Vespa 946 Owner notes and impressions
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...9101112Next
Author Message
Lurker
Joined: 14 Jan 2016
Posts: 1
Location: Madrid
Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:40 am quote
have you had any issues with security? I am thinking into buying one but am a little afraid it will be stolen in just a few days...
Hooked
Joined: 09 Mar 2015
Posts: 124

Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:09 am quote
I haven't had a bike stolen so I might be living in a fantasy world. I do live in a very nice area and my 946 lives in a closed garage. I think if it had to live on the street I would be nervous just because they are relatively small and light.

This bike is just so noticeable that it will draw attention. When I ride in asia I always ride a beater bike that looks like everyone else's bike.

If you have a garage I would go for it, its such a joy to ride. Good Luck!
Addicted
Yamaha XMAX 300, Sprint 150, PX 177 Polini.
Joined: 16 Mar 2014
Posts: 620

Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:57 am quote
mickfitz76 wrote:
mickfitz76 wrote:
ABS system has failed and it's off the road. Brakes have turned to sponge and feels very unsafe with unpredictable feeling when engaging. I'm unsure what's happened but now waiting on new ABS pump which could take a while.

Bummer.
Well the same thing has happened again. The Abs light came on mid braking and the levers went to sponge so it's off the road again.
13,000 kilometres passed just last week.

I hate technology sometimes.
Update.
ABS pump is dead. Something about the o rings inside perished or torn.
One month wait for parts but Vespa is repairing it free of charge even though it's outside the warranty period which i can't complain about.
Hats off to them.

I'm falling out of love with it though. Can't park it with piece of mind that it will be ok. Came back to the bike with a bunch of Chinese tourists climbing all over it taking pics. Also the lack of storage is starting to wear me down.
I'm thinking about storing it long term, disconnect the battery and drain the fuel and fire it up to give to my sons one day.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
946
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 6164
Location: Acworth, GA
Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:06 am quote
So funny you mention the tourists... I actually had 2 Chinese tourists (both grown women) sitting on mine once when I parked at a local outdoor shopping center. True story!
Addicted
Yamaha XMAX 300, Sprint 150, PX 177 Polini.
Joined: 16 Mar 2014
Posts: 620

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:50 pm quote
Masala wrote:
So funny you mention the tourists... I actually had 2 Chinese tourists (both grown women) sitting on mine once when I parked at a local outdoor shopping center. True story!
Yes. I had 3 women climbing all over it. One taking snaps and then swapping.
They have no respect for other peoples property and to top it off, they didn't think it was wrong.
i'm also over the questions about the bike "What brand is it" and "how much is it"
I swear i have been asked those two questions at least 50 times.
I wish i never took the badges off.
Hooked
946 Bellissima//MP3 500
Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Posts: 117
Location: SoCal
Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:51 pm quote
For any 946 owners in the US who want to change to the ROTW LED turn signals (eliminating the pods), the signals all are available from SIP for about $250 delivered. Just search '946 indicator". Besides grabbing the positive wires from the existing front pods/turn signals, a little splicing and a bit of body-panel removal, all you need is an LED compatible flasher relay that matches the connectors on the relay you'll be replacing.

Here's a link to one that is literally plug-and-play:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/cf12anl-01-led-bulb-electronic-flasher/781/835/

So, about $200 less than any "kit" offered ($263 all in for me), some patience with the body panels and very little wiring is all it takes.
Addicted
GTV 300
Joined: 16 Jun 2015
Posts: 812
Location: Raleigh / Durham, North Carolina, U.S.A.
Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:28 am quote
mickfitz76 wrote:
Took off the continental white walls and went with Michelin power pure. What a transformation. Grip and ride is excellent.
Much better than even the standard city grips.

Continental white walls my look great but they are garbage ride and wear faster than any other tire.
Question: What is the best site wall out the regardless of the price? I have a GTV 300 i.e. And I love the look of a white wall.
Member
946, LX50
Joined: 16 May 2015
Posts: 31
Location: Canada
Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:20 pm quote
Completed the VMP (PMP) Vespa Multimedia Platform installation with all factory parts today (minus a cellphone attachment to the factory mounting post).

DIY. should be about 1 hour but took me 1.5 hour just to be safe.

Installation is not difficult. Follow the simplified Vespa instruction, your intuition, and that youtube video on the 946 VMP install.

The only major difference from my installation experience is that I did not have to remove the floorboard at all. As well, the horn cover does not have to be removed, but rather just tilted forward. This saved me time and worries.

