NSR What's cheering you up today?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...444546Next
Author Message
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8752
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:38 am quote
Our daughter passed her driver's test!

First time, too. I'd be less elated, but took her out last night after work for some last-minute practice and she bombed...Illegal turns onto and off of a one-way, ran a stop sign and was pretty bad with other directions.

She'd had a pretty rough day, so that was a factor, but still. Actually took her back into town after dark to have another go, as she was collapsed onto her bed after the first run. She's been working through some anxiety issues, so it's not been all that easy. This morning her confidence level was, shall we say, lower than it should have been.

Worse yet, she got the examiner that my wife and friends nicknamed "the Witch," which didn't raise hopes much.

Can't wait to hear about it!

Not sure how it is elsewhere, but around here there was ONE slot available for testing over a month back. If she'd failed, I'd expect it could be November before trying it again.

Looks like our taxi-service days are waning.....
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 2843
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:45 am quote
Way to go A......! Congratulations!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8752
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:49 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Way to go A......! Congratulations!
I'll pass that along!

[Coming up next in What's Pissing Me Off is a rant about insurance rates for adolescent drivers... ]
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 5460
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:01 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Way to go A......! Congratulations!
I'll pass that along!

[Coming up next in What's Pissing Me Off is a rant about insurance rates for adolescent drivers... ]
One wonders if said insurance agents are perhaps reading scooter forums, and the descriptions of adolescent drivers to be found therein....

Oh, and contratudolences.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5627
Location: Downtown Toronto
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:07 am quote
Off-roading. Huge smile on my face the whole time and went to places my Vespa wasn't built for. I'm sure when I get home and back on the Vespa that will result in a massive grin as well.

IMG_0379.jpeg

IMG_0376.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8752
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:38 am quote
Looks like a blast!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7494
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:46 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
Not sure how it is elsewhere, but around here there was ONE slot available for testing over a month back. If she'd failed, I'd expect it could be November before trying it again.
No appointment needed in Virginia, go to DMV wait for your number to be called, take written test, get learners permit. Then when you turn 16 go and take the driving test.

And I am old and wrong, appointment is needed now.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 2843
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:42 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
Not sure how it is elsewhere, but around here there was ONE slot available for testing over a month back. If she'd failed, I'd expect it could be November before trying it again.
No appointment needed in Virginia, go to DMV wait for your number to be called, take written test, get learners permit. Then when you turn 16 go and take the driving test.
It's the behind-the-wheel driving test that's hard to schedule. What's more, it's held rain or shine...or SNOW in November.

(Sorry I slipped up and used that four-letter word. )
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8752
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:53 pm quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
Not sure how it is elsewhere, but around here there was ONE slot available for testing over a month back. If she'd failed, I'd expect it could be November before trying it again.
No appointment needed in Virginia, go to DMV wait for your number to be called, take written test, get learners permit. Then when you turn 16 go and take the driving test.
It's the behind-the-wheel driving test that's hard to schedule. What's more, it's held rain or shine...or SNOW in November.

(Sorry I slipped up and used that four-letter word. )
Won't snow until winter...and that starts December 21.....

Exactly....getting learner's permit is easy-peasy. Driving test is another story.
Hooked
GTS 300
Joined: 03 Jul 2019
Posts: 123
Location: lewisville , nc. 27023
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:40 pm quote
Finally got a decent afternoon to get out and ride my 2020 GTS 300 Touring, and the front brakes work ,finally
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: 08 Nov 2014
Posts: 1173
Location: Central New York
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:00 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Off-roading. Huge smile on my face the whole time and went to places my Vespa wasn't built for. I'm sure when I get home and back on the Vespa that will result in a massive grin as well.
Harbinger, now that is what that URAL was built for!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5933
Location: New Zealand
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:58 am quote
MV is back up!

Thanks to whoever fixed the fuse.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5627
Location: Downtown Toronto
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:59 am quote
znomit wrote:
MV is back up!

Thanks to whoever fixed the fuse.

