GS 150 VS5 Stator wire setup
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Hooked
Enough for the wife to tell me to slow down
Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:58 am quote
I am hoping someone here can explain to me if the current stator cables can work on a GS150. I sent my engine to a mechanic to check every think for me. got it back today and was told the stator was wired wrong and needed rewiring.

I checked the line diagrams on Scooterhelp and they look nothing like this GS150 stator cable

Please someone help I would like to get this old girl on the road again.

She is a standard 6v DC system.

Pics are attached

2014-06-25 13.34.41.jpg

2014-06-25 13.34.52.jpg

Hooked
Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:00 am quote
I think I have just answered my question with a previous Post I made. Need assistance with GS150 Stator Plate and lead colours seems the stator I sent to my mechanic was correct and he has changed it to suit what he thinks is right

so the next question is with the current wire set up can I still run it like an original wire set up.... if so do I need to add a wire somewhere and how to I now mark the current cables to match the original diagram
Enthusiast
VS1, VS4, VS5, VSC, VSE, VSX
Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:27 am quote
I was recently in the task of rebuilding my vs4 stator also, i cant teel you from teh pics but it should have the 2 lighting coils wired in paralell ( goes out as yellow wire), and the charging one floating , with the 2 ends going to the rectifier ( thru black wires ) .
I broke the bakelite junction board nd solder them without it , i also rewire the coils, and was trying to found how to do that ( wire width , quantity of rounds, etc) to no avail , trying to know the differences between charging, ignition and lighting coils , anyway after some trys and mesuring with an amp tester i could have one charging well but still looking the original specs ...
Hooked
Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:53 am quote
Thanks Medtech

That is some super awesome collection of scooters you have there
Hooked
Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:33 am quote
So was at my rewinder earlier with my mechanic

Are there any photos anyone may have of the GS150 stator plate?

The coil the feeds the regulator how many windings and what gauge wire is used?
The coil for the lights can you also confirm the number of windings and what gauge wire is used?
Also the Ohm readings when tested with a Ohmeter for all these.

And the last thing is of the 2 coil one is much bigger in size is this the coil that feeds to the regulator or is it one of the smaller ones.

I donít want this stator to be messed up again. Please any help would be great.

I will be asking the same advice from Scooter Lounge, Scooterhelp, Yahoo groups Ė Vespa Sports and Bill Drake just because I know with the GS150 actual knowledge on them is somewhat scares so will spread these questions far and wide hoping I will get answers
Hooked
Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:15 am quote
If this a later DC ignition model, why have connected the points/condenser wire to the battery charging coil???
Hooked
Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:58 am quote
firekdp wrote:
If this a later DC ignition model, why have connected the points/condenser wire to the battery charging coil???
This is exactly why I was complaining. the Mechanic had never seen a GS150 stator and thought it was wired incorrectly so decided to rewire the same as the standard Sprint / VBB style.

but now that it has been rewired the auto Electrician says he wants to make sure that the coils are correctly wound with the correct number of coils and the correct gauge of wire.

I am sure it is correct so he would basically just need to rewire and not re wind. but he is adamant he needs the number of coils and gauge so he doesn't burn the battery out or something like that...

So if someone can help with just the no of windings and gauge of wire used on the charging coil at least
Enthusiast
Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:25 am quote
You can also buy the coils (charging n ign n light) in SIP, the lighting ones are the sme for vbb, vb1, etc., the problem is with the chrging one, the theory says that to charge battery you need high amp n low voltage, this means wider wire and less windings , the lighting and ignition ones are the opposite, as much voltgae as possible with less amp , so thin wire and many windings
This is the theory but .., from what ive seen they re almost tha same ,
My interest (aside from just curiosity) is mainly because i wnt to have an alternative if my battery dies , so i wondered wich is teh difference btwn an ignition vbb (or similar) coil nd a lighting one wich i had in my GS , why cant feed the HT coil with the lighting one (AC) instead thn the battery (DC)? do i have to change anything? HT coil? lighting coil?
I did this and even put a switch so i can chnge from DC to AC in case i neede but it didnt work as well s it should, it worked but failing sometimes ...
There re also other models that came with battery and also with charging coils but not all of them works in GSs because the GS charging coil must have 2 wires cause the rectifier is a fulll wave one .
Once you have the stator ready you can test the charg coil by putting an amp tester betw the battery and the rectifier if you need further assistance with this ask ..
We really need a definitive GS electrics tech reference
You can see a photo of an original VS5 stator here :
https://picasaweb.google.com/102638843425960944880/2013OctubreVespaGsVs5?noredirect=1
Hooked
Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:04 am quote
medtech wrote:
You can also buy the coils (charging n ign n light) in SIP, the lighting ones are the sme for vbb, vb1, etc., the problem is with the chrging one, the theory says that to charge battery you need high amp n low voltage, this means wider wire and less windings , the lighting and ignition ones are the opposite, as much voltgae as possible with less amp , so thin wire and many windings
Thank you for this reply

If I look at my coils the Lighting coils are the same but the Charging coil is definitely using bigger gauge wire and is bigger looking in general in diameter.

I think I am going to tell the guy doing the rewind that he must just rewire it to make it connect like the original and not re wind the coils if I need I will order the charging coil from SIP.... they not very cheap though $$$ especially when we deal in the exchange rate. that coil is almost more than what I buy the scooter for .
Enthusiast
Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:23 am quote
themod1 wrote:
medtech wrote:
Thank you for this reply

If I look at my coils the Lighting coils are the same but the Charging coil is definitely using bigger gauge wire and is bigger looking in general in diameter.

