NSR What's cheering you up today?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...5051525354Next
Author Message
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 7881
Location: KS USA
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:37 pm quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Coming to Fort Worth in June.

Yay.

Bill x
Old news 🤫
Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910
Joined: 19 Jan 2011
Posts: 346
Location: LA CA
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:47 pm quote
somerset wrote:
I Love Life.
hbd and bless you good sir.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 7881
Location: KS USA
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:08 pm quote
Loving the little hat on the third-to-last syllable. All of those are supposed to be correct.

Screenshot_20200130-230556.png

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6235
Location: New Zealand
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:25 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
So, after moving along in fits and starts, I FINALLY have the footboard assembled (still needs some fitting and sanding, clearly). I'm actually impressed that I didn't just create a pile of firewood along the way.

Wife's birthday is in a month, and with my current momentum, who knows?
That's great work Mr Bat. I dabble a little at the moment and would like to turn it into a retirement hobby (long way off). I've recently seen some Dr Seuss inspired bookcases that I might have a crack at for Thing 2.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: 08 Nov 2014
Posts: 1236
Location: Central New York
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:10 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
It'll have to be this weekend though as I only bought 2 litres of homogenized milk and it calls for 4 and it takes a while to make the cheese as in hours. Should have read the instructions first...:
Sounds real hard core making the cheese curds from scratch!
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 234
Location: Irving, TX
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:27 am quote
I had a meeting with a client of my former employer, to try to get them to switch vendors and use my new employer instead. It went well. My coworker and I agree that they sound unhappy with their current vendor. They loved the work I did for them at their current vendor, and I think they would like to continue that relationship with my current shop.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 6503
Location: Downtown Toronto
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:47 am quote
monogodo wrote:
I had a meeting with a client of my former employer, to try to get them to switch vendors and use my new employer instead. It went well. My coworker and I agree that they sound unhappy with their current vendor. They loved the work I did for them at their current vendor, and I think they would like to continue that relationship with my current shop.
That's good. TBH that's pretty standard practice at least in my industry. I have a few guys I've been dealing with for years and they have switched employers and my business went with them. When a VAR hires someone that is an important consideration and it's expecting senior sales people will bring clients with them. Just my small company alone equals hundreds of thousands of dollars in sales.
Hooked
2020 GTS HPE 300, 2013 GTS 300ie
Joined: 23 Nov 2019
Posts: 132
Location: San Diego
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:10 am quote
Last day of January, this has been a very very long month
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 6503
Location: Downtown Toronto
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:15 am quote
OK...

So testing time. The left is Quebec cheese curd and the right Ontario and the can is the standard poutine gravy you can get here. Tonight I will make 2 batches and compare. Tomorrow or Sunday I will make the poutine kit and my own cheese curd from it. Reviews and yeah of course pics coming..

IMG_1359.jpeg

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: 08 Nov 2014
Posts: 1236
Location: Central New York
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:40 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
OK...

So testing time. The left is Quebec cheese curd and the right Ontario and the can is the standard poutine gravy you can get here. Tonight I will make 2 batches and compare. Tomorrow or Sunday I will make the poutine kit and my own cheese curd from it. Reviews and yeah of course pics coming..
Looking forward to it, wish I could be there to act as an impartial judge!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 9022
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:01 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
OK...

