Psiclops revisited!!
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 12Next
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:29 pm quote
For all the newbies and tool hounds that have joined lately here is an item that several oldtimers have found to be indespensible. The Psiclops price is hard to pass up. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSICLOPS-DRIVE-BALANCED-EXTREME-PRESSURE-GAGE-NIB-/280867968201?pt=Automotive_Services&hash=item41650914c9&vxp=mtrpt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item232998ac60&vxp=mtr
Or you can go crazy and buy all three models.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-PSICLOPS-EXTREME-TIRE-BALANCING-PRESSURE-GAUGE-XL180-EXTREME-PRO15-/151021726816?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item232998ac60&vxp=mtr
For a little back history: PsiClops review

3-TO-GO.jpg
Case included.

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:03 pm quote
Good find - damn expensive shipping tho. Gotta make those extra nickels.
Hooked
Piaggio Liberty S 150 (Retired: Piaggio MP3 500)
Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:19 pm quote
These are AWESOME...I have two, one I use for bikes (slime in the tires that get into the chucks too), the other exclusively for our cars and scoots. I also recently picked up the XL180 model--some of our tires go beyond the 60 psi limit of the Extreme that seems to be the most common. The chucks can be a little temperamental at times and you have to finesse them just right to keep them on the stems without losing air, but the results are worth it...
Molto Verboso
2009 MP3 400ie, Silver- "Lorelei Lee Long"
Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:49 pm quote
I don't get it. What's the point of this when you can balance the pressure just fine with one gauge?...
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:19 am quote
Sidecutter wrote:
I don't get it. What's the point of this when you can balance the pressure just fine with one gauge?...
Here is your answer from the developer himself Dan Wrubel:

"Hi all. I found this thread while casually searching via google and would like to post a comment, if you don't mind.
My name is Dan Wrubel and I'm the head cheese over here at Equal Air. Because the Psiclops are a new line of tools, many don't understand for what they are used. The basic idea behind Psiclops is to very quickly balance pressure between two tires, then through the tool, increase/decrease the pressure in both tires simultaneously. To do this: 1-Attach one hose to each tire (usually both fronts or both rears), 2-Stand comfortably, 3-Depress the trigger-like bleeder to air both tires down, or 4-Apply your compressor hose to the schrader valve in the tool handle to air both tires up.

That being said, I'd like to address some of the short comments in the thread.
We don't sell any tools to circle track teams. Like DaveN007 said, perfect pressure won't last long and so where staggered pressures are desired, a Psiclops is not the tool for you. We do, however, have several top fuel nhra drag racing teams using our tools. If a multi-million dollar drag team thinks the tools are good, there must be something to it, eh?!

Regarding TPMS: TPMS only tells you when you have a problem, it doesn't (unless you have a Hummer I-III) fix the pressure for you. That's where Psiclops comes in. If you have a pressure balance problem, as indicated by your TPMS, simply hook the offending tire up to the tire on the opposite side of the car and presto!, no more problem. Now, if the offending tire is going flat, then you aren't solving anything and better get to a service station!

Let's be honest about it...you are attempting to balance your tire pressures now, you are just squatting, taking a lot of time, and doing a lousy job of it. The Psiclops is very small (6.9") from end to end and is very compact in it's custom case, storing just about anywhere you want it to. When you use a Psiclops, you aren't getting close, or even really close, to balancing your tire pressures, you are being EXACT!

The Psiclops, in one of it's many flavors (35-180psi, 0-15psi, 3-60psi) is being used by people all over the country from off-road enthusiasts, to semi and motor coach drivers to nhra drag racing professional to the serious sport-auto enthusiast. The warranty is for life, because that is how long you will use it...

Our tools are VERY accurate. You will not need any other pressure gauge once you own a Psiclops. A standard automotive gauge, and most "high quality" gauges are still just 3-2-3 gauges. In the biz, that means that the first and last 25% of the scale is accurate to within 3% of full scale while the middle 50% of scale is accurate to 2%. If your gauge doesn't specifically state otherwise, then it is of this common variety of cheap gauges. Even digital gauges, instead of telling you how accurate they are, are sold to you as how small an increment they display. Beware of this as it is not a lie, but neither is it an indication of the gauge accuracy.

