The point of my other thread here - Fork Swap for 150 Super - was to get ready for a disc brake front end on my '75 VBC. I finally got it done this weekend after some months of tortuous procrastination.
My main aim with this was to build something that could be assumed by the general public to be a stock fitting... well at least not to look too much out of place. And keep costs down while doing so, which is why I chose the Scoot R S kit. A friend had put one on his and it worked beautifully, so that's the direction I went.
The thing I didn't like about them was the master cylinder attachment which went against the original aim of looking stock-ish, so I collected pictures and info wherever I saw a good idea. Initially I was going to have my headset welded with an aluminum mounting plate and I got a quote of $80-100 to do it, but when it came time I didn't have the money spare. So I ended up going via the GSF (http://www.germanscooterforum.de/topic/14540-bremspumpenhalter-für-grimeca-griff) route and I'm very happy with the result.
I started by buying a Grimeca master cylinder and working out how much material needed to be removed from the headset. I cut off what I thought was probably the right amount, leaving the lever bolt hole. Unfortunately the bottom section had a crack that I hadn't seen, so when that was cut it came away. But I think that actually worked to my benefit, enabling me to use the long nut arrangement you see here.
I got a bit of scrap 3mm steel and cut it roughly to shape.
Shaped up a little and bent.
Painted and fitted the hose. It's very stiff and hard to get into tight spots... next time I'll use the thinner SIP hose kit, which has ends that come off, allowing you to thread it through smaller holes.
I used an M8 button head cap screw for the outer fixing and painted the head... you hardly see it now. At first I was a little worried about the small bit of the casting supporting the load, but the whole thing is quite strong and is not carrying much load if any in the up-and-down direction where it's weakest.
All together. Fairly neat I think.
The complete setup.
Getting everything in the headset working properly and fitting wher it would't all bind together was the biggest PITA but it works really well now.
Last edited by Ginch on Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total