Agreed! I just tries logging in my iPhone and was surprised to see MV back up!
Hooked
GTS 300ie Touring
Joined: 03 Jun 2018
Posts: 338
Location: Limassol, Cyprus
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:07 am quote
I didn't know it was down. I thought everyone had abandoned MV for a rival forum. Glad to hear everything is back to normal.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5627
Location: Downtown Toronto
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:39 am quote
Touring300 wrote:
I didn't know it was down. I thought everyone had abandoned MV for a rival forum. Glad to hear everything is back to normal.
There is no rival forum. MV is far and away the best Vespa / Piaggio site on the interwebs.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: 08 Nov 2014
Posts: 1173
Location: Central New York
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:18 am quote
I figured everyone went to this one:

https://www.v8bikeriders.com/forums/index.php
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37601
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:45 am quote
Thank Jess for being able to receive texts on his US phone while in Europe - and reading them!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7494
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:24 am quote
jimc wrote:
Thank Jess for being able to receive texts on his US phone while in Europe - and reading them!
Then taking the time to log in and fix the site!!!! 10x Jess.
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 3257
Location: Staffordshire UK
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:13 am quote
jimc wrote:
Thank Jess for being able to receive texts on his US phone while in Europe - and reading them!
he's in little old Europe? He could have popped in to see us all
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7494
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:24 am quote
fleece wrote:
jimc wrote:
Thank Jess for being able to receive texts on his US phone while in Europe - and reading them!
he's in little old Europe? He could have popped in to see us all
He could have addressed Parliament while there too
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 3257
Location: Staffordshire UK
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:41 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
fleece wrote:
jimc wrote:
Thank Jess for being able to receive texts on his US phone while in Europe - and reading them!
he's in little old Europe? He could have popped in to see us all
He could have addressed Parliament while there too
much as I admire Jess's capabilities, i'm afraid our parliament is beyond addressing
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7494
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:10 am quote
fleece wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
fleece wrote:
jimc wrote:
Thank Jess for being able to receive texts on his US phone while in Europe - and reading them!
he's in little old Europe? He could have popped in to see us all
He could have addressed Parliament while there too
much as I admire Jess's capabilities, i'm afraid our parliament is beyond addressing
Maybe if he makes to Brussels he can speak at the UN
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 29653
Location: Bay Area, California
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:43 am quote
jimc wrote:
Thank Jess for being able to receive texts on his US phone while in Europe - and reading them!
Was standing here, rebooting the server:

9F2B0758-1487-4E8C-BF58-D51814FF23D7.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7494
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:12 pm quote
What an office view
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Joined: 18 Mar 2013
Posts: 2478
Location: Lock Haven, PA
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:34 pm quote
After a week of steamy uncomfortable evenings, we got a new thermostat installed at my father in law's house. Since I'm just a son in law, and I couldn't possibly know anything.... we had someone install it. And then programmed it assuming we had a heat pump here.... oops, noticed it when it got up to 81 in here!

Got it cooling off nicely. My first experience with central A/C. Glad my house has a traditional hot water heat system, something I understand. Now if it were only a habitable house (new wiring, insulation, kitchen, baths, boiler... it's a work in progress!).
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: 08 Nov 2014
Posts: 1173
Location: Central New York
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:10 am quote
This is a follow up on the other what's........thread!
Not sure anyone remembers my screw up mentioned on the other What's p... thread but got a package in the mail this noon from ScooterParts.com.

It was the replacement mirror for wife's 2013 GTV300. It was an exact match to the original, well a match to what the original looked like before my screw up!

Got it mounted and even polished out the the small scratch marks on the right brake lever.

Just wanted to give a shout out to ScooterParts.Com for having it in stock and getting it shipped out fast for a reasonable price. Thanks people!
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Joined: 13 Sep 2017
Posts: 901
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:01 pm quote
Slightly sad that the Great Dane is now so used to hearing me on my morning commute that he no longer even turns his head in my direction BUT

A Pomeranian and a Poodle were overly excited to hear and see me that they happily lunged at me when I rolled by. It made me smile.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5627
Location: Downtown Toronto
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:35 am quote
Going to see the TSO perform Return of the Jedi tonight. We've seen Jurassic Park and Jaws in the past and both were great. It's where they show the film but remove all the music and have the orchestra perform it.

A3972DB9-DD72-43CD-8349-2A66D7F8E65F.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5627
Location: Downtown Toronto
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:55 pm quote
This also cheered me up today. Getting one of our dogs ready for sidecar training.

BC705173-485F-4E7A-8137-8F2B1AC22C9C.jpeg

Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 203
Location: Irving, TX
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:12 pm quote
Today I was offered a new job which includes a 48% pay increase, and better benefits.