So testing time. The left is Quebec cheese curd and the right Ontario and the can is the standard poutine gravy you can get here. Tonight I will make 2 batches and compare. Tomorrow or Sunday I will make the poutine kit and my own cheese curd from it. Reviews and yeah of course pics coming..
Ooh, I love science!!
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: 08 Nov 2014
Posts: 1236
Location: Central New York
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:19 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
Ooh, I love science!!
I really think Harbinger should be supplying us some samples for a good "peer review" report on this important subject! And with Fiedermaus being from Wisconsin he should take the lead on any cheesy testing! And being New York is the #3 dairy state I guess I would also need to be on the board for approval!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 5707
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:19 pm quote
kshansen wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
Ooh, I love science!!
I really think Harbinger should be supplying us some samples for a good "peer review" report on this important subject! And with Fiedermaus being from Wisconsin he should take the lead on any cheesy testing! And being New York is the #3 dairy state I guess I would also need to be on the board for approval!
I'd be happy to be tie-breaker.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 9022
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:46 pm quote
kshansen wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
Ooh, I love science!!
I really think Harbinger should be supplying us some samples for a good "peer review" report on this important subject! And with Fiedermaus being from Wisconsin he should take the lead on any cheesy testing! And being New York is the #3 dairy state I guess I would also need to be on the board for approval!
Indeed. Brilliant! So we have three......
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 6503
Location: Downtown Toronto
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:50 pm quote
I will keep you all informed. All ingredients are ready to go and cheese making experiment starts tomorrow or Sunday. Actually takes a while and need to see what the wife has planned for the weekend. I have to reconfigure a BIM (CAD backend) server for a large architecture firm but they can wait a bit in the name of science and more importantly cheese!
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: 08 Nov 2014
Posts: 1236
Location: Central New York
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:56 am quote
[quote="Harbinger"]I will keep you all informed. All ingredients are ready to go and cheese making experiment starts tomorrow or Sunday. Actually takes a while and need to see what the wife has planned for the weekend. I have to reconfigure a BIM (CAD backend) server for a large architecture firm but they

Glad you got your priorities straight! What is more important, getting the server working so they can build another high-rise or making a yummy batch of poutine?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 6503
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:00 am quote
[quote="kshansen"]
Harbinger wrote:
I will keep you all informed. All ingredients are ready to go and cheese making experiment starts tomorrow or Sunday. Actually takes a while and need to see what the wife has planned for the weekend. I have to reconfigure a BIM (CAD backend) server for a large architecture firm but they

Glad you got your priorities straight! What is more important, getting the server working so they can build another high-rise or making a yummy batch of poutine?
I figure thy've built enough high rises and can wait a day or so... stuff can be a PITA to work on because one little screw up can cost you hours to correct. As much as I complain about my neighbourhood changing and this city getting more and more insane I can only complain so much. Recent reports say Toronto will hit 8 million people in the next 10 years and much of that construction os my part of town. Also a lot of that construction is my biggest client and where a good chunk of my income comes from.

OK so back to poutine. Here is last nights effort with store bought curd. A slight nod goes to the Quebec curds on the left. Squeakier and more bight to them, I really think it has to do with Quebec having better milk. For my science experiment I bought some high end milk at St Lawerence market. Today my wife wants to go to the market and then Mill St brewery in the distillery district for lunch so my cheese attempt will most likely be tomorrow.

The other thing cheering me up is it's almost impossible to find parking by the market on a Saturday but there is always a spot too small for a car but just right for a Ural

IMG_1361.jpeg

BC6C6C05-7F2B-4740-BC73-E14973AAE469.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 9022
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:30 am quote
Well, last week, actually.

Despite my life-long nearsightedness, I'd done well with vision until the last couple of years. Two or three years back, had a retinal bleed from overlifting (wasn't that supposed to cause hernias? My hernia surgeon said no..). That was a bit of a sh*tshow that turned out fine. Then an optometrist got excited about my cataracts, leaving me to fear I'd have surgery far sooner than I'd expect. Last summer I wound up with a vitreal detachment that again required no treatment. Since then I'd notice some funkiness of vision when staring at my screen that seemed to be worse on the side of detachment. As many of you know, after a bit you start expectingthings to go wrong....

