Best Motorbike for a beginner?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:47 am quote
Hi everyone what motorbike/scootor is best for a first time user?
I have heard that 3 wheeled scooters are that best as they are very stable.
If thats the case what 3 wheeled schooter is best?
Also are they any "cheap chinese rubbish bikes" that are actually good?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:30 am quote
The Kymco you fell off is probably a good choice. No?

Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:11 am quote
Sadly no I dont think so as it seemed quite unstable.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:29 am quote
There aren't really a lot of options for 3 wheeled scooters and that list made even smaller by where you live and availability. The Yamaha Tricity might be an option if the MP3 is not on your list. Still with some of the non Piaggio models you are going to be likely looking at smaller displacement scoots. The Peugeot Metropolis might be an option IF you can find it for higher CC's.

There are a bunch of cheaper but reliable smaller Tupperware scooters out not knowing how big an engine you are after and what purpose you need the ride for listing any os difficult. Kymco is usually a safe choice that much I do know. The Yamaha Niken is right out for a beginner.

CanAm and Ural are also option but not scooters and expensive. Plus with Ural you need a fair amount of upper body strength.

Being able to balance a scoot/bike is essential to riding. Yeah some will be better than others and if you want a really well balanced scooter or bike BMW does a great job but then you are getting up in price.
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:39 am quote
It depends on what type of machine you want (or think you want) to end up on.

Any small displacement step-through scooter will be the most easy thing to learn on. No shifting, good brakes, very nimble, very light.

A "big wheel" scooter (like a Kymco "People") will be less twitchy because of the larger diameter 16" wheels.

A small displacement motorcycle will be a little more top heavy and will teach you clutch and shift.

3-wheelers are an odd species. Non-tilting trikes are very stable right up until they flip over. Something like a Can-am Spyder has a bunch of electronic stability controls built in to prevent you from getting to that point. Tilting trikes like the MP3 are not stable at all and can fall over like any other two wheeler.

"Are there any "cheap chinese rubbish bikes" that are actually good?". Sadly you get what you pay for. If it's really cheap there is a reason. Do you want to spend your time riding or repairing?
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:45 am quote
Have you taken some rider training (CBT or similar) since your initial off?

If you don't know the do's and dont's first, the question has to be what is the least dangerous motorbike to come off, in which case i'd say the one that you are nearer the ground on to start with!

If you have taken some rider training, I would probably go with something like a Honda Zoomer (aka Ruckus) 50cc, low centre of gravity, big chunky tyres, not much to break if you have an off, and it's a Honda

zoomer.jpg

Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:00 am quote
I would go for something like a Piaggio Zip.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:15 am quote
The three-wheeled scooter "is not" for inexperienced people ... it is not what it seems, it is not easier to drive; sure ... those who have already experienced driving on two wheels will have an advantage but he will also need a period of adaptation.
I recommend starting with a high-wheeled scooter (2).
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:41 am quote
Step one, take a riding course.
Piaggio BV350
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:46 am quote
Re: Best Motorbike for a beginner?
spellburg wrote:
I have heard that 3 wheeled scooters are that best as they are very stable.
2 billion people with two wheel bikes/motorcycles/scooters/mopeds would beg to differ. That is not an exaggeration. Time to get your hearing checked. I am going to suggest that you learn how to ride a bicycle first. A 50cc scooter should be no problem if you are completely comfortable on a bicycle. If 2 billion other people can do it, so can you.

Last edited by rdhood on Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:10 am quote
I have both. A big wheel Piaggio Liberty 150 and a pro conversion of a Honda Silverwing scooter with a MotorTrike conversion, making it a true 3 wheeler/trike. I love big wheel scooters and I kinda hate the trike. The trike requires arm strength and odd riding skills.

I would say hunt down a used Honda Ruckus. Light, low and reliable. Take a riding course and buy some decent riding gear. If you do decide to go with a trike (like a China brand trike) still do the riding course and some decent gear.

The trike I have belongs to my wife. She rarely rides it because shes getting older and it tires her upper body out. But she has ridden it some pretty good distances, complaining when we get there!

No I've seen China clones of Can-Am Spyders before. 2 wheels in the front-one in the back. I prefer that configuration over a conventional trike (we had a Spyder for awhile).

Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:46 am quote
Thanks everyone for your relpys You have all given me a lot to think about.
By the way the one I had an accedent one was a kymco super 8.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:57 am quote
pmatulew wrote:
3-wheelers are an odd species. Non-tilting trikes are very stable right up until they flip over. Something like a Can-am Spyder has a bunch of electronic stability controls built in to prevent you from getting to that point. Tilting trikes like the MP3 are not stable at all and can fall over like any (other) two wheeler.
Exactly right.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:50 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
pmatulew wrote:
3-wheelers are an odd species. Non-tilting trikes are very stable right up until they flip over. Something like a Can-am Spyder has a bunch of electronic stability controls built in to prevent you from getting to that point. Tilting trikes like the MP3 are not stable at all and can fall over like any (other) two wheeler.
Exactly right.
It is so but even worse, the greater weight in the front makes the response slower, raising the front when cornering can be tricky; why it is caused by the steering geometry ...
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:22 pm quote
"the one I had an accedent one was a kymco super 8."

Perfect. Stick with the Kymco. They have a good reputation for being dependable.

Now just take a step back and learn how to ride it without breaking your leg each trip.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:32 am quote
Haha pmatulew thanks that comment made me laugh
16 Piaggio BV350 2004 Scarabeo 500
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:28 pm quote
A Beta Evo 200 will teach you how to ride a motorcycle like no other bike . And if you come to Pennsylvania I will give you some lessons you can ride the 200 and I will ride my Beta Evo 300 . And then if you show me that you can balance and have the guts to ride a motorcycle you can battle the cagers on my 2010 Honda 110 scooter . That will really teach you what cagers can do since they don't like to share the rode with scooters as a whole . So if you plan on riding on the rode you will fall and you will get hurt so get some lessons and dress to fall or except the consequences .
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1488s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0331s) ][ Debug on ]