Our Pro15 has a 1% guage and the Extreme and XL180 have 2% gauges.

When considering how accurate a gauge to use, consider how/why you use it. To say "I am a stickler for proper tire pressure." is not a reason to keep a highly accurate gauge. To say "I want my left side pressures to be identical to my right side pressures" is. In short, a highly accurate (1/4% full scale) gauge is only necessary if you are the latter (want left side to be like right side) kind of person. Even then, you are only as accurate as the gauge tolerance will allow. With a Psiclops, you are not only exactly identical left side to right, but you are within ~1 psi of where you want to be.

To date, if you haven't been using a Psiclops, or don't have a 1/4% full scale-accuracy gauge (usually $300-$1000), your tire pressures have been out of balance by 2-3psi side-to-side.

Whew! I've been talking about this stuff for so many years I tend to carry on a bit. I hope this answers your Q."

Now after reading all that here's the time line.
He wrote the above quote in 04-09-2007, since then sales for the device have been less than expected. Price point started out at $199.00 - $99.00 depending on the unit, the lowest price was a single hose unit that has since sold out. The convenance factor was lost despite the satisfaction knowing your tires have equal pressure. The price you see now I assume is to cut his loss and break even if possible.

For the MP3 it is an overkill unless for your "peace of mind" that both front tires are equal. At least my anal retentive requirement has been achieved.
Addicted
MP3 400 "Merlin"
Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:14 am quote
Whoa...for that shipping price I'll drive ride up to Kalamazoo myself and pick it up!
Ossessionato
2009 MP3-500 aka Red Dog 2007 Vespa 250ie
Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:44 am quote
Sidecutter wrote:

^^^ What he said

Hey Maynard,

I'm in agreement with Sidecutter on this one, I use a quality gage/hose connection to fill and meter the air pressure in my tires and don't mind the "inconvenience" of bending over or squatting down. I guess I've been at it too long but I sort of like messing around with low-tech maintenance tasks like these. OTOH I wouldn't mind using one of their high pressure models to fill the duals on our motor home so maybe I'll check into those.

Thanks for posting the follow-up article, without it these would seem like just another fishing lure for your tool box.

LL75
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:27 am quote
BravoTwoFour wrote:
Did you click on the ebay link? Shipping was 10.95 to the east coast.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:29 am quote
Carolan wrote:
Whoa...for that shipping price I'll drive ride up to Kalamazoo myself and pick it up!
You're not checking the ebay link he posted
Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:39 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
BravoTwoFour wrote:
Did you click on the ebay link? Shipping was 10.95 to the east coast.
Of course I checked them. 11$ on the first and 22$ on the second for freight. That's excessive, at least for sure on the second one. But I did order one up.

Thanks, Maynard.
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:49 am quote
If you message him from the eBay site and request discounted shipping, as others have done, you may well get the second shipping cost for $4.00. BTW look at his FAQ's that's where I found the info.

Good luck,
Addicted
MP3 400 "Merlin"
Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:04 am quote
ponydrvr wrote:
If you message him from the eBay site and request discounted shipping, as others have done, you may well get the second shipping cost for $4.00. BTW look at his FAQ's that's where I found the info.

Good luck,
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:21 am quote
larrylarry75 wrote:
Sidecutter wrote:

^^^ What he said

Hey Maynard,

I'm in agreement with Sidecutter on this one, I use a quality gage/hose connection to fill and meter the air pressure in my tires and don't mind the "inconvenience" of bending over or squatting down. I guess I've been at it too long but I sort of like messing around with low-tech maintenance tasks like these. OTOH I wouldn't mind using one of their high pressure models to fill the duals on our motor home so maybe I'll check into those.

