High beam
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 LT 500 Sports 2013
Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:25 pm quote
Is it good to turn the high beam on during day all the time and at night especially when traffic filtering/lane splitting? For ref I have HiD installed for both high and low but somehow think that by using high beam/additional lights such as denali will be useful for filtering and for road presence from a safety perspective.
Hooked
MP3 250
Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:28 pm quote
High beam all day. No on the high beam at night with traffic coming at you, you don't want to blind the on coming traffic. No on coming traffic, I would and do use the high beam. Helps you see stuff on the road better and sooner. It also lights up the side of the road better so you can see deer and other critters sooner.

ROD
Hooked
MP3 250
Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:13 am quote
I (like many others) have disengaged the spring and never use the "high beams only" switch position. It's actually kind of amazing what you can miss with just the high beams on. To answer your question, I've been trying to get into the habit of leaving both lights on during the day. At night if there are other cars on the road then using your high beams is more dangerous than not, at least in my opinion. If I'm all alone then I'll blast away (unless there's fog). I live in one of the worst areas in the country for deer accidents. I hit two in one year in my Mini Cooper going 65 mph. I was actually quite surprised at how well the car handled the impact. It did a lot of damage, but it was a big deer and could have easily been way worse. On the bike, though, it doesn't take a large deer to take you out, so the more visibility the better.
Hooked
Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:26 am quote
bishopthomas wrote:
I (like many others) have disengaged the spring and never use the "high beams only" switch position. It's actually kind of amazing what you can miss with just the high beams on. To answer your question, I've been trying to get into the habit of leaving both lights on during the day. At night if there are other cars on the road then using your high beams is more dangerous than not, at least in my opinion. If I'm all alone then I'll blast away (unless there's fog). I live in one of the worst areas in the country for deer accidents. I hit two in one year in my Mini Cooper going 65 mph. I was actually quite surprised at how well the car handled the impact. It did a lot of damage, but it was a big deer and could have easily been way worse. On the bike, though, it doesn't take a large deer to take you out, so the more visibility the better.
Don't think I would want to be hitting any deers, can imagine the damage. So if I read you right this spring disengage leaves both high and low lights on?, if so where is this spring and how best to disengage it.
Hooked
Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:08 am quote
is this mentioned spring in the high/low beam switch itself? is it easy to open - disengage and close the area/switch?
Hooked
2009 MP3 250
Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:35 am quote
Like the bishop, I ride with the high/low beams on day and night. Can't imagine not doing so.

The spring is a part of the switch itself. You can push the switch out from the backside (on my 250 I can reach the backside of the switch through the opening around the brake lever). On the side of the switch you'll see the coiled spring that makes the high+low beam a momentary position. With a pair of needle-nosed pliers (or some other such tool) you can pull the end of the spring out of its retaining hole. Just leave the spring in place in case you want to reattach it later.
Hooked
Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:00 am quote
scoot_florida wrote:
Like the bishop, I ride with the high/low beams on day and night. Can't imagine not doing so.

The spring is a part of the switch itself. You can push the switch out from the backside (on my 250 I can reach the backside of the switch through the opening around the brake lever). On the side of the switch you'll see the coiled spring that makes the high+low beam a momentary position. With a pair of needle-nosed pliers (or some other such tool) you can pull the end of the spring out of its retaining hole. Just leave the spring in place in case you want to reattach it later.
Interesting, by doing this we dont have to do the cabling mod to stay the lights on together with the high beam position - by taking the spring off so it doesnt pull the low beam should still be ok to shut the high beam down? I will check on my 500 what it can and can't do - but this seems an easy win as compared to modding the wires etc.
Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:20 am quote
I note the guys running both lights are 250's (1 high beam, 1 low beam). Are any 500's (2 high, 2 low) running all four lights? I think that would result in a lot of annoyance by others on the road.

I used to run my highs in the day, but once I converted to HID, the lows are much brighter.
Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500
Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:32 am quote
scoot_florida wrote:

Surely if it is wired so that high and low are on permanently it would be dazzling and dangerous for oncoming cars at night time?

I have lows, but when on high both ore on.

See BubbaJon's thread. Simple to do.

Scooter work today and secret stealth mod
Hooked
2009 MP3 250
Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:01 am quote
Just to clarify...removal of the spring does not make the high and low beams stay on permanently. It just enables the switch to remain in the "high+low" position. You can still put the switch in the "low only" and "high only" position as before.

I don't do a lot of night riding, but in the limited experience I have no driver has every 'flashed' me to indicate that the high beam is dazzling. If they did, I'd simply move the switch up one position to the "low beam only" spot.

This is on a 250cc with stock lighting. Your situation may vary, of course.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:02 am quote
Run with high and low during the day is fine. Run with high and low on at night is fine.

But, if you are leaving your high beam on when a vehicle approaches, besides breaking the law, you are being annoying and dangerous even if the oncoming vehicle doesn't flash at you. Some drivers not familiar with motorcycles will not flash because they are not sure if the bike has high beams on. This, however, does not mean they are not having trouble seeing the road.
Hooked
Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:38 am quote
Ok - thanks to you good folks - I have done my first self done mod on the scooter.

