"Senior" Riders
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12345
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:30 am quote
Mickeyfan1 wrote:
Bought my first Vespa (Allstate) in 1957. I was 14 years old. One could ride in Ohio on a permit at that age back then. The photo was taken in 1959 when I was 16. Yes, I did the funky paint job. I have no idea what year the Allstate was as I bought it used. Paid for it with my paper route. I used that Allstate for that paper route since some of it was out in the country. It served me well.
I have had a variety of bikes throughout the years. Never being without something to ride and tinker with. I am now 75 years old and at present I own a 1999 Harley Davidson FXDX, a 2005 Stella and a 1965 VBB barn find that I fully restored. I think I ride that VBB the most. Its just plain fun!
Me too, age & paper route but zero Vespas until ten years ago, just lots of 2T dirt bikes but enough Vespas now to make up for lost time. I reposted this just to show off a little and because I like the pic. So... '55 Chevy behind you, right? And that is a sweet old widebody handlebar AllState, now I am jealous.

Stella 2T 150, Honda C70
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:32 pm quote
48 now. Had a Yamaha 70 when I was a kid that spent more time stolen than ridden. Then 5 years ago i found a Honda Passport in a ditch while walking the dog. Brought it home, back to life, and tuned it as far as I could within fairly stock parameters. That took me through 2 years of daily commuting but at a top speed of 43 with a tailwind in a tuck, it wasn't quite enough. I stumbled into a Stella about 3 months ago and now the Honda just sniffles in the corner of the garage.

Hal

honda.jpg

stella.jpg

Hooked
2010 GTS 300(Sold) 2008 Silverwing "Train"/2006 GT200L "Lone Star"
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:45 pm quote
62 now. Started with a Briggs and Stratton powered mini-bike at 12, Honda SL100 at 14, and many different flavors since then; singles, twins, triples, fours; two and four stroke; dirt, street, cafe, touring, scooters; new and used; 50cc-1100cc.

I enjoy bringing broken and neglected bikes back to life and passing them on to new owners more than riding, to be honest.

I still like to ride, but I am largely a fair weather rider these days.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:46 pm quote
Hey Lucky Bear Fat, how about changing the title a little?

Now I wanna know all the youngest kids we got here too!

Yoohoo! Any teenagers present?
Molto Verboso
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Mal 177 MKIII in pieces
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:38 am quote
39. got my first ptw just over a year ago. already have had 3. 1 auto sold. both my 2 strokes are in pieces currently. . My uncle who gave the first stella to me keeps bugging me to get a harley. I really want a sportster 48, but can't seem to really do it cause I love the vespas way too much!
Hooked
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:38 am quote
swiss1939 wrote:
39. got my first ptw just over a year ago. already have had 3. 1 auto sold. both my 2 strokes are in pieces currently. . My uncle who gave the first stella to me keeps bugging me to get a harley. I really want a sportster 48, but can't seem to really do it cause I love the vespas way too much!
I've owned two Harleys, including a Sportster I custom ordered from the factory. Sold it after a year. Beautifully made, but underpowered and uncomfortable. Plus, Sportsters are looked at as "chick" Harleys within the "brotherhood"-not my opinion, but I heard that a lot, and ultimately sold mine to a woman biker.

Harleys are aspirational "lifestyle" products, in my opinion. The bikes are rolling expressions of group membership. If you like the leather, fringe, chaps, beards, and pseudo bad boy tribal scene, you'll enjoy ownership.

Ironically, scooters (and, especially, Vespas) are much the same-look at the Mods movement, ska music, riding in packs, discussions of clothing and imagery, etc. Vespas are also aspirational-expensive for what you get, relative to a conventional motorcycle or Japanese scooter, but quirky and unique. Like Harleys, just in a different direction.
Molto Verboso
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Mal 177 MKIII in pieces
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:09 am quote
25BIKEZ wrote:
Plus, Sportsters are looked at as "chick" Harleys within the "brotherhood"-not my opinion, but I heard that a lot, and ultimately sold mine to a woman biker.

