Vespa vs Chinese Scooters
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456Next
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:00 am quote
I own both a 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400AN, and a 2013 Vespa 300 Super.
I had no questions regarding quality. The Japanese Suzuki has +34k miles and has never had one thing go wrong mechanically. I am strong on correct maintenance, fluid replacement, oil change intervals, tires etc.

I love Vespa and always wanted this classic. My new Vespa 300 Super arrived from the factory with the water pump gasket improperly installed.
The dealer promptly corrected this problem. But, here is the point, I
do not expect the Italian product to be as mechanically sound as the
Japanese product. The Japanese have some "Constant Improvement"
factory process going on. I own three Honda vehicles, 2005 Accord,
2011 CRV, 2013 Fit. NOTHING has ever gone wrong with these vehicle.

I am 66 years old. When I was young, products from Japan were junk.
But, they were dropping cheap product reproductions on the USA market.
China is doing the same thing with scooters. Obviously, the Chinese
are extremely capable of high quality - look at the electronics manufacturing sector.

Sound Advise: In the two wheeled transport world, Japan is much better
than Italy, Italy is much better than China (Except Taiwan).

Further, being that 90% of us USA folks no longer have hands on
mechanical experience, it would not be wise to recommend the purchase
of Chinese Scooter.

Live Long and Prosper!

Bob Copeland
Minneapolis MN USA
Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:05 am quote
Thanks for the insight. Experience is worth it's weight in gold. If I had a dollar for every time I wished that I had followed my parents' advice ...

For the record, though, the Chinese scoot has been a terrific ride, for the most part. The dealer has taken care of any issues (of which there have been a few) at his cost. Manufacturing defects happen and a good dealer will cover them.

I am past the 2000 mile mark and one year on the ZNEN, and it seems to run better all the time. I, too, am almost fanatic about maintenance. I still maintain a spreadsheet that documents every drop of gas and oil that goes in and out and most times a wrench touches it.

I am really looking forward to riding the Vespa. It's a whole different animal, to be sure.

I will continue posting pics and stuff as I go.

Thanks again!
Hooked
GTV 300ie / GTS Super 300
Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:13 am quote
Chinese scoots I've owned 2 Sunny 150cc and a TaoTao 50cc . Bought them to see if I liked riding (me and the wife). Wasn't sure if I wanted to shell out that kind of money if it was going to sit in the garage. My experience is that every time I went for a ride something broke or fell off. I did put about a thousand miles on them before I said enough. Took my tax return in and bought me a 2013 GTV and I HAVE NO REGRETS. And have turned a couple friends on to Vespa's . I say keep the Chinese scooter use it to practice on, do some weaves and bobs ,dodge some cones in a parking lot of course.
Hooked
2012 Stella
Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:49 am quote
for what it's worth on Chinese scooters,

this thread was a good read, father and son...honda CT90, Chinese scooter from garage sale....San Fransisco to New York city 16 16 days.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988742&highlight=scooters+america

sorry for the cross forum post, but this relates to the question of chinese scooters I think.
Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:54 am quote
EvilNerdLord wrote:

this thread was a good read, father and son...honda CT90, Chinese scooter from garage sale....San Fransisco to New York city 16 16 days.

sorry for the cross forum post, but this relates to the question of chinese scooters I think.
That was a great trip.

(Seriously, that's a good article. They have some cahones to even attempt that.)
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:53 am quote
They also did a trip when the son was 16. They went cross country on dirt bikes on unpaved roads and trails. I did not know that was possible.
Addicted
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:02 am quote
I'll be interested to know how your new/old Vespa does and how that compares with the Znen. Keep us posted.
Addicted
Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:08 am quote
kz1000ST wrote:
I'll be interested to know how your new/old Vespa does and how that compares with the Znen. Keep us posted.
I just took delivery on the P200 late last night. Today I make it legal and hopefully get her in to swap the tires.

Funny story, after taking the previous owner home last night I had to shuffle he bikes around in the garage to get the car back in. Just like I do with the ZNEN I waked up to the left side of the Vespa (yes, left) grabbed the handgrip and proceeded to roll it off the center stand COMPLETELY FORGETTING that the Vespa is a little right-heavy. Apparently I was a little off center myself and it proceeded to drag me right over into the boxes sitting against the wall in the garage. No damage, except to both shins.

