OP
@kittysaz avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
White GTS125 - Milo - 2009-2012 Red GTS Super 300 - Watson - 2012 - 2014. Silver Vespa GTS 250 - Carter - 2014

Ossessionato
@kittysaz avatar
White GTS125 - Milo - 2009-2012 Red GTS Super 300 - Watson - 2012 - 2014. Silver Vespa GTS 250 - Carter - 2014
UTC quote
Fellow lovely people
I commute to work every day and ride Watson when I can...
In the 4 and a half years I've been riding now, I've put nearly 60,000 km on two scooters....
This week, a few miles into my commute, I got nervous.
I was twitchy, unsure of myself, total loss of confidence.
I stopped, got off the scoot a bit shakily, took 5 and carried on.
Still twitchy and nearly left it at work.
I didn't though, I got back on and slowly and carefully rode home.
I'm not ill, I wasn't too tired, and the weather was ok. Nothing different.
What happened?
Kitty
X
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Strange, Kitty. Unnerving to say the least. Sounds like panic attack territory, but it's out of my field. Hopefully it passes, otherwise suggest you see someone to get it sorted.

Dave
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
Re: What does this mean? Concerned.
Kittysaz wrote:
Fellow lovely people
I commute to work every day and ride Watson when I can...
In the 4 and a half years I've been riding now, I've put nearly 60,000 km on two scooters....
This week, a few miles into my commute, I got nervous.
I was twitchy, unsure of myself, total loss of confidence.
I stopped, got off the scoot a bit shakily, took 5 and carried on.
Still twitchy and nearly left it at work.
I didn't though, I got back on and slowly and carefully rode home.
I'm not ill, I wasn't too tired, and the weather was ok. Nothing different.
What happened?
Kitty
X
Could be stress induced. Bad day? Bad week? Saw a really knarly accident scene the day before?

-Craig
@big_boys_mother avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster

Molto Verboso
@big_boys_mother avatar
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster
UTC quote
If it were bad spirits, or the ubiquitous Gremlins, you may want to get a Gremlin Bell. Highly recommended!

Just sayin'
@willie_b avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221

Ossessionato
@willie_b avatar
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221
UTC quote
Back off the coffee
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
How do you feel about your tires? Serious question... One time, several years ago, I was out on a long ride and started thinking about how many miles I had left on my rear tire before replacement. It was honestly meant to be a casual conversation with myself, inside my helmet. What it turned into was a joyless rest of the afternoon, as I somehow lost all confidence in my scooter's ability to hold a line, as I felt I couldn't lean as far, couldn't maneuver as well, was afraid to take corners at anything more than a crawl, and doubted very seriously if I'd even make it home alive.

That was it. The next opportunity I had, I replaced both front and rear with a matching set of new rubber (brand unimportant, as I don't want this to become a tire debate), and "Voila!" - it was like a new scooter all over again.
@kabarash avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]

Molto Verboso
@kabarash avatar
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
UTC quote
I had a similar 'situation' set in a few years ago, OK, so I feel like a Bloody Rooky! it actually kept me off the scoot for almost a year and a half. I still avoid one or two stretches of road where it happened to occur the most.
I still cannot directly say what or why it was or wasn't (?) I just know I seem to be 'better' for the most part.

Tires (tyres) were mentioned in an above post, when I nearly forced myself to get back on the scoot earlier this spring, I found that my front was severely cupping causing a front end wobble. Replacing that improved things greatly.
Was that the 'golden pill'? I donno. Am I 'cured'? I donno. Am I riding 'better' again? YEP, but there's still the thought of my 'issues' in the back of my mind, I talk to myself the whole time.

Oh yes, did I go see my doctor to see if there was something 'up'? Nope! That's why I think it took me a year and a half to get back on the 'horse'

Listen to this 'cranky old man', go see your friendly medical health professional!!!
@cdrpierce avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV300ie

Hooked
@cdrpierce avatar
GTV300ie
UTC quote
I've had that feeling many times in 30+ years of riding. I personally think it's your brains way of reminding us what we do has risks. Good on you for riding home. Don't feel bad if you want to be "safe" for a few days. It'll pass.
@sheridat avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 LT SPORT ABS/ASR

Molto Verboso
@sheridat avatar
MP3 500 LT SPORT ABS/ASR
UTC quote
Kitty - it certainly sounds like an anxiety attack. A past sufferer.
@lazybones avatar
UTC

Hooked
-----2006 LX 150-----

Hooked
@lazybones avatar
-----2006 LX 150-----
UTC quote
green tea
Is medical marijuana legal in your parts. Go to the doctor and tell him/her you need some of that sweet maryjane to help you calm your nerves. Nerd emoticon

