. Can't sell or rent them out for 3 years. Need to renovate. Could Cost $17,000-30,000+ to renovate.

My wife and I could take that stroke. We could also reach out to friends. Create an LLP, take out $10,000 loans...

Just imagining spending 3-4 months in Italy. Riding around the countryside or through the village...

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/one-dollar-home-sambuca-sicily-italy/index.html
That's a very tempting offer. I holidayed in Sicily a few years ago and loved the whole experience. I think we should get a consortium together and purchase one between us.
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Joined: 13 Sep 2017
Posts: 733
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:23 am quote
Sardinia was doing the same thing sometime last year. Greece a few years ago.

The EU and job opportunities are pulling the youth into larger cities and or different countries. So the ageing population is doing what old people do and the State is taking on many of these properties.

My best friend was like "No the people are horrible" My response, they're dying out! That's why they are doing this."

"New York City Sized apartments illegally built years ago of inferior materials doesn't appeal to me!"

Regardless, it's nice to dream
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Joined: 02 Jul 2016
Posts: 1224
Location: Adelaide
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:50 pm quote
Its Saturday. Woo-hoo!
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4672
Location: Downtown Toronto
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 pm quote
Sledge wrote:
Its Saturday. Woo-hoo!
Nope, still Friday, not even 5 pm yet. What crazy upside down world are you living in?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 5048
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:30 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Sledge wrote:
Its Saturday. Woo-hoo!
Nope, still Friday, not even 5 pm yet. What crazy upside down world are you living in?
It's probably summer down there, too.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8240
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:06 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Sledge wrote:
Its Saturday. Woo-hoo!
Nope, still Friday, not even 5 pm yet. What crazy upside down world are you living in?
It's probably summer down there, too.
Hey, don't yank their chain, they're holding wmak hostage somewhere down there!
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4672
Location: Downtown Toronto
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:10 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Sledge wrote:
Its Saturday. Woo-hoo!
Nope, still Friday, not even 5 pm yet. What crazy upside down world are you living in?
It's probably summer down there, too.
Hey, don't yank their chain, they're holding wmak hostage somewhere down there!
That's it! We need to send in a hero for a rescue mission!

IMG_5041.JPG

Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 3813
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:10 pm quote
Phallic much?
Addicted
LXS 150
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 922
Location: The OTHER South Bay, CA
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:20 pm quote
Sacto Monkeyboy wrote:
Sardinia was doing the same thing sometime last year. Greece a few years ago.

The EU and job opportunities are pulling the youth into larger cities and or different countries. So the ageing population is doing what old people do and the State is taking on many of these properties.

My best friend was like "No the people are horrible" My response, they're dying out! That's why they are doing this."

"New York City Sized apartments illegally built years ago of inferior materials doesn't appeal to me!"

Regardless, it's nice to dream
New York City sized apartments? Buy two. Or three -- live in two of them, keep the third for guests. Still cheap even if you have to basically rebuild them all from scratch! (Disclaimer: I'm in the Los Angeles metro area and don't understand housing prices in the real world.)
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 2455
Location: Carrollton, Kentucky
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:34 pm quote
Well, I’m happy as a hog in slop, because I’m in NZ, and it’s summer here. Winter sucks.

63D75496-D883-4940-8923-29C55628CCB9.jpeg

Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: 23 Feb 2016
Posts: 2660
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:43 am quote
Dammit -- here we all are, enjoying the highest standard of living in 200,000 years and yet the "What's Pissing You Off Today?" thread still leaves this one in the dust. WTF

Well, here's something utterly random to rock a smile on yer face (thanks to my wife for sending it to me!).

https://www.huffingtonpost.es/2019/01/23/una-cena-de-monjas-se-desmadra-y-acaban-cantando-we-will-rock-you_a_23650512/?utm_hp_ref=es-homepage
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8240
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:57 am quote
Don't underestimate the Sisters. Despite growing up Protestant and hearing the parochial school horror stories from Catholic friends, our local community is pretty darn hip for being mostly elderly. I have several as friends, more as patients. Even at their age, many of them are real dynamos along with a wealth of experience.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: 23 Feb 2016
Posts: 2660
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:32 pm quote
Damn negative thread has ALREADY ascended again! WTF?

So here's another from this morn:

Walking to work in the 5 inches of snow that had already turned into 3 inches of slush and flooding streets I heard someone yelling on the other side of a building -- a bar -- and so I thought I'd walk around that way in case there was a fight or something and I could be all heroic....

But all I saw was the bar wench shoveling the walk. Yet, as I neared her she stepped aside and yelled "oh, you're just in time; I shoveled this just for you! Har Har!"

I yelled "Thanks!"

And as I passed she put her arm up for what I thought was a high five, but no: it was for a hug.

As I walked away I heard her repeating the whole thing for whoever was behind me.

