130/70-12 front tires on a MP3 250
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Hooked
MP3 250
Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:16 pm quote
I'm thinking of moving up to a 130/70-12 front tires on my wifes MP3 250 when her front tires wear out. Not much bigger but I think I'll get more miles out of them, I might try the City Grips because I've read several posts that said they got good mileage and traction with the City Grips. Any other tires I should look at for the front of my wifes MP3 250?

ROD
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV200
Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:24 pm quote
The City Grip is a great tire. I tried the Pirelli GTS tires. Had them on for a couple days, hated them, pulled them off and put on City Grips. Also I think at one time had 130's , did not like them. The 120 City's seemed to lean with the least effort.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV200
Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:25 pm quote
The City Grip is a great tire. I tried the Pirelli GTS tires. Had them on for a couple days, hated them, pulled them off and put on City Grips. Also I think at one time had 130's , did not like them. The 120 City's seemed to lean with the least effort.

Handling characteristics of MP3 250 and Gilera Fuoco
MP3 Fuoco 500
Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:49 am quote
i just switched from Michelin City grip to Heidenau K66

City grip 120/70-12 , 28 PSI, ridden from 6000km to 10000km, 4000km under my belt.

K66 130/70-12, running 27psi front now.

The tires was pumped to 30PSI initially, 1st 10-15 degree of lean, the bike feels normal. but once pass that angle, the bike tends to steer and lean in more. it had a very twitchy feeling

Handling on the front tire is very very light.

Deflate to 27PSI and now it rides better, doesn't tends to lean in any more, probably also getting more into its round profile now, earlier on, it feels very angular at the point of 15deg onwards..

Earlier on, when on the City grip, it is very difficult to change path in the middle of a bend., the bike tends to goes to the outside of the bend more.
With the K66, the bike changes direction easily. no problem moving from inside of the bend to the outside of the bend and vice-versa.

The K66 also grips alot better.

I'm still in the scrub-in period and hopefully, the tires gets better as it wears down the protective outer coat..

I also notice that there are lesser wobble in the bends when going at 100-120kmh on the highway.

Comparison was done on both highway and city streets between same stretches of road/lanes, noticed over the last few days. I only got the tires changed on Sat,9Nov, and had 250KM on it now.

definitely worth a change from 120/70-12 to 130/70-12!!

I also upsized my rear from 140/70-14 to 150/70-14
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500ie
Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:22 pm quote
eclipse1 wrote:
The tires was pumped to 30PSI initially, 1st 10-15 degree of lean, the bike feels normal. but once pass that angle, the bike tends to steer and lean in more. it had a very twitchy feeling

I just put new City Grips on the front to replace the original Pilots and noticed the same thing. They put 30psi in whereas I was running 28 before. I'm sure that I will soon grow accustomed to it but it was noticeable enough that I stopped and re-checked the tire pressure.
Enthusiast
MP3 400
Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:51 pm quote
If I remember correctly there should be 1.6 Bar on the fronts, which corresponds to 23-24 psi. This is value for MP3/400, but fronts are the same. Do you have another numbers in the manual or this numbers are based on your best experience?
Truly speaking I never tried to over-inflate to 28 or 30 psi, and I do not have any experience riding with high pressures (so I am asking why should I ? Will it be better for mileage or comfort?).
Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500
Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:43 am quote
bigbadger wrote:
eclipse1 wrote:

I just put new City Grips on the front to replace the original Pilots and noticed the same thing. They put 30psi in whereas I was running 28 before. I'm sure that I will soon grow accustomed to it but it was noticeable enough that I stopped and re-checked the tire pressure.
Not sure if it is the same over there as here in Ireland, but certainly with car tyres, and I imagine with bike also, that tyre shops just put in a "average" amount of air, usually 28 or 30psi. I am sure they do not check what make car/bike you are using and what is recommended pressure.

So they probably reckon from size of wheel it is a scooter or motorcycle and put in an average pressure. So I always check pressures, (with my own gauge), when I get tyres fitted...........
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500ie
Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:12 pm quote
IrishTC wrote:
bigbadger wrote:
eclipse1 wrote:

Not sure if it is the same over there as here in Ireland, but certainly with car tyres, and I imagine with bike also, that tyre shops just put in a "average" amount of air, usually 28 or 30psi. I am sure they do not check what make car/bike you are using and what is recommended pressure.

So they probably reckon from size of wheel it is a scooter or motorcycle and put in an average pressure. So I always check pressures, (with my own gauge), when I get tyres fitted...........
I had checked when I got them. The different feel after I put them on made me check again.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK
Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:04 pm quote
McKee wrote:
If I remember correctly there should be 1.6 Bar on the fronts, which corresponds to 23-24 psi. This is value for MP3/400, but fronts are the same. Do you have another numbers in the manual or this numbers are based on your best experience?
Truly speaking I never tried to over-inflate to 28 or 30 psi, and I do not have any experience riding with high pressures (so I am asking why should I ? Will it be better for mileage or comfort?).
23-24 psi is way too low of pressures, put them up around 28-30.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK
Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:07 pm quote
bigbadger wrote:
IrishTC wrote:
bigbadger wrote:
eclipse1 wrote:

I had checked when I got them. The different feel after I put them on made me check again.
the pilots are a different style of tire design than the city grips. pilots are more rounded profile.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.3768s ][ Queries: 35 (0.1095s) ][ Debug on ]