Harleys are aspirational "lifestyle" products, in my opinion. The bikes are rolling expressions of group membership. If you like the leather, fringe, chaps, beards, and pseudo bad boy tribal scene, you'll enjoy ownership.

Ironically, scooters (and, especially, Vespas) are much the same-look at the Mods movement, ska music, riding in packs, discussions of clothing and imagery, etc. Vespas are also aspirational-expensive for what you get, relative to a conventional motorcycle or Japanese scooter, but quirky and unique. Like Harleys, just in a different direction.
I have never been one to care what other people think about stuff like that. In fact I think 90% of the harley models are butt ugly, anything with fairings and saddlebags is atrocious to me. The sportster 48 is the only harley I like, and even at that.. I would remove almost all the styling on it and chop it into a bobber like such:

Funny thing though, my uncle who gave me my first PTW, stella 2 stroke, is an old school MC guy still member of his club over 40 yrs every bit the part of the toughest guys you've seen on a Harley. He rode this little red stella to work for over 2 years in his club colors and would challenge guys on motorcycles to drag race at red lights for a laugh. Needless to say, bucking the trend and giving two shits is in the family. ha!

The only thing preventing me from getting that other bike is I can't really rationalize spending money on a 3rd ptw when I have a stella and a vintage vespa I really like. When I get them both on the road again, I just can't see using all 3 enough to justify owning all 3, and the vespas will win out. Especially with a small garage, I don't want to give up all available space in garage for storing them squeezed in there.
2016 sprint 150 / 2005 PX 150 / 2012 HD FXE
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:00 am quote
62 here. Riding since 1969

4C9DD4CF-9B0C-485A-979C-903769B37EFD.jpeg

Molto Verboso

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:03 am quote
25BIKEZ wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
I've owned two Harleys, including a Sportster I custom ordered from the factory. Sold it after a year. Beautifully made, but underpowered and uncomfortable. Plus, Sportsters are looked at as "chick" Harleys within the "brotherhood"-not my opinion, but I heard that a lot, and ultimately sold mine to a woman biker.

a funny story about the "chick" Harley's...

A couple years ago i was looking for a low hour/mile KTM 300 xc-w dirtbike, and i found one in Texas (i'm in Oregon). I was planning on a VERY long road trip to go buy it. The owner ended up telling me he has a few Harley's as well. He said that many years ago he sold one to Chuck Norris. Not personally to Chuck, but the film crew for the TV show Walker Texas Ranger needed a Harley for a chase scene in the show, and they bought his. He was super pumped about it! Since the producers of the show told him the date that the episode would be televised, the guy ended up inviting a whole bunch of his friends over to watch the show so that they could see his bike. Anyhow turned out that in the episode a "chick" was actually riding the bike and not Chuck. The "chick" (on purpose) crashed (and totalled) the bike because that's what was scripted. All of the guy's friends made fun of him for many years after that because he once rode a "chick's" Harley! It was a pretty funny story. He also told me how he recently accidentally joined a gay motorcycle dirtbike club. He didn't realize it until after they asked him to not bring his wife to the meetings. They finally explained to him that is was a "gay" motorcycle club. He ended up getting asked to leave because he was straight. He said he was a bit bummed out about the whole thing. He said he just wanted to hang out with other dudes and go ride dirtbikes! I'm sure he had even many more funny stories like that!
Hooked
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:34 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
25BIKEZ wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:

a funny story about the "chick" Harley's...

