OP
UTC

Lurker
vespa 125 et3

Lurker
vespa 125 et3
UTC quote
hello at all guy... i write from italy, from siena!
in january-fabruary i will come in the united states with my vespa 125 primavera et3, and i will drive from miami to los angeles.
i have a map of the roads that i can take, but it's not definitely, i wait some suggestion about the wheater that i can find, and similar topic.
i have contact the vespaclub america, but they haven't reply to me. this is the trip of my life, i have a blog of my past trip, is this: http://samuet3.wordpress.com/

this is my map.
what roads can i take to arrive in the west? my point of interesting are the monument valley, las vegas, and the route 66 of course.
i don't want to take the highways, but i want to know the maximum information possible about your road, must pay for the highways? this is just my first message,
tell me, for you what are the best roads for the west?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I've moved this to General Discussion so it will get the most attention. Once you've started the trip, that's the time to write a Ride Report.

And welcome to MV.

There are very few tolls on roads in the US - the only ones I've met have been over bridges heading into San Francisco - there may well be others, but it's not something to budget for.

You'll have a great time.
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Shalom and welcome from Israel.

I would try to stay as far south as possible if you are planning a mid-winter trip. As to the exact route, I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions from MVers who live along potential routes.

Good luck, and let us know what kind of stuff you are planning on packing for the trip.
@lightracer avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
300 GTV i.e.

Enthusiast
@lightracer avatar
300 GTV i.e.
UTC quote
Route West
I've been through much of your route by vehicle and it should be a great trip. Your biggest challenge however in January and Febuary will be snow and ice. Much of you planned route through AZ and NM is in the mountains at significant elevations (3,000' +). You may experience dry stretches, but these areas can be hit with significant snowfall. On the up side, they typically only last 24-48 hoours, so you may have to "hole up" for a couple of days. Pay attention to the forecast as you go. Looking forward to your posts.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Aloha and welcome to the forum from Hawaii. Wow what an awesome trip.Jealous. I agree with TREPP start in Miami and then go across. Even still your going to hit some bad snow out west. Be prepared because big storms come in very rapidly. I have a friend whose done the same thing you are going to and i'll make sure he sees this post so he can advise you. He did it on a MC and is a member on here. I wish i lived along your route because you'd be more than welcome to crash at my place. I'm sure others will chime in with offers also. Good luck 8)
@yayadave avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250

Ossessionato
@yayadave avatar
MP3 500 - GTV250
UTC quote
As Light Racer says. You will have warm weather in Miami and cold in the western mountains and back to pleasant weather in San Diego. If you can make your map "public" so that the Modern Vespa people can see it, they can help you better about your route. Plan to have a laptop or notebook computer with you and an internet connection. That is the way to make day to day decisions about you route and current weather. There will be a lot more to see and experience than you can imagine on that ride! Be open to the new things and flexible. It will be a great adventure.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text to MV from the Sunny Aegean!

Looks like a grand adventure! Are you a member of the Vespa Club Siena? Several of us rode with them in 2010.
@pdc10814 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GTS 250ie, Buddy 125

Hooked
@pdc10814 avatar
2006 GTS 250ie, Buddy 125
UTC quote
What a beautiful trip and truly the experience of a life time. This is the kind of trip I would love to do when we are empty nesters. It looks like you are planning on taking mostly secondary roads. In most States your scooter may not be big enough for most major highways/freeways. Each State may have a different size requirement. You may want to check with each different State's, Department of Motor Vehicle departments, regarding the legal size of a scooter/motorcycle for highway use. Each State should have that information available on their website. In California, your scooter would be too small for freeway use.

I hope you have a great trip and if I can help in any way let me know. If you make it up to the Central Coast of California, we could share some great wine.

Cheers
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
Re: Route West
LightRacer wrote:
I've been through much of your route by vehicle and it should be a great trip. Your biggest challenge however in January and Febuary will be snow and ice. Much of you planned route through AZ and NM is in the mountains at significant elevations (3,000' +). You may experience dry stretches, but these areas can be hit with significant snowfall. On the up side, they typically only last 24-48 hoours, so you may have to "hole up" for a couple of days. Pay attention to the forecast as you go. Looking forward to your posts.
+1 ^^^

Your route through western New Mexico and Arizona is not a good choice for January/February. At best, it will be bitter cold at those elevations. At worst, you could encounter significant snowfall. I would recommend staying farther south.

