Best Cover for my MP3 250
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 398
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:12 pm quote
I live in the SF Bay Area and I am looking for a quality waterproof (not water resistant) cover for my 250 that will protect the paint from sun and allow me to secure it from possible theft. I read reviews about the Piaggio cover and will order one if nobody can suggest anything better. Eric
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 1323
Location: Louisville, KY
Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:49 pm quote
Unless you are dead set on spending $100 for a cover you can buy one at Walmart or most motorcycle shops for ~$35. They are no less secure and no less Waterproof than is the Piaggio cover. I always use KIWI Heavy Duty Water Repellent on all the seams before any rains are expected if I'm using the cover.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21611
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:22 am quote
a breathable cover is best as to not trap moisture inside.

No real reason to have a "WATERPROOF" cover. a sun cover yes, to protect from fading and keeping dust and bird poop off.

Never install a cover when the bike is hot. Allow to completely cool first.
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 398
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:48 am quote
Thanks for the advice guys. I've scratched off the OEM Piaggio cover because a few of reviews claim it doesn't work well with bird poop. I think I'll visit Cycle Gear and look at their breathable covers.

I forgot to mention tree sap. I commute daily to the redwoods and would like to cover the scooter when I'm there for a few hours.

Eric
Molto Verboso
MP3 500 (2) MotoGuzzi California 1400
Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Posts: 1666
Location: SF Bay/Roseville CA
Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:12 am quote
Eric,

I bought the BiltŪ Motorcycle cover from CycleGear last year. I've used it a few times, mainly in inclement weather. It does alright especially considering I spent only about $40 on it.

I've found limited use for the cover. I either have the scoot garaged or under a porch and tree,(non-sappy) or at work, when it is parked out in the open. The cover is bulky, and so I don't want to keep it with the scoot when I ride. It would take up the entire topbox or pet carrier area by itself. Just stuff to think about.

Good luck with your solution.

Steve H/B
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 398
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:33 am quote
HoneyBadger wrote:
Eric,

I bought the BiltŪ Motorcycle cover from CycleGear last year. I've used it a few times, mainly in inclement weather. It does alright especially considering I spent only about $40 on it.

I've found limited use for the cover. I either have the scoot garaged or under a porch and tree,(non-sappy) or at work, when it is parked out in the open. The cover is bulky, and so I don't want to keep it with the scoot when I ride. It would take up the entire topbox or pet carrier area by itself. Just stuff to think about.

Good luck with your solution.

Steve H/B
Thank you Steve. I will certainly keep this in mind. I have a 48L top case, but I really don't want to use it for anything but my son's gear when I drop him off at school.
Addicted
2007 MP3 250(retired) C650GT
Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 708
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:12 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
Never install a cover when the bike is hot. Allow to completely cool first.
Second that. A hot muffler will melt a cover pretty quick. Covers with exhaust shields work, but getting them installed without hitting the muffler with the regular fabric is tedious.
Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio MP3 250 (sold) and 2009 MP3 400
Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 1842
Location: Floyds Knobs IN
Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:32 am quote
ponydrvr wrote:
Unless you are dead set on spending $100 for a cover you can buy one at Walmart or most motorcycle shops for ~$35. They are no less secure and no less Waterproof than is the Piaggio cover. I always use KIWI Heavy Duty Water Repellent on all the seams before any rains are expected if I'm using the cover.
This is what I use. The walmart $35 cover.
it does allow some moisture through, but it is great at repelling bird droppings.
Mine is on about 8 months out of the year when the scoot is kept outside during riding season.
Mine lasted for 2 riding seasons before i had to replace it.
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 398
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:33 am quote
Is there such thing as a half cover that will cover the top of the scooter down to the seat?
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 21545
Location: Palatka, Florida
Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 am quote
gsheff wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
Never install a cover when the bike is hot. Allow to completely cool first.
Second that. A hot muffler will melt a cover pretty quick. Covers with exhaust shields work, but getting them installed without hitting the muffler with the regular fabric is tedious.
But the smell is so worth it.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 21545
Location: Palatka, Florida
Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:36 am quote
ericreynolds wrote:
Is there such thing as a half cover that will cover the top of the scooter down to the seat?
Yeah. Never tried one though. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/971/36883/ITEM/Show-Chrome-Ultragard-Classic-Half-Cover.aspx?SiteID=Google_PLA971&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&kw

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8537
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:43 am quote
Watch out for 100% water proof covers, they may not let rain in, but they won't let moister out either
Member
2008 MP3 250
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 12
Location: FL
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:28 am quote
I know this is a very old thread but I thought I'd add to it since it's the first one to come up when I search this topic.

I originally purchased an "x autohaux" medium half cover on Amazon that did not fit and returned it for a Nelson Rigg Touring Half cover which is of much better quality. Since there aren't foot pegs, I tied the front elastic straps to the parking brake lever and bungied the "passenger" straps together. I was worried about wind blowing off the back half so I also bungied that down. Here's some pics for anyone interested.

IMG_20200617_181751096_HDR.jpg
Nelson Rigg Touring Half Cover on mp3 250

Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1660s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0283s) ][ Debug on ]