F**K American Pickers
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
Addicted
Vespa 125 t.s.
Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:38 am quote
I take it a Vespa made an appearance on AP. Now I have to go look for it.

Personally I don't get why people like that show. At least Pawn Stars is a little educational.
Hooked
Mid 90's PX177E (Polini) Arcobelano
Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:59 am quote
Dugan wrote:
I take it a Vespa made an appearance on AP. Now I have to go look for it.

Personally I don't get why people like that show. At least Pawn Stars is a little educational.
I stopt watching AP about 2 years ago, I don't really remember any Vespas on there but they did 'find' a bangin' Piaggio Ape rickshaw scooter on there that made me jizz in my pants. I've been wanting a rickshaw scoot ever since. Every once in a while a 3 wheeled Bajaj scooter-truck will pop up on CL but never a rickshaw
Primasarah
1979 P200E, 1977 Rally 200, 1974 Primavera
Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:58 am quote
There was a couple episodes that had Lambrettas. One had an Li, and the other had a SX200.
Ossessionato
1964 GS 160 MK II, 1967 Vespa GT, 1968 SS180, 1964 Vespa GL, 1964 Vespa VBB, 2006 Buddy 125, 2013 BMW C650GT
Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:03 pm quote
To me it is just the way business has been done for a long time.

I collect antique american clocks. I can't tell you how many times I have someone tell me that a clock has been in their family for 175 years. One look at a photo and I know it is from the 1920s.

Antique shops do this all the time (and to me...unlike little old ladies... they are fair game). I se a $100 clock marked $350 or $700.

I have also run into the oposite in antique stores...$900 clock marked to $75 and on the 50% off shelf...I snagged that one.

It is like anything else. On this forum we have a lot of educated people regarding scooters and for the most part we are picky little bitches!

We ARE the people that know the difference between an Allstate and an SS180.

It eventually works out. Those overpriced items sit forever. People without knowledge are afraid to spend the money on them. People in the know see a fair deal when it comes along.

If a scooter (or clock) is something I want...but way overpriced...I just pass on it.
Enthusiast
'74 rally 200; '62 LI150
Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:15 pm quote
I will share my reason for liking the show American Pickers. The main thing is it makes me happy to see people to hoard more shit than my wife. I swear to god one of these days I am going to start a fire in the back yard. What is it with women and their clothes?

On the American Pickers show it makes me laugh when they (the hoarders) are hemming and hawing over whether to sell one piece of their rusty shit from the huge pile, like it is some sort of internal battle with a demon. And the dudes are like, "I just love meeting all the cool people when we are on the road" REally? Like the crazy toothless guy with 4 barns full of rusty shit, that he is keeping for,,, what reason?

Eventually, people die, and all their shit goes to some junkyard. So, maybe estate sales and junkyards are the next barns to search.

People are way too fucked up about their shit. (no that is a brilliant statement) I am confident that if you love a particular vespa or lambretta you can find it eventually, and as pointed out so accurately it takes way more money to fix these up properly than they are really ever sold for.

A new vespa is like $7,000 --- so, hell, why shouldn't a fixed-up vintage bike be worth twice that.

our prices are still low to aquire these treasures, even with the American Picker douchers.
Hooked
1974 VBC
Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:23 pm quote
I'm a retired horder, I used to have about 12 motorcycles at one time in my garage. I have a rule I started after I got married, if I don't touch it in one year, throw/give it away.

After a few years the process just took care of itself.
Primasarah
1979 P200E, 1977 Rally 200, 1974 Primavera
Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:40 pm quote
I like the show, but I also loathe it as it tends to glamorize people with hoarding issues. Half the people on that show have serious mental issues..

I enjoy it for the same reason that I enjoy Pawn Stars (not that I watch either on a regular basis), as they at least go into the history of the items that they buy and sell.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:06 pm quote
CraigTebeau wrote:
On the American Pickers show it makes me laugh when they (the hoarders) are hemming and hawing over whether to sell one piece of their rusty shit from the huge pile, like it is some sort of internal battle with a demon.
I was struck by this as well. The AP guys are there to buy two or three items from some of the hoarders, out of a virtual sea of rusty old shit. And the hoarders are clinging to their stuff, oblivious to the fact that their kids are going to have it all hauled off as scrap when they kick the bucket.
Addicted
1961 vbb and 1981 p125x
Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:31 pm quote
I thought I was the only one viewing these people as hoaders. Has anyone else wondered how AP keep there shop filled with only buying one item at a time? I keep thinking you need inventory instead of paying top dollar for one piece buy the whole barn full. And that bring us to another point they buy a lot of cars and motorcycles all of which have titles. In most states you can not buy a titled vehical with intent to sell without a dealers lic. There's a loop hole where you can sell like 6 car a year without a dealership but you can not buy the cars with intent to sell. I guess it's like Beavis and Butthead say, "These are really bad actors" "it's reality tv these aren't actors" "then they're just really bad people."
Hooked
'79 P200E
Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:36 pm quote
AP is one of the very few shows I watch and yeah, I believe some of the stuff is staged but its still a fun little show and makes me wish I had the means to go on the road and find some old barns and what not.

Since finding the show I've noticed that I tend to scope out people's old sheds and barns while I'm driving through the countryside during work, lol, wondering and wishing I could just see what's on the other side.

Does make me feel a little sorry for the people though when they get duped and the Pickers know they can sell for double or more. Although kind of funny when they know they've been had.

On an episode I watched today Mike asked about some old lamp and the guy said something like ...err ill take 150 for it... then he immediately shook the guys hand without even bartering with the guy. The guy knew he should have asked for more because Mike "supposedly" made double on that deal.

That's another thing, they always 'think' they can get X amount, guess you gotta know the right people to sell to or have good connections.
Lurker
'52, '54, '55, '59, '62 Allstate. VespaGS VS1, VS5. SS180. Rally 180, 200. PX, Primavera,
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:29 am quote
Change SUCKS.
Before the internet
I rarely paid over 100 for a scooter.
A complete motor rebuild from Akron Moped or Vespa of Chicago (b4 scooterworks) was $200.

Yeah, American Pickers ruined "it" for many you as the internet ruined "it" for a few of us.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
[ Time: 0.2262s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0398s) ][ Debug on ]