You'll need to avoid the Interstate Highway system on a 125cc scooter. Traffic moves at a very high rate of speed and will not accomodate slower moving vehicles safely. You can identify a interstate highway by the numbering convenstion. If the highway number begins with "I-" it is an interstate highway (ex: I-10, I-40, I-75, etc.).

-Craig
@willie_b avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221

Ossessionato
@willie_b avatar
UTC quote
My hat's off to you my friend. I look forward to reading your blog and hopefully you can meet up with some of the forum members along the way. Unfortunately your route is a bit south of my locale. Good luck my friend, keep us posted on your arrival and adventure.
@tpring avatar
UTC

Hooked
Fly 150, Stella

Hooked
@tpring avatar
Fly 150, Stella
UTC quote
Welcome
It hasn't been mentioned yet [AFAIK] but, you might get some good information from the Cannonball threads [esp 2012] -- The Cannonball is the [even-year] race across North America.

Try a search for 'Cannonball in title'.

Good luck.
@leaking_lewis avatar
UTC

Hooked
'19 BMW C400X; '07 Vespa 250 IE;'13 BMW F700GS; 87 Elite 80

Hooked
@leaking_lewis avatar
UTC quote
Plan for the worst
From your pictures it looks like you have gear for cold weather/rain - you'll need it. In addition you should:
1) use google maps for bicycle mode to stay off freeways
2) Plan on doing most maintenance/repairs yourself
3) Realize there are great distances between towns in the West - not like Europe.
4) In the South some people may think your a terrorist (I'm not kidding).

Sounds like a great adventure, and please make use of the advice comments from Vespa riders in the US.
@ed_from_florida avatar
UTC

LX150ie

@ed_from_florida avatar
LX150ie
UTC quote
Buon Giorno e ciao da Florida: Florida will be beautiful in January and February but the weather will get much cooler and variable as soon as you get to the panhandle.....it would be better if you were starting in March or April but I am sure that you will have a wonderful adventure. I will also suggest secondary roads only.....stay away from the Interstate and Freeways, speeds are high (100 to 130+ kph) and lots of large truck traffic. I've done a lot of motorcycle trips and the secondary roads are the most interesting anyway. I would be happy to help with route suggestions in Florida. When you get to the Florida panhandle, Appalachicola is a nice small town to visit.....we travel up there often and stay at the Gibson Inn.
Distances between gas stations in the western US may be long.....possibly someone from that area can offer advise on fuel issues, if any.
Buon viaggio,
Ed (P.S. my parents were born in Abruzzi)
@flanman_hawaii avatar
UTC

Addicted
Daring Plum GT 200, Dragon Red LX 150, Kawi Green KLR 650, Hi-Viz Yeller V-Strom 650, Bonneville Black

Addicted
@flanman_hawaii avatar
Daring Plum GT 200, Dragon Red LX 150, Kawi Green KLR 650, Hi-Viz Yeller V-Strom 650, Bonneville Black
UTC quote
If you could postpone your ride a few months, it would be much easier. I rode from San Diego, California to Key West, Florida last April along a more southern route. Turning my route around, it would be through Pensacola, Mobile, Biloxi, New Orleans, Galveston, Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Big Bend, El Paso, Tucson, Gila Bend, Yuma, El Centro and San Diego. See http://high-speed-wobble.blogspot.com .

I rode a Suzuki V-Strom 650 and used sections of I-8 and I-10 out west. In many cases, there might not be alternatives to Interstate Highways, but you might be able to find a route along that southern route. Unfortunately for you, the daytime speed limit on two-lane roads in west Texas is 70 miles per hour. After dark, it's 65. Texas drivers mostly cruise at 80. On a Primavera, it's not likely you'll be able to maintain more than 50 miles per hour.

Another consideration is wind. On another ride going east to west, I was stuck in Carlsbad, New Mexico for two days because a crosswind was blowing a steady 60 miles per hour across US-285 and I couldn't keep the KLR650 I was riding in the north-bound lane.

The big advantage of staying south is that it avoids the major mountains. I dumped my bike at 11,000 plus feet going over the Monarch Pass in Colorado in early May. The snow started at about 10,000 feet on an otherwise mild, spring day. In January and February many mountain passes are closed. Tioga Pass near Yosemite doesn't open until June, for example.