Access would have been more straight forward, but it is not necessary to remove so many things.

Works alright as described, but more gimmicky than necessity.

IMG_3329.JPG

Molto Verboso
'61 GS150Cushman '63 GS160, '74 Primavera, '77 Rally 200,'80 P200E '05 PX150,'13 946,'64 Vyatka VP150,'77 Vyatka-Elektron,'07 GTS250, '63Tula200M
Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 1127

Mon May 02, 2016 2:11 pm quote
mickfitz76 wrote:
Masala wrote:
So funny you mention the tourists... I actually had 2 Chinese tourists (both grown women) sitting on mine once when I parked at a local outdoor shopping center. True story!
Yes. I had 3 women climbing all over it. One taking snaps and then swapping.
They have no respect for other peoples property and to top it off, they didn't think it was wrong.
i'm also over the questions about the bike "What brand is it" and "how much is it"
I swear i have been asked those two questions at least 50 times.
I wish i never took the badges off.
Last fall a gentleman came to me and told me that his teenage daughter was dreaming about having a picture of her on a vespa, he asked me if I could allow her to do it. Of course, I had no problems with it! They were respectful, polite and knew about vespa.
Molto Verboso
'61 GS150Cushman '63 GS160, '74 Primavera, '77 Rally 200,'80 P200E '05 PX150,'13 946,'64 Vyatka VP150,'77 Vyatka-Elektron,'07 GTS250, '63Tula200M
Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 1127

Mon May 02, 2016 2:15 pm quote
PBC wrote:
have you had any issues with security? I am thinking into buying one but am a little afraid it will be stolen in just a few days...
I always chain it; if i leave it in public place for few hours i always put a cover on. I also use grip-lock each time I leave 946 unattended.
Molto Verboso
'61 GS150Cushman '63 GS160, '74 Primavera, '77 Rally 200,'80 P200E '05 PX150,'13 946,'64 Vyatka VP150,'77 Vyatka-Elektron,'07 GTS250, '63Tula200M
Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 1127

Mon May 02, 2016 2:17 pm quote
mickfitz76 wrote:
mickfitz76 wrote:
mickfitz76 wrote:
ABS system has failed and it's off the road. Brakes have turned to sponge and feels very unsafe with unpredictable feeling when engaging. I'm unsure what's happened but now waiting on new ABS pump which could take a while.

Bummer.
Well the same thing has happened again. The Abs light came on mid braking and the levers went to sponge so it's off the road again.
13,000 kilometres passed just last week.

I hate technology sometimes.
Update.
ABS pump is dead. Something about the o rings inside perished or torn.
One month wait for parts but Vespa is repairing it free of charge even though it's outside the warranty period which i can't complain about.
Hats off to them.

I'm falling out of love with it though. Can't park it with piece of mind that it will be ok. Came back to the bike with a bunch of Chinese tourists climbing all over it taking pics. Also the lack of storage is starting to wear me down.
I'm thinking about storing it long term, disconnect the battery and drain the fuel and fire it up to give to my sons one day.
What other scooters do you have? 946 is not perfect for one and only scooter in the stable.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
946
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 6164
Location: Acworth, GA
Mon May 02, 2016 2:35 pm quote
vyatka wrote:
mickfitz76 wrote:
Masala wrote:
So funny you mention the tourists... I actually had 2 Chinese tourists (both grown women) sitting on mine once when I parked at a local outdoor shopping center. True story!
Yes. I had 3 women climbing all over it. One taking snaps and then swapping.
They have no respect for other peoples property and to top it off, they didn't think it was wrong.
i'm also over the questions about the bike "What brand is it" and "how much is it"
I swear i have been asked those two questions at least 50 times.
I wish i never took the badges off.
Last fall a gentleman came to me and told me that his teenage daughter was dreaming about having a picture of her on a vespa, he asked me if I could allow her to do it. Of course, I had no problems with it! They were respectful, polite and knew about vespa.
That would be a delightful request to honor... I would let anyone sit and/or have a photo if they asked so politely as the man asked you! Good job...
Hooked
946 Bellissima//MP3 500
Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Posts: 117
Location: SoCal
Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:49 pm quote
Unneeded warranty is up in July, so I picked up the Malossi 185 kit from Motovista. Taking the 946 to Greasy (Aaron) tomorrow for the install. Any advice on other things to do while "in there" or tuning tips greatly appreciated.

Currently running the Multivar with 12g DRP Sliders, OEM belt and contra spring, Remus exhaust and lambda emulator.

