My new ride: Peugeot Citystar 200i
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Addicted
Peugeot Citystar 200i, Vespa PX 200
Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:15 pm quote
Call me a heretic, a lunatic, a constipated duck. I loved my LX but she let me down and I'm all in tears. So I got this replacement, a Peugeot Citystar 200. It hasn't stalled and always starts up -- so far. I have 1022 km on the clock.

IMG_9907.JPG

IMG_9896.JPG

IMG_9897.JPG

Ossessionato
BV 350 (16) , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018
Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:22 pm quote
Looks like a nice ride ! Let's see how she does long term...
Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly
Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:49 pm quote
Hyvää päivää

(and that's all I know from my Finnish in-laws)

Congratulations - Very nice!!! How is the storage under the seat?
Addicted
Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm quote
Hyvää päivää ja turvallisia kilometrejä.

The under seat storage is big.

IMG_9883.JPG

Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly
Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:00 pm quote
Now I am officially envious. That's the thing about international forums - seeing all of the shiny things that never come to the US
Addicted
Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:44 am quote
My Peugeot has 4250 km on the clock now. I recently did an extensive tour in Eastern Finland, Southern Finland and Western Finland. The longest day was a little under 800 km in distance travelled. The Citystar worked without a hickup and the weather was just right for the job -- occasionally as high as 30 degrees Celsius.

Imatra_Dam_Dry.jpg
Imatra dam.

Imatra_Dam.jpg
My Peugeot posing next to the old dam in Imatra.

Imatra_Dam_Water_Reservoir.jpg
Imatra new dam water reservoir.

Karkisten_Silta_Bridge.jpg
Kärkisten Silta Bridge.

Karkisten_Silta_Bridge_View.jpg
View from the bridge down to lake Päijänne.

Near_Jaala_Finland_Peugeot_Citystar_200i_2.jpg
Somewhere near Jaala.

Verla_Paper_Mill_Museum.jpg
Verla Paper Mill Museum.

Rauma_Old_Town_Peugeot_Citystar_200i.jpg
Rauma old town.

Rauma_City_Hall.jpg
Rauma Town Hall.

Porvoo.jpg
A short stop in Porvoo.

Porvoo_Old_Town.jpg
Porvoo old town.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:24 pm quote
Okay, you are a constipated duck! Now that we have that out of the way....

Nice looking bike. We don't have much (any) experience with the Peugeot scooters over here, which is too bad. Always good to have another worthy competitor. Glad you are enjoying the bike and I am very impressed by the photos of your adventures.
Hooked
Vespa Marietta
Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:26 pm quote
I'd call you a lucky duck. That had to be an awesome trip!
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:46 pm quote
Looks like a direct descentant of the Elyseo and Elystar lines, both of which were great scoots and technological leaders.

The Elyseo was amongst the first fuel injected scooters on the market in 1999. The Elyseo 50cc 2T (!) incorporated Orbital's direct fuel injection system. In 2002, the Elystar offered ABS.

We rode rental Elyseos for a couple of years before moving here, and really liked them. The rental shop owner's wife still rides a 2002, and it has been a reliable scooter.

Enjoy.
Molto Verboso
LML star
Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:55 pm quote
i had a 100cc 2 stroke eleseo

was ace and had loads of storage

sold it to a bloke who was desperate for a new scoot to get to work who quite frankly destroyed it

then wanted to sell it back to me for more then he paid
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:22 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
We don't have much (any) experience with the Peugeot scooters over here, which is too bad. Always good to have another worthy competitor.
While Peugeot never officially nor intentionally sold in the US market, they were grey market imported to the US around 2000 - 2003 and sold quite well. Guy in FL set himself up as Peugeot's licensed importer to Bermuda (or some other Caribbean Island) and then trans-shipped them to Miami. Sold them through a pretty good US network of legitimate dealerships, who didn't catch the scheme. At the time, US Customs wasn't doing much about non DOT/EPA scooters.

The dealer I knew in Seattle that sold them said the guy in FL had a complete operation, and provided Peugeot's recommended spares package to dealers, plus back up parts support, etc. Paperwork all looked kosher. Only hint that something was off was that the scooters lacked side reflectors and had a headlight On/Off switch, and the tenth VIN position was a zero, but the importer had a believable story for all of that. The Seattle dealer was successfully selling them for about 18 months when the importer's scheme collapsed.

It's not clear whether Peugeot or Customs caught on first, but a big shipment of scooters was impounded at the Port of Miami by Customs and Peugeot terminated his license for Bermuda (or wherever) at the same time. He couldn't bring them out of Customs and couldn't ship them and sell them as a distributor in the Caribbean Island to which they had been officially imported. Not sure what the guy did, other than go bankrupt.