I've accepted it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8752
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:55 pm quote
monogodo wrote:
Today I was offered a new job which includes a 48% pay increase, and better benefits.

I've accepted it.
Sounds pretty agreeable to me.

Congratulations!
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Joined: 02 Jul 2016
Posts: 1324
Location: Adelaide
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:15 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
monogodo wrote:
Today I was offered a new job which includes a 48% pay increase, and better benefits.

I've accepted it.
Sounds pretty agreeable to me.

Congratulations!
What he said. I'm curious about the job offer. So if you need an offsider, I could use a 48% pay increase also.

Anyway I thought this was a great story.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-16/owner-reunited-with-lost-dog-after-12-years/11605690
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 203
Location: Irving, TX
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:29 pm quote
Sledge wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
monogodo wrote:
Today I was offered a new job which includes a 48% pay increase, and better benefits.

I've accepted it.
Sounds pretty agreeable to me.

Congratulations!
What he said. I'm curious about the job offer. So if you need an offsider, I could use a 48% pay increase also.
I'll be doing pretty much the same thing I'm doing now, but for an organization that recognizes talent, and compensates accordingly. My current employer pays well below the market average for the kind of work I do. I am currently severely underpaid.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: 08 Nov 2014
Posts: 1173
Location: Central New York
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:15 pm quote
monogodo wrote:
I'll be doing pretty much the same thing I'm doing now, but for an organization that recognizes talent, and compensates accordingly. My current employer pays well below the market average for the kind of work I do. I am currently severely underpaid.
Where you were working underpaid sounds like the outfit I retired from and wouldn't you know their national headquarters for USA is also in Irving Texas!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8752
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:52 am quote
OMG!
My wife has been working in our public library's Children's Department for 10 years now. She's loved working with kids, put heart and soul into her work and gone above and beyond with events and activities..... kids and parents love her...

but....

Her supervisor of the past 5 (?) years is a narcissist who doesn't really like kids. My wife's great success with storytimes has resulted in....her not getting to do them anymore.

It's been heartbreaking for her...and me. It's been a great job, good benefits (including insurance for the family), but she's been talking about looking elsewhere for work, which sucks. Librarians from other departments know what's up and express support, but that doesn't fix anything. Not surprisingly there's been quite a bit of turnover in the department.

Her supervisor has expressed her dislike for her job, but, well, it has good pay and benefits (apparently Wisconsin actually pays librarians well compared to other states) and she'd decided to stay put for a while....to our chagrin.

So....got a message at work this morning that she'd resigned. WOOT! Apparently moving to North Carolina.

Well, their loss.

I suspect morale will be improving shortly...
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 2843
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:19 am quote
Great news! Let the storytimes resume!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8752
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:43 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Great news! Let the storytimes resume!
Yes!

People may start showing up again. She'd gotten maybe 30 or more parents and kids in a storytime at the peak.....her supervisor's were lucky to have a dozen.

Good she didn't sell all the puppets she'd bought on her own for them like she threatened to.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 5627
Location: Downtown Toronto
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:57 am quote
Maybe not bike related but hey there is one in the pics. Also how much can a C650GT for under the seat? Well at least one XBOX ONE X

IMG_1038.jpeg

IMG_1039.jpeg

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: 08 Nov 2014
Posts: 1173
Location: Central New York
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:05 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Great news! Let the storytimes resume!
Yes!

People may start showing up again. She'd gotten maybe 30 or more parents and kids in a storytime at the peak.....her supervisor's were lucky to have a dozen.

Good she didn't sell all the puppets she'd bought on her own for them like she threatened to.
Great news for your wife and maybe more important the kids who will get the benifit of having her to work with them!

Like they say the childern are our future and we sure need some help in that area these days!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8752
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:32 am quote
kshansen wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Great news! Let the storytimes resume!
Yes!

People may start showing up again. She'd gotten maybe 30 or more parents and kids in a storytime at the peak.....her supervisor's were lucky to have a dozen.

Good she didn't sell all the puppets she'd bought on her own for them like she threatened to.
Great news for your wife and maybe more important the kids who will get the benifit of having her to work with them!

Like they say the children are our future and we sure need some help in that area these days!
Thanks. And good news for her husband too....it's not fun dealing with a demoralized partner.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...444546Next
[ Time: 0.3186s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1063s) ][ Debug on ]