Thanks for posting the follow-up article, without it these would seem like just another fishing lure for your tool box.

LL75
Larry you could possible remember that back in the day even having a portable air pressure unit was a distant dream. Had to carry a simple straight section of hose with 2-schrader nibs to balance out your tires in the field. And if you were really lucky and your vehicle could run on one less cylinder. You would tap into that cylinder and use it as an a compressor with a one-way valve. Doing this has in the past saved my bacon on several backcountry off road adventures.
Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:14 am quote
Maynard Schweigert wrote:
And if you were really lucky and your vehicle could run on one less cylinder. You would tap into that cylinder and use it as a compressor with a one-way valve.
I remember doing that myself.
Enthusiast
MP3 400
Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:08 am quote
Hello
Unfortunately they wont ship outside US
So, anybody could help me to get Psiclops Extreme? (Order one piece more and ship it to me). I could pay by PayPal, but I am flexible - if you do not accept PayPal I could for example buy Psiclops for you and direct shipment to your location. USPS shipment from US to Poland (EU) should be around 30$ (depend on weight I think - but this is how much UFP brackets shipment cost was - so weight/cost should be similar).
Kindly requesting for help.
Hooked
Piaggio Liberty S 150 (Retired: Piaggio MP3 500)
Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 pm quote
McKee wrote:
Hello
Unfortunately they wont ship outside US
So, anybody could help me to get Psiclops Extreme? (Order one piece more and ship it to me). I could pay by PayPal, but I am flexible - if you do not accept PayPal I could for example buy Psiclops for you and direct shipment to your location. USPS shipment from US to Poland (EU) should be around 30$ (depend on weight I think - but this is how much UFP brackets shipment cost was - so weight/cost should be similar).
Kindly requesting for help.
PM me if no one has responded yet and I'll give you a hand.
Enthusiast
MP3 400
Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:18 pm quote
Thank you, 2 other members already responded. I am very grateful and really impressed on the community here as this will be my 4-th "gadget" from the forum (oh my poor pocket ). I already got UFP's, dr.Pulley, and CoolAss - all bought from forum members. Thank you all.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:27 am quote
McKee wrote:
Thank you, 2 other members already responded. I am very grateful and really impressed on the community here as this will be my 4-th "gadget" from the forum (oh my poor pocket ). I already got UFP's, dr.Pulley, and CoolAss - all bought from forum members. Thank you all.
Ponydriver bet me to the punch:
Before I started this post I had a friend betting on a single unit and won it for $21.00 US total. He has since purchased and upgraded to the complete set of 3-1/15psi, 1/60psi & 1/180psi units. So I bought his untouched single unit, and since the sales were restricted to the US by the ebay seller. I now have a spare Extreme 1/60psi unit that I prefer to offer to any overseas or Canadian MVer here on the forum. So the price will remain for $21.00 plus what ever postage is needed.
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:35 am quote
Well I have egg on my face this morning. I had ordered the lot of 8 extreme units and then asked him to work with me on the shipping. He would not and then canceled/refunded my order.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:38 am quote
ponydrvr wrote:
Well I have egg on my face this morning. I had ordered the lot of 8 extreme units and then asked him to work with me on the shipping. He would not and then canceled/refunded my order.
Your not alone welcome to the party.
Enthusiast
MP3 400
Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:54 am quote
So, neither of you will get Psiclops? (if I understand correctly).

Last edited by McKee on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:04 am quote
I don't know if the eBay seller would accept anothere order from me or not. I would be willing to replace the order for the lot of 8 if I were to get at least 6 commitments to purchase, It looks to me like the price would be about $10 US plus shipping.

Of course this is dependent on being able to place the order.
Hooked
150 Super,Fly 150
Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:04 am quote
Just ordered mine, thanks!
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:59 am quote
ponydrvr wrote:
I don't know if the eBay seller would accept anothere order from me or not. I would be willing to replace the order for the lot of 8 if I were to get at least 6 commitments to purchase, It looks to me like the price would be about $10 US plus shipping.