I'm hoping that the lousy dress rehearsal rule applies here. Doh.

image.jpg

Addicted
1965 Sears Allstate, 2013 GTS 300 Super i.e.
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:10 am quote
seamus26 wrote:
kz1000ST wrote:
I just took delivery on the P200 late last night. Today I make it legal and hopefully get her in to swap the tires.

Funny story, after taking the previous owner home last night I had to shuffle he bikes around in the garage to get the car back in. Just like I do with the ZNEN I waked up to the left side of the Vespa (yes, left) grabbed the handgrip and proceeded to roll it off the center stand COMPLETELY FORGETTING that the Vespa is a little right-heavy. Apparently I was a little off center myself and it proceeded to drag me right over into the boxes sitting against the wall in the garage. No damage, except to both shins.

I'm hoping that the lousy dress rehearsal rule applies here. Doh.
Man I do like that scooter.
Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:12 am quote
I've had a Znen (known as a Ves 125 in Australia - Modena in the UK, Puma Valentine in the USA....) for just over 12 months (2,500km's) & have had no problems with it.

Sure, it's not a Vespa but so far it's been reliable & great value for money.

20140731_134312.jpg

Addicted
Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:33 am quote
Took delivery on the P200 Wednesday night and drove it to the shop to have the tires swapped last night.

Going from a CVT to gears is a big transition. The 200 has a lot of pull to it. I got the front end off the ground once.

Yeah ... I meant to do that.

There's nothing quite so humbling as understanding the mechanics of gears and clutches, having almost 30 years experience driving manual transmissions and still sucking so badly at operating one.

It'll get there.
Addicted
Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:34 am quote
Da Vi D wrote:
I've had a Znen (known as a Ves 125 in Australia - Modena in the UK, Puma Valentine in the USA....) for just over 12 months (2,500km's) & have had no problems with it.

Sure, it's not a Vespa but so far it's been reliable & great value for money.
That's a ZNEN?!? That's a sharp bike.
Addicted
Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:10 am quote
seamus26 wrote:
Took delivery on the P200 Wednesday night and drove it to the shop to have the tires swapped last night.

Going from a CVT to gears is a big transition. The 200 has a lot of pull to it. I got the front end off the ground once.

Yeah ... I meant to do that.

There's nothing quite so humbling as understanding the mechanics of gears and clutches, having almost 30 years experience driving manual transmissions and still sucking so badly at operating one.

It'll get there.
a couple of more rides and you will not even be thinking about it and gets as natural as breathing.
Hooked
2012 Stella
Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:37 am quote
14perry wrote:
They also did a trip when the son was 16. They went cross country on dirt bikes on unpaved roads and trails. I did not know that was possible.
really? is that EVEN possible?
Hooked
2012 Stella
Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:38 am quote
seamus26 wrote:
EvilNerdLord wrote:

That was a great trip.

(Seriously, that's a good article. They have some cahones to even attempt that.)
If I had a son (or daughter, wife, girls freind or what ever...) I'd hope we could do that... It has me stoked...
Addicted
Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:34 pm quote

Addicted
Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:54 pm quote
seamus26 wrote:
Is that a 928 in the garage?
Addicted
Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:43 am quote
msprygada wrote:
seamus26 wrote:
Is that a 928 in the garage?
Yes, and it is for sale. I have it listed on Craigslist and AutoTrader.com.

Make me an offer!!
Addicted
Tue May 21, 2019 7:01 am quote
Full circle
It is done. I sold the P200E. Itís been a good run.

So, I havenít been a big part of this wonderful community, but I have reaped the benefits of the greatest body of knowledge on the subject of vintage Vespas anywhere on the interwebs, and I want to say thank you to all of you for all of your help, advice, kind words and support over the last - holy cow- five years. I have enjoyed your stories, listened to your advice and enjoyed many miles on my noble steed in no small part due to your help keeping her running. But it was time.