I think I am going to tell the guy doing the rewind that he must just rewire it to make it connect like the original and not re wind the coils if I need I will order the charging coil from SIP.... they not very cheap though $$$ especially when we deal in the exchange rate. that coil is almost more than what I buy the scooter for .
Yes, im agree with you , I think you can rewire it yourself, and i suggest to keep the originl colours, there is no green one originally, check the electrics scheme .., to the junction box comes 2 blacks ( from the charg coil ) and one yellow ( lights ) and one white ( earth) and goes out one red to the ht coil the green exists but not there, ( i think it is green the one from the battery ti the ign key )
Enthusiast
Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:07 am quote
Here it is a gs150 stator for sale on subito.it , 100E , not cheap but almost the same a as the repro coil in sip , and also you can appreciate here the connections and teh coils differences
http://www.subito.it/accessori-moto/vespa-gs-150-statore-originale-usato-da-revisionar-milano-89857457.htm
Hooked
Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:55 pm quote
medtech wrote:
Here it is a gs150 stator for sale on subito.it , 100E , not cheap but almost the same a as the repro coil in sip , and also you can appreciate here the connections and teh coils differences
http://www.subito.it/accessori-moto/vespa-gs-150-statore-originale-usato-da-revisionar-milano-89857457.htm
Thank you I also got some pretty good advice from an auto electrician in Denmark who has done some work on the GS150's there. I will add his email to this he also found the Ignition coil at Scooter works for $30.00 which is I think a much better price.

I will tell my auto electrician to leave the windings as is and just rewire to match the original and if I have electrical issues on the bike I know where to look first for a replacement coil.

the guy from Denmark also sent me his version of the wire diagram which helps with the actual connections on the stator the Scooter help version if brilliant but you can not really see the stator lay out.

Wire diagram from Jan Haugstad from the Vespa Club Denmark

"My name is Jan and I am the one who wrote about the GS150 at our Copenhagen website www.vespa-klub.dk
I have done two 100% restorations on GS150 VS5 several years ago. One is attached.

Of course I will try to help If I can.

You don't mention why the stator had to be rewired - may be it was totally not working? The first problem I see from your mail is that you have wired it according to Sprint/VBB. This is all wrong!
Now, the GS150 has a battery-driven ignition. This is absolutely uniqe to this model only. The correct diagram is attached, text is also in english.
It is absolutely mandatory that a good battery is used, or it will never start. The ignition alone draws 2 amps.

I can not at the moment find a picture of the stator plate but will try later.
As you see from the diagram the stator has three coils. Two are identical and are connected in parallel and these supply AC voltage to the front light.
The third coil is different and the voltage from that is rectified to charge the battery.

I really can't tell you the windings as I have never had to rewire, sorry. But her are some usefull links:

http://www.scooterworks.com/feeding-coil--vs5--gs-150--products-3535.php#.U6x9Aig9jAw
http://www.scooter-center.com/product/7672151/Ignition+coil+OEM+QUALITY+Vespa+GS150+GS3+VS3T+till+VS5T+GS160+GS4+VSB1T?lang=en

Also, the original rectifier has to be replaced with a modern silicon one. The old one will drain your battery even when key is off.

My website was original in english too, but the work to update it was too much for me.

I hope this helped a little, otherwise please write again, I may be able to help you further.

Jan Haugsted
www.vespa-klub.dk"

GS150 wire diagram.PDF
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GS150 wire diagram.PDF
 Filesize:  13.24 KB

Enthusiast
Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:18 am quote
Yes , I know Jan's texts , were very useful for me, i think you dont have to rewind the coils at least not for now, and you dont need an ignition coil if you re going to keep the original install, GSs dont have IGN coil , the ignition power comes from the battery , so instead of an ignition coil it has a charging coil to feed the battery,.
The HT coil is feeded by the battery not by the int. coil, if you connect a battery ( it could be 6 or 12v) to the ht coil and the points and condenser to teh other terminal you can run the bike , even without any internal coil.
The battery can be a dry or gel alarm one , they re cheap and works well ( 20 usd ) and you can put it in any position.
the orig selenium rectifier usually degrades thru time so is better to change it for a SILICON one , a diode bridge that you can buy in any electronic store for 10 or so usd but dont do that without testing teh orig rectifier , may be it works or works not perfect but enough , this can be tested easily
Enthusiast
GS-150 VS4
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:02 pm quote
full wave rectifier
I wonder if you need smoothing capacitors or a voltage regulator ic after the bridge rectifier? Or is there already one in the system? Perhaps the capacitor that's in the stator does this?

It would create a smoother and stronger dc output I think...Still learning here.

One of the detail pictures previously linked to has an interesting looking rectifier setup with four resistors or capacitors (?) connected above a brown fiber cover plate thingy. What are those?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_C1aXYgjDwb2OBnYOkLIQC04YsDAr_DUoBJjYn_QOWlb6ANdL_TnnGi7is4efs0tfoh5tTrXEe8ZQ0HPr_JNPvxn8v_DREASIuVXC3Qu

I am also considering making my own replacement wiring harness using somewhat thicker wires. I don't think this will harm the system and may even improve it, while allowing for future conversion to 12 volts. Any thoughts?

In other words why do I have to buy a pre made wiring harness when I can make my own possibly more robust version? I am not yet aware of how actual connecting wire thicknesses may affect the system if at all. Usually using thicker wire is no problem in a circuit I think. Thinner wire may cause issues if it cannot handle the load of course. My understanding is unfortunately rather vague here.,.
Enthusiast
GS-150 VS4
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:16 am quote
Aha. Those must be diodes then. I think I figured out the answer to my own question. Sorry about that.
Enthusiast
GS-150 VS4
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:12 pm quote
Sorry about those last postings. I was talking about off topic there. I had read something about bridge rectifiers and was trying to understand how they work. I now realize it converts DC from the battery to AC, and that charging the battery needs DC again. I think.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2150s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0365s) ][ Debug on ]