Hate to mention it, but US-66 doesn't exist officially anymore. There are still some "Historic Route 66" sections -- notably through the Mojave Desert -- that parallel I-40, but the Interstate absorbed most of the old road.

Aloha and buon viaggio. Just remember: "Adventure is discomfort recollected in tranquility."
@ed_from_florida avatar
UTC

LX150ie

@ed_from_florida avatar
LX150ie
UTC quote
I would not worry about being treated badly in the South.....and would expect people to be helpful, kind and considerate mostly everywhere (I'm sure that you will be able to recognize if you are in an area where you should be more careful) Although originally from the North, I have lived in Florida for 23 years and motorcycled the Southeast....my biggest surprise was at how kind and considerate and interested in your adventure that the people were.....although most likely quiet at first, people will want to talk to you and help if they can.
Have a great trip,
Ed
@doorbuster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250

Molto Verboso
@doorbuster avatar
2007 Piaggio BV 250
UTC quote
Ed from Florida wrote:
I would not worry about being treated badly in the South.....and would expect people to be helpful, kind and considerate mostly everywhere (I'm sure that you will be able to recognize if you are in an area where you should be more careful) Although originally from the North, I have lived in Florida for 23 years and motorcycled the Southeast....my biggest surprise was at how kind and considerate and interested in your adventure that the people were.....although most likely quiet at first, people will want to talk to you and help if they can.
Have a great trip,
Ed
+1
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Re: Plan for the worst
Leaking Lewis wrote:
Highly unlikely.
@doorbuster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250

Molto Verboso
@doorbuster avatar
2007 Piaggio BV 250
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Leaking Lewis wrote:
Highly unlikely.
I'm wondering where that came from. An explanation would be nice.
@flanman_hawaii avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@flanman_hawaii avatar
UTC quote
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

U.S. Route 66 no longer connects Chicago with Los Angeles. It was dropped From the U.S. highway system in 1985 after Interstate highways bypassed it, including this section near Amboy, Calif.
@flanman_hawaii avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@flanman_hawaii avatar
UTC quote
Re: Plan for the worst
Leaking Lewis wrote:
Not kidding?

Really? Nerd emoticon

I've found people to be universally helpful and friendly throughout the South, West, East and North -- even the guy who stopped by my motel room in Winston-Salem just to make sure I didn't need some weed, coke or girls. Wha? emoticon

At the Alabama state line visitor center, nice ladies give out free lemonade and popcorn.

When stuff breaks -- which it will -- people will go out of their way to get you back on the road. Folks are either amazed about your ride or wish they were doing it themselves.

Expect to be stopped by the Border Patrol in checkpoints in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. You'll want to have your passport handy, but they might just wave you through.
@leaking_lewis avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@leaking_lewis avatar
UTC quote
Yes, I'm Paranoid
DoorBuster wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Leaking Lewis wrote:
Highly unlikely.
I realize despite my paranoia, that the vast majority of people in the South are wonderful, upright, generous folks. I have been in parts of the South that were creepy. Maybe a bit of an exaggeration but I have felt more unwelcome in rural South Carolina and Georgia then anywhere in Europe. Could be just me though. See link. Not everybody is nice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/us/11brfs-PRIESTMISTAK_BRF.html?_r=0

I'm just saying to be cautious and observant.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
DoorBuster wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Leaking Lewis wrote:
Highly unlikely.
Me too, folks in the south tend to be far more friendly than Californiana. I've lots of family in various parts of the south even though I gre up in California. I now live in Texas and have travelled by scoot from Georgia to various parts from San Diego to Monterey more than once so feel fairly well qualified to speak from experience that He statement is bogus.

I have also travelled from Arkansas to California with from the Middle East. The only issue encountered was at a random border checkpoint along I-10 in New Mexico. That took a couple hours to resolve because part if one guy's student visa was missing from his passport so we had to wait for confirmation from Washington that he hadn't overstayed his visa. Proper documentation for you and your scooter including insurance would make getting caught in any such random checkpoint quick and painless Slight bigger concern might be Arizona where there can be state checks plus the tend to use a lot of speed camera in that state so be careful about posted speed limits in that state.