The thing is I have just gotten to a point in my life where I have too much stuff. Itís a first world problem, but a problem nonetheless. The real problem is that a lot of the ďstuffĒ is time intensive hobby stuff, the Vespa certainly being one of them. I donít have to explain to anyone here that ďtinkeringĒ is required when it comes to owning a vintage Vespa. I love tinkering, but it just takes time that I donít have right now. Any spare scooter time that I have I would rather spend riding than wrenching. We have lots of home projects as well, and I donít want anything taking away from those this summer.

Also, as many of you know, Michigan insurance is not cheap. Last year at one point I had four ďmotorcyclesĒ insured and tagged. Thatís all well and good, but ... you know. So, the P200, being what it is, had the best resale value of any of my bikes. And I had gotten it to the point where everything worked. Well, not the neutral switch, but who cares? Everything else, though.

I put an ad on Craigslist and a dentist from Holland picked it up. Actually, picked it up is wrong; I drove it to him. That hour on that bike at 49į riding 55 into a 20mph headwind was the best ride Iíve had in a while. I will miss it, but I am merely a stepping stone on its journey. Hopefully he has at least as many good years riding it as I did.

Iíve learned a lot, hopefully helped a little and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Iíll still be here from time to time (I still have a Granturismo project on the back burner), but I wanted to close this chapter. Thanks again, everyone. And to Chris, Judy, Jim and the others weíve lost, I hope to someday meet you in a better place.

Thanks, all.
Molto Verboso
2011 300GTV
Wed May 22, 2019 6:04 am quote
Chinese scooters are junk.
A rip-off for sure.
They are flashy and cheap in price. That is the only positive.
The quality of workmanship is absent in build and parts.
They quickly suffer from weather and use.
I have seen many of these look old and trashy within months. They quickly rust and break.
Soon forgotten as garbage in the backyard weeds.
Addicted
Wed May 22, 2019 7:25 am quote
I don't know if you remember three year automobiles of the 1960s but Chinese scooters are the same animal. Right now in this Country 50cc scooters represent 65 to 70% of the scooter market.

People buy them, beat them and use them up in a few years and buy another one. It's what has kept many of the dealers around for years. Believe it or not the leading scooter in terms of sales is the Tao Tao ATM 50 in the 50cc category.

The sad fact is that most scooter users in America are not enthusiasts but people who want cheap transportation. As long as that exists cheap scooters will continue to sell and people who become enthusiasts will buy better ones.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed May 22, 2019 7:36 am quote
Five year old thread...
Addicted
Wed May 22, 2019 8:00 am quote
jimc wrote:
Five year old thread...
That was my point. Iíve been riding my cheap Chinese scooter for six years now. For the last five of those years I rode it alternately with the P200E I sold this weekend. Guess what. My cheap Chinese scooter runs as well now as it did when it was new. In some ways better.

I started this thread looking for advice. Much of what I learned was valuable. I enjoyed both the Vespa and the ZNEN for different reasons.

Like anything, maintenance is key. I know people who have ridden Chinese scooters tens of thousands of miles. And from what I read about the build quality of current Vespas, I canít say that I would choose one over a Chinese bike. This forum is full of issues with modern Vespas.

If you read my previous post it was simply to close the loop. I would also encourage those with actual firsthand experience to chime in. I could go to a Harley Davidson forum and read a hundred posts every day about how ďJap Junk SucksĒ, but it would hardly be informative or productive. The same applies here.

Once again, I thank everyone for your valuable input.
Addicted
Wed May 22, 2019 6:11 pm quote
I had four Chinese scooters, five if you count the Chinese built Kymco. Yes, maintenance is the key but it's not just oil changes and valve adjustments. Knowing it's limits and living it every day is the secret. You can't run them flat out all day like you do with brand name scooters. You have to keep 50cc at or below 35 mph, a 150 at or below 50 mph and I keep my 250cc below 63 mph. Excessive rpm will burn them up. Observe the limits and they will run for a while in my opinion.
Addicted
Yamaha Tricity 155 my 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Wed May 22, 2019 10:13 pm quote
It would not be interesting to know if a quality control is carried out on the components but also on the complete vehicle.
Here in Italy we are very attentive to this and yet problems still occur on some vehicles of national production, instead imagine what can happen in an excessively mass production.
For example, in the maintenance manual of the Kymko People One (again in the version imported in Italy) there are written warnings to prevent the heat produced by the sun's rays from creating deformations and this often happens on instrumentation glasses.
I don't know what you can think of but this doesn't convince me to buy a product that is most of the time outdoors.
Hooked

Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 am quote
Several Znen models are using the GY7 150cc engine with EGR system that recirculates some exhaust back to intake. PartsForScooters calls it a GY6-B . . numerous parts are different than typical GY6.