I have connected the middle 2 wires together and behold - both lights are on at high beam settings and low beam is on at the low setting - exactly what I wanted.

Checklist for usage:

1) Have both high and low on at daytime regardless of incoming or not
2) Have high and low on at night but dim to low as soon as incoming or keep low on dual carriage way in traffic flow (dual carriage way in UK is 2 lanes with one going and one coming)
3) Have both high and low on in night during traffic filtering and lane splitting.

2013-11-15 14.57.25.jpg

2013-11-15 13.34.09.jpg

Moderatus Rana
Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:42 am quote
Looks good. What HD color did you go with? Looks about 6000?
Hooked
Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:53 am quote
stickyfrog wrote:
It is 6000 - higher than that is more bluish tint which I don't prefer. This pure whitish is what I was after.
Hooked
2009 MP3 250
Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:01 am quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Run with high and low during the day is fine. Run with high and low on at night is fine.

But, if you are leaving your high beam on when a vehicle approaches, besides breaking the law, you are being annoying and dangerous even if the oncoming vehicle doesn't flash at you. Some drivers not familiar with motorcycles will not flash because they are not sure if the bike has high beams on. This, however, does not mean they are not having trouble seeing the road.
Yea, but the old cranky codgers around here will flash you if they think your turn signals are too bright. If your lights were a problem they'd communicate that to you in no uncertain terms.

The stock 250 lighting on high beam is far less a bother than some of the low beam high discharge lights on newer cars. My Mini Cooper lights up the road on low beam far better than the MP3 on high beam.
Moderatus Rana
Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:08 am quote
RiderUK wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
It is 6000 - higher than that is more bluish tint which I don't prefer. This pure whitish is what I was after.
Good choice. I went with two sets of the 5000 color for the same reason. Now if I could just find time to install them.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:21 pm quote
You're in the UK. Please do NOT use high-beam (especially if HID) during the day. If you do, please fuck right out of anywhere I might ride, thanks.

Others in locations with different sunlight conditions can have a very valid different viewpoint - but it'd be a test FAIL if you used high-beam except as suggested as suitable in the Highway Code.
Hooked
Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:32 am quote
[quote="jimc"If you do, please fuck right out of anywhere I might ride, thanks.[/quote]

why be passive aggressive and use disrespectful words? I am here to learn as a newbie you can certainly make your point and say things without using words like this. I take suggestions here from experienced users like you and others, if there is something that can keep me and others safe on the road I will give it a try but if it is threatening to others on the road I wont but I am a newbie rider and learning, so please be helpful and not use such language as it makes me angry and I feel like shining high HiD beams in your eyes.
Hooked
Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:55 am quote
Ok guys - bit of a dilemma here - could you please advise on having both beams on during day time especially in UK? am I likely to suffer reactions n the road like I did from jimc on this thread? I am confused now - did my both lights on mod yesterday and about to make a journey - I hope this is not something serious in UK to not do - I see guys with both lights lit on their bikes everyday especially during day. Are those likely to be both low beams? Please advise - but without using disrespectful words.

Update - I have just checked highway code and I have read the below, does this mean that having it on high beam during day time would be illegal:

https://www.gov.uk/rules-motorcyclists-83-to-88

Daylight riding. Make yourself as visible as possible from the side as well as the front and rear. You could wear a light or brightly coloured helmet and fluorescent clothing or strips. Dipped headlights, even in good daylight, may also make you more conspicuous. However, be aware that other vehicle drivers may still not have seen you, or judged your distance or speed correctly, especially at junctions.
Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500
Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:10 am quote
If you were driving a car would you drive during the daytime with full lights, (high beam in the US), on? Also, when you put full lights (High beam), on in a car, the dip, (lows) go off.

Also, would you try and re-wire the lights on your car so both beams stay on? I think NO.

Modern motorcycle lights are as bright as most cars, especially if you have HID's, also, if you ride with all lights on, if you want to flash someone, I reckon it would be less noticeable as you would be flashing to a lower light instead of higher.........

So imo, I would say NO. Low beams are plenty during the day and I only use my highs when there is no street lighting, or as I feel necessary to be seen.........

This also goes back to the discussion on HID's in Low light or High lights?
If you have HID's in the low lights, they are probably brighter than the highs anyway. But 4 hid's, well that's a different matter.

I am a driving instructor in Ireland and the rules for motorbikes/scooters is:
"Use you dipped headlights at all times,"
"Use headlights (high beam) at night and during the day when visibility is seriously reduced".

That explained all for me, In Ireland anyway!!!!!!!!
Hooked
Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:14 am quote
IrishTC wrote:
If you were driving a car would you drive during the daytime with full lights, (high beam in the US), on? Also, when you put full lights (High beam), on in a car, the dip, (lows) go off.

Also, would you try and re-wire the lights on your car so both beams stay on? I think NO.

Modern motorcycle lights are as bright as most cars, especially if you have HID's, also, if you ride with all lights on, if you want to flash someone, I reckon it would be less noticeable as you would be flashing to a lower light instead of higher.........