8)
UTC

Ossessionato
X10 350

Ossessionato
X10 350
UTC quote
Happens to all of us. Mrs BB invested in a day of tailored training and that left her a lot more confident.
@ridinhigh avatar
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts 300i super

Hooked
@ridinhigh avatar
vespa gts 300i super
UTC quote
Re: green tea
[quote="L.A.zybones"]Is medical marijuana legal in your parts. Go to the doctor and tell him/her you need some of that sweet maryjane to help you calm your nerves. Nerd emoticon

I really do not think Kittysaz, will be taking any of that stuff

@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber
UTC quote
bip
Bad Juju.

oooooaaaaa.

Bill x
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I have felt something like that a couple of times. But both were when the scooter felt strange. I thought that maybe the back tire lost pressure, or the shock absorber had gone bad. I checked both, became confident that the bike was fine and regained my confidence.

Give Watson a good check, air pressures, etc. and maybe your confidence will return.
OP
@kittysaz avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kittysaz avatar
UTC quote
[quote="ridinhigh"]
L.A.zybones wrote:
Is medical marijuana legal in your parts. Go to the doctor and tell him/her you need some of that sweet maryjane to help you calm your nerves. Nerd emoticon

Erm. No. I won't...
It's kind of get me the sack.
:-0
OP
@kittysaz avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kittysaz avatar
UTC quote
Darling all

Than you for your kindness and helpful suggestions...

It wasn't a panic attack. I've had those before... It wasn't the same.

Marijuana? Not allowed that. My job makes me subject to random drug testing....

Tyres in good shape, Watson recently serviced...

Bill have you juju'd me????

Now - I don't attend accident scenes any more in my job
But.. Thinking back I watched an episode of 24 hrs in A and E this week... A girl lost her leg in a PTW accident. Shook me up to watch it.
Was it that?? In my subconscious???

I'm ok now.
But it wasn't nice...

Kitty
X
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
I'd bet on A&E. I avoided watching crash stuff related to activities I partook in. Bad juju for me.

Sounds like you know what's up making it an experience you'll file away!

T
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Kittysaz wrote:
D
But.. Thinking back I watched an episode of 24 hrs in A and E this week... A girl lost her leg in a PTW accident. Shook me up to watch it.
Was it that?? In my subconscious???

I'm ok now.
But it wasn't nice...

Kitty
X
I think it's as good a possibility as anything. Mind is weird.

OTOH, wouldn't count Bill out entirely. Nerd emoticon
@sheridat avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 LT SPORT ABS/ASR

Molto Verboso
@sheridat avatar
MP3 500 LT SPORT ABS/ASR
UTC quote
I watched that and yep I can understand why that would surface in the way it did. So sounds like your good to go
x
PS - I don't give them x's out freely
OP
@kittysaz avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kittysaz avatar
UTC quote
sheridat wrote:
I watched that and yep I can understand why that would surface in the way it did. So sounds like your good to go
x
PS - I don't give them x's out freely
I do. Here's ten
Xxxxxxxxxx
OP
@kittysaz avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kittysaz avatar
UTC quote
[quote="tomjasz"]I'd bet on A&E. I avoided watching crash stuff related to activities I partook in. Bad juju for me.

Sounds like you know what's up making it an experience you'll file away!

Didn't think about it till someone mentioned accident
@dmpawley avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 GTS 300 i.e.

Ossessionato
@dmpawley avatar
2013 GTS 300 i.e.
UTC quote
It's possible that you have psychologically normalized and experienced stimuli outside of your accepted parameters which put you ill at ease. Or, simply put, something didn't feel quite right.

Or, you may have subconsciously observed something associated with a past bad experience which recreated emotions from said experience.

Could have been Spidey sense going off. Have you been bitten by a spider recently?
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
UTC quote
Coming at it from a female perspective:

Menopause? Hormons? Hot flash plus anxiety?
@mikenpalsie avatar
UTC

Addicted
gt200

Addicted
@mikenpalsie avatar
gt200
UTC quote
strange experiance
i have never had an experience like that while riding bikes but my wife has, she has ridden her own bikes for over 30 years and is just as skilled as any body i have ever rode with, but the last few years she sometimes get nervous while riding, seems to worry about other traffic, road conditions, animals running out of ditches, the list goes on, she says she feels like she has lost her edge and really does not enjoy it as much as she did when she was younger. she decided to sell her harley last summer, she had become afraid of it and had no desire to ride it any more, she still rides her scooter from time to time but she is starting to think maybe its time to stop riding all together. . perhaps getting a little age and wisdom will change ones perspective on life, i dont know but maybe you are starting to think that way as well ?? hopefully for you it was just an isolated case and you can tuck it away and keep going. nobody knows better than you, stay safe.
@osteopath avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS 250ie, '09 MP3 500, '06 Harley Sportster '14 Ural Gear Up

Molto Verboso
@osteopath avatar
'07 GTS 250ie, '09 MP3 500, '06 Harley Sportster '14 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
There was a disturbance in The Force. You could be Jedi!
@matt6974 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Yamaha MT-07

Hooked
@matt6974 avatar
Yamaha MT-07
UTC quote
Sorry to hear that Kitty, I certainly buy the subconscious explanation.

