Well..its started... (Smallframe c/w Primavera Engine resto)
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Scooter Pimp
------Piaggio Zip 100------
Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:42 am quote

Ok.... I've started.....

My 1976 Smallframe that I'm restoring - its fitted with a 2 port Primavera engine..

I want to use this thread as my restoration log, so I can store photos to refer to later...and also they may be of use to anyone else considering a similar resto.

First pic is of the scooter up on my homemade workbench...

Next 2 pics are of the engine out of the frame and the engine itself.....

Last edited by Fabio Dougie on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:55 am; edited 3 times in total
Scooter Pimp
Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:12 am quote
Next thing I'm going to tackle is the removal of the headset.......

Last edited by Fabio Dougie on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Scooter Pimp
Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:22 am quote
Some close-ups of the switchgear wiring (my apologies for the blurred photos) and the control cable positioning within the frame.........

Last edited by Fabio Dougie on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Scooter Pimp
Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:28 am quote
Headset removed....

Last edited by Fabio Dougie on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Scooter Pimp
Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:35 am quote
Here's the engine stand waiting for the engine........

IMG-20131024-00179.jpg

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:10 pm quote
I'll be following along.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:21 am quote
chequer plate
like how you work mate ... gettit ... workmate .... ahhh please yasen

where you get the engine stand???
Scooter Pimp
Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:56 am quote
Re: chequer plate
T5bitza69 wrote:
where you get the engine stand???
www.jb-fab.com - I got this one because with a bit of tinkering it can be used on both a LF and a SF engine............the centre section unbolts for flat storage too.....
Scooter Pimp
Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:12 am quote
Forks dropped...

Last edited by Fabio Dougie on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:58 am; edited 3 times in total
Scooter Pimp
Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:25 am quote
Front wheel off....

Last edited by Fabio Dougie on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Scooter Pimp
Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:33 am quote
Mudguard off (this was quite tricky - all the bolts were seized)...

Scooter Pimp
Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:57 am quote
Engine fitted into the stand.....

Sorry for the bad photos....I'd got the engine mounted on the stand, with the carb and LV pipe fitted..... the two boxes on the left are carrying the fuel tank so that I can have the engine running in the stand. I've had it running ok since its been in the stand.

My plan is to get the frame stripped and all the metalwork prepared and finished in etch-primer. Then I'm going to store the frame (probably hang it from the ceiling to create a little space) and use the bench to dis-assemble the engine and replace the seals and bearings etc.

I also want to kit the engine to give is some more "spirit" and after much consideration and internal debate I'm thinking along the lines of a Malossi kit, and matching the ports in the case...I wanted to reuse the current Leo Vince "Kidney bean" exhaust if it wasnt too restrictive, and perhaps I'd have to consider a large carb.

I'm not too sure and will have to research yet as I want to give it a bit more oompfh but without braking the bank balance, but at the same time keeping in running fairly reliably...I guess a mild usable tune is what I'm after....any suggestions here as to whether my plans are correct would be greatly appreciated as my knowledge of smallframe tuning is limited. I do however have experience of replacing seals and bearing and the like in my old PK125 engine so..........

Any advice on combinations of tuning parts/work that you would suggest I research would be great - I also yet need to understand the importance of replacing the crank or upgrading the clutch, etc etc

Scooter Pimp
Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:59 pm quote
Started to strip the frame of paint ---- on the look out for any welding that needs doing...

Last edited by Fabio Dougie on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:16 pm quote
Are you going to strip all the paint off? It may become ugly but at least you can give a thorough inspection.
Hooked
04 Geely 50cc

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:59 pm quote
Nice write up. I have some smallie projects inline for the winter myself. Good luck mate.
Scooter Pimp
Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:17 am quote
Lynnb wrote:
Are you going to strip all the paint off? It may become ugly but at least you can give a thorough inspection.
Yes - I'm going down to bare metal - definitely on the floorboard area....this is the ugliest looking part of the scoot - the rest isn't too bad at all

From what I've seen so far the floorboard has been patched and strengthened previously, its been done very strongly and it feels very substantial - - it just needs a little tidying up
scootokc4415 wrote:
Nice write up. I have some smallie projects inline for the winter myself. Good luck mate.
I need some luck - I've just blown my drill up - it was on the way out anyway - but there was a loud BANG!! and a flash of light - - -I nearly s**t myself!!

I was using it with a wire brush attachment to make the stripping process quicker - I think I'll resort to my angle grinder and buy a twisted conical wire brush attachment for it......

CWB100.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:52 am quote
Good work, keep going

I have a V90 smallie in bits that I've had forever, that I might get to after finishing my GTR rebuild, but that's a way off. My GTR footboard is in similar state to yours but rather than work on the patching, holes etc I'm going to replace it with a new panel.

Go easy with the angle grinder - those wire cups are pretty good but use them lightly, and be safe - I snagged one briefly on my GTR frame and the grinder jumped out of my hand and hit my thigh, tearing a hole in my overalls but not getting through my jeans underneath, fortunately. So goggles, gloves and coveralls!

The Pinasco 177cc kits always seem to be put into upgraded smallies which tells me they're quite well regarded.
Molto Verboso
Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:23 am quote
I like how you left the center-stand on until the last minute. Nice chronology.
Did you not consider having a media blaster strip it?
Yeah, I had to replace my floor.