A couple years ago i was looking for a low hour/mile KTM 300 xc-w dirtbike, and i found one in Texas (i'm in Oregon). I was planning on a VERY long road trip to go buy it. The owner ended up telling me he has a few Harley's as well. He said that many years ago he sold one to Chuck Norris. Not personally to Chuck, but the film crew for the TV show Walker Texas Ranger needed a Harley for a chase scene in the show, and they bought his. He was super pumped about it! Since the producers of the show told him the date that the episode would be televised, the guy ended up inviting a whole bunch of his friends over to watch the show so that they could see his bike. Anyhow turned out that in the episode a "chick" was actually riding the bike and not Chuck. The "chick" (on purpose) crashed (and totalled) the bike because that's what was scripted. All of the guy's friends made fun of him for many years after that because he once rode a "chick's" Harley! It was a pretty funny story. He also told me how he recently accidentally joined a gay motorcycle dirtbike club. He didn't realize it until after they asked him to not bring his wife to the meetings. They finally explained to him that is was a "gay" motorcycle club. He ended up getting asked to leave because he was straight. He said he was a bit bummed out about the whole thing. He said he just wanted to hang out with other dudes and go ride dirtbikes! I'm sure he had even many more funny stories like that!
Two funny anecdotes in one post! Well done.
Molto Verboso
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:31 pm quote
59 years, i started driving at 13, with my uncle's Vespa 125 V33T; the list of my two-wheeled vehicles is below in the signature.

Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:53 am quote
57 - Am I old enough to post here?!?

Been riding since I could walk, or close to it anyway.

Volume-23 (27).JPG
I'm in the middle, with my two brothers!

Suzuki450.JPG
Suzuki 450T - Early 80s

20190914_103609_resized.jpg
My P200 is around there somewhere...

Addicted
Honda elite
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:48 pm quote
Outstanding fatbear if I make it to 75 hope I’m still riding a Vespa
Hooked
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:02 pm quote
qascooter wrote:

I had a black and gold GS450S I bought new. Took a 2000 mile trip in the early 80s on it. Bulletproof motor.
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:38 pm quote
qascooter wrote:

Qa—Love all your pics here, but the one with your brothers is totally awesome! Great pose, great memories, and great parents (cause the helmets). Thanks for sharing!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:47 pm quote
Well Scott, maybe you started younger and I'm maybe four or five times your age here when I got started seriously, but I DO have a much more POWERFUL Hodaka Ace 90 here.

BTW, were you ALL maniacs? Is that your Dad doing the dirt burnout in the background in that hot Mopar hardtop?

IMG_20191110_223121605.jpg
That's my son KC in the red shirt, who now has the family Rally 200 and takes his lil girl Lucy riding with him(with her helmet on of course!)

Molto Verboso
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:06 am quote
25BIKEZ wrote:
I had a black and gold GS450S I bought new. Took a 2000 mile trip in the early 80s on it. Bulletproof motor.
Bulletproof! I loved that bike! It took me more places than I can count. Up and down the west coast, the desert, etc. I went 107, tucked down, on the 5, next to a car, so I know how fast I was going Can you say young and dumb?.
Kimono32 wrote:
Qa—Love all your pics here, but the one with your brothers is totally awesome! Great pose, great memories, and great parents (cause the helmets). Thanks for sharing!
Thanks K! I believe that picture was in Mexico. My dad took 3300 slides (from the late 50's to the late 70's), and for their 60th, I converted them to digital. Now all us kids (5 of us) have all the slides.

My parents took us everywhere, and we always spent Easter in Baja California. Catholic mass on Easter Sunday in Mexico - what a trip. Then riding the mini bike back to the converted school bus (yes, like the Partridge family, but way cooler). Great memories indeed!
V oodoo wrote:
BTW, were you ALL maniacs? Is that your Dad doing the dirt burnout in the background in that hot Mopar hardtop?
Hahaha - you crack me up T! The Mopar was just a car passing by on the highway.

Dad bought three mini bikes for $50. It was a big deal back then and we all worked on them to get them running. Mean Green was my machine. Big Yellow older brother Bruces. BUT - mine rarely broke down and would take me everywhere. I towed Big Yellow back to the bus on many occasion

I'm glad to see you got your kids riding!

And LuckyBear - sorry for the threadjack. I'll stop posting irrelevant pictures now.