I've had the heebeejeebees all week after watching a fatal scooter crash vid last weekend. That'll learn me..
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
matt6974 wrote:
Sorry to hear that Kitty, I certainly buy the subconscious explanation.

I've had the heebeejeebees all week after watching a fatal scooter crash vid last weekend. That'll learn me..
Which is exactly why I do not watch crash videos and heck, I won't even watch The Closer episode where the girl gets hit on a pink scooter even though you don't see anything graphic when my husband watches reruns of it (his favorite series.)
@panhead avatar
UTC

2007 LX50

@panhead avatar
2007 LX50
UTC quote
Might not hurt to spend the weekend engaging in whatever activity you find relaxing. For me, that could be nothing anymore complicated than trying to finish cleaning up all the leaves before the snow & cold sets in. Tend to lose myself in a mundane task like raking & filling the compost heap. After awhile I find I'm relating to the trees that caused me all the work.
I believe others might call it 'meditation'.
@rootbeer avatar
UTC

2014 GTV 300ie

@rootbeer avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
I'm glad you're doying better Kitty.
I'm in the "check your equipment group". I'm a cyclist and ride 6000 miles a year. This has happened many times to me. Recently I did a ride about 100 miles. The bike was checked out, cleaned and lubed. I was feeling good and had a strong ride. With 15 miles to go bombing down a hill in traffic at 50 mph hour I got the willies, something was wrong and started seconding guessing the bike. I could swear it felt different. I slowed down, sat up and waited for my buds to catch up. Told them I'm cruising slowly to the finish. I gave up over 20 places in the last few miles but I didn't care. Got to the finish I was shaking, checked the bike out and sure enough it had a 3/4 inch cut on the rear tire right through the rubber to the casing. These were new tires but I must have sliced them in a rock. I parked the bike for 3 months. I'm fine now (of course changed the tire). This is my favorite bike and I've ridden it over 100,000 miles. I know how it feels and I'll never second guess my gut again.

Jim
UTC

Hooked
Currently Vespaless

Hooked
Currently Vespaless
UTC quote
In the 80s, when I owned a motorcycle, I had a minor crash. I didn't get hurt and the bike only suffered minor damage. But it made me nervous to get back on.

The solution was simple - I went on weekend group rides. Something about riding in a pack really boosts your confidence. After a couple of weekends like that, I had no more issues.
@darqmommy avatar
UTC

Lizard Brain
2007 GTS 250, "Vorga"

Lizard Brain
@darqmommy avatar
2007 GTS 250, "Vorga"
UTC quote
I read long ago that we all have to construct a psychological barrier that gives us a feeling of safety in an automobile of any kind. Think about it: we are literally hurtling toward death the entire time we are on the road. This is not meant to be Goth, just a fact of life. We're in tiny cages, rushing at huge immobile buildings and other cages, that's a very scary concept for the deeper mental state.
Why should we be surprised, then, when we feel a wobble in that construct which allows us to exist in that space?
You got a postcard from your lizard brain, that's all!
It's a fact check from the deepest part of you, telling you how crazy you are to be flying at 60-70 mph on a teeny metal office chair!
Guess what? That means you're sane!
OP
@kittysaz avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kittysaz avatar
UTC quote
Thank you all from my heart for your posts and advice...
I'm going to ride my pedal bike with a few gals from work tomorrow morning by the sea.
That should clear the 'webs.
I have a new cycling jersey...
Watch this space....
Have a good evening x
OP
@kittysaz avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kittysaz avatar
UTC quote
Belkwinith wrote:
Coming at it from a female perspective:

Menopause? Hormons? Hot flash plus anxiety?
Could be all those things babe...
Sneaking up on me...
@monit avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300

Molto Verboso
@monit avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
Hmmm and I thought I was the only one who got those attacks.

Great, I feel normal now. Unless of course Kitty you have.....