From what I recall choices for crossing the Florida panhandle without using the interstate are few and either along the coast with lots of small towns or require a detour north into Alabama but I'll leave that to folks who know that part of the country better than I do. Lots of scenic secondary roads once you get east of Mmobile, Alabama I'd you like riding through forests. From New Orleans you have a few choices either closer to the coasts with some causeways through bayou areas or you can head further north though the Piney Woods. Either should be pleasant in Jan-Feb. You may want to discuss the 2012 route through Abilene, Tx with some of the folks that rode it.

Like others suggested I'd stay further south than the 2012 cannonball route crossing northern New Mexico and Arizona. I took that route back from California to Houston in late March and encounter snow on the sides of the road around Prescott, AZ There is even snow in north Texas around Amarillo where Route 66 goes through it. You would definitely find snow on Route 66 in New Mexico if you go through in late Jan since it goes through Santa Fe. Lovely place to visit and would remind you of northrn Italy but it's the wrong time of the year to visit n a scoot - ski boots would be more in keeping.

You'll find pictures of possible places on your route on my blog though it isn't exactly as uptodate as I'd like. If you have any specific questions or want to chat about the routes I used feel free to PM me. Especially if you plan on coming near or through Houston. There is a pretty active scooter community here that would love to show you around.
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
UTC quote
I have ridden close to your same route several times round trip across American on a 150 and a 250. NOBODY, I repeat NOBODY treated me any way by kindly and helpful anywhere. Just as I have only been treated kindly in Italy to Egypt to Asia.

PM me if you want some information on routing. I, however, like others have said, recommend that you postpone your trip a couple of months if you can. Western roads will be difficult and some may even be closed due to snow.
@willie_b avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@willie_b avatar
UTC quote
Given we are on a forum, I think we've all become accustomed to people saying things that lack merit. There are sketchy folks anywhere on the planet, but if one minds their business, these folks are seldom seen. They prefer to associate with like kind. People in the south are very friendly, always wave and go out of their way to speak saying something positive. Can't say the same as you head north, eh?
@evilnerdlord avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 Stella

Hooked
@evilnerdlord avatar
2012 Stella
UTC quote
january and febuary?! good lord man, most of the nation will be a frozen snowy hell...except in the really deep southern states and even those are know to get a freeze or two.
OP
UTC

Lurker
vespa 125 et3

Lurker
vespa 125 et3
UTC quote
hello guys.
i want to thank you for all this nice replyes.
for me is better (if you want and if you have) to use facebook. my name is samuele cesaroni, in the picture i am at the sunset with my car. is better beacuse i remember your name and if anyone of you want to help me (maybe when i am in usa), can do. i am a really calm person, my great characteristic is that i am friendly i never had problems in past without any persons.
i'm not of the vespa club siena, but tomorrow i will contact them, i am a friend of someone of this club. my vespa club is of chianciano terme, near siena.

i write something about my trip, take from another forum, sorry but for me is little difficult to write in english

very trip i've do i have with me the spare parts of my vespa, expecially the engine small parts. i know where i go it's difficoult (or impossible) to find the special little piaggio parts of the engine. fort this american adventure, more this little part i send the 80% of mechanical spare parts of my vespa. of course i don't bring all with me; i have an accord with the forwarder in miami; wathever i need for my motorbike, they send to me. sorry for this bad english explain
also i have with me a second fuel thank like in photo. i go ever with 14-15 liters; i do 28 km/liter when i'm on trip, for 415 -420 i can go without stop.

another think i don't menzioned: i will go with a GPS, with a health insurance and more other technology; if i am in trouble i have the contact of italian consulate in miami and los angeles.

i know about the wind... is another difficult, is another adventure to live!!!!
when i am on trip, i have always a second fuel thank, another 10 liters for security.

you can help me about the laws, and if there is someone near my itinerary, i will be happy to have a dinner!! ed from florida, I live in the one of the best wine area of the world... we have nobile wine of montepulciano, brunello from montalcino...

i am working on a map now, i try to share with you but i need to learn to do! for now my doubts are in the mid us, new mexico, arizona, texas...
i want to go in the monument valley, las vegas, i hope there is possible to go there in february!!!!!!!!!
@evilnerdlord avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 Stella

Hooked
@evilnerdlord avatar
2012 Stella
UTC quote
southern route could work, but not through the rockies and sierra's at that time of year and old scoot woldn't stand a chance.

www.DMV.org to check the motorcycle laws for the states you pass through, in CA you need to be 150cc or better to get on the interstate.
OP
UTC