Volume-23 (55).JPG
Church in Mexico

Volume-17 (88).JPG
Dad surveying the beach from the bus. It was a blast to jump out the back BTW. Run and fly out the back door and roll in the sand...

Volume-17 (86).JPG
My brothers and sisters, and me.

Hooked
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:57 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
Well Scott, maybe you started younger and I'm maybe four or five times your age here when I got started seriously, but I DO have a much more POWERFUL Hodaka Ace 90 here.

Hodaka! Best names ever. Combat Wombat! Road Toad! Super Rat!

I had a Suzuki Dual Purpose TS100 in high school and lusted after the Hodakas in the showroom.

Memories.

Wish I'd shot slide film back in the day instead of prints and polaroids. Kodak's slide chemistry has held up remarkably well over many decades, but much of the print stuff, especially Kodacolor, has not.
Enthusiast
PX150E
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:41 pm quote
My 3 Italian ladies....
Well, a little about me; 65 years old, riding since I was 15. I learned to ride in Italy on a 1968 Vespa 50 Special. My current rides are in the pictures, and my 1985PX150E gets ridden the most.
I bought it new in 1987 and now it has over 40 thousand miles. I use to commute to work on most days, as well as for running errands because it is so practical and useful to carry things. I can easily do my weekly grocery shopping with it.
Just remember one thing: you don't stop riding because you get old; you get old after you stop riding.....

Le mie moto2.jpg

Le mie moto6.jpg

le mie moto3.jpg

Le mie moto7.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:35 pm quote
sp949, what the hell are you doing, still werkin' at your age?
With three lovely Italian ladies like that I can see some added expense, but you really need to use your time more to enjoy them, sez a guy older than you.

You don't think : you don't stop werkin' because you get old; you get old after you stop werkin'..... , do you? This is only a false rumor, trust me.
Enthusiast
PX150E
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:09 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
sp949, what the hell are you doing, still werkin' at your age?
With three lovely Italian ladies like that I can see some added expense, but you really need to use your time more to enjoy them, sez a guy older than you.

You don't think : you don't stop werkin' because you get old; you get old after you stop werkin'..... , do you? This is only a false rumor, trust me.
I knew some one here would ask me that question!
Yes, I am retiring finally in 6 months, and do plan to spent more time riding.
Molto Verboso
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:49 pm quote
I'm diggin that Benelli SP! Looking good and very nice rides!
Molto Verboso

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:40 pm quote
I’ll play today because it’s my birthday! I just turned 44 today! I started out riding a super tiny Yamaha PW50 dirtbike....two up because that’s how young I was. It was my friend’s bike, and we would switch off on who would ride the other. That was probably back in 3rd grade. My parents didn’t deem that a dirtbike was necessary on a farm. I did have a super crappy 3-wheeler that was 100% reliable, 30% of the time. I did get to ride friend’s dirtbikes from time to time though. I finally saved up my money and bought a 1983 Honda XR200R (it had mono-shock) back in 1992. I would have been about 16 years old then. I had to hide that dirtbike out back behind the barn so my parents wouldn’t find out about it. I ended up getting a Honda Elite 50 around 1995. I bought a couple 1979 Montgomery Wards “Open Road” mopeds in ‘96. I then bought my first Vespa (a P200) in 1999 when I was about 23 years old. I raced scooters for about 5 years (from 2008 to about 2013) It’s been uphill ever since. I currently have a gob of well running Vespas and two sweet Lambrettas (Golden Specials). I also have 4 KTM dirtbikes (300, 525, 640A, 950A) and compete in enduro and desert races a few times a year. I’ve had a sport bike for a short period, and they look cool, but they just weren’t “me”. I’m pretty much a scooter and a dirtbike guy and nothing else.

Here’s a picture of my friend and I riding 2 up on my ‘79 Open Road moped. This was summer of 1996. I’m on the front, and he’s on the phone on back. For some reason we’re both wearing wigs...

Cheers!