IMG_2682.JPG
return from the blaster

IMG_2649.JPG
off to the blaster

Scooter Pimp
Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:07 am quote
brown_beret7 wrote:
I have a V90 smallie in bits that I've had forever, that I might get to after finishing my GTR rebuild, but that's a way off. My GTR footboard is in similar state to yours but rather than work on the patching, holes etc I'm going to replace it with a new panel.
I'm torn between either replace or patch up - the previous repair is so solid that it really would be a shame to rip it all off for the sake of a bit of light welding and some weld dressing....... it all depends on what else I find when I get a bit more of the paint stripped off....
brown_beret7 wrote:
Go easy with the angle grinder - those wire cups are pretty good but use them lightly, and be safe ........... So goggles, gloves and coveralls!
Yes that was my concern...so I stared with a standard wire brush on my tired old drill which then went POP!!! I've ordered a new drill on the internet.... so that should be here in a couple of days and then I can decide which method I'm most comfortable with (angle grinder with wire cups, or drill with wire brush)
brown_beret7 wrote:
The Pinasco 177cc kits always seem to be put into upgraded smallies which tells me they're quite well regarded.
Aha.... an opinion at last on what I should do with the engine to get it pepped up, I've asked on a couple of threads but with not much in the way of responses (I guess I was asking the wrong question, or perhaps wasn't specific enough)

Mind you...I always thought the Pinasco 177 fitted a largeframe engine not a smallframe????

abuello wrote:
I like how you left the center-stand on until the last minute. Nice chronology. Did you not consider having a media blaster strip it?
It made sense to me to do it that way to take the weight so I wouldn't have to struggle.

I did consider blasting but I think when I looked I found it was quite expensive and I was wanting to keep my costs down...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:48 pm quote
On footboards - I've found a couple of suppliers, SIP, eBay, so you may be able to get one for a smallie (you can see the condition of mine in one of my log photos -> Full restoration log - 1975 Vespa GTR 125

On drills - drills and wire brush cups work pretty well but you'll eventually wreck the chuck and shaft on a drill doing it, because its not designed for the side strain you put on it when pushing the cup into corners under load etc. Voice of experience - my old drill needs replacing for exactly that reason

On kits - you might want to try the guys on the smallframe forum, who I bet know a thing or two about kits and primmy engines
http://vespasmallframeforum.proboards.com/

This is what I was thinking of but this is Race Only, but you can browse through the SIP online catalogue through this page and they have quite a lot of smallie tuning options
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/racing+cylinder+pinasco+125cc+_79400000

You might also find the SIP exploded diagrams helpful, and their prices are a good marker...
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/ersatzteile/Vespa%20Smallframe
Hooked
04 Geely 50cc

Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:04 pm quote
That Pinasco kit is pretty nice, but not too much power over stock, I had one a few years back.
If you are looking for around town pep and not trying to build an all out racer go Polini. Super solid kits and more than enough power to get you away from lights and up hills. Pair it with an Et3 Banana pipe and a 19/19 and you will be happy and you won't break the bank.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:07 pm quote
T5bitza69 wrote:
Am wondering whether a two workmate bench like that might hold a GTS OK? I need to rig something similar in my garage. Would love a proper lift but they're not cheap...
Scooter Pimp
Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:10 pm quote
scootokc4415 wrote:
That Pinasco kit is pretty nice, but not too much power over stock, I had one a few years back.
If you are looking for around town pep and not trying to build an all out racer go Polini. Super solid kits and more than enough power to get you away from lights and up hills. Pair it with an Et3 Banana pipe and a 19/19 and you will be happy and you won't break the bank.
Around town more pep is all I'm really after....

My initial thoughts were to use a Malossi 136, its already fitted with a LeoVince kidney bean pipe (not too sure if this pipe is any good performance wise or not) and perhaps a larger carb (its already got a 19/19 so might start it with that till I'm ready)

Would I need to upgrade the stock crank and clutch with this type of setup?

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/racing+cylinder+malossi+136cc+_15030000

And also your thoughts on Malossi 136 v Polini 135 kits?

Last edited by Fabio Dougie on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scooter Pimp
Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:18 pm quote
brown_beret7 wrote:
T5bitza69 wrote:
Am wondering whether a two workmate bench like that might hold a GTS OK? I need to rig something similar in my garage. Would love a proper lift but they're not cheap...
Yes it would.....

The "bed" to the bench I made with some 4 x 2 to make up a frame and then used some spare loft boards to make the flat bed of it.

The red section unscrews and the frame underneath that section I made more "open" so I can drop a rear wheel off if you see what I mean....

Also I've found that by making the bench a touch longer than expected I can load the scooter onto the bench single handed, by lifting the front wheel on first and then balancing the scoot whilst i lift the back wheel up and moving the scooter forward, then popping it back onto the stand.

(Thanks for the useful links BTW - much appreciated)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:43 pm quote
Thanks for the bench thoughts.

Just looking at your floor pan photo again, and you're missing a front strut I think - you should have two. This floorpan shows them..
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/repair+sheet+floor+board+for_pv1534

You can buy the floor struts/bars separately, but it might be another reason to think about replacing the floorpan, depending on how neat you want it of course
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/floor+board+bar+floor+board+_pv1545
Scooter Pimp
Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:28 am quote
brown_beret7 wrote:
Thanks for the bench thoughts.

Just looking at your floor pan photo again, and you're missing a front strut I think - you should have two. This floorpan shows them..
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/repair+sheet+floor+board+for_pv1534

You can buy the floor struts/bars separately, but it might be another reason to think about replacing the floorpan, depending on how neat you want it of course
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/floor+board+bar+floor+board+_pv1545
Yes I thought I was missing one - not too sure the best way to proceed - maybe check the rest of the frame and if ok then just weld another strut on?
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:12 pm quote
What became of this restore?
Scooter Pimp
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:00 pm quote
Lynnb wrote:
What became of this restore?
Ended up selling it.... it returned a good profit.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1792s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0381s) ][ Debug on ]