Thanks, all.
Molto Verboso
'61 GS150Cushman '63 GS160, '74 Primavera, '77 Rally 200,'80 P200E '05 PX150,'13 946,'64 Vyatka VP150,'77 Vyatka-Elektron,'07 GTS250, '63Tula200M
Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 1127

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:30 am quote
Greg75 wrote:
Unneeded warranty is up in July, so I picked up the Malossi 185 kit from Motovista. Taking the 946 to Greasy (Aaron) tomorrow for the install. Any advice on other things to do while "in there" or tuning tips greatly appreciated.

Currently running the Multivar with 12g DRP Sliders, OEM belt and contra spring, Remus exhaust and lambda emulator.

Thanks, all.
How did it go? Have you seized the kit yet?
Hooked
946 Bellissima//MP3 500
Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Posts: 117
Location: SoCal
Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:10 am quote
Waiting patiently (not too). Will report when done.
Addicted
GTV 300
Joined: 16 Jun 2015
Posts: 812
Location: Raleigh / Durham, North Carolina, U.S.A.
Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:56 am quote
Any issues with the first 946's? I'm thinking about picking one up used. What mods are popular with them?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
946
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 6164
Location: Acworth, GA
Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:43 am quote
AirborneSpoon wrote:
Any issues with the first 946's? I'm thinking about picking one up used. What mods are popular with them?
No issues with the 946... It runs like a top.
Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-
Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Posts: 1729
Location: Oak Island NC
Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:29 am quote
I think I have one of the earlier US 946s, build date early September 2013. No real issues. A low-speed stumble in the engine was corrected by re-mapping the ECU. No mods yet. I may someday remove the US-only pod turn indicators and install the Euro ones. 2100 miles so far.
For the record, the bike was dead slow the first 500-600 miles.
Drift Unit SC
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 938

Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:14 pm quote
so I joined the 946 club.
I wanted a commuter and something to complement the Vespa GS and Lambrettas.. so here it is. 2013. If you havent done the malossi rollers, do it. Great upgrade to get some ooomph.

This is when I put it in the shop to do the rollers/ECU update.
Molto Verboso
'61 GS150Cushman '63 GS160, '74 Primavera, '77 Rally 200,'80 P200E '05 PX150,'13 946,'64 Vyatka VP150,'77 Vyatka-Elektron,'07 GTS250, '63Tula200M
Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 1127

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:39 pm quote
bosco wrote:
so I joined the 946 club.
I wanted a commuter and something to complement the Vespa GS and Lambrettas.. so here it is. 2013. If you havent done the malossi rollers, do it. Great upgrade to get some ooomph.

This is when I put it in the shop to do the rollers/ECU update.
Welcome to da club.
Addicted
Yamaha XMAX 300, Sprint 150, PX 177 Polini.
Joined: 16 Mar 2014
Posts: 620

Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:19 am quote
Bad news for saving money. Vespa doing a promotion on the 946 armani with 0% interest free over 24 months.
wifey knows that empty spot is about to be filled and surprising not against it.
Thank you interest free finance.
Hooked
Joined: 25 Jan 2016
Posts: 110
Location: Las Vegas
Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:36 pm quote
Would be nice if they had a side stand option for the 946
Hooked
'14 Vespa 946, '18 Yamaha Xmax
Joined: 21 May 2016
Posts: 369
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:02 am quote
Well, add me to the list... I reached out to AF1 and Ed Cook, one of the owners replied in kind. I live just south of Washington, DC and I'll be doing a fly and ride home from Austin, TX, roughly 1,600 miles.

I would like to mention that the sales representative Colin Shanafelt took the time to answer very technical questions to assist me in my purchase decision.

Next step is to book a flight and make this happen weather permitting. I ordered the windshield part #1B000341 windshield as I don't think I could enjoy this long of a trip without it. The USB interface kit is no longer available so I ordered the USB socket #1D001377 and hope to access the kick panel to connect to charge my phone on the way home.

I'll connect a Ram mount to the mirror bolt and connect my iPhone 6+ to an X-arm for this. I also use a water proof mophie phone case to protect my phone during this journey.

I'll be happy to post a ride report on MV as I will be doing so for two other forums that I haunt if there's any interest? I tend to do real time updates and report the news good or bad as I go.

On a side note I'm purchasing a leftover '14 which I believe does come with roadside assistance with the warranty. Colin is checking on this for me as I write this post. It is my understanding that Piaggio/Vespa do not include the roadside assistance with post '14 models.