@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
UTC quote
i get that feeling occasionally, mostly in regards to motorway riding. In my case it's due to a kind of 'subconscious overthinking' ... what might happen if a tyre blew, what might happen if I came off, what might happen if I came off and rolled under the wheels of an HGV, etc. etc. etc. - not things I spend much time thinking about consciously, but they lurk at the edges of consciousness nonetheless, and some days, they break through. Those are generally not good riding days for me.

Sometimes I have to push past them, and I'm always glad I did. I think you probably did the right thing by getting back on and riding home.

Of course, the other option is to give in to your fears and take the bus home - that is the surest cure I know for wanting to get back on the scooter - works every time Razz emoticon
@honeybadger avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 (2) MotoGuzzi California 1400

Molto Verboso
@honeybadger avatar
MP3 500 (2) MotoGuzzi California 1400
UTC quote
There have been a few times where I just don't see the ride going well, so I make other transpo plans. Maybe I am just listening to my "Lizard Brain" as Darqmommy says...

I think we all have a sixth sense built into us. American Cops call it "A hunch." That's the culmination of all the other five senses.--- It is usually advisable to follow that sense. It is hard to explain how a hunch is made...

I won't get religious on the forum, but I tend to get quasi--spiritual on my rides. Maybe that's a hunch that I am about to meet my maker...lol.
I do have a mantra of "XXXXX come ride with me, and don't let the stupid ones find us."
I always ride with more confidence and focus after reciting my mantra.

Hope all is going better for you Sweet Kitty!
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV 400 (21) , BV 350 (16) SOLD :( , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
BV 400 (21) , BV 350 (16) SOLD :( , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018
UTC quote
[quote="ridinhigh"]
L.A.zybones wrote:

And this comes from a guy called "ridinhigh"...... 😄
@voneschenbach avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly

Ossessionato
@voneschenbach avatar
A fracking cage sadly
UTC quote
I agree with the line of thinking that your subconscious is chewing on something that your conscious brain is not yet aware of. You may have seen something out of the corner of your eye that didn't register, etc. Sometimes it's good to listen to your "gut".
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
UTC quote
A lot of us forget that riding a scoot is not the same as driving.

Riding requires that you be much more actively engaged before and during every moment of the ride.

You need to make sure your gear and scoot are in good nic, and then once you set out, you need to actively use your body to set up for every turn and constantly perform active scans of your surroundings to check for cagers who present a potential danger to your continued existence.

Driving requires a much lower level of preparation and concentration to do the minimum that will allow you to arrive safely at your destination. In fact, driving requires so little of your full attention that you can listen to music, talk on the phone, carry on a conversation with other passengers, think about problems at work and what you need to pick up on the way home for dinner... and still not feel you have endangered yourself or others.

Because the bar is so much lower while driving than with riding, and because we tend to (mistakenly) treat them both the same, it is confusing and scary when we have an attack of uncertainty such as you described. After all, most of us haven't had such a panic attack while driving since we were 16, right?

That attack you had is your subconscious screaming at you that you are not focused enough for the task at hand. It is waving a red flag to get your attention so you will realize that either you need to get your mind in the game or leave the scoot and take the bus/tube today.

No shame in that.

There are days when you simply don't have the head-space to handle both life AND riding. Not everyone has a well developed sub-conscious status panel to send up a warning flare when we've exceeded our mental bandwidth.

Knowing you to be an organized, responsible person, it is not surprising at all that, even when preoccupied with a million and one other things, your subconscious mind still felt responsible enough to let you know it wasn't up to keeping you safe on the road.

As unsettling as it may have been... IMHO, it is a good thing to have happen once in awhile.
⚠️ Last edited by Treppenwitz on UTC; edited 1 time
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
As usual, I find myself agreeing with Trepp.

My first thought was the bike. When I feel less confident the first thing I check is tire wear, the second is air pressure.

If those are fine, maybe bearings? Couldn't hurt to have those checked next time Watson is serviced.

Assuming it's not the bike then I side with Trepp.

Riding is a world more complicated than driving.

I remember learning to drive. Crawling in the slow lane, unable to force myself much past 55mph, my body so stiff and tense it was painful. Learning to expand my self-awareness past my body to encompass the car, so that I could navigate on the road with the same ease and abandon as when I walked down stairs, seemed an impossible task.

And what about learning to ride a bike? Or walking for that matter.

Our brains are amazing.

Every now and then the enormity of mindful presence and sheer skill that allows us to take all that information from our environment and manage riding a PTW in heavy traffic at speed where the environment needs to be processed micro-second by micro-second can break through to our conscious and rattle our confidence.

It's a wonder it doesn't happen more often.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1675s ][ Queries: 44 (0.1277s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]