@afflictus avatar
UTC

Hooked
vespa 100 sport x2

Hooked
@afflictus avatar
vespa 100 sport x2
UTC quote
So...the engine is off. No going back, actually once I rolled it into my garage I couldn't leave it alone. When I say garage I mean basement, and when I say basement I mean my kitchen.d

In fact its something I've been dreaming of doing for a long time only I still have my couch and this project isn't also my coffee table.

The engine is out, for rebuilding. Gaskets, seals, buffers, clutch plates, maybe bearings. We'll see what else it needs when its open.

I will be doing a rewire as well because I think there is something in there causing a surge when I ride for some reason. Or an air leak which the rebuild should pinpoint as well.[/img]
Engine out in the kitchen.
Engine out in the kitchen.
@bigben avatar
UTC

Evil
p2, jet2, lml166

Evil
@bigben avatar
p2, jet2, lml166
UTC quote
most shops will tell you you're better off running a new loom. depends entirely on the situation though, condition of the loom, how much time you have on your hands. id recommend making an engine stand for the rebuild, keep it in a fixed position.
OP
@afflictus avatar
UTC

Hooked
vespa 100 sport x2

Hooked
@afflictus avatar
vespa 100 sport x2
UTC quote
I was going to head out and get some stuff to keep it upright soon. Some wood, piping and what not.

Funny song though. I have no one to piss off though other than me so I'll have zero blues aside from what is playing on my computer.
OP
@afflictus avatar
UTC

Hooked
vespa 100 sport x2

Hooked
@afflictus avatar
vespa 100 sport x2
UTC quote
I took out the harness the other day and it was easier than I expected. I pulled out the clutch, and shifting cables at the same time since the sheathes were cracked and broken and I'd be replacing them anyway. I had already replaced the wires a couple months ago so I'll keep those as spare wound up inside the seat.

I sourced out a place for 16g wires. I just need to find a couple of the odd colors like pink and purple in 5 foot lengths. I'm going by the diagram 100% so I can refer to it. The previous harness that was made had pieces of tape on the ends and they had either come off, or the writing now looked like a foreign language. So color for color it will be. I'll also get some good shrink wrap instead of black electrical a with time and heat it becomes a black goopy mess.

I also took the seat apart since it was starting to crack and in the time indoors I've been making a pattern. I learned that the front and the back of the seat have a thick rubber that is like a buffer between the frame and the vinyl. My machine wouldn't go through it so I had to do it by hand and pliers. It will be my test seat and after it someday I will get creative.
OP
@afflictus avatar
UTC

Hooked
vespa 100 sport x2

Hooked
@afflictus avatar
vespa 100 sport x2
UTC quote
The engine is in pieces.

Its a good thing. I was prepared with many a curse word for splitting cases and drifting out bearing but it went very well. No problems with anything.

The cylinder is nice and clean with zero scoring and the rings are in good condition. The cylinder head looks like it was just blasted too. Nothing stripped or busted up. Even the kick start buffers inside looked brand new!

I do have a few questions:

Is the cruciform an automatic replacement? I think I'm going to anyway. I will post pics shortly but there is minimal rounding of the tabs. Its only 55 to change it anyway. The first gear has some minimal rounding as well, second even less. I could replace these gears just to say I did and have that piece of mind that its all good on the inside. Its another 45 dollars to have that satisfaction.

But where is the line? I will post a pic as soon as I load them on the computer.
OP
@afflictus avatar
UTC

Hooked
vespa 100 sport x2

Hooked
@afflictus avatar
vespa 100 sport x2
UTC quote
Parts from SIP are in town, should hit the door tomorrow. Ignition from Ebay/india should arrive very shortly and the bearings in two weeks. Funny, they are the local order and take the longest.

Last night I put two huge slabs of cardboard on the floor and splayed out my old harness. I found to be quite the puzzle to make it from the diagram. I found it easier to use them both as a reference/confirmation of what wire is which.

I've labelled which wire will go where, and I'm having trouble finding particular colors in less than 25-100 foot spools. So I may alter the colored diagram. But I'll find a way.

Pics soon, I have some issues with the camera dumping the photos.
⬆️    About 9 months elapsed    ⬇️
@atomic_hank avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS269ie, 100 Sport (x2), Vespa 100

Hooked
@atomic_hank avatar
GTS269ie, 100 Sport (x2), Vespa 100
UTC quote
How did your project turn out?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0651s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0369s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]