Of course this is dependent on being able to place the order.
We wait with bated breath.
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:07 am quote
I had to replace the locking chucks on mine early on because they just won't stay put. Replaced 'em with more conventional locking chucks from Harbor Freight. Those don't last more than a year or so before they too start slipping off, but they're cheap to replace. And of course it helps to replace your valve stems with each tire change.

Otherwise, love the Psiclops.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:23 am quote
VOID

Last edited by Maynard Schweigert on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:39 am quote
ramblerdan wrote:
I had to replace the locking chucks on mine early on because they just won't stay put. Replaced 'em with more conventional locking chucks from Harbor Freight. Those don't last more than a year or so before they too start slipping off, but they're cheap to replace. And of course it helps to replace your valve stems with each tire change.

Excellent upgrade for moving around larger vehicles. The straight locking chuck does have its disadvantages.

Side by Side.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:53 am quote
ramblerdan wrote:

Weird - I've not had ANY problems. It has a lifetime warranty - did you ask them for replacements?
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:59 am quote
Correct me if I'm wrong ramblerdan:

All about angle of pull during usage not material failure.
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:03 am quote
Maynard Schweigert wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong ramblerdan:

All about angle of pull during usage not material failure.
Well I'm pretty careful, but the pull of the hose does vary according to the valve's position on the wheel, can't do much about that. Jacking up the front end to reorient a wheel every time you check the pressureónot gonna happen!

I think the edge of the blade that grabs onto the valve stem threads wears dull through use. Why the original Psiclops chucks held so poorly right off the bat is a bit of a mystery. Interesting to know that BubbaJon's worked fine.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:01 am quote
Ordered one yesterday. Thanks for the link.
Addicted
Mp3 500
Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:24 am quote
One question: this psiclops DONT include any compressor, right?

So you need to add your own?
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:27 am quote
Correct.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:17 pm quote
canopus wrote:
One question: this psiclops DONT include any compressor, right?
So you need to add your own?
Look for a compressor called the Airman Sparrow which is highly recommended for its size.
http://www.amazon.com/AirMan-52-074-021-Tour-Performance-Compressor/dp/B002NTW7H0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365625027&sr=8-1&keywords=airman+sparrow

(apparently it's now called the "Tour"
Hooked
2009 MP3 500-2002 ET4-2007 GT200
Fri May 24, 2013 5:35 am quote
I realize this is an old post but I just picked up 8 of the 0-60 PSI models for $70. If anyone needs one for $9 plus exact shipping let me know with a PM.

I'll keep 2 for Kim's ET4 and my MP3 but 6 are available. Kim's business ships overseas every day so that's not an issue if anyone outside CONUS wants one sent to them.
Hooked
2008 Piaggio MP3 500ie
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:36 am quote
Psiclops replacement hose
I need to replace (at least) one of the hoses on my cyclops as it has started leaking at the fitting. Can anyone point me to the right way to replace/repair this? I have not been able to identify the threaded fitting that goes into the unit so I can't get a replacement hose. Thanks!
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:42 am quote
On the other end of the the threaded fitting is a barbed extension, not visible without removing the hose. You can just pull the old hose off (I had to grind off the compression fitting and cut a slit in the hose; be careful not to score the barbs). Put a small hose clamp on it and you're good to go. You might not even need to replace the hose. Just cut an inch or so off the end. Worked for me.

Last edited by ramblerdan on Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:59 pm quote
Mine started leaking at the other end where they're crimped. Plus the chuck started being difficult to attach letting out enough air to guarantee it would need air. I've been trying to find someone who makes pneumatic hose but no luck so far.
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:49 am quote
Just grind off the crimp and you'll see a normal barbed fitting in there. The chucks that come with the Psyclops are terrible; I replaced them with quick-disconnect fittings the first month I had it. I plug a normal chuck into the quick disconnect and use that until it wears out (they always do), then chuck it (ha) and replace with another one.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.3009s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0936s) ][ Debug on ]