Hooked
Looking
Sat May 25, 2019 6:24 am quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
If you're a musician compare it to buying a cheap imported guitar vs. a Martin or Gibson. Which would you rather own?
Probably not a valid comparison, because there are lots of exceptions. My Mexican Baha Tele blows my Gibson out of the water.

But not all things Chinese are bad. I-phones are wonderful. My Honda generator was made in China. As long as the design is good, they'll copy anything.
After all, a billion Chinese can't all be wrong!
They ride scooters, fix 'em, overload 'em, carry the family, and treat them like a mule.
Do I want one? No. But I see a lot of folks around her zipping around. If all you have is $1000, you're not getting much Vespa.
Addicted
Sat May 25, 2019 9:42 am quote
I think one of the problems is in comparison. Let me present an example. A Craftsman 3/8 ratchet handle goes for $15.00, a comparable in size Snap On goes for $95.00. If you use a ratchet every day for a living you need to spend the $95.00. If you don't you buy a Craftsman.

If you commute every day at a distance for work and need iron clad you buy a Piaggio product. If you only run a few miles to the train station you buy a Chinese scooter. I have always said that the problem is that most people don't understand or want to understand how things work. Bald tires and 20,000 mile oil changes on too many cars is testament to that.
Addicted
Tue May 28, 2019 3:47 am quote
tortoise wrote:
Several Znen models are using the GY7 150cc engine with EGR system that recirculates some exhaust back to intake. PartsForScooters calls it a GY6-B . . numerous parts are different than typical GY6.

Thatís pretty. All in all I have been super happy with my ZNEN 150. I just replaced the front brakes a couple of weeks ago, and Iíve been through one clutch and a couple of belts. And with nearly 8K miles it just runs wonderfully. And it is so cheap to work on that itís unbelievable.

One of the comparisons I make is the Apple vs PC comparison. They both have their place. PCs will always undercut Macs on price, but Apple makes (arguably) a superior product. A lot of PC people are tinkerers and like to build their own machines and tweak them. Mac people ... not so much. Now I say this being an avid user of both. I have used PCs at work since the days of the 286 and DOS. I have also been an Apple user since the Apple IIe, and I still have a IIGS in the basement. They are different animals. And there are a whole lot more PCs out there than Macs. Itís not dissimilar with scooters.

Having said THAT, I used my profit from the sale of the P200E to pick up a 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50 this weekend. The bike has less than 700 miles on it. It is essentially a new bike. It is everything the old Vespa wasnít. It is smooth and tight and quiet and oh ... so ... slow. Which is precisely what I was looking for. So far I am incredibly pleased with it. I am looking forward to many years of puttering around town on it at (hopefully) 100mpg+. We shall see. It is a quality build. And yet, yesterday when I rode my ZNEN I was reminded again that I will likely never get rid of that bike.

No matter what you ride, ride what you love and love what you ride.
Addicted
Yamaha Tricity 155 my 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Tue May 28, 2019 7:59 am quote
kz1000ST wrote:
If you commute every day at a distance for work and need iron clad you buy a Piaggio product. If you only run a few miles to the train station you buy a Chinese scooter.
It's right, at the moment the facts are these ... tomorrow who knows?
seamus26 wrote:
No matter what you ride, ride what you love and love what you ride.
It's true, great thought.
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Tue May 28, 2019 9:04 am quote
My Kymco LIKE200i (163cc's) was made in China 7 years ago.
Running weekly now for over 15,500 miles.
Starts quick with EFI in all weather or temps, body panels and chrome are still great, amazing brakes, all bulbs still lit. Big tail light! and fair headlight. Uses no oil. No leaks. Rebuilt painful seat (I'm 6'3"+)
Seems to be bullet proof.
Oh, and very, very easy to service. 15 min oil changes, 20 mins your feeler blade is in the valves.
2 yr fully transferable warranty.....if DIYing just keep receipts and a record of work.

