a Big Thanks, a rant, and replacement mirrors
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
2012 GVT 300
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:49 pm quote
Have not visited here in some time but last time when the rear went flat with a screw that only kept in some of the air for a while I was able to research here about the Stop and Go tire plug kit and it did the trick so a BIG THANKS for being here in time of need sorry forgot my manners

now a pox upon all thieves and vandals of all kinds sort of a burn in hell to all those who do ill to others. I do my daily 10 mile round trip to werk come rain or shine here in the desert southwest on my trusty steed, IERI (Italian for....) and park in the hospital garage where i work in a segregated scooter bike area and i thoroughly believe i am the envy of all those BMW's and other bikers with my stylin' Porto Fino green GTV 300 i can just feel it. Today i come out from work and saddle up and about a block away i realize that i now have a more aerodynamic look and feel to my ride. some scoundrel-ous wretch has removed BOTH OF MY MIRRORS now (expletives deleted) political hate crime (no comment about my bumper sticker) or and envy crime???

The security folks are now going through today's tapes and hopefully by tomorrow they may have id'd the perp. but must move on

Any ideas or thoughts on replacement mirrors - all comers welcome. I have always though I'd be happier with a wider field of vision mirror wise. Please and Thank you all who read and comment youse guys (and gals) are da best!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:58 pm quote
Well, that stinks.

I'd guess that for overall best rear view, that stock mirrors are best.
Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, (Both NZ new Airco assembled), Francesca, 2006 Vespa LX150, Sofia, 2007 Vespa GT200
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:07 pm quote
Robot has just done a few videos on replacement mirrors.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:25 am quote
Did they just steal your mirrors? Here the wheels are also stolen but only to have the tire ... and the muffler.
Enthusiast
2012 GVT 300
Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:58 am quote
Follow up on theft of mirrors
Have ordered and received stock replacement mirrors from our fiends at Scooter West., and will install later today

More importantly the security cameras did catch the perp and i was able to view what was less than a 30 second theft of both mirrors. late 20's something guy arrives on bicycle with high rise handlebars and goes directly to my bike leans over his handlebars and unscrews both mirrors and rides away, dropping and picking up one of the mirrors on his way out. clearly he had cased my bike and planned his attack and escape. my only guess is that he didn't bother with anything on the more expensive BMW parked right behind me was because it things on the BMWer were harder to remove.

Am beginning to look at craig's list ebay to see if they show up for sale

which leads me to the question How can I prevent/deter this from happening again?

have thought of drilling and tapping for a set screw (see attached photo) but would have to free hand it as i'm not interested in taking it brake cylinders etc all apart and have sold my drill press a couple of years ago, some sort of an anti tamper alarm? super locktite?

Thoughts? comments? would be greatly appreciated

IERI set screw.jpg

Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:38 am quote
Make a hole under the stem and in its center and make screw it, once the mirror is screwed and stopped, screw from under an Allen bolt with a washer to act as a stop. This if there is empty to do it ...
Hooked
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:52 am quote
My solution would be a set of cheap and possibly mismatched mirrors, at least for the next few weeks. You're otherwise providing him with another opportunity to acquire even newer mirrors than he got the last time, and maybe his nerves/detox symptoms will have lessened so he doesn’t drop one.
Enthusiast
2012 GVT 300
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:28 am quote
Like Juan's thoughts but I'm thinking I'll be spending less if i take my 17mm wrench with me to work. i can get the mirrors off pretty quickly and reinstall for the ride home

who know maybe the end of a couple of weeks i'll be a pro.. you know in case my day job doesn't pan out

Thanks you all
Hooked
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:49 am quote
With that much practice you’ll soon be proficient at stealing mirrors on your own.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1512s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0282s) ][ Debug on ]