Rear Rack for LX150
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
Vespa LX150
Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:32 pm quote
I've been to the usual parts sites....Are there any "non" vespa made aftermarket rear racks on the market? I'm just trying to see all my alternatives before making the purchase. Thanks!
Doug
Ossessionato
Several - see sig
Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:02 pm quote
Just for reference, here's the one that comes with the LX top case.

http://smorris.smugmug.com/gallery/962834
Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...
Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:52 pm quote
I got an aftermarket folding rear-rack from Scooter Parts Direct (GREAT vendor -- have bought from them twice now) but they have a non-folding version for sale on their eBay store:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vespa-LX-Chrome-Rear-Rack-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ84149QQitemZ4614609539

I think you're looking at it bottom side up in the photo, but a nice alternative to a folding rack but keeps with the retro/chrome theme of the LX. I bought this one (see image below) from them via their website for about $20 less than what it's advertised for at scooterwest.com:

Very easy to install and works well.

[EDITED for clarity]
Enthusiast
2006 LX50 (Florida), 2007 LX125 (Italy)
Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:00 pm quote
i bought the same (folding) rack as robotribe, though from scooterwest, and i love it!

does what it's supposed to, looks great, and seems very well made.
Molto Verboso
None. Maybe again someday when Michelle won't worry.
Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:26 pm quote
We have the folding rack with back rest from scooterwest. We just installed a topcase and took off the rack/back rest (long story). We might be selling the folding rack/back rest now but I'm not sure. Look in the gallery under "here is our gt200 and lx150" and you can see what it looks like.

Doug
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:06 pm quote
I just got a Piaggio Chrome Folding Rear Rack for my LX 150. Looks really nice and the Vespa plate stays intact on the rear unlike the Scooterwest version seems to show.

The rack is solid and the springs are amazingly stiff. The rack appears to be just like the one on the GTS250 which has a cool little plastic clip that keeps the rack in the up or down position. Mine doesn't have one. do any of you know if it should have come with one of those little clips?

I'll make some pictures of the new rack tomorrow.

steve
Enthusiast
Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:20 pm quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
I just got a Piaggio Chrome Folding Rear Rack for my LX 150. Looks really nice and the Vespa plate stays intact on the rear unlike the Scooterwest version seems to show.
forgot to point that out - that is definently the case on mine, no vespa logo anymore.
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
The rack appears to be just like the one on the GTS250 which has a cool little plastic clip that keeps the rack in the up or down position. Mine doesn't have one.
mine either, and i've always thought something of the sort would be useful! (1 less bungee cord to carry around ) does anyone know of a surrogate solution for aftermarket racks?
Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...
Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:13 am quote
[quote="zipmon"]
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
The rack appears to be just like the one on the GTS250 which has a cool little plastic clip that keeps the rack in the up or down position. Mine doesn't have one.
mine either, and i've always thought something of the sort would be useful! (1 less bungee cord to carry around ) does anyone know of a surrogate solution for aftermarket racks?
I made up my own solution for lack of a clip. I don't have any pictures right now, but what I did was buy the smallest leather dog collar I could find at the pet store, cut it down to size and added an extra hole to make it tight around the bars. It works well, looks great (very retro, and brown leather with Daring Plum is perfect) and only cost me about 5 bucks. Plus, it keeps the folding part of the rack from vibrating when you're warming up the engine in the morning.

TA DAAA!
Enthusiast
Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:29 pm quote
robotribe wrote:
I made up my own solution for lack of a clip. I don't have any pictures right now, but what I did was buy the smallest leather dog collar I could find at the pet store, cut it down to size and added an extra hole to make it tight around the bars. It works well, looks great (very retro, and brown leather with Daring Plum is perfect) and only cost me about 5 bucks. Plus, it keeps the folding part of the rack from vibrating when you're warming up the engine in the morning.

TA DAAA!
great! thanks for the tip!
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:28 pm quote
I made these photos of my new Vespa rack for the LX150. It is a Piaggio product. I carried my 20 pound computer backpack to work today, just laid it on and used two bungee cords. You can see in the closeup that the Vespa logo remains on the scooter when you mount the rack.

I really am glad I bought the rack now that I see it on the scooter. I just couldn't get used to the topcase.

I also called the dealer and they said indeed it should have a plastic clip and he would get me one.

steve

vespa-rack.jpg
This rack is solid.

vespa-rack-cu.jpg

vespa-rack-scooter.jpg

Hooked
Vespa LX 150
Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:15 pm quote
I got this one from Motorsport Scooters.

Works great. You can also remove the fold-down spring rack so you get basically a platform that is sturdy enough to carry things like a boxed up bicycle.
Hooked
Vespa LX150
Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:55 pm quote
Thanks Everyone!
Doug
2015 Spring Gathering - Little Switzerland, NC   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2451s ][ Queries: 34 (0.1261s) ][ Debug on ]