Dealer access ? - yes, but have used them only for a tire change.
Several USA sources for OEM parts.

O.S.
Hooked

Tue May 28, 2019 9:29 am quote
seamus26 wrote:
ZNEN 150 . . cheap to work on
The China scooters "are what they are", but so many deficiencies are "owner induced" . . such as experiencing reliability issues after installing big-bore-kits and other performance enhancements. Considering the numbers of China GY6 50/125/150cc 4-stroke engines in use around the globe . . with proper maintenance and limited wide-open-throttle operation, most are providing transportation just fine. The relatively inexpensive generic stock engine parts, tools, and numerous YouTube maintenance videos are an additional benefit.

Last edited by tortoise on Tue May 28, 2019 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Tue May 28, 2019 10:28 am quote
seamus26 wrote:
Thanks for the responses while I was responding.

To clarify ... I will probably keep the ZNEN for several reasons. I am a tinkerer. I can pull the carb, clean it and have it running inside half an hour (it was my fault for adding dry gas - live and learn). It's cheap and easy to work on.

I will probably buy a second scooter. I'm looking for any information I can find on whether the Vespa is a good investment, or should I stick with a second Chinese scoot.

Even though a Vespa is known to go 30K+ miles, for the price I can buy three ZNENs or one and replace the entire driveline with brand new stuff a dozen times.

All things to consider, I suppose.
i really can't disagree with this logic...if you are mechanically inclined, have time and don't mind wrenching instead of riding...i can't say that a chinese scooter is a good investment though...they are pretty worthless used...a vespa will hold it's value much better...when i was looking for a used 100cc+ scooter i did a bunch of homework and basically came down to either italy, japan or taiwan for manufacturers for quality and reliability...slimmed down my list of manufacturers to the below...vespa felt like the harley of the scooter world except with more performance...everyone has heard of vespa...harley really sells a lifestyle cause they definitely don't sell performance...

genuine
honda
yamaha
piaggio/vespa/aprilia
suzuki
sym/lance
kymco

then it came down to price, distance to buy, design, performance, style, availability and my personal plans for use...i wanted a smaller body style that was nimble and quick while be reliable and easy to work on with good parts availability...all i was doing was ripping around town doing errands so i wanted to ride not wrench...i had found a 09 vespa lx150 w/400 miles and a 13 genuine buddy 125 w/2400 miles...i believe the vespa was asking $2500 and the buddy was asking $1300...the buddy was cheaper and newer...as far as performance goes they seemed similar from everything i read...the vespa has all metal panels so heavier while the buddy is plastic so lighter as well as cheaper to replace a panel...the vespa has better suspension and a longer wheel base so it would ride better...the vespa also has a higher center of gravity...the buddy suspension is not that great and the wheel base is shorter with a lower center of gravity...the vespa was a smoother ride while the buddy was more nimble and more flickable...all in all i wanted the vespa but i couldn't justify the price for what i planned to do with it so i ended up with the buddy...maybe i'll come across a deal on a vespa at some point but for now the buddy does the job and is fun to ride...who knows maybe i'll hold onto it
Addicted
Tue May 28, 2019 11:30 am quote
Point37 wrote:
maybe i'll come across a deal on a vespa at some point but for now the buddy does the job and is fun to ride...who knows maybe i'll hold onto it
My wife has the Buddy 170i. It is an absolute blast to ride. Itís just physically small for me. Just right for her, though.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Thu May 30, 2019 6:42 am quote
seamus26 wrote:
Point37 wrote:
maybe i'll come across a deal on a vespa at some point but for now the buddy does the job and is fun to ride...who knows maybe i'll hold onto it
My wife has the Buddy 170i. It is an absolute blast to ride. Itís just physically small for me. Just right for her, though.
i have a blast on mine so i feel like i made the right choice for my usage and amount of usage...the only thing i'm really debating about is ratting it out...i don't mind the seafoam green color but i have been toying with the idea of plastidipping it or stripping the paint off...i just don't have time to ride it a ton so i really can't justify the time or money to put into it right now...i'm 6', 175# and don't find it too cramped...it's light, nimble, fast enough and it even has a nice pocket for my bluetooth speaker...the only thing it's lacking is a substantial rear rack that can support some real weight...i hate putting things on the floorboard
Addicted
Fri May 31, 2019 6:33 am quote
Point37 wrote:
seamus26 wrote:
Point37 wrote:
i have a blast on mine so i feel like i made the right choice for my usage and amount of usage...the only thing i'm really debating about is ratting it out...i don't mind the seafoam green color but i have been toying with the idea of plastidipping it or stripping the paint off...i just don't have time to ride it a ton so i really can't justify the time or money to put into it right now...i'm 6', 175# and don't find it too cramped...it's light, nimble, fast enough and it even has a nice pocket for my bluetooth speaker...the only thing it's lacking is a substantial rear rack that can support some real weight...i hate putting things on the floorboard
Iím about the same size. I find it just like you said ... light and nimble. The thing I get with it is that the windshield - even at its highest - pushes the wind right under the rim of my helmet. I have to tuck a little to keep it out of my face.