Peugeot did not totally "orphan" the scooters sold in the US, but offered to provide parts support directly to owners. My dealer friend sold the machines he had in stock at cost, as they had no warranty, nor could he offer direct parts support. He'd service them, but the owner had to supply any parts he didn't have left in stock.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 ie Super Sport 2011
Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:33 am quote
Khaosaming, just curious - What an earth happened to Your LX?!
Addicted
Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:40 am quote
It let me down again when I needed it the most. The weather was at its finest and I needed to go to a scooter rally. She said no.

My LX developed those notorious stalling/starting issues that plagued my ride last year when it was three months at the dealer's shop waiting for parts. I sold it as it was and got myself a new ride -- the Peugeot Citystar 200.

To be honest, I still miss my LX. I could never love the Citystar like I loved my LX. Sadly it wasn't meant to be. The LX was a good ride at its best while it lasted (18 500 km) but too unreliable for my use.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 ie Super Sport 2011
Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:11 am quote
Sorry to hear that You had those stalling/starting issues. Did they ever found out the reason for stalling at the dealer's shop? But anyway, Your new ride looks pretty good also and maybe it is better suited for long road trips.
Hooked
1980 P200E, 2012 SYM HD200 Evo
Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:16 am quote
Your Peugeot is a very nice looking scooter.

It reminds me of the SYM CityCom. Hope it continues to work out great for you!
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:04 am quote
I really like it but what happened with your LX.
Addicted
GTS 300 ie - traded in; Honda CB300FA; Honda Ruckus scooter
Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:38 am quote
@khaosaming. Nice pics. Looks like a nice scooter. Could you write a review, so at least we get some feel for it? Or, even better, a YouTube video review? Why did you decide to buy that Peugeot rather than a scooter from Taiwan or Japan (known for their reliability)?
Addicted
Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:22 am quote
AloreJ wrote:
Did they ever found out the reason for stalling at the dealer's shop?
--------------------------
Yes, they found out something was broken under the valve cover. They changed some parts including the camchain that was affected. Then it ran for the next 9000 km and the same thing happens again. Apparently, the three valve engine only lasts so long with my type of user. After the repair it started OK, but the engine was always rough and would sometimes stall. I could live with an occasional hickup and stalling but a dead engine that you can't revive when needed is a big no-no in my books.
Michael B. wrote:
Could you write a review, so at least we get some feel for it? [...] Why did you decide to buy that Peugeot rather than a scooter from Taiwan or Japan...?
----------------------------------
I had been eyeing Peugeot scooters for quite some time. The only reason not to try was the price. The importer had some 2013 models considerably discounted (the price went down 1000 euro) so I grabbed myself one.

I like scooters with a flat floorboard. Those with a center tunnel must be fine and the frame rigid but they are less scooter like and in that they miss the point.

Here's a short review of a 125cc Citystar I found on the web:

http://www.2commute.co.uk/2013/05/31/road-tests/peugeot-citystar-125/

My first impressions when I got my hands on the Citystar were that it's pretty high and the engine has lots of more grunt when compared to the LX 150 I had. Yet the difference in displacement is only 35cc. The Peugeot 200i is in reality 190cc but it's liquid-cooled. It claims 19 hp and the top speed is 123 according to the manufacturer.

The jump from the Vespa to the world of plastics was revealing. The Peugeot's panels do not fit tightly and they make some noise -- especially the windshield that shakes and rubs itself against the body of the scooter making a rubbery sound. The engine itself is silent and has a pleasing sound to it.

The speedometer is very optimistic -- about 15 %. Situated at the bottom of a round recess, it's also hard to read and the sun reflects from the glass. 115 indicated is 100 km/h on my GPS. Highest figure I've reached was 155 km/h. I suppose that is pretty close to a real 123 or 125 km/h.

I was surpised to see that the battery is conventional, ie. not maintenance-free. I'd have expected otherwise. Also, there was no tool set to go with the bike. The rear shocks are adjustable with a Phillips screw driver. Just use the shaft to turn the spring ring.

Consumption is 3.5--4 litres per 100 km, even less if one is easy on the throttle. The fuel tank is 9 litres giving a range of 250--270 before one has to start looking for a place to fill up. I once ran out of fuel and had to push the scooter 2.5 km to a station nearby. At 155 kg with 28 degrees Celsius weather the push was a feat on my part. The engine stopped at 308 km. The fuel filler is located outside on the left side under the seat behind a hatch. The tank itself is under the floorboard. I actually like filling up the Peugeot more than my LX. No spills and the neck is visible.

