@steveb77 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport

Enthusiast
@steveb77 avatar
2016 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
Green Car Reports online has several great articles on Elio Motors. They examine the company's very slow progress and future prospects. The analysis of their SEC filing was from Autoblog and was very detailed.
@mvtroiano avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 'JAZZ'

Molto Verboso
@mvtroiano avatar
MP3 500 'JAZZ'
UTC quote
Re: Check out Green Car Reports and Autoblog
SteveB77 wrote:
Green Car Reports online has several great articles on Elio Motors. They examine the company's very slow progress and future prospects. The analysis of their SEC filing was from Autoblog and was very detailed.
I just went there, nothing about the elio. A link might help.
@steveb77 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport

Enthusiast
@steveb77 avatar
2016 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
If you Google "Elio Motors news", both sites will up instantly on your computer. That's how I found them.
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@steveb77 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport

Enthusiast
@steveb77 avatar
2016 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
If anyone's still hoping for an Elio autocycle
Elio has a new video of the inside of their plant. I think it was intended to show they are working on manufacturing the vehicle. But if you looked behind/around the speaker, it was evident NOTHING was actually being done. No actual being work done on tooling or the assembly line. It would take a massive effort to be in production by January 2017. Very disappointing. Again.
@mvtroiano avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 'JAZZ'

Molto Verboso
@mvtroiano avatar
MP3 500 'JAZZ'
UTC quote
Well, let me know how you feel again in January.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
I'm in for the early program of $6800.00 and $1500.00 no refund.
Its been so long, I haven't given it another thought.
But I may have said this earlier, if I don't like it...
I am sure I can sell it very easily for anyone who wants one and is further down the list. I sat in one when they were visiting Atlanta on a Road show, and that convinced me... I think it will be a Cool Retirement Vehicle to get around in...

Keith
UTC

Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Saw an Elio ad a couple days ago on Fox so they're still advertising on TV for new customers.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
norCal Randy wrote:
Saw an Elio ad a couple days ago on Fox so they're still advertising on TV for new customers.
its a scam. they just want more money from folks. before they fully fold up.
@shiftless avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 MP3 250

Hooked
@shiftless avatar
2010 MP3 250
UTC quote
I Agree
I have to agree with OAD I too believe it is a scam. Too bad it would have
been nice. Glad I didn't pay money into this. Think about it. How come a Spyder cost $26,000 and a similar vehicle only with a/c and enclosed alike
vehicle cost only $6,800 !!!??? Somebody isn't going to make much profit.
And we all know it is about profit, aka, the bottom line
@steveb77 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport

Enthusiast
@steveb77 avatar
2016 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
Seconded
Not to mention the MP3 500 is $9000 and it has been mass produced for years. - And it is now the least expensive "name brand" maxi/super scooter.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
norCal Randy wrote:
That's what Scully did... I sure hope not for Elio, they got $1500 of mine.
I see the Shreveport LA Plant (Where they used to build the Chevy S10), they have people working.

Keith
Marietta, GA
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Have a long time Moto Guzzi friend who a few years ago sat in an Elio display car @ Tacoma, Wa. mall and payed his $100 deposit to get on the production waiting list (T shirt incl.). Still convinced he's going to get an Elio trike when they are built.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
mvtroiano wrote:
Actually it's $6,800. Nerd emoticon
Price has gone up, its $7300.00 now.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
klaborde wrote:
mvtroiano wrote:
Well, sure, inflation and all. It has been a long time since this project started.... Razz emoticon
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
klaborde wrote:
mvtroiano wrote:
Well, sure, inflation and all. It has been a long time since this project started.... Razz emoticon
I think that depends on what all you want on it(accessories) when you buy it.
@steveb77 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport

Enthusiast
@steveb77 avatar
2016 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
That's correct. Their sales model is to manufacture only one or two standard/basic Elio autocycle. All options are added separately at satellite locations according to the buyer's specific order. So, the purchase price could go up quite a bit, although so far they're not advertising that many available options.