So, bracing myself for my annual exam, I go in, and get checked out. As the (different) optometrist is giving me my results, I quiz him about the cataracts, which are actually pretty early-stage. The "funkiness" of vision is nothing, apparently, and turns out a vitreal detachment is actually protective against a retinal detachment. Not awesome news, I guess, but when it's better than you expect, you celebrate regardless.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 5419
Location: Home of the Alamo
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:51 pm quote
After two days with a stomach bug, I'm beginning to feel a bit better. Maybe I'll eat some solid food tonight!
Hooked
2020 GTS HPE 300, 2013 GTS 300ie
Joined: 23 Nov 2019
Posts: 132
Location: San Diego
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:34 pm quote
Husband got his motorcycle endorsement. Now he can legally ride my scooter on the road and practice until we can get him his own
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 7881
Location: KS USA
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:40 am quote
sdscooterista wrote:
Husband got his motorcycle endorsement. Now he can legally ride my scooter on the road and practice until we can get him his own
That's awesome. I can still remember how good I felt when I got my endorsement.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 234
Location: Irving, TX
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:04 pm quote
I printed out some posters on the large format color printer now that it's working, and decided to hang them on the wall to add some color to the shop. We also got 5 more tables to increase work space.

Copy Center Pano-s.jpg
(Panoramic shot. Windows are back wall. Posters are on side walls. Counter window is front.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 7881
Location: KS USA
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:50 pm quote
monogodo wrote:
I printed out some posters on the large format color printer now that it's working, and decided to hang them on the wall to add some color to the shop. We also got 5 more tables to increase work space.
I own a jacket like yours in the avatar. Your suggestion is going to go well with one of my oil paint portraits in the garage.
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 2554
Location: Carrollton, Kentucky
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:32 pm quote
I got my morning walk in this morning, ahead of the torrential rains. Also down 9 lbs since beginning a program to improve my health and appearance.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 7881
Location: KS USA
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:44 pm quote
wmak wrote:
I got my morning walk in this morning, ahead of the torrential rains. Also down 9 lbs since beginning a program to improve my health and appearance.
Kudos to you! My health weight is back to normal as well.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 9022
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:37 pm quote
wmak wrote:
I got my morning walk in this morning, ahead of the torrential rains. Also down 9 lbs since beginning a program to improve my health and appearance.
Yayy!

I got work to do....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 6503
Location: Downtown Toronto
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:18 am quote
This:

youtu.be/lLLL1KxpYMA

Fun times back in the day and I actually got a chance to hang with a lot of the big Ska bands. It's been a long week and I just got back to my home office and figured I could use a little cheering up. BTW most of the guys were great but lots of Lambreatta love though of course Vespa was respected. As far as I can tell all the Madness vids are on YouTube, I started with Baggy Trousers. Being part of the scene during the revival made for a lot of fun times and good memories.
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Joined: 13 Sep 2017
Posts: 998
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:53 am quote
Wussing out this week, driving the cage. Blue Oyster Cult "Don't Fear the Reaper" comes on. I do the international mime of More Cowbell. All the zombies around me were oblivious to me having fun and being silly. The dire looks on their face or them staring at their phones (At a stoplight but still) and all.

Made me which I rode but glad I didn't to remind me, I'm a bit off but it's a good thing and even something as simple as my morning commute can elicit joy.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 234
Location: Irving, TX
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:58 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
monogodo wrote:
I had a meeting with a client of my former employer, to try to get them to switch vendors and use my new employer instead. It went well. My coworker and I agree that they sound unhappy with their current vendor. They loved the work I did for them at their current vendor, and I think they would like to continue that relationship with my current shop.
That's good. TBH that's pretty standard practice at least in my industry. I have a few guys I've been dealing with for years and they have switched employers and my business went with them. When a VAR hires someone that is an important consideration and it's expecting senior sales people will bring clients with them. Just my small company alone equals hundreds of thousands of dollars in sales.
Had a second meeting with them, at their office, yesterday. My coworker was only going to drop off print samples, but thought it would be nice for me to join her. The client wasn't expecting me. Some of the women in the office didn't realize who I was when I arrived, but once they found out, heads started popping out of offices to see me. I learned that they "went through a mourning period" after I left my previous job.

