my first vespa project
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports Previous12
Molto Verboso
Black 2007 PX200, Dark green 1986 PX225 Pinasco, "1972"(yeah rite) Tangerine px200, several TRIUMPH TIGRESS SCOOTERS
Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:09 pm quote
I dont think that peter bognor understands the einstein quote one bit.

This build is really good man. Great planning and decent achievable fabrication work done so far.

You put it up there sooo... yeah i dont love the choice of indicators on the rear either, as i thought you might be doing some sort of minimalist shaved indicator fabrication or something. But hey its your scoot and it is looking good so far.

Im not really a huge yellow scooter fan, reminds me too much of the beatles song which i thought was a bit silly. Id go for a matt white. Im sure what ever you decide on will look great as they are all good colours...except for the yellow ;p
Hooked
2010 gts 300 super super. 09 MP3 500 super duper
Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:19 pm quote
I decided not to paint bike a wild color. most likely color will be white, silver, or blue in that order. I dont mind the negative feedback on the blinkers. but I think people need to see the finished product before judging. the finished look will flow well together. it wiill be a custom look that most have not yet seen. I know I will like it. thats what matters most.
Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:58 am quote
let's see some progress!!
Hooked
Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:09 am quote
I had to consolidate space with this project. it as taking up the space of two bikes. so I tranfered the running engine to good frame. got to drive it finally. yahoo. love the takeoff of the 300. very toruey. started a new business so I am scrambling for time for my side projects.
Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:36 am quote
well how about some pictures!! Selfish bastard
Hooked
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:45 am quote
its not like me to not finish my projects. this one has been on hold long enough. been riding this bike every chance I get. super impressed with this scooter every time I ride it. its just an absolute blast to ride. its definitely the best scooter experience I have had. been searching for all the parts I have to finish this. they are stored all over the place. still missing a box somewhere. I cant find the second mirror so I know I am missing some stuff. I have been riding this bike for past two years as it sits. sans the mirror that I just put on yesterday. cant believe how nice this little mirror works. very clear with complete rear view. I dont think it even needs a second mirror. looks slick with just one. I am down to two paint color choices. either white or grey. leaning toward grey. not the original greyish blue. dont care for that shade at all. I like the new modern grays that are popping up on cars. goes with a blacked out theme very well. at this point its not gonna get a total repaint. just too much work removing engine again. I can live with that. next struggle is the blinkers. I dont think they were received well here so I have been brainstorming options . got a great idea for the front just cant decide how to do the back.

readers digest version. I am back on it! more to come soon.

1. can everyone see my old pictures? they are on photobucket. can move them to postimage if need be. not sure if this board saves the uploads or not.
2. I cant get key out of ignition unless steering is in locked position. is this normal? or should it come out with steering unlocked position as well??
3. anyone have a gts300 and have a second scooter they like equally well? I am looking around for another project. something along the lines of an older 2-stroke vespa. having to shift and the sound of two stroke sounds like something I might enjoy on another level. but just not sure as I do like modern smooth power, brakes, and handling.
Hooked
Vespa GTS 150 3v SUPER. Vespa V100 x 1. Lambretta Li150 x 1. Px 125 x 2. Px 200 x 1 (red bull special) T5 Classic x 1. Vespa Cosa x 2.CF moto 650mt
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:36 pm quote
jerryd wrote:
its not like me to not finish my projects. this one has been on hold long enough. been riding this bike every chance I get. super impressed with this scooter every time I ride it. its just an absolute blast to ride. its definitely the best scooter experience I have had. been searching for all the parts I have to finish this. they are stored all over the place. still missing a box somewhere. I cant find the second mirror so I know I am missing some stuff. I have been riding this bike for past two years as it sits. sans the mirror that I just put on yesterday. cant believe how nice this little mirror works. very clear with complete rear view. I dont think it even needs a second mirror. looks slick with just one. I am down to two paint color choices. either white or grey. leaning toward grey. not the original greyish blue. dont care for that shade at all. I like the new modern grays that are popping up on cars. goes with a blacked out theme very well. at this point its not gonna get a total repaint. just too much work removing engine again. I can live with that. next struggle is the blinkers. I dont think they were received well here so I have been brainstorming options . got a great idea for the front just cant decide how to do the back.

readers digest version. I am back on it! more to come soon.

1. can everyone see my old pictures? they are on photobucket. can move them to postimage if need be. not sure if this board saves the uploads or not.
2. I cant get key out of ignition unless steering is in locked position. is this normal? or should it come out with steering unlocked position as well??
3. anyone have a gts300 and have a second scooter they like equally well? I am looking around for another project. something along the lines of an older 2-stroke vespa. having to shift and the sound of two stroke sounds like something I might enjoy on another level. but just not sure as I do like modern smooth power, brakes, and handling.
Hi.

A great project you have going on there. The scooter community needs people like you with fresh ideas and adaptations to scooters. Thinking outside of the box. I love it. Initially my scooter was matte grey. Got bored of that and clear coated it. Got bored again and painted it white which i have to say i really love.

