Did my motor kerplode? update
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:04 am quote
Now you need to buy another good spare to put on the shelf . Don't forget that security blanket.
Ossessionato
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:24 am quote
NightWing wrote:
People will argue over diet, health issues, motor oil and gas.

"I have eaten a pound of bacon every day for 20 years without any problems."

"I have smoked 2 packs of cigarettes for 30 years and never been sick a day in my life."

"I have used XYZ oil in all my vehicles and never had a breakdown."

"I have run cat piss in my Vespa for 30,00 miles without a problem."

The truth is that undesirable effects don't follow a definite timetable, so people sometimes claim success by saying nothing has happened to them so far, so all is well and good with what they are doing. Of course, there are always exceptions, but the odds are greater that pushing the envelope can bite you in the ass. Even Russian Roulette can be safe five times in a row.
Not good comparisons, running lower octane will kill a motor, just a matter of how long and that is determined by how they ride. Ride gentle and no big hills or strain on the motor it could go for a long time.
But lots of full throttle and hills with lots of weight, you WILL have a hole in your piston Much sooner.
So there is no debate, it's all in how long you want your motor to last, I don't buy and sell my stuff, so I want it to last as long as possible.
What I laugh at is people who say, " I've owned three of these and put 25,000 miles on each one and never had and issue. Well damn, you can go 25,000 miles on a motor by just topping off the original oil and have no issues. It's how it runs when it has 75,000 or 100,000 miles on it that counts
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150
Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:48 pm quote
My point was, in all those situations, common sense dictates that there will eventually be a problem that will lead to a disaster. Just because it hasn't happened yet, is no assurance it won't. Low octane fuel will definitely destroy an engine. It is just hard to convince some people that it will, regardless of their opinions.
Ossessionato
LX190
Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:25 am quote
vintage red matthew wrote:
I wasn't sure why my thread got new responses then I saw that it had morphed into another octane debate.
You're such a troublemaker.
Addicted
GTV300 (wife's)
Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:07 am quote
[quote="WEB-Tech"]
NightWing wrote:
What I laugh at is people who say, " I've owned three of these and put 25,000 miles on each one and never had and issue. Well damn, you can go 25,000 miles on a motor by just topping off the original oil and have no issues. It's how it runs when it has 75,000 or 100,000 miles on it that counts
Kind of like bending a paper clip. Yes you can do it several times but at some point it will break. How far and maybe how fast you bend it will effect the point of final "failure" but at some point it will break.

The "pinging" in an engine running too low a octane fuel is putting a stress on parts, piston and rings being the main ones. This "pinging" may or may not be loud enough to be heard.
Ossessionato
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:52 am quote
[quote="kshansen"]
WEB-Tech wrote:
NightWing wrote:
Kind of like bending a paper clip. Yes you can do it several times but at some point it will break. How far and maybe how fast you bend it will effect the point of final "failure" but at some point it will break.

The "pinging" in an engine running too low a octane fuel is putting a stress on parts, piston and rings being the main ones. This "pinging" may or may not be loud enough to be heard.
In most cases on a scooter or motorcycle there is too much noise to hear any pinging that may be happening, unlike in a car.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150
Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:07 am quote
[quote="kshansen"]
WEB-Tech wrote:
NightWing wrote:

Excuse me, I did not write that.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:09 pm quote
znomit wrote:
vintage red matthew wrote:
I wasn't sure why my thread got new responses then I saw that it had morphed into another octane debate.
You're such a troublemaker.
😇
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123
[ Time: 0.1033s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0234s) ][ Debug on ]