Vinyl wrapping body panels
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
400 mp3
Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:44 am quote
I have been thinking about the option of vinyl wrapping the 400. I'm not sure if anyone on here has done it but wanted to know what anyone had to say about it...how much vinyl it would take to get it done..or if anyone has had this done already..
Hooked
Piaggio MP3-500 (Desert Camo), MP3-400 (Pinky), MP3-250 (Blue)
Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:56 am quote
Several threads pop up if you search for "vinyl wrap" using the search function including my thread on the topic: Desert Camouflage Vinyl Wrapped MP3-500

I did a vinyl wrap back in the early part of this year. It has many pluses and a few minuses but is cheaper than custom paint and can get you a design almost impossible to do with paint. My advice is to order one sheet more than you think you need and get help from a friend during the installation.
400 mp3
Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:54 pm quote
I've read your post...its great...its also expensive...figured i could do this for less than 75 bucks...I was curious about what to do when going around the reflectors and around mp3 badging...I have been thinking about removing the badges...wrapping the surface of the panel...then laying a new decal badge on top.....I hear the reflectors are 1 time use only so I won't be able to remove them...I also don't understand how the stuff sticks...because I've watched you tube videos..is see there is a backing you peel off...then you spray some sort of liquid then squeegee the whole thing and set it......I don't know what the heater does...dry and set faster....also

How many seams do you have on your panels....or is it just individual prices per panel...
Hooked
MP3 400 Lt
Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:12 pm quote
Re: Vinyl wrapping body panels
Another solution may be the Plasti Dip .....

look here :
Hooked
Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:38 pm quote
Re: Vinyl wrapping body panels
frcx94 wrote:
Another solution may be the Plasti Dip .....
Plasti Dip seems to be a good option if you want solid colors on your MP3. I understand that it is a relatively cheap option. However, if you want a pattern you probably have to go with a custom paint job (very expensive) or a vinyl wrap (relatively cheap just requiring your labor). They is no way I could have painted the digital desert camouflage pattern on my bike that I got from my vinyl wrap and kept it to under $1000 and gotten the same level of detail.

Last edited by cummingsjc on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hooked
Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:50 pm quote
jorgecornet wrote:
I've read your post...its great...its also expensive...figured i could do this for less than 75 bucks...I was curious about what to do when going around the reflectors and around mp3 badging...I have been thinking about removing the badges...wrapping the surface of the panel...then laying a new decal badge on top.....I hear the reflectors are 1 time use only so I won't be able to remove them...I also don't understand how the stuff sticks...because I've watched you tube videos..is see there is a backing you peel off...then you spray some sort of liquid then squeegee the whole thing and set it......I don't know what the heater does...dry and set faster....also

How many seams do you have on your panels....or is it just individual prices per panel...
The vinyl wrap sheets were about $60 per each 2" x 4" sheet. They sucked to apply until I got help from my wife and started using a hair dryer. The sheets are self adhering, but the hair dryer helps to soften the vinyl so it molds down into the creases of the boys panels better than when it is cold or at room temperature. The sheets peel up and re-adhere very easily in case you mess up. The company from whom I bought my vinyl wrap sells wipes with extra sticky stuff on it to ensure better adherence in deeper creases but it probably wouldn't be necessary to get any/many on a 400. You will have to take all the panels off that you want to cover. You will have to remove the reflectors and find a way to reattach them (I used putty since I couldn't find the same size clip). I didn't get new badges for my bike since I wasn't that concerned about the "MP3" signage. However, I guess you could get new ones from your local dealer.
400 mp3
Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:55 pm quote
I don't know why I didn't think of this before!!!!!!

This is even better than vinyl because you can re do the worn parts easily... Thank you guys..I since when I bought the bike the "passenger side" had rash on it...I can just lightly sand over the rash ...and dip it anthracite grey...which is almost matching color?.now to figure out how much to buy
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
400 mp3
Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:04 pm quote
That looks like way too mich work
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Royale Enamel medium banner   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2107s ][ Queries: 30 (0.1527s) ][ Debug on ]