I have to add again, even Elio as admitted in several statements everything is contingent on receiving an enormous federal start up loan (150 to 200 million dollars!), called the Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing (ATVM) Loan Program. That's why everything has been stuck in the planning and prototype stages for so long (at least four years) and will continue to be.

My understanding is the federal government has not awarded one of these special loans in four years and companies that have gotten the loan in the past have usually failed. (Tesla, Nissan, and Ford being notable exceptions.) The bad press from those bankruptcies, like Fisker, makes it very unlikely they will grant any more such loans. Also, the program was only envisioned to apply to new hybrid or electric vehicle companies. Further, Elio never even completed the loan application process they initiated in 2014. How can they expect to get a loan they never completed the application process for?

Another whole issue is Elio's plan/insistence on building their own engine. Its almost like they want to just stay in the planning/prototype stages.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
SteveB77 wrote:
That's correct. Their sales model is to manufacture only one or two standard/basic Elio autocycle. All options are added separately at satellite locations according to the buyer's specific order. So, the purchase price could go up quite a bit, although so far they're not advertising that many available options.

I have to add again, even Elio as admitted in several statements everything is contingent on receiving an enormous federal start up loan (150 to 200 million dollars!), called the Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing (ATVM) Loan Program. That's why everything has been stuck in the planning and prototype stages for so long (at least four years) and will continue to be.

My understanding is the federal government has not awarded one of these special loans in four years and companies that have gotten the loan in the past have usually failed. (Tesla, Nissan, and Ford being notable exceptions.) The bad press from those bankruptcies, like Fisker, makes it very unlikely they will grant any more such loans. Also, the program was only envisioned to apply to new hybrid or electric vehicle companies. Further, Elio never even completed the loan application process they initiated in 2014. How can they expect to get a loan they never completed the application process for?

Another whole issue is Elio's plan/insistence on building their own engine. Its almost like they want to just stay in the planning/prototype stages.
They already applied for a federal loan and got turned down. That's why production has never started.
UTC

Hooked
2009 Piaggio MP3 400

Hooked
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
UTC quote
klaborde wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
norCal Randy wrote:
That's what Scully did... I sure hope not for Elio, they got $1500 of mine.
I see the Shreveport LA Plant (Where they used to build the Chevy S10), they have people working.

Keith
Marietta, GA
Did this change from $1500 to $1K now, Keith? I'm seeing $1K as the highest cost option for the $7300 price online right now.

They claim to have 58K reservations already, which at $1K a pop amounts to $5.8M. Is that enough money to build a prototype or two and spend the money going around the country for show & tell, plus cost to build and run a website?

I assume that originally there was an earnest intention to start a company, although by now it looks like it's not going to happen, but they're not admitting it yet and continue to accept non-refundable reservations to recover their cost, hence turning it into a scam by now...
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Any wagers on how long before this is an episode of American Greed?

When you consider that when all's said and done, a Tata Nano is about $5,000 and impossible to certify as roadworthy for the US market, or any market where you can't sell deathtraps, the whole Elio story does seem rather far-fetched.

Based on everything said about the car, if he priced them at $15-20K, he probably would have found more suckers, I mean taken more deposits, because that's a more believable figure.
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
@steveb77 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport

Enthusiast
@steveb77 avatar
2016 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
Production now delayed to fall of 2017
Well the twenty vehicles they said would be built and sold by the end of 2016 turned out to be fiction. Instead, they are touring the auto shows with a single new pre-production model. Close examination of posted videos show the back seat area is not even finalized yet.

And as they still don't have the federal loan approved, now they claim production will start in the fall of 2017.

Now all they are pushing is their NON-refundable deposits. Very suspicious.

I suspect my $100 refundable deposit will turn out to be lost anyway when this is over.
@mjm50cal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
@mjm50cal avatar
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
UTC quote
Why are they playing with electric vehicles when they can't even get a fire breather going? Un-focused.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
mvtroiano wrote:
Not anymore, the price has gone up.
I am one of the early purchasers of a "Marshmallow" one.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Re: Production now delayed to fall of 2017
SteveB77 wrote:
Well the twenty vehicles they said would be built and sold by the end of 2016 turned out to be fiction. Instead, they are touring the auto shows with a single new pre-production model. Close examination of posted videos show the back seat area is not even finalized yet.