Eric

Molto Verboso
Vespa 946
Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Posts: 1378
Location: Lake Geneva, WI
Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:16 pm quote
Make sure you have them install the lighter rollers right away. I believe they're the Malossi 12.5 grams. I'm positive that the exact weight is listed somewhere in this massive thread!!! But it's a must to get these heavy dogs moving off the line
Enthusiast
2007 LX150
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Posts: 82

Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:21 pm quote
the 946 is such a sleek looking scoot. i wish it went a little faster. i'd be all over it
Molto Verboso
Vespa 946
Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Posts: 1378
Location: Lake Geneva, WI
Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:30 pm quote
You've never looked so good...going so slow. It's what scooters are all about my friend
Addicted
Yamaha XMAX 300, Sprint 150, PX 177 Polini.
Joined: 16 Mar 2014
Posts: 620

Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:57 pm quote
undying wrote:
the 946 is such a sleek looking scoot. i wish it went a little faster. i'd be all over it
They are slow but I think it comes down to the delivery of the power and was intended that way. Just speculating here through observation.
I've noticed when ordering the big bore kit for the 946 it has a different part number compared to Sprint/Primavera due to the different throttle body with the cdi integrated into it.
I've also seen people with 185cc kits on the 946 and felt not much gain and disappointed with it but it's very much noticable gain on the Sprint/Primavera bikes.
I don't see why the 946 would have the exclusive throttle body to the rest of the 125cc and 150cc Vespa models unless they just wanted it to be a cruiser.

That's my thoughts.
Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-
Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Posts: 1729
Location: Oak Island NC
Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:37 pm quote
Faster when ridden
Get 1,500 miles on it before you decide your 946 is slow. Yes 0-10mph will never be head-snapping, but 35mph sneaks up real quick and I can hold 65mph all day, or at least until the tank is empty.
Hooked
'14 Vespa 946, '18 Yamaha Xmax
Joined: 21 May 2016
Posts: 369
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:44 am quote
Thanks for the replies. I'll be doing a quasi blog/ride report that I'll try to update daily as I'm making this journey.

I've started a thread here. Austin to The Old Dominion on a 155cc Scooter

Eric
Molto Verboso
Vespa 946
Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Posts: 1378
Location: Lake Geneva, WI
Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:45 am quote
I kinda agree...(about waiting to make the ride home)

These things have a break in period for a reason. I've seen the slivers of metal in the oil screen of every new vespa I've ever purchased.

IF I were to ever partake in such a journey....I'd be babying the heck of out if and changing the oil every 500 miles on the road.

But that's just me....I'm a little nuts. Not paranoid per se....just nuts. I like feeling like I'm taking care of the machine not just riding it into the ground.
Hooked
Primavera 150 (La bella Argento)
Joined: 08 Nov 2014
Posts: 244
Location: Providence, RI
Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:23 am quote
mickfitz76 wrote:
undying wrote:
the 946 is such a sleek looking scoot. i wish it went a little faster. i'd be all over it
They are slow but I think it comes down to the delivery of the power and was intended that way. Just speculating here through observation.
I've noticed when ordering the big bore kit for the 946 it has a different part number compared to Sprint/Primavera due to the different throttle body with the cdi integrated into it.
I've also seen people with 185cc kits on the 946 and felt not much gain and disappointed with it but it's very much noticable gain on the Sprint/Primavera bikes.
I don't see why the 946 would have the exclusive throttle body to the rest of the 125cc and 150cc Vespa models unless they just wanted it to be a cruiser.

That's my thoughts.
Pretty sure the exclusive throttle body is to accommodate for the ASR. Remember this was the first Vespa with ASR/ABS, the Sprint and Primavera do not have this function and have a single channel (front wheel only) ABS system
Addicted
Yamaha XMAX 300, Sprint 150, PX 177 Polini.
Joined: 16 Mar 2014
Posts: 620

Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:38 pm quote
Happystrada wrote:
mickfitz76 wrote:
undying wrote:
the 946 is such a sleek looking scoot. i wish it went a little faster. i'd be all over it
They are slow but I think it comes down to the delivery of the power and was intended that way. Just speculating here through observation.
I've noticed when ordering the big bore kit for the 946 it has a different part number compared to Sprint/Primavera due to the different throttle body with the cdi integrated into it.
I've also seen people with 185cc kits on the 946 and felt not much gain and disappointed with it but it's very much noticable gain on the Sprint/Primavera bikes.
I don't see why the 946 would have the exclusive throttle body to the rest of the 125cc and 150cc Vespa models unless they just wanted it to be a cruiser.

