Vespa vs Chinese Scooters
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456
Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:36 am quote
Um ... again Iím just not having that experience. I really really like the ZNEN.

Iíve now owned and ridden the ZNEN, the P200E, the Genuine Buddy 170, Stella 4T and most recently an Aprilia Sportcity.

Granted, the ZNEN was ďhigh endĒ Chinese, but with 8K miles so far, it runs better than it did new. I paid around 2k brand new with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. I think a lot of the problems people have with them is they buy online, have them shipped to their home with some assembly required. I bought from a reputable dealer who did the PDI before I ever took the bike.

People can hate them if they want, but they are easy to work on, parts are cheap and abundant. An out of all the bikes I have ridden, the ZNEN is hands down the most comfortable and easy to ride out of the bunch.

Now, comparing it to the Aprilia I have a couple of observations. The Sportcity really feels well built. From an engineering standpoint, it appears that the designers were either drunk or the Italians still havenít forgiven us for our involvement in WWII. No offense intended. Itís really nice that the oil drain plug is right out in the open on the side of the case, but did you really have to run the exhaust right in front of it making it impossible to get a socket on it? And the rear gearoil plug. Thank you for placing it center rim. I can see the spark plug, but getting to it? Thatís another story.

Still, so far I love the bike. Itís quiet and smooth and polite. Everything the P200 wasnít.

So, for anyone reading this thread, donít be discouraged if you are considering a Chinese bike for your first ride. Wolf, Bintelli, Lance and others are making great bikes. If you arenít sure if riding is for you, I would highly recommend talking to a dealer and getting into a Chinese bike to start. If you feel the need to buy a Vespa 946 at some point, great.

Again, ride what you love, love what you ride.
Addicted
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:58 am quote
I recently sold two of my Chinese bikes in an effort to lighten my load. Both of them ran great and were solid citizens. The 2008 Bashan had near 10,000 miles and would have lasted for many more.

I kept the 1983 Kawasaki, 1991 Nighthawk 250 and the CF Moto 250. The CF Moto is highly practical with a large top box and a trunk out back but doesn't have the speed of the other two. Someday another China scoot will come. Reviews on the Lance 200 models are favorable.
Lurker
Vespa GTS300 Super
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:09 pm quote
Any Scooter Is Better Than No Scooter
I have a TaoTao 50, Znen 150 and a Vespa 300 GTS Super. They each fill a niche. If I want to ride to the golf course on an iffy weather day, I ride the Znen and take a raincoat. For days when the weather is perfect, I ride the Vespa. For short trips to town and for when I need to navigate through a crowd, the 50 works like a charm.

Now, if I had to choose between them, I'd definitely keep the Vespa. But, with the other two as options, I can keep the GTS looking better for a long time with minimal additional costs.

Snobs are a dime a dozen in our society, be it watches, clothing, or bikes. Ride what you like and enjoy the satisfaction of being able to forego the car for most trips. All scooters are fun!

BV
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:47 pm quote
seamus26 wrote:
Granted, the ZNEN was ďhigh endĒ Chinese, but with 8K miles so far, it runs better than it did new. I paid around 2k brand new with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. I think a lot of the problems people have with them is they buy online, have them shipped to their home with some assembly required. I bought from a reputable dealer who did the PDI before I ever took the bike.
It's more accurate to say it's a fairly well built second tier scooter. The State owned companies like QJ get the first pick of the parts and make the real high end Chinese scooters. One of the biggest problems with Chinese scooters continues to be the cost of labor in China. Using people is cheaper than robots, and a lot of the welding and other work that is done by robots in Japanese and European factories, is still done by hand in most of the Chinese plants. The life expectancy of the GY6 in the Chinese bikes is about 12-15k, so you've still got quite a bit of use to look forward to. If this was your only means of transportation, and you take into consideration all the miles you've driven in total since you got it, how much work do you think you would have missed?
Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:04 am quote
Motovista wrote:
seamus26 wrote:
It's more accurate to say it's a fairly well built second tier scooter. The State owned companies like QJ get the first pick of the parts and make the real high end Chinese scooters. One of the biggest problems with Chinese scooters continues to be the cost of labor in China. Using people is cheaper than robots, and a lot of the welding and other work that is done by robots in Japanese and European factories, is still done by hand in most of the Chinese plants. The life expectancy of the GY6 in the Chinese bikes is about 12-15k, so you've still got quite a bit of use to look forward to. If this was your only means of transportation, and you take into consideration all the miles you've driven in total since you got it, how much work do you think you would have missed?
Considering Iím two miles from work now not much, but I get your point.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456
[ Time: 0.3303s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1113s) ][ Debug on ]