Vespa GTS passenger footpeg extensions install and review
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports 12Next
Hooked
GTS 250
Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:39 pm quote
Enclosed is a step-by-step install and review of the passenger foot peg extensions for a Vespa GTS 205ie. The foot peg extensions have the following benefits:
1. Eliminate passenger and operator foot/ankle interactions while riding.
2. Increase passenger comfort level as the new peg locations shift the foot placement aft about 8 inches.
3. Make peg extension easier.
4. create a hard point mounting location at aft section of floor board.

The footpegs can be found here for $199 USD (2013 price):
http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details/Passenger-Footpeg-Extenders-GT-GTS-Super-GTV/10307?clear_cat=true

A left foot peg, Couple notes:
1. No instruction provided
2. I believe they sent me 2x left sides. It worked out though with a little machining I got the left to fit on the right side.
3. The machined gradual blend (as shown here) should facedown, It is to provide clearance to the plastic floor board frame.
4. It is solid 6061-T6 Aluminum plate, a bit overkill, but it works

weight of one extender = 1 lbs 6 oz

check fastener size that came with extender, Metric coarse thread 8-1.25, This will be needed for torque level on installation.

remove OEM foot pegs, 2x bolts torx head style T30, don't use allen key. Remember Righty tighty - Lefty loosey

first bolt, the easy access one (forward fastener)

the aft bolt, best to keep peg 1/2 open for access, use a 1/4 extension and 1/4 socket

underside view of the aft peg attach bolt

foot peg cavity

right passenger foot peg, the forward bolt has 1x washer while the aft bolt has 2x washers

add locktite to those threads, I use the blue paste type, use T40 torx bit (larger then the OEM bit)

install foot peg extenders into existing foot peg cavity, torque to 13 ft-lbs, standard torqueing level for a coarse thread M8 bolt

mount the OEM foot pegs to the peg extenders, use OEM bolts

torque to 13 ft-lbs

fit check, clears the rear crash bars

view from above, right side OEM peg position, left side with extender

front overhead view with peg extenders

rear overhead view with peg extenders

side view pegs stowed

undershot pegs extended

Usage observations and review:
1. Somewhat simple install
2. Rode with wifey, no foot/ankle interference
3. Operator can open with foot.
4. Don't see as an operator usage placement location
5. Kinda pricy given the simplicity of the item. I'll be 2-up riding alot, so this is worth the value to me.

Enjoy!
Keithm
Hooked
'09 GTS 250 '13 Guzzi V7 Special
Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:20 am quote
Thanks keithm, this is my next project. I have the extensions from scooter west I was waiting for the weekend to add them on the scoot. Thanks for the timely thread that gave me the heads up on the torx head, that will save me some frustration beforehand.

Great photos and step by step instructions.
Hooked
GTS 250
Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:03 pm quote
As I never miss an opportunity to create a lash point, the passenger foot peg extenders provide a footman mounting point.

will mount right about here

will tap 2x holes to accept metric course thread 4mm flush bolts

fastener bin to find correct grip length bolt

tools needed

chart to determine tap diameter size

remove fastener footpeg extenders Torx 40 size bit

level drill side in vise

drill starter hole

tap hole cutting in threads while turning the tool, righty tighty, lefty loosey, use cutting fluid

cut thread chips

fit check, repeat process 3x holes

reinstall passenger foot peg extenders, attach footman loop

passenger footpeg extended

offset view

far field view

You can never have too many "hard points"
Keithm
Addicted
GTS250
Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:14 am quote
thanks for the write up, how are they in use?
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:21 am quote
Excellent review!
Hooked
GTS 250
Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:08 pm quote
MartinB wrote:
thanks for the write up, how are they in use?
Only used them a few times, but seemed to cure the issue of passenger boot front side contacting operator heal side while at stop.
Keithm
2012 GTS 300
Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:02 pm quote
Great review and write-up KeithM, thanks!

Ordered a pair from SIP last week for my GTS 300 and they arrived here in Hong Kong within about 5 days which I was quite impressed with. My initial impressions are that they are very substantial and well made, in fact I think they would benefit from a few holes being machined through them to shed a little weight, but guess that would add to manufacturing time / cost (and they are pricey enough as it is!).

I'll post some pictures and any additional comments once I've got chance to install them, although sadly the bike is in the garage at the moment having the cause of the injector warning light coming on at speed investigated.

But fingers crossed that they will solve the problem of my pillion not being able to sit very comfortably and rubbing the backs on my angles every time I put my feet down.

Regards, James
Hooked
'09 GTS 250 '13 Guzzi V7 Special
Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:56 am quote
Just installed my foot peg extensions. The maiden voyage is this afternoon to a bbq. The extensions are very solid and machined well. Entire process took me 15 to twenty minutes.

