OP
@teapotdome avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 GT (sold) 2015 GTS (sold) 2007 LX (sold)

Molto Verboso
@teapotdome avatar
UTC quote
I've located a brand new 2009 GTS250 Super at a local motorcycle (and apparently, former Vespa) dealer. I haven't actually seen it yet, but I'm told it's been sitting, on the center stand, in a climate-controlled showroom, unfueled and with no battery installed for five years. I'm also told it carries the full 12-month factory warranty.

As for what it might need to be roadworthy, changing the coolant comes to mind, as does changing the engine and diff oil. What about fuel lines, brake fluid, the fuel pump recall, and anything else I've forgotten? If YOU were considering buying this scooter, what would you do to assure its safe operation?

I know this question has been asked/reasked/answered/reanswered several times on the forum, but alas, my Search skills seem to be useless in finding any old related threads.

Thanks in advance!
@sheridat avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 LT SPORT ABS/ASR

Molto Verboso
@sheridat avatar
MP3 500 LT SPORT ABS/ASR
UTC quote
Your are right there have been a lot of threads on this subject in the past.

Only obvious thing you have missed to my mind is the tyres - have a good look at them and make sure they haven't got flat spots or the rubber itself isn't perished.

Get the dealer to PDI it and apply any software updates it should have.

That 12 months warranty sounds very good.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
No matter what replace the tires, life of a tire is 5-6 years.
Then, oils, coolant and brake fluid.
@joe_schmoe avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@joe_schmoe avatar
UTC quote
Maybe you can ask the selling dealer to get it road worthy by doing the tires, oil etc. ?

No point in taking it out of there without them done. I don't remember all of the recalls for that year but I believe there was an exhaust gasket recall too.

I'm having a hard time understanding how there is a brand new 2009 GTS 250 just sitting at a dealer. What was the reason?
@acejones avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa 946,Yamaha Vino

Addicted
@acejones avatar
Vespa 946,Yamaha Vino
UTC quote
What do you think may have happened to the engine and diff oil ? Or for that matter the brake fluid.
@cosmos avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 LX 150, 2008 GTS 250

Addicted
@cosmos avatar
2009 LX 150, 2008 GTS 250
UTC quote
My impression from an engineers prospective is the oils are fine but the brake fluid and possibly the coolant has expired.

Bill
@big_boys_mother avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster

Molto Verboso
@big_boys_mother avatar
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster
UTC quote
JOE SCHMOE wrote:
Maybe you can ask the selling dealer to get it road worthy by doing the tires, oil etc. ?...
+1
For grins, when you get a look at it, check the date each tire was manufactured. This in and of itself, can help lower the price, or, separately, negotiate the price of the 2009 (to include new tires). Here's a link from the AMA, How to read a motorcycle tire, if you do not know where to look for the manufacture date.

Look to the right of DOT for manufacturing date.

I do not know about the fluids, etc. sitting for so, so long, but, I do know tires! I can even tell you the specific manufacturing plant for the tire, if interested.
How To Read Sidewall ... Manufactured in the 50th week of 2008
How To Read Sidewall ... Manufactured in the 50th week of 2008
NHTSA Recommendations ...
NHTSA Recommendations ...
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Cosmos wrote:
My impression from an engineers prospective is the oils are fine but the brake fluid and possibly the coolant has expired.

Bill
Agree. Assuming the 250 was no different, the coolant and brake fluid replacement on the GTS 300 service schedule is every 2 years if mileage doesn't apply.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@teapotdome avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@teapotdome avatar
UTC quote
Re: Raising One from the Dead
teapotdome wrote:
I've located a brand new 2009 GTS250 Super at a local motorcycle (and apparently, former Vespa) dealer. I haven't actually seen it yet, but I'm told it's been sitting, on the center stand, in a climate-controlled showroom, unfueled and with no battery installed for five years. I'm also told it carries the full 12-month factory warranty.

As for what it might need to be roadworthy, changing the coolant comes to mind, as does changing the engine and diff oil. What about fuel lines, brake fluid, the fuel pump recall, and anything else I've forgotten? If YOU were considering buying this scooter, what would you do to assure its safe operation?

I know this question has been asked/reasked/answered/reanswered several times on the forum, but alas, my Search skills seem to be useless in finding any old related threads.

Thanks in advance!
Thanks to all for your guidance and wisdom on this scooter purchase.

In the end, we couldn't get together on price. For his "best" price, I could buy a 2013 GTS300ie locally; so, everybody wins, I guess...

Again, I appreciate everyone's help and expertise.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
UTC

Hooked
Currently Vespaless

Hooked
Currently Vespaless
UTC quote
I guess the guy's going to be sitting on it for another 5 years. I never understood this mentality. I'm in the sporting goods business and I'd far rather have cash in the bank than old product sitting, gathering dust. In this case, since it's a one-off, he's in no danger of devaluing his product.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0663s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0398s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]