That's my thoughts.
Pretty sure the exclusive throttle body is to accommodate for the ASR. Remember this was the first Vespa with ASR/ABS, the Sprint and Primavera do not have this function and have a single channel (front wheel only) ABS system
Yeah I wasn't sure. I just feel that the 946 delivered the power much differently than the same engine on the Sprint/Primavera.
The 125cc on the Sprint is much faster off the line.
I can't understand why the 946 feels so sluggish compared.
Hooked
'14 Vespa 946, '18 Yamaha Xmax
Joined: 21 May 2016
Posts: 369
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:39 pm quote
Glad to see this thread necromanced! I'll have lots to share after my journey.
Hooked
Primavera125
Joined: 21 Feb 2017
Posts: 136
Location: Thailand
Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:09 am quote
This is, my dear fellow Vespanians, the way young northern Thai girls look at you when you are seventy years old and
park a Vespa Primavera in front of a shop where wheeling chairs, poopoo chairs, rollaters and walking sticks are sold.
Though I must say that this was actually pure coincidence....

In Thailand the 946 costs only a little bit more than a small car like a Honda Fit, so I have other priorities, but at least
I have the perspective of an upgrade...

The 946 is a piece of art and you can even play with it or, if you would like to define it like that, use it...

By coincidence I bumped into a portrait of Giorgio Armani, made by Marc Riboud in 1987.
I think he added some design features a few years ago.

DSC00391.JPG

Giorgio-Armani-1987.jpg

Molto Verboso
'61 GS150Cushman '63 GS160, '74 Primavera, '77 Rally 200,'80 P200E '05 PX150,'13 946,'64 Vyatka VP150,'77 Vyatka-Elektron,'07 GTS250, '63Tula200M
Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 1127

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:51 am quote
Re: Faster when ridden
DailyRider28465 wrote:
Get 1,500 miles on it before you decide your 946 is slow. Yes 0-10mph will never be head-snapping, but 35mph sneaks up real quick and I can hold 65mph all day, or at least until the tank is empty.
I have exactly the same experience. after 1000-1500 946 runs much better. The acceleration is strong, you can cruise 65-70mph easily. I feel the difference between 946 150cc and BV250 only on steep hills.
Hooked
'14 Vespa 946, '18 Yamaha Xmax
Joined: 21 May 2016
Posts: 369
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:12 pm quote
So what octane gas is everyone using?
Hooked
Joined: 25 Jan 2016
Posts: 110
Location: Las Vegas
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:43 pm quote
Scoot wrote:
Make sure you have them install the lighter rollers right away. I believe they're the Malossi 12.5 grams. I'm positive that the exact weight is listed somewhere in this massive thread!!! But it's a must to get these heavy dogs moving off the line
Doesn't this affect the top speed though??
Hooked
Joined: 25 Jan 2016
Posts: 110
Location: Las Vegas
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:44 pm quote
Scoot wrote:
You've never looked so good...going so slow. It's what scooters are all about my friend
Perfect.
Hooked
Joined: 25 Jan 2016
Posts: 110
Location: Las Vegas
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:45 pm quote
mickfitz76 wrote:
Happystrada wrote:
mickfitz76 wrote:
undying wrote:
the 946 is such a sleek looking scoot. i wish it went a little faster. i'd be all over it
They are slow but I think it comes down to the delivery of the power and was intended that way. Just speculating here through observation.
I've noticed when ordering the big bore kit for the 946 it has a different part number compared to Sprint/Primavera due to the different throttle body with the cdi integrated into it.
I've also seen people with 185cc kits on the 946 and felt not much gain and disappointed with it but it's very much noticable gain on the Sprint/Primavera bikes.
I don't see why the 946 would have the exclusive throttle body to the rest of the 125cc and 150cc Vespa models unless they just wanted it to be a cruiser.

That's my thoughts.
Pretty sure the exclusive throttle body is to accommodate for the ASR. Remember this was the first Vespa with ASR/ABS, the Sprint and Primavera do not have this function and have a single channel (front wheel only) ABS system
Yeah I wasn't sure. I just feel that the 946 delivered the power much differently than the same engine on the Sprint/Primavera.
The 125cc on the Sprint is much faster off the line.
I can't understand why the 946 feels so sluggish compared.
I'm sure it's because of the extra weight of the portly 946...
Hooked
Joined: 25 Jan 2016
Posts: 110
Location: Las Vegas
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:46 pm quote
Virginian wrote:
So what octane gas is everyone using?
Premium 92 or 93
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...9101112Next
[ Time: 0.1904s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0504s) ][ Debug on ]