My riding partner and I are already planning a few days in the mountains. Should be fun, comfortable and stress free. I may have to get a larger top case to accommodate the longer trips.
Hooked
Vespa 300ie, BMW C600 Sport
Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:49 am quote
Does anyone else have any feedback on these extenders? Price for them seems steep, but I have noticed the issue of my wife's feet being in the way and it is quite annoying.
Hooked
Excalibur Silver 2007 GTS 250: "Merlin"
Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:17 am quote
Edumakated wrote:
Does anyone else have any feedback on these extenders? Price for them seems steep, but I have noticed the issue of my wife's feet being in the way and it is quite annoying.
I just had a pair installed and the difference is night and day. My wife and I are both quite tall, and she found that the stock pegs location wasn't too comfortable for her, and I found that they seriously interfered with me safely and securely putting my feet down without the pegs and her feet interfering.

The new location sets the pegs back about 8 inches or so, and a tad higher, which my wife likes as she grips the scoot with her legs (as one would when riding a motorcycle) which makes her feel more "attached" to the bike. I like them because they have removed the impediment to me safely putting my feet firmly on the ground, as well as getting them back up again without fear of snarling toes/feet on the pavement.

So all in all, despite the steep price, I highly recommend these pegs if you're going to be doing and 2 up riding.
Hooked
Vespa 300ie, BMW C600 Sport
Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:35 am quote
Thanks for feedback. I went ahead and ordered a set.

I'm six feet tall with a 33 inseam my wife is a solid 5'8 so space is at a premium riding two up. Her feet are definitely in the way on the stock foot pegs. Almost dropped the bike the other day at a stop because my foot got caught on hers.
Hooked
Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:41 am quote
Edumakated wrote:

I'm six feet tall with a 33 inseam my wife is a solid 5'8 so space is at a premium riding two up. Her feet are definitely in the way on the stock foot pegs. Almost dropped the bike the other day at a stop because my foot got caught on hers.
That's exactly mine and my wife's sizes, and the new pegs work brilliantly.
Hooked
Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:43 am quote
Edumakated wrote:

Be interested to hear your feed back when you get them installed.
Ossessionato
Jeep 4dr. Rubicon, Hard Rock
Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:38 am quote
Extensions
Have them on our GTS. My wife is slightly under 5' 4" and small (makes up for me ). We have been on a 3,200 mile trip with them to AV. Way more comfortable for her. Pegs were extremely easy to install. You'll lose access to the front screw that needs to be removed to take off the lower plastic cowl, but removing the foot pegs in no problem to get the screw out.
GTS300, px 125. neco abruzzi
Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:11 am quote
are these for real the look awfull sorry if thats the best thee can come up with
Ossessionato
Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:31 am quote
lynxman wrote:
are these for real the look awfull sorry if thats the best thee can come up with
Sometimes looks and real function are miles apart.
Hooked
2010 GTS 300ie
Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:38 am quote
Price as of 8-23-13 is now $225. Up $25 in just couple months at least on Scooterwest site.
Hooked
GTS 250
Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:03 pm quote
lynxman wrote:
Well I can attest to their functionality. Wifey loves the position.
Keithm
GTS300, px 125. neco abruzzi
Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:05 pm quote
Turkman wrote:
lynxman wrote:
Sometimes looks and real function are miles apart.
i dont think these offer either
1. Eliminate passenger and operator foot/ankle interactions while riding.
never experianced t hat in 6 rs of riding gts
2. Increase passenger comfort level as the new peg locations shift the foot placement aft about 8 inches.
moving the foot back into the side cowl isnt comfie it needs to go up as well were did the figure 8inches come from looks more like 3 /4 max
3. Make peg extension easier.
its not exactly hard now is it
4. create a hard point mounting location at aft section of floor board.
i wouldnt sa its safe to have s tuff bi ur fee t unless on a rack
Molto Verboso
Primavera ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300
Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:59 am quote
Just stumbled across this thread and wanted to add, that the original design of these foot peg extensions, which is less sophisticated than the one that SIP sells, is available for anyone who wants to make their own.

http://modernvespa.com/forum/post1629815?highlight=#1629815
Hooked
GTS300
Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:33 pm quote
i'm glad to read that many others are having a problem with the standard foot pegs on the gts 300. My wife only travels very occasionally but i hate it - keep catching my ankles on them. The price is way too high for the odd ride now and again. Its funny that over the years with all the different bikes and scooters i've had, this is the first one that has given any problem - surely its a poor designed feature of the scooter !!! Think again Vespa and make some affordable modifications.
Hooked
GTS250ie
Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:25 pm quote
Has anyone been able to find these for a less than ridiculous price? From SIP these would cost me over $230 shipped to Australia. I only just paid more for a top-box to be sent from the UK!

I know it would be really useful and would add to the comfort, but am still a Yorkshireman at heart!

Cheers
Ossessionato
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:48 pm quote
sharpsa wrote:
Has anyone been able to find these for a less than ridiculous price? From SIP these would cost me over $230 shipped to Australia. I only just paid more for a top-box to be sent from the UK!

I know it would be really useful and would add to the comfort, but am still a Yorkshireman at heart!