So imo, I would say NO. Low beams are plenty during the day and I only use my highs when there is no street lighting, or as I feel necessary to be seen.........

This also goes back to the discussion on HID's in Low light or High lights?
If you have HID's in the low lights, they are probably brighter than the highs anyway. But 4 hid's, well that's a different matter.

I am a driving instructor in Ireland and the rules for motorbikes/scooters is:
"Use you dipped headlights at all times,"
"Use headlights (high beam) at night and during the day when visibility is seriously reduced".

That explained all for me, In Ireland anyway!!!!!!!!
Hi IrishTC - thanks for the explanation and is reassuring coming from an instructor - my model only has 2 hid bulbs but both are bright regardless and what you say makes sense but do you think having both beams on during filtering day/night is not a good idea as well? I get very nervous when filtering between cars and always thought the more brighter and visible I am at that time is better stopping a cager turing left on me. What do you think? Otherwise I won't have my high on at all unless necessary.
Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500
Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:46 am quote
I know where you are coming from, but I still like the fact that when I flash the lights I become more visible, whereas if all the lights are on all the time, well.....

Perhaps the left hand turn scenario you mention is where you need the louder horn you were asking about???????????
Moderatus Rana
Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:01 am quote
Seems quite a few riders in the US ride with high beams on in daytime. I don't, but in bright daylight conditions it doesn't bother me at all if someone else is doing it. There are times during they day when the light is low enough for high beams to be a nuance or even dangerous.

I think of it like this: The darker it gets the more the pupil dilates. And the more dilated the pupil the greater effect of a bright light source on the eye. Just use sense I would say.
Addicted
2009 Piaggio MP3 250
Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:07 am quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Seems quite a few riders in the US ride with high beams on in daytime. I don't, but in bright daylight conditions it doesn't bother me at all if someone else is doing it. There are times during they day when the light is low enough for high beams to be a nuance or even dangerous.

I think of it like this: The darker it gets the more the pupil dilates. And the more dilated the pupil the greater effect of a bright light source on the eye. Just use sense I would say.
I do ride with my single high-beam on when there is enough sunlight, but I try to be respectful of other drivers and switch on low-beam if it becomes cloudy or I am riding down a shady street, etc.

I figure the high-beam (standard bulb) acts as a daytime running light, and helps keep me from being run over.
Hooked
MP3 250
Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:20 pm quote
I agree with RiderUK as far as language on this forum. It always bothers me when someone has to use profanity to get their point across. It feels like they are shouting in my face.
As far as both lights on at the same time I don't know how many times people have told me that one of my lights are out. I usually don't change anything that came stock with my scooter but I'm tempted to try this mod
Hooked
Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:36 pm quote
Ok, after some deliberation and feedback from all you guys - I have updated my high/low beam and filtering checklist:

1) Have low beam on at day and night time
3) Have both high and low during traffic filtering and lane splitting regardless day or night including keeping thumb on banshee horn (yet to be installed) and scooter control via rear brake only after the pulley/fuzzy upgrade due to the increased responsiveness on slow speed.

I have attached some pics of my day time lights, including both high and low as well as rear brake led during night time.

Safe riding folks.

2013-11-16 18.36.04.jpg

2013-11-16 18.35.42.jpg

2013-11-16 18.35.27.jpg

2013-11-16 18.34.54.jpg

Gilera Fuoco 500
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:27 am quote
Hi I don't wanna create new topic, so will bump this one

I wanna install additional led lights, and looking for signal from high beams. Whatever the switch (of those extra lights) is on or off, they should turn on while using hight beams.

Don't wanna cut wires if I can avoid it so I got two questions:

1. Does any of these wires belong to high beams?

2. Is it possible to disassemble this connector
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:42 am quote
Hawk1985 wrote:
Hi I don't wanna create new topic, so will bump this one

I wanna install additional led lights, and looking for signal from high beams. Whatever the switch (of those extra lights) is on or off, they should turn on while using hight beams.

Don't wanna cut wires if I can avoid it so I got two questions:

1. Does any of these wires belong to high beams?

2. Is it possible to disassemble this connector
Not sure if this helps you.
If you look at the Switch on handlebar, you can see the wire that engages the relay that will cause your High Beam to Engage.

A common topic that you can search for is removing the spring in the switch with a needle nose pliers, that way when you push on the switch that is normally spring loaded, it will stay on. That way both lights will stay on while riding which will produce a lot more light.

Good Luck,
Keith
Marietta, GA
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am quote
Wiring diagram - with colours in Italian... :

https://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/Gilera/Gilera%20Fuoco%20-%20MP3%20500/
Gilera Fuoco 500
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:29 pm quote
Yeah I saw that diagram, but it's black magic for me

But I got some idea. What about removing 1 of those 4 relays and see are lights working.
For example remove first one, turn ignition on, check is the high beam, if not turn ignition off, put relay back.
Then remove second one ...

When will find matching one remove it, take 12v bulb, put one side on battery negative, while pressing high beams button, checking those wires of relay.

Correct me if I'm wrong but electricity should go from high beam button to relay.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.6357s ][ Queries: 27 (0.1361s) ][ Debug on ]