In relation to your questions. 1. Yes i can see your pics. 2. Key should come out with engine switched off and steering in straight ahead position.
3. Nope. Sorry.
Keep up the good work buddy.

Tom
Hooked
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:19 pm quote
chipping away at paint prep. a good paint job is 99% good preparation.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
a herd of easy shifty rats
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:49 pm quote
Nice work Jerry, you have the knack.
jerryd wrote:
3. ... I am looking around for another project. something along the lines of an older 2-stroke vespa. having to shift and the sound of two stroke sounds like something I might enjoy on another level. but just not sure as I do like modern smooth power, brakes, and handling.
You hit the nail on the head, but sadly you couldn't be further away. Look here, but keep on looking & good luck! Me, I'm two down and two or three to go: Looking for those who are shifty curious & local.
Hooked
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:20 pm quote
Mounted the exhaust today. I was afraid I wasnt not gonna like the sound of the pipe. I am very picky when it comes to modifications. and I dont like loud. The sound is very nice. I would call it a stock replacement. not loud at all. very similar to stock really. just a slightly more metallic tone to it. most noticeable difference , has a lot more character during decell. nice deep sound with occasional pop to it. I was hoping to pick up 1/2 hp or so. Not sure yet as it was raining during test rides. water doesnt make power so hard to tell if it picked up anything. no less fun thats for sure. love the open look to it. I plan to make some changes to how it mounts for an even cleaner look. also plan to just carefully grind off the heat shield mounts. so no point in the shield and mine is scratched up anyway. this modification shaves 8lbs.

here is my idea for front blinkers. custom bar end blinkers. I want to maintain 10.5oz of bar end weight. so these will be filled with lead. good bit of work making these work. but very cool in the end. I looked at the early bar end lenses which are too expensive and too long. these will be made as short as possible. I like you that you could get away with these blinkers only as these can be seen from front and rear.

this stuff is supposed to strip the chrome off. $1 at the dollar store.
Hooked
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:50 am quote

so this blinker mounting is kicking my but. took forever to decide how I was gonna get wire to the bulb. whether to drill down middle of bolt, or drill off to the side. neither is ideal really. both have issues making it work. decided on the middle route which would require welding a bolt to assembly. then you just turn whole assembly to tighten. so I started with drilling handle bar. only found the dang bar is solid for at least 4.5 inches. thats how deep my whole was before the new bit snapped off leaving me screwed for that method. not giving up though. got a third much better idea now I know bar is solid for most part. I am gona have 10-12 hrs in this little mod.
Hooked
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:09 pm quote
toying with spare brake levers

surprised I havent seen anyone use the early emblem on the late bikes. fits right in. looks far better to me.

bike is running too lean since pipe install. I hear detonation if I WOT too long. stock injector is 158cc. these are 175 and 193. gonna try a little larger imjector to see if it solves my problem.

simple mount for new blinkers in rear.

had to furthur modify gt200 tail light and the 300 fender so they fit good.

Hooked
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:20 am quote
anatomy of a simple mod. this looked simple to do. I dont want to run the plastic trim pieces. the suspension is a thing of beauty to me. just wanted to remove the cable bracket. it can be held in place out of sight with just a nice tye wrap. this ended up taking about an hour. and it isnt finished yet.

Hooked
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:28 am quote
bought some glass jars . started transferring my paints into storage jars. some of this paint is thirty years old and its still very usable. high quality automotive paint. choosing paint color is always difficult when you are not painting the original color. good chance to set your bike apart from the crowd.

Hooked
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:01 am quote
more colors from this morning. still a handful left. with nearly two gallons of white which can be used as base for mixing a pastel color.

gonna be real tempted to do a multicolor but with muted colors that blend well together. as opposed to bright colors that clash. malossi does multi color racing vespas. also too bright if you ask me.

will get a better paint job when rest of bike is finally painted. but looks better than it did.

me. proud of my project.

Last edited by jerryd on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
a herd of easy shifty rats
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:07 pm quote

Harlequin Vespa! I like that idea. Those multi colored VW Mk3 Golf Harlequins came from the factory that way and I always wanted one.

Hooked
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:58 am quote
good friend John picked up the small change from a pic like this.

did some round one air box mods. I have a good idea of what round two should be.

Hooked
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:49 pm quote
update on the project handler bar blinkers. I got four molds ready to pour. watched some videos on how to melt metal using charcoal. cutting the bottom of a fire extinguisher makes a good crucible. I used bottom of propane tank. which I thought would work for one time use. it melted the lead in about 5 minutes. but I couldnt work fast enough to add more lead. fire ended up getting too hot and the steel melted. pretty hot.. so my melted lead escaped the crucible before it made it to my molds. I shall not give up.

Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports Previous12
[ Time: 0.3655s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0870s) ][ Debug on ]