And as they still don't have the federal loan approved, now they claim production will start in the fall of 2017.

Now all they are pushing is their NON-refundable deposits. Very suspicious.

I suspect my $100 refundable deposit will turn out to be lost anyway when this is over.
I'm in for a Non-Refundable $1000.00 its been a few years.
I am still hopeful, I sat in one here in Atlanta a long time ago.
I really believe this can work, but they need to start delivering some of them.

I was at Pep-Boys (The Company that will be doing their Warranty Repair.) recently to get my tires balanced and rotated for a Trip I have planned for the Holidays. I asked them if they had received any Training yet on the Vehicle. The Service Guy told me they had not, as it has been delayed until next year. You would think they would have started doing this by now?

Keith,
Marietta, GA
@steveb77 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport

Enthusiast
@steveb77 avatar
2016 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
Seconded
I agree. Elio is clearly not doing what it would take to start building and selling their autocycle now or ever.

I also feel I need to point out again, Elio's corporate office in Phoenix doesn't even actually exist nor does the dealer they list in Phoenix. I tried to find both this Spring while in Phoenix.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Re: Seconded
SteveB77 wrote:
I agree. Elio is clearly not doing what it would take to start building and selling their autocycle now or ever.

I also feel I need to point out again, Elio's corporate office in Phoenix doesn't even actually exist nor does the dealer they list in Phoenix. I tried to find both this Spring while in Phoenix.
I have been to the old Chevrolet S10 Plant in Shreveport, LA.
This is where they are going to build them.
There is some activity going on, that made me feel it will happen.
But you just don't know ???

Keith,
Marietta, GA
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Re: Seconded
klaborde wrote:
I have been to the old Chevrolet S10 Plant in Shreveport, LA.
This is where they are going to build them.
There is some activity going on....
Probably the Justice Department looking for evidence.
@steveb77 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport

Enthusiast
@steveb77 avatar
2016 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
Well its January 2017, New Options
Still no positive news coming out on the Elio. However, there are two new options for an autocycle in 2017. They both seem much closer to production than the Elio. Both are electric only if that will work for you. The Acrimoto is $11,500 and the Electra Mechanica Solo is $15,200. The more realistic pricing actually makes me think both will actually go on sale this year. Both companies are taking deposits/reservations just like Elio. The Solo is as cool or even cooler looking than the Elio, but is just a single seater. If either actually becomes available, I'm going to see if my refundable Elio deposit actually is. I suspect the reason Elio now say they are working on an electric version, causing more delays, is due to this new competition.
@buckeye_marksman avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500

Hooked
@buckeye_marksman avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Re: Well its January 2017, New Options
SteveB77 wrote:
Still no positive news coming out on the Elio. However, there are two new options for an autocycle in 2017. They both seem much closer to production than the Elio. Both are electric only if that will work for you. The Acrimoto is $11,500 and the Electra Mechanica Solo is $15,200. The more realistic pricing actually makes me think both will actually go on sale this year. Both companies are taking deposits/reservations just like Elio. The Solo is as cool or even cooler looking than the Elio, but is just a single seater. If either actually becomes available, I'm going to see if my refundable Elio deposit actually is. I suspect the reason Elio now say they are working on an electric version, causing more delays, is due to this new competition.
I've been watching the Arcimoto. There's also the Toyota i-Road.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
This Toyota only goes up to 30 mph if you're lucky. Give me a break. Elio minimum price is up to $7,300 now if it ever really is for sale.

I bought a `14 Ford Fiesta 4 door hatchback for $11,000 that get's 39 MPG on hiway, is comfortable, handles like a sports car and has enough zip for me. It's auto 6 spd. tranny twin clutch is a little touchy coming off from a stop but I can live with it. It's quieter than our Toyota `01 Rav4 but the radio/CD is complicated to use. Overall I'm happy with it so far after 6 months.