153EB7AC-D891-4BC7-A5AB-9D3EEF9F96B1.jpeg

Molto Verboso

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:42 pm quote
And another picture back in 1996 riding 4 up! I’m the one on the very back trying to hang on!

7D21BB14-231E-4A32-9EF7-116D56366F8E.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:48 pm quote
^^^ Rear tire needs air, no?
Molto Verboso
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:54 am quote
whodatschrome wrote:
I’ll play today because it’s my birthday! I just turned 44 today!
Happy Birthday WhoDat! Great story, your riding life is! Thanks for sharing...
Hooked
GTS 300
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:45 pm quote
Started riding at 12yr's , parents too poor to buy me anything with a motor.

So being mechanically inclined, worked on all the rich kids Vespa's and Lambretta's. Got a lot of seat time doing test rides

Finally got enough $$ put together ,and with a buddy we built out of a pile of parts, a Whizzer Sportsman .

Continued riding all brands of bikes until age 72 , had a stroke.
Sold off all my bikes .
Thought I was done riding for good.

Got the bug real bad again and at 75yr's bought my first new Vespa GTS300 Touring .

The adventure continues.
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:21 pm quote
So many great pics in this thread! Very much enjoying.

Attila—both shots are great! But extra liking that vintage denim-on-denim, who knows what you’re riding?, 80’s spectacular! Rad goggles!

kb6-emh—I have a sneaking suspicion you two went to senior prom together. Your pose is just too cute! Beautiful, really.

Whodat—the wigs rock. And the corded phone. But, seriously? You were able to hide a dirt bike behind the barn? What? Like your parents never circled around while feeding the hogs and noticed anything NEW parked back there?

V oodoo—your son’s t shirt is bringing me all the way back. I think my oldest brother had that I’m a Pepper red classic. Nice bike, too. How’s about a pic of that family Rally?

Sp949–the Vespa is the Bestpa!

Fatbear—Happy Birthday! Great pic on the P. May you have another golden year of riding ahead of you!

Keep posting, people. I’m not a senior yet, so I can’t.
Molto Verboso

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:41 pm quote
Kimono32 wrote:
Whodat—the wigs rock. And the corded phone. But, seriously? You were able to hide a dirt bike behind the barn? What? Like your parents never circled around while feeding the hogs and noticed anything NEW parked back there?
We had 10 acres, so “things” could easily get hidden around the farm. One of my friends hid his car in the back pasture for 3 months without telling any of us. Apparently he put his car back there to hide it from HIS parents! We only found out that it was there when he finally drove his car out of the pasture months later.

And hog farm?...nope, just one pig. We never went “whole hog” with the swine, just one rescue “miniature” 220lb Pot Belly pig who likes to cuddle on lazy hot summer’s days.

Pic from last summer of me, the dog, and “Bentley”. It was too hot out to work, so we took a breather out in the orchard, under the walnut tree.

B305BE80-86D2-4556-B91F-A97185EF783D.jpeg

Hooked
'66 Super 150
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:09 pm quote
Seriously great pic, whodat!

Bentley seems to be a bit of a camera hog......
Molto Verboso
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:43 am quote
Whodat - That is the BEST picture! I love it! All three of you look very happy! That's awesome.....
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:00 am quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Kimono32 wrote:
We had 10 acres, so “things” could easily get hidden around the farm. One of my friends hid his car in the back pasture for 3 months without telling any of us. Apparently he put his car back there to hide it from HIS parents! We only found out that it was there when he finally drove his car out of the pasture months later.

And hog farm?...nope, just one pig. We never went “whole hog” with the swine, just one rescue “miniature” 220lb Pot Belly pig who likes to cuddle on lazy hot summer’s days.

Pic from last summer of me, the dog, and “Bentley”. It was too hot out to work, so we took a breather out in the orchard, under the walnut tree.
Which end of that dog are we looking at!?

O.S.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12345
[ Time: 0.1800s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0393s) ][ Debug on ]