That being said, the 170 is fuel injected and plenty to surprise people at stoplights. And still it gets us a consistent 99mpg. Itís really an amazing bike.

Back to the Chinese bikes, I rode the ZNEN today and I just canít say enough good about it. Out of all our bikes, if I had to choose one to keep, thatís the one it would probably be. Iím sure thereís some sentimentality there, but itís just a very comfortable easy ride.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:03 am quote
seamus26 wrote:
Point37 wrote:
seamus26 wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Iím about the same size. I find it just like you said ... light and nimble. The thing I get with it is that the windshield - even at its highest - pushes the wind right under the rim of my helmet. I have to tuck a little to keep it out of my face.

That being said, the 170 is fuel injected and plenty to surprise people at stoplights. And still it gets us a consistent 99mpg. Itís really an amazing bike.

Back to the Chinese bikes, I rode the ZNEN today and I just canít say enough good about it. Out of all our bikes, if I had to choose one to keep, thatís the one it would probably be. Iím sure thereís some sentimentality there, but itís just a very comfortable easy ride.
i never use a windshield cause it's more of a joyride toy...i want to feel the wind and if i don't my full face does a good job...it's not like it goes highway/motorcycle speeds where your head it getting tossed around all day

reminds me of this guy...had 70k miles on his zongshen before he had to replace the engine...

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/other-bikes/2760-update-55-000-miles-my-zong.html

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/18780-zongshen-kick-starter-kits-yamaha-tw200.html
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:44 am quote
Re: Vespa vs Chinese Scooters
seamus26 wrote:
I went with a local dealer and purchased a ZNEN Amore 150. ... It is based on the Honda GY6 tried and true platform

Thoughts?
No, it's not. To add legitimacy to their product, when they first started hawking Chinese crap in the US, charlatans claimed the engine was a Honda clone, or Honda GY6 or Honda Elite clone. And a lot of the buyers who bought the first ones went into Honda dealerships looking for parts. That never turned out well. It's not a Honda engine, or a copy of a Honda engine or a Honda design, etc.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:03 am quote
Re: Vespa vs Chinese Scooters
Motovista wrote:
seamus26 wrote:
I went with a local dealer and purchased a ZNEN Amore 150. ... It is based on the Honda GY6 tried and true platform

Thoughts?
No, it's not. To add legitimacy to their product, when they first started hawking Chinese crap in the US, charlatans claimed the engine was a Honda clone, or Honda GY6 or Honda Elite clone. And a lot of the buyers who bought the first ones went into Honda dealerships looking for parts. That never turned out well. It's not a Honda engine, or a copy of a Honda engine or a Honda design, etc.
Even if the engine was the same as a Honda, there's all the other crap that breaks or falls off: mirrors, fenders, body panels, switches, lights...after a few months it looks like a turd.
Addicted
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:06 am quote
Here's a perfect example of China. Imagine spending BMW dollars for it.

https://www.cyclenews.com/2018/07/article/bmw-c400x-first-test/
2019 Fall Gathering - September 12 - 15, Hungry Mother State Park, Marion, VA   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456Next
[ Time: 0.2182s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0514s) ][ Debug on ]