Brand new GTS 300 2016 first thing before starting ?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
GTS 300 Super
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:41 am quote
Hello All,

I'm proudly joining the family having bought a brand new 2016 Vespa GTS 300 Super ABS .

Should I ask the dealer to change every fluid on it ( motor oil and filter, hub oil, brake oil, cooling fluid) before taking delivery and doing the first ride ?

I know they should normally be replaced at different time interval/millage and since it could be seen as a garage queen with 0 miles on it, I prefer to have some advice before starting using it.

I hope the best for all of you during those difficult time.

Thanks

Best regards,

Carbu
Ossessionato
2015 GTS300, 1974 Primavera, 04 Ninja 250
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:42 am quote
yes, especially the coolant should go. but yes to oil and coolant.
Banned

Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:54 am quote
sdjohn wrote:
yes, especially the coolant should go. but yes to oil and coolant.
Yes. Now is the time to get some of that "malleable" money back.

You may as well ask for new brake fluid. A good flush of the system.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:23 am quote
Don't get it all changed out now - wait a few days until you have 600 miles racked up, then get all those things done during a previously negotiated free first service.
GTS 300 Super
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:59 am quote
Many thanks, better be safe than sorry...
Very reactive forum btw
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:12 pm quote
In March in Canada, it may be a while before the OP racks up the 600 miles for first service. I'd get the fluid changes done by the dealer now.
'09 GTS 250ie
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:29 pm quote
I'm totally new to Vespas but not to wrenching on bikes and cars. I'm not aware oil or coolant goes bad just from removing it from the container and installing it in a vehicle. Yeah both go bad with miles and wear out and get dirty.
Brake fluid on the other hand absorbs moisture once the container has been opened. Not that a tiny bit of moisture is going to cause a crash but it will continuously corrode the expensive brake parts internals. Whether in use or not flushing the brakes every two years is wise preventative maint. If you rely on the dealer for maint/servicing negotiate it into the first service.
2006 Vespa LX150, 2011 Honda PCX 125
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:04 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Don't get it all changed out now - wait a few days until you have 600 miles racked up, then get all those things done during a previously negotiated free first service.
This ^^^
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:31 am quote
flotsam wrote:
I'm totally new to Vespas but not to wrenching on bikes and cars. I'm not aware oil or coolant goes bad just from removing it from the container and installing it in a vehicle. Yeah both go bad with miles and wear out and get dirty.
Brake fluid on the other hand absorbs moisture once the container has been opened. Not that a tiny bit of moisture is going to cause a crash but it will continuously corrode the expensive brake parts internals. Whether in use or not flushing the brakes every two years is wise preventative maint. If you rely on the dealer for maint/servicing negotiate it into the first service.
OAT coolant (as in our Vespas) goes bad in our GTS bikes after just two years. It goes bad even if the bike just stands for that period of time. It becomes quite acidic due to the cast iron element in our engines. It also loses it's ability to lubricate the water pump seals. It must be changed every two years or so. It does a lot of damage over time inside the motor if you don't do this.

Engine oil in the tin or bottle is fine for either 4 or 5 years (depending on type of oil) as long as it's sealed new from the factory. If you open it, it degrades and should not be used after two years. Some of the additives break down and turn to water, even in a sealed can. This happens to dino or synthetic oils and even fully synthetic oils. Dino oils own molecular structure also starts to go bad as it's an organic compound. If the bike still has it's original oil in the engine, this must be changed before you take her out as it will have degraded considerably. We never let an old "new" bike go out with the original fluids in it.

So the answer is yes, change out these two items before the bike is used. The engine will need a good oil to help break in the motor. A degraded one won't do, not if you want a good motor that's going to last.

If the brakes feel ok, not spongy, then you can go to the first service if you like before the brake fluid is changed, but I'd get that done also before you take the bike out. That way it should not cost you anything as it's the dealers responsibility to make sure those things are done before you take her out.
GTS 300 Super
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:54 pm quote
Very informative and useful information here from Stormrider and from all of you guys.

I will ask the dealer to change everything before taking delivery hopefully before the end of April if everything is going well.

Take care.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:19 am quote
flotsam wrote:
The additive packages on both oil and coolant have time limits, even in the bottle oil has a 5 years shelf life.
Sitting in a motor it's the moister control additive that goes away first, in coolant it wold be the anti corrosive additive.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1467s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0428s) ][ Debug on ]