I also learned that my previous employer royally screwed up an important order of theirs last week. It was the same order that I had produced for the client 9 years earlier which ended up winning my employer at the time their business. Ironically, it might end up causing my now former employer to lose the client's business.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6235
Location: New Zealand
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:10 am quote
We have helmet threads, vax threads, harley threads, global warming threads all going here, and very little argy bargy.



Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Joined: 02 Jul 2016
Posts: 1444
Location: Adelaide
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:36 pm quote
znomit wrote:
We have helmet threads, vax threads, harley threads, global warming threads all going here, and very little argy bargy.



(someone jinxed it)
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6235
Location: New Zealand
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:47 pm quote
Sledge wrote:
znomit wrote:
We have helmet threads, vax threads, harley threads, global warming threads all going here, and very little argy bargy.



(someone jinxed it)
It looks like a nice unseasonably hot day to ride my Harley with its loud pipes to the doctor to get my flu shot but I canít find my helmet so I think Iíll just change my oil instead.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 6503
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:58 am quote
A little shop at St Lawrence market that sells newspapers and little toys etc just got a bunch of Vespa models in. He also said he's been trying to get Lambretta but it's hard. He was happy to source the Vespas.

6639BA2A-E52A-4222-9410-0182F5A2EFB7.jpeg

eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125/Kymco AK550 I don't care. You can quote me.
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 17775
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:16 am quote
Whore
A forgotten Pension Policy worth over $60,000.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 9022
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:04 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
A little shop at St Lawrence market that sells newspapers and little toys etc just got a bunch of Vespa models in. He also said he's been trying to get Lambretta but it's hard. He was happy to source the Vespas.
Cool!

Lambrettas probably kept breaking...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 6503
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:47 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
A little shop at St Lawrence market that sells newspapers and little toys etc just got a bunch of Vespa models in. He also said he's been trying to get Lambretta but it's hard. He was happy to source the Vespas.
Cool!

Lambrettas probably kept breaking...
Yeah, probbaly

Now for those wondering about the fresh cheese curd/poutine experiment. It is currently underway and is a little more involved that I thought but still fun. I'm just doing the final press now and by this evening should have the finished product.

The journey so far...

IMG_1388.jpeg

IMG_1390.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 9022
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:44 pm quote
Funny, bears similarity to my tofu-making project years ago.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 6503
Location: Downtown Toronto
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:09 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
Funny, bears similarity to my tofu-making project years ago.
Ha! Yeah I can see that. The curd tasted great and the yield was more than I expected. That being said it has plenty of room for improvement and I will keep practicing. I think I know where I went wrong and a friend gave me some great advice. During much of the process the milk is to be kept at 90 degrees which can be tricky. I used a warm water bath but my friend mentioned using a sous vide which I do own. So next time I'll use the immersion heater to heat an external water bath.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 5707
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:33 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
Funny, bears similarity to my tofu-making project years ago.
Ha! Yeah I can see that. The curd tasted great and the yield was more than I expected. That being said it has plenty of room for improvement and I will keep practicing. I think I know where I went wrong and a friend gave me some great advice. During much of the process the milk is to be kept at 90 degrees which can be tricky. I used a warm water bath but my friend mentioned using a sous vide which I do own. So next time I'll use the immersion heater to heat an external water bath.
Double boiler?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 6503
Location: Downtown Toronto
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:06 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
Funny, bears similarity to my tofu-making project years ago.
Ha! Yeah I can see that. The curd tasted great and the yield was more than I expected. That being said it has plenty of room for improvement and I will keep practicing. I think I know where I went wrong and a friend gave me some great advice. During much of the process the milk is to be kept at 90 degrees which can be tricky. I used a warm water bath but my friend mentioned using a sous vide which I do own. So next time I'll use the immersion heater to heat an external water bath.
Double boiler?
That would work. The nice thing abut a sous vide is it will keep the temperature consistent plus I already own one. A double boiler I'd just improvise on and 90 is a pretty low temp to keep even with a gas stove.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...5051525354Next
[ Time: 0.1892s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0635s) ][ Debug on ]