Bodywork!
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports Previous12
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:55 am quote
sbm wrote:
Very very nice work indeed. For the tools and primer and such, what sources did you use?
I picked up a cheap (made in China) hammer and dolly set from a big tool store in Hayward, CA. I think Harbor Freight carries something similar.
sbm wrote:
Also, does any old auto primer work?
You should use self-etching primer against the bare metal. Use high-build primer on top of that for smoothing out the bumps and filling in any minor depressions.
Vespa 150LX
Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:39 am quote
body work
How do you remove the panel so that you can get to the body for work?
GTS 250
Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:45 pm quote
beading
with the glove box and and floor panel off it looks like it would be easy to replace the beading around the side. I scuffed one of mine and I want to replace it but the dealership told me it was real difficult. From your photos, it looks like it would be right there. Is all you need to take off the floor and glove box?

thanks
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:43 pm quote
Re: beading
shisko wrote:
with the glove box and and floor panel off it looks like it would be easy to replace the beading around the side. I scuffed one of mine and I want to replace it but the dealership told me it was real difficult. From your photos, it looks like it would be right there. Is all you need to take off the floor and glove box?
Yeah, that's pretty much the trick for the legshield beading. It's a lot of work to take all those pieces off, though.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:13 am quote
shisko wrote:

thanks
the difficulty is actually getting the beading on without damaging it.
removing the flootboard and glovebox is somewhat of a tedious task as well. lots of fasteners and jimmy-jacking stuff around to get the panels off and then lined back up and working properly.

best,
-greasy
Addicted
gt200
Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 am quote
Hey Jess, I don't really know how mechanically incline your were before (You did do rear led a stuff early on), but you'll really come a long way. Now I'm sure it help that it a CannonRATballer bike, but you work is look very clean and prof. so far.

Good stuff, man

x
Hooked
PX 150
Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:17 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
shisko wrote:

thanks
the difficulty is actually getting the beading on without damaging it.
removing the flootboard and glovebox is somewhat of a tedious task as well. lots of fasteners and jimmy-jacking stuff around to get the panels off and then lined back up and working properly.

best,
-greasy
I replaced the beading on my wife's GTS without totally removing either the glove box or the floorboard. You can remove the fasteners and pull them away enough to do the job--it is a bit of a PITA, especially to get the beading to fit correctly around the bends and where the glove box meets the floorboard.
GTS 250
Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:45 pm quote
I've checked out and will rely on the glovebox removal post that Jess put in the technical library. Any tips/things to watch out for in the floor board removal? -Cheers
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:23 pm quote
xman wrote:
Hey Jess, I don't really know how mechanically incline your were before (You did do rear led a stuff early on), but you'll really come a long way. Now I'm sure it help that it a CannonRATballer bike, but you work is look very clean and prof. so far.
I'm a professional amateur. I'm mechanically inclined, but I rarely do any single thing long enough or frequently enough to become an expert at it. So I basically go from one project to another, figuring things out as I go along and relying a lot on google for research into this and that.

I kinda like it that way. Learning new skills is really what interests me most.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:26 pm quote
shisko wrote:
I've checked out and will rely on the glovebox removal post that Jess put in the technical library. Any tips/things to watch out for in the floor board removal? -Cheers
When removing the glovebox, be careful with the bottom corners -- they're sharp enough to scratch the paint on the floorboards.

Nothing special about the floorboards themselves. You've got to remove the outer strips of rubber, being careful not to tear them, to get to the screws. There's also a big screw under the battery compartment that you have to get out.

Once all the screws are removed, there's some bending and flexing of the floorboard piece required to get it to let go of the frame.
Molto Verboso
GT200

Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:31 pm quote
New pics please!
Molto Verboso
1974 Rally 200
Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:57 pm quote
I know its kinda top secrety, but here is a shot of Jess doing a test-ride of the bike with its current mods... cool how he got the mag-lev thing going on.

Oh, Genie and Greasy happened to be in town, so there was plenty of room for G-peeps....

jessTestDrive.jpg
The other dude is some random hitchhiker they picked up

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:04 pm quote
you can't see it in the pic above but he's also installed a really nice bar in the passenger area
Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....
Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:04 pm quote
genie wrote:
you can't see it in the pic above but he's also installed a really nice bar in the passenger area
I'm assuming it's not a crash bar...
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports Previous12
[ Time: 0.2834s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0645s) ][ Debug on ]