The Citystar is equipped with a centre stand and a side stand. The side stand is almost impossible to find as the body panels obscure the view. Moreover, the side stand does not secure the bike. A slight push from behind and the Peugeot is on its side.

On service. The interval is first service at 500 (I missed that, had it done at 1000 instead), then every 5000 km. I can't possibly understand in my mind why the oil dipstick has been buried almost out of reach in a deep recess behind the silencer (sorry, I have no picture). Luckily for a tyre change, though, the muffler is bolted on the downpipe and can be removed in no time. The Citystar has a paper oil filter and an oil screen fitted to the drain plug. Kymco 300 oil filter fits, 6 euro -- original Peugeot 26 euro. The parts are more expensive to buy than Piaggio's. A belt, for instance, is 65 euro (Peugeot) and 45 (Piaggio). Everything seems 50 % more valuable. I have yet to find a service manual for my Peugeot Citystar 200i. Anyone know about a link?

Pros:

+ Made in France
+ Good looks
+ Peppy, fast engine, highway capable
+ Big underseat storage space
+ Stable at high speeds
+ Price when discounted

Cons:

- Plastic parts do not fit tightly, clunks and rattles
- Fuel consumption could be lower
- Seat height
- Short maintenance intervals and expensive parts
- Hardly any service info available on the web

On Monday while returning home from a 250 km trip I hit some debris on the freeway. It was a blown rear tyre from a lorry. The tyre part hit my scooter in the lower left corner. No real damage, but some scratches. Hey, it's plastic. At least I can change the part and it will be like new again.

Debris_hit_on_freeway.JPG
The damage from a blown-up lorry tyre.

Peugeot_Citystar_200i.JPG

Yuasa_Battery_Citystar.JPG
What, no maintenance-free battery?

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250
Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:25 am quote
Nice looking scooter and great pictures of your trip.

From the pictures it's evident that you had a great time.
Molto Verboso
Primavera ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300
Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:04 am quote
Is it the general seat height (too high or too low?) or is it the distance between the floor board and the seat? So far, I have never found a higher floor board to seat distance than on the LX.
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125/Kymco AK550 I don't care. You can quote me.
Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:11 am quote
glide
Just like their cars they are built to a price and have a nasty cheap feel to them.

Sorry.

Bill x
Addicted
Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:12 am quote
Der Blechfahrer wrote:
Is it the general seat height (too high or too low?) or is it the distance between the floor board and the seat? So far, I have never found a higher floor board to seat distance than on the LX.
No, the distance from the top of the seat to the floorboard is just fine, in fact lower than on the LX. It's the general height and width of the seat to the ground, which is a bit more than the LX. I can't get both of my feet flat on the ground simultaniously, only tiptoe. I'm vertically challenged, 5'7" approximately.

This relative height gives you an advantage, though. On the Citystar you have a good view of the road ahead above the roofs of the cars in front of you.
Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly
Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:00 am quote
Thanks for the pics - Finland is beautiful, and I can see why Finns settled in our area. Here is a view of the San Juan Islands towards Mt. Baker.

GeneralView.jpg

Addicted
Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:43 am quote
@Voneschenbach

That landscape looks more like Norway. In Finland, we have lakes. Did I say we have lakes, ponds, and lakes... But no mountains to speak of.

By the way, here's a picture of the Citystar's dipstick. Kind of hard to unscrew.

Peugeot_Citystar_200i_Oil_Dipstick.JPG
Oil dipstick. Drop the silencer or open up your wallet and take it to the shop.

Addicted
Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:00 pm quote
I decided that removing the pet carrier gives a better access to the battery (for removal/charging) and the dipstick (for oil fill-ups).

Peugeot_Citystar_Pet_Carrier_Removal.JPG

Peugeot_Citystar_Pet_Carrier_Removal_Battery_Access.JPG

Peugeot_Citystar_Pet_Carrier_Removal_Dipstick_Access.JPG

Enthusiast
None
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:44 am quote
BHP?
In the thread it says 19bhp,but on the Peugeot site it states 19Kw,which is correct?,if it's bhp.they need to sort the website out.
Addicted
GTV 300
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:58 pm quote
Are there any name brand scooters that can be accessorized with chrome? I love my chromed out Vespa and the classic style of it but wouldn’t mind a less expensive alternative option.
Hooked
2009 LX50 (sold), 2016 Primavera 150
Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:33 pm quote
Lovey scooter! Congratulations!
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1917s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0417s) ][ Debug on ]