Cheers
I'd never make them for any price, way too much work! If they work like they did for us they are a well worth the price.......
Hooked
GTS250ie
Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:35 pm quote
Turkman wrote:
sharpsa wrote:

Cheers
I'd never make them for any price, way too much work! If they work like they did for us they are a well worth the price.......
Thanks. I think you are indeed right. I think we'll wait for the spring to come around and get some in time for lots of weekend rides with my partner.
Ossessionato
Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:12 pm quote
sharpsa wrote:
Turkman wrote:
sharpsa wrote:

Cheers
Thanks. I think you are indeed right. I think we'll wait for the spring to come around and get some in time for lots of weekend rides with my partner.
For us the best purchase for a passenger, agreed that they are pricey but well worth it!
Hooked
GTS 250 a.b.s.
Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:27 pm quote
I made them my self with the help of a friend of mine who is a miller and has access to a 5 axle milling machine + the material.

We used the drawing in the link in this topic.
Took us about an hour to make a cnc program for it, then get the tools, make a set up and let the machine do the milling.
Of course it took some extensive tweaking of the self made cnc program to get it to work.
The result looked great, but din't fit but I found that out when I arrived back home.
It to some real heavy duty sawing to make them fit. (no milling machine here)

But the result is super, they look like the ones shown in this topic but only cost me a bottle of wine. and half a Saturday @ my friends workshop.
Hooked
GTS300
Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:03 am quote
great article with good picture detail. which would be the best ones - from SIP or ScooterWest ?
Hooked
GTS300
Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:56 am quote
has no-one purchased any of these then ?
Enthusiast
VESPA GTS 300
Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:46 pm quote
Very good review
Thank you very much.

The price went up $224.99

but i saw the same item on S.I.P for $167.63

I believe +shipping, it is still lower then Scooterwest.....
Hooked
GTS300
Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:25 am quote
just ordered from SIP - total cost inc delivery 176

will write follow up when arrived and fitted.
Enthusiast
VESPA GTS 300
Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:04 pm quote
I always want to get one....

I am 5"7
My girl friend is 5"5

she can barely put her feet on the footpeg and when her feet is on the footpeg... I have trouble to put my feel on the floor when it comes to a stop LOL

put the thing is.... she doesn't ride with me all the time.... most likely once a month.....
Hooked
GTS250ie
Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:46 pm quote
Mine arrived in the post a couple of days ago from SIP. Took just under a week from Germany to Adelaide, Australia. Great service. Will install when I get a mo. Sun is shining so I should get my skates on!
Hooked
GTS300
Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:53 am quote
Fitted mine a few weeks ago. very simple and straightforward operation. they don't look as neat as the original fold away pegs, but they function how they ought to. well worth the money to be able to have bruised free ankles now.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:08 pm quote
I've got them on one of my Vespa GT200s. And they work great. But now that she's got her own GTS, I'm back to riding solo. We sell them for about $180.
Hooked
GT200l
Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:24 pm quote
Will these extenders work on my GT200l with cowl crash guards?
Vespa GT200L & PX200 Disc
Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:57 am quote
This was the first mod I made to my GT200

First ride out my wife was crying in pain and I had to find a solution.................now she is always suggesting we go out for a spin.

Worth every penny!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PILLION-FOOT-REST-FOOTPEG-ADAPTOR-VESPA-GT-GTS-GTV-/281784286124?

BARGAIN
Ossessionato
Vintage Red 2007 GTS, Black Vespa LX150, 2007 Goodwood Green Triumph Bonneville!
Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:37 am quote
I just recently put them on my GTS and they are amazing! No more barked shins. I first saw them at the San Diego Amerivespa at Scooterwest, and was kicking myself for not getting them since they were offering a big discount during the show. Saw them again on the VCLG Three Peaks ride, so I decided to take the plunge. I found them at SIP scooter shop for about $150. I ordered them the same time I ordered some other parts from the East coast, and the footpeg extensions arrived in half the time from Germany, so big props to SIP! My only regret is I later found out they also come in black anodized aluminum - that would have looked a lot better!

Oh, and I have the Vespa crash guards and the extensions fit with no problem.

-Dan
Vespa GT200L & PX200 Disc
Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:28 am quote
foot peg extenders
I now have a pair of these for sale as I moving on my GT200

Hardly used.

email me if interested richards4911@yahoo.co.uk

Also have a clear fly screen, again, almost new

Rich
Hooked
GTS300
Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:47 am quote
My SIP peg extenders got delivered today

Only took 2 days to arrive 😆

I was a bit daunted by the 100 plus price tag but having got them fitted i can honestly say that they are worth every penny.

Very good quality

Vespa GTS
Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:09 am quote
foot peg extensions for a Vespa GTS
hi Friends
I'm interested about passenger foot peg extensions for a Vespa GTS but here in Turkey I have no chance to have these, if you please send me an easy template drawing maybe I can produce one for my self, ( shipping is very expensive for Turkey) , thank you...
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports 12Next
[ Time: 0.5474s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0813s) ][ Debug on ]