Lurker
vespa 125 et3

Lurker
vespa 125 et3
UTC quote
i don't want to take the interstate, highways, NEVER!!!
@ed_from_florida avatar
UTC

LX150ie

@ed_from_florida avatar
LX150ie
UTC quote
Route 98 is a beautiful route across the panhandle.....2 lane, most along the gulf of Mexico. Pick it up going west at Perry toward Appalachicola. Plenty of small towns and interesting stops along the way.
@evilnerdlord avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 Stella

Hooked
@evilnerdlord avatar
2012 Stella
UTC quote
your map had you hitting the rockies and sierra's at the worse possible time, and other than the main highways (interstates) many roads and backways are not plowed in winter and a storm would leave you like that iceman they found near switzerland...frozen for several centuries, on your scoot, in mid-ride.... an interesting sight to see, but i'm sure it wouldn't be pleasant for you.

I think you should read wan's trip acrooss the US....It might provide some..insite.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/130_0901_honda_ruckus_wan_lees/viewall.html

http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/257394-korean-dude-wan-lee-rides-ruckus-across-america.html

to guote:
"...
You drove the Ruckus through the Rocky Mountains??Yes! In high elevation, the Ruckus runs bad. Maybe 10-15mph. I was scared of the cars on the road so I drove on the shoulder. I went in late May and there was still snow. I would camp out at night and wake up seven times a night because it was so cold. Even when I was wearing everything I had, it was too cold! It was hard then, but the memories now are beautiful!..."
@superk2 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super - Beau, Honda CTX700 - Big Red

Addicted
@superk2 avatar
GTS 300 Super - Beau, Honda CTX700 - Big Red
UTC quote
Sounds like a great trip. I hope you give us updates.
@chaco avatar
UTC

2010 GTS 300 i.e.

@chaco avatar
2010 GTS 300 i.e.
UTC quote
I can only repeat what others have said about New Mexico and Arizona. To get to Monument Valley, you have to go over the Continental Divide and elevations consistently above 6000 feet (1800 meters). In February, it is possible to hit a storm free period but not very likely. I live about 150 km northeast of Monument Valley and can suggest some alternative routes to avoid the worst likelihood of snow but you may have to wait for several days if a storm system comes through. Ice on the roads is a definite possibility.

To get from Monument Valley to Las Vegas you will also need to avoid Flagstaff, Arizona because of the combination of snow and interstate highways.

It sounds like a wonderful adventure but maybe at the wrong time of year. September and October would be the perfect time for this trip.
@wobbly_wheels avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS Super Black 2011

Addicted
@wobbly_wheels avatar
GTS Super Black 2011
UTC quote
WOW

That looks like an amazing trip... Will be following this thread with interest...

Welcome to MV
@lazybones avatar
UTC

Hooked
-----2006 LX 150-----

Hooked
@lazybones avatar
-----2006 LX 150-----
UTC quote
Just trying to keep a fellow Vespuccian safe.
Leaking Lewis wrote:
Maybe not a terrorist but I get what you're getting at. The deep south is ultra-conservative. If you don't look a certain way you could be a target. We just don't want you to wind up like in the end of Easy Rider. PS. Watch out for AZ also.
@karlu avatar
UTC

Hooked
'12 Kymco People GTi300, '06 Yamaha Morphous,'10 Vespa GTS300s

Hooked
@karlu avatar
'12 Kymco People GTi300, '06 Yamaha Morphous,'10 Vespa GTS300s
UTC quote
Best Route
I rode from Tampa, Fl to here in Las Cruces, NM, but most of my riding was done on Interstate 10...there are some state or county roads paralleling the Interstate for SOME of the way, but not all. I tried taking it, but the speed limits were just too slow for me on a SilverWing 600, but for you on the 125 it may be perfect. The scenery was much better also. Because of fuel usage, I held speed down to about 70 mph.

I would also urge caution when thinking about going to northern New Mexico and Arizona at that time of year. Also, I've heard that Oklahoma has almost all of the Route 66 through the state. Again, that's going to be possibly hazardous at that time of year. Here, in the southern part of New Mexico at that time of year the temeratures will range from a low of possibly 25 degrees F to a high of maybe 55-60 degrees F. We are at 4,000 feet elevation, and the mountains up north are probably 1,500 - 2000 feet higher, maybe more.

