OP
UTC

Enthusiast
LX125

Enthusiast
LX125
UTC quote
Been reading the guides on here for checking the valve clearance, but I have hit on something different on mine. It's a 2012 LX 3V 125. Got the valve cover off and the alternator cover, I can see the arrow on the sprocket turning as I move the fan round, but where is the other mark on a 3V?

On older models it looks like you undo the 3 screws to remove the fan, but on this (reading the workshop manual on scribd) it seems like you have to use a fan holding tool 020442Y and then take all the hub cover off.

Am I missing something!

Carl
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
LX125

Enthusiast
LX125
UTC quote
Gave up in the end

Spoke to my local dealer and they said they wouldn't even consider looking at Vespa tappets until 30000 miles, and then only if they were noisy. They have never dealt with 3v engine tappets and so couldn't offer any advice.

I have put it all back together, it's only done 7500km. Feel a bit shamed for following the service schedule. Clown emoticon
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
30,000 miles before a valve check?
I'm, um, dubious that's good advice.
I'm especially dubious if the dealer meant ALL Vespa motors don't need checking until then.

As I understand it, the first valve check is most important, as most movement happens relatively early in engine life. Whether it's movement or imprecise setting at the factory, well, whatever.

I had a BV 500 that I checked the valves myself at ~6,000 miles. They were off by a few thousandths of an inch. So there's that.
@acejones avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa 946,Yamaha Vino

Addicted
@acejones avatar
Vespa 946,Yamaha Vino
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
30,000 miles before a valve check?
I'm, um, dubious that's good advice.
I'm especially dubious if the dealer meant ALL Vespa motors don't need checking until then.

As I understand it, the first valve check is most important, as most movement happens relatively early in engine life. Whether it's movement or imprecise setting at the factory, well, whatever.

I had a BV 500 that I checked the valves myself at ~6,000 miles. They were off by a few thousandths of an inch. So there's that.
Could you define a few ? That could be a lot or a little.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Specification is 0.15 mm, or about 0.006".
I would estimate the exhaust valves were 0.002" or less clearance. Possibly no clearance.
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV 400 (21) , BV 350 (16) SOLD :( , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
UTC quote
Re: Checking 3V Valve Clearance
carlinski wrote:
Been reading the guides on here for checking the valve clearance, but I have hit on something different on mine. It's a 2012 LX 3V 125. Got the valve cover off and the alternator cover, I can see the arrow on the sprocket turning as I move the fan round, but where is the other mark on a 3V?

On older models it looks like you undo the 3 screws to remove the fan, but on this (reading the workshop manual on scribd) it seems like you have to use a fan holding tool 020442Y and then take all the hub cover off.

Am I missing something!

Carl
Carl i just did mine a couple of weeks ago and my valves were off spec and needed adj.

I moved the valves using the variator. I don't remember 100% but i moved sprocket with the mark to align with a dot on the other side. Just look for the top of the stroke at the same time. Take you time and try again, take some pics of the alignment and post so we can see them. You can work through this trust me. The dealer who told you not to adj valves is way off. Since i did mine the scooter is running way better and isn't too noisy compared to before i did them. Good Luck
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
LX125

Enthusiast
LX125
UTC quote
I did them last night using just the top mark. They werent off at all. Dont know whether I was hoping they were out or not!

I agree though, a lot of dealers choose to ignore the actual service schedule. When I took it for its first 1000km they admitted they hadnt checked the valve clearance, as piaggio suggest.
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
UTC quote
carlinski wrote:
I did them last night using just the top mark. They werent off at all. Dont know whether I was hoping they were out or not!

I agree though, a lot of dealers choose to ignore the actual service schedule. When I took it for its first 1000km they admitted they hadnt checked the valve clearance, as piaggio suggest.
Good it worked out for you. At least you know where you stand and have something to compare it too when you do your next one.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0311s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0087s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]