Sorry Elio, you took too long to show up. Razz emoticon
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
here is something for you elio wannabe's to think about. if it is taking them this long and still not producing a vehicle what do you think they will do about any warranty issues?
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
here is something for you elio wannabe's to think about. if it is taking them this long and still not producing a vehicle what do you think they will do about any warranty issues?
The Warranty issues are being handled through Pep Boys Auto Service.
I have one down the block from my home, and bring my Chevy Colorado and Chevy HHR for Service, and ask them for updates on Elio. They did have Training Scheduled for last year, and it was moved to later this year.
So at least there is something going on with this????

Keith,
Marietta, GA
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
klaborde wrote:
They did have Training Scheduled for last year, and it was moved to later this year.
So at least there is something going on with this????
No, I'm afraid there's nothing going on with this. "...moved to later this year." Same old story we all hear: "later...". I really wanted an Elio -- I have one of the first 100 reservations -- but I think all I'm ever going to get is a bumper sticker and a t-shirt.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
klaborde wrote:
mvtroiano wrote:
Actually it's $6,800.
Actually, I could sell them for even less than $6,800 - if I never intended to deliver any.
@steveb77 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport

Enthusiast
@steveb77 avatar
2016 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
Toyota comment seconded
There would be few situations/locations in the USA where a vehicle with such a low top speed would work. On the other hand, the Solo and Arcimoto are both supposed to do 80 mph and have plenty of range for daily commuting.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@steveb77 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport

Enthusiast
@steveb77 avatar
2016 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
The beginning of the end for Elio
What a difference a month makes in the fortunes of Elio. They announced production is now delayed until 2018 - which they are now admitting will only happen if they get a huge federal loan. They are down to just over $100,000 in cash and somehow have burned through over $100 million! That means they can no longer make payroll. They admitted in their last SEC filing that they may be ceasing operations at any time. The company is no longer responding to any negative questions online. And lastly, a person has just taken Elio to court for not returning his "refundable " deposit when requested.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Re: The beginning of the end for Elio
SteveB77 wrote:
What a difference a month makes in the fortunes of Elio. They announced production is now delayed until 2018 - which they are now admitting will only happen if they get a huge federal loan. They are down to just over $100,000 in cash and somehow have burned through over $100 million! That means they can no longer make payroll. They admitted in their last SEC filing that they may be ceasing operations at any time. The company is no longer responding to any negative questions online. And lastly, a person has just taken Elio to court for not returning his "refundable " deposit when requested.
Far as I remember Elio never promised anyone a refund on their deposit. That in itself should have told you something.
@mvtroiano avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 'JAZZ'

Molto Verboso
@mvtroiano avatar
MP3 500 'JAZZ'
UTC quote
There is only one site on the entire internet reporting this event. It could be a smear site. News this big would be on multiple sites.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Re: The beginning of the end for Elio
norCal Randy wrote:
SteveB77 wrote:
Far as I remember Elio never promised anyone a refund on their deposit. That in itself should have told you something.
It depends on what kind of Deposit you made...
The ones that were refundable provided you a #, but less of a discount.
The ones that provided no refund, provided a bigger discount, and you could lose it all.

I was always hopeful someone like Apple would buy them and get the needed cash.

Keith
Marietta, GA
@brasseye avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@brasseye avatar
UTC quote
I will not be swapping my mp3 500 for this Elio as the Elio will not fit between the cars in the rush hour traffic.
@steveb77 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport

Enthusiast
@steveb77 avatar
2016 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
I actually did not make my last post until I confirmed the negative stories had blown up all over the web. The SEC filings are public record as is the court filing. I am one of those that placed a $100.00 refundable deposit, two years ago. There is a plethora of other discouraging videos, articles and posts online. I am going to request a refund and see what happens.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.2430s ][ Queries: 43 (0.2029s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]