I wish you great luck with your trip, it sounds wonderful except for the time of year you're planning on. April and May sounds much better to me.

Karlu

las cruces, nm
OP
UTC

Lurker
vespa 125 et3

Lurker
vespa 125 et3
UTC quote
thank you my friends!!!
i listen to you karlu, you have write an interesting post.
unfortunately i can't change the months because of work, damn!

if you want to follow me in my trip, you can start now on facebook or in my little blog.
i leave from here the 4th november to the isle of man (i try, but i don't know if with the work i can have some problem).
chaco, if you have facebook please be my friend. i you can help me with the roads near your land, but you can also help me because you are near the best areas for me. the monument valley, navajo, death valley, are one of the most important reason of my trip. you can suggested all to me.
wobby wheels, i see you live in england! i will come in your land about next 2 weeks!
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Temporarily Scooterless... :(

Ossessionato
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC quote
Best wishes on your trip! A lot of good advice above but don't let folks scare you too much in terms of the people/weather/routes and such... Sure, there can be problems - just be WELL prepared for them.

West Texas through S. New Mexico and into Arizona/Nevada/S. California can be cold/miserable if there is a storm rolling through, and it can also be awesome (though cool) riding weather most of the time in January/February. Be ready to wait a day or two or three if there are crappy riding conditions in the mountains. Have extra clothing/winter gear/etc. Have an emergency credit card for - emergencies. Be flexible.

Yes, there are places where route choices are slim - but I would argue that there are ALWAYS alternatives to freeways and busy roads - it is just a matter of searching them out and being willing to go the long way around in some areas. A couple of decades ago I rode my road bicycle across most of the U.S. and wound up doing a few hundred miles on dirt roads just because I wanted to and I didn't regret it one bit.

Don't be afraid to be adventurous and have a blast!

Desi B.
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC quote
Samu27 wrote:
...chaco, if you have facebook please be my friend. i you can help me with the roads near your land, but you can also help me because you are near the best areas for me. the monument valley, navajo, death valley, are one of the most important reason of my trip. you can suggested all to me...
To clarify this part of your goal - I will suggest being REALLY cautious about your travels in the '4 Corners' part of the U.S... Southern New Mexico is pretty easy to travel around in during the winter between storms - the '4 Corners' area not so much. Monument Valley, the Navajo Nation, Chaco Canyon, etc can be brutal at times in the winter... ...and undriveable in even 4 wheel drive vehicles if a storm has just passed through.

Again, if the weather is/has been nice for several days you could be fine - just count on it a lot less in that area.

You haven't mentioned it but I assume you were thinking of going past the Grand Canyon on either the north or south rim - again, both of those can be treacherous in January/February during/after a storm (and they can be spectacular if the weather is nice!). North rim gets far worse weather in the winter than the South rim.

Las Vegas/Death Valley aren't too bad - cold, occasional storms (much better if you approach either from the south) - much 'safer' riding conditions.

Just more info for you to digest!

Best of luck,

Desi B.
@greg531 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200

Molto Verboso
@greg531 avatar
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200
UTC quote
I would also make a good list of scooter shops along the way......In case of scooter problems/tires.....You might get stranded in a small town, waiting for parts......Most towns do not have scooter shops, except for the larger ones......motorcycle shops can help you out....for simple repairs.....
ET-3's are a rarity here...I would buy a used scooter over here, and sell it before you go back.....a lot cheaper than freight to the US and back to Europe!
I would check out Florida scooter shops, and craigslist for a good deal......
There are bad stories about people getting mugged, their scoots stolen.....but that is not the 99.99% of Americans......I have traveled over the south, and they are the friendliest Americans! Sure, you get the ridicule of riding a scooter, especially the young men....but most tend to think you have a great trip planned.....
I would also try to get some scooter people to ride with you, for a stretch or two....that would help with the boredom of a long trip by yourself.....and maybe get some invites from scooterist for a place to stay, if they live on the way....
Hope you have a great trip! It sounds like fun.....
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
greg531 wrote:
ET-3's are a rarity here...I would buy a used scooter over here, and sell it before you go back.....a lot cheaper than freight to the US and back to Europe!
How do you suggest he registers it and insures it? Almost impossible for a non-resident.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.2047s ][ Queries: 44 (0.1624s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]