Random acts of kindness, peeps, clawing us all back from the edge of the abyss of northern hemisphere winter despair.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8240
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:36 am quote
Crunchy snow
"When life gives you lemons...."

Now all I have to do is keep my non-northern-born wife distracted. We discussed wind chill (up to -40 by next week) at bedtime, at breakfast, and now she's emailed me whether she should put isopropyl alcohol in the gas tank.

She has a 5 mile commute and works two blocks from me....

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 5048
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:34 am quote
Re: Crunchy snow
fledermaus wrote:
"When life gives you lemons...."

Now all I have to do is keep my non-northern-born wife distracted. We discussed wind chill (up to -40 by next week) at bedtime, at breakfast, and now she's emailed me whether she should put isopropyl alcohol in the gas tank.

She has a 5 mile commute and works two blocks from me....

If she uses standard gas in your neighborhood it's probably already 10% alcohol.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4672
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:20 am quote
Out getting groceries yesterday and decided to pop in to my favourite shoe store. The quality hand made stuff almost never goes on sale and I saw a few boots at 70 % off. For fun I asked if they had my size and they did. Left me with no choice but to buy them. So now have another 2 pairs of boots, chukka and trench boots. The old mod in me especially loves the chukkas I hit the first day they went on sale and the store had just opened.

IMG_1833.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 5156
Location: Home of the Alamo
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:29 am quote
Not much. Just read the forecast and we’re to have rain the next nine days straight.

Guess I need to track down the “What’s pissing you off?” thread.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: 23 Feb 2016
Posts: 2660
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:27 am quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Not much. Just read the forecast and we’re to have rain the next nine days straight.

Guess I need to track down the “What’s pissing you off?” thread.
Gray,cold, crap weather forecasted for the entire coming week, here, too, but today we get 9 hours and 44 minutes of daylight (if not "sunlight")...and back in December it was down to 8 hours and 39 minutes...and by the end of February we'll be up to 11 hours....

Usually about mid February I'll leave my office and the sky will be light enough for me to finally, finally think "ok, I might just possibly survive another winter...."
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4672
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:00 am quote
I could care less about grey skies as long as the temps are above freezing I'm happy. Bring the grey skies on and the extra daylight is a nice bonus. It's nice to actually go in to the office around 7 am and have it not be pitch black.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 5156
Location: Home of the Alamo
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:40 am quote
Sun just came out!

Going for a ride.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4672
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:10 pm quote
My wife's birthday next week. Just booked reservations at one of my favourite restaurants in the city. Bonus is it's a 5 minute walk from home.

The food is amazing! Nice thing is we always order paella which takes them about 45 minutes to an hour to prepare so while you wait it's nice to just sit back with a few small plates of apps and a bottle of wine. Not cheap but worth it to treat yourself once in a while. I'm making paella tonight for dinner but it wont come close to what they make there.

http://patriatoronto.com
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8240
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:33 pm quote
Yeah, it's warm and gray...and foggy, but finally warm enough to see why my snowblower quit before the next onslaught of snow. Found a broken belt....one eof the easier things to fix...hopefully. Either that, or meet y'all over at the What's Pissing You Off thread.
Hooked
2016 LXV 150 ie, 2009 GTS Super, 1978 Vespa P125
Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 425
Location: central Illinois USA
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:07 pm quote
Knowing that scooter season will be here before long, I just have to keep on believing. But my taxes are filed and it’s time to quit spending $ on sewing stuff and time to start wrenching on my scoots and spending any extra $ on them!!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8240
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:25 pm quote
Double cheer...
Took our 16 y.o. daughter to the award ceremony at the Milwaukee Art Museum today. It's her second year of winning a Silver Key in the state Scholastic art contest. She puts an incredible amount of work into her drawing, and being as impartial as possible, it's well-deserved. Earned a bit of envy from some of her classmates who want a career in art but didn't win. Her mom had to work today, and was heartbroken....

Had some nice one-on-one time talking about career aspirations and the difficulty of finding a trajectory in life. Science? Engineering? Art? Not so easy, but she's blessed to have a lot of capabilities.

As we were in the neighborhood. stopped by a Middle Eastern grocery that has things that aren't all that easy to find in our smaller town...fresh baked pitas for one... Have only been there a few times, but was once again warmly greeted byt the Palestinian employee who warmly greeted me, "How are you, my friend!" Wandered the aisles picking out a few necessities and other finds, picked up some Syrian cheese that my Mexican wife swears is the best panella she's had in the States. Joked around a bit with an older man who I suspect might be an owner.... really felt like old friends or family. Really love doing business with that level of familiarity, and these people seem exceptional.

All in all a pretty pleasant day.

Scholastic.jpg
Photographing her art

Andrea Scholastic.jpg
She's the tallish brunette.....

Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 3813
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:10 pm quote
Mazel tov, fledermaus!

Such a joy when we see our children doing good things.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...3637383940Next
[ Time: 0.2895s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0691s) ][ Debug on ]