"Senior" Riders
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123456
Ossessionato
1980 P200E , 2005 Stella 177
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:02 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
FridayMatinee wrote:
I'll be 44 in 2 weeks. Time flies.

Was a bmx bandit as a kid, never really cared for motorized 2 wheelers back then. As I got older and couldn't ride a bmx bike anymore I upgraded to a road 10 speed bike and raced that around for a while till a crash made holding myself up on handle bars not enjoyable at all (my whole arm goes "dead" after about 15 mins on a pedal bike). But before that happened I had a friend from my mid 20's bmx days who had a sweet fast as hell Vespa. One day we were standing out front of some bar on the "hippest street in town" (you old timers may get that pop culture reference maybe), and a guy pulled up to the red light in a muscle car and honked and asked my friend if he wanted to race. He shook my hand and said see ya later to me. Light turned green and he smoked the ever living daylights out of that car. Wanted one ever since but have been way too poor as a musician. Retired from touring and finally have a stable home and got a Vespa finally. I had a Kinetic moped about 20 years ago that I got off ebay and it was so much fun but so so crappily made. Got a 2005 Yamaha Vino in a trade for a guitar speaker cabinet I was no longer in need of. Wrenched on that for a year and a half then started the search for the Vespa.

It's obviously a mid life crisis. Lol.
PX with a BMX
the looks you must get when driving around with that...

nice custom mount you made for it though!
Hooked
1958 Allstate Super Cruisaire 2005 70cc Yamaha Vino
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:42 pm quote
That's a genius set up!

I have a friend who rigged up something like that to take his mountain bike on his motorcycle. I'll have to see if I can get some pics of it
Ossessionato

Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:36 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
FridayMatinee wrote:
I'll be 44 in 2 weeks. Time flies.

Was a bmx bandit as a kid, never really cared for motorized 2 wheelers back then. As I got older and couldn't ride a bmx bike anymore I upgraded to a road 10 speed bike and raced that around for a while till a crash made holding myself up on handle bars not enjoyable at all (my whole arm goes "dead" after about 15 mins on a pedal bike). But before that happened I had a friend from my mid 20's bmx days who had a sweet fast as hell Vespa. One day we were standing out front of some bar on the "hippest street in town" (you old timers may get that pop culture reference maybe), and a guy pulled up to the red light in a muscle car and honked and asked my friend if he wanted to race. He shook my hand and said see ya later to me. Light turned green and he smoked the ever living daylights out of that car. Wanted one ever since but have been way too poor as a musician. Retired from touring and finally have a stable home and got a Vespa finally. I had a Kinetic moped about 20 years ago that I got off ebay and it was so much fun but so so crappily made. Got a 2005 Yamaha Vino in a trade for a guitar speaker cabinet I was no longer in need of. Wrenched on that for a year and a half then started the search for the Vespa.

It's obviously a mid life crisis. Lol.
PX with a BMX
the looks you must get when driving around with that...

nice custom mount you made for it though!
Yeah, lots of looks, but for some reason no glaring looks from the police yet. I guess they see enough crazy stuff on the roads, that they're willing to look past this contraption. It's super sketchy at 70mph. It's even more sketchy when trying to ride twisty loose gravel roads with the bike on the back!
Ossessionato

Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:56 pm quote
FridayMatinee wrote:
That's a genius set up!

I have a friend who rigged up something like that to take his mountain bike on his motorcycle. I'll have to see if I can get some pics of it
It took me about a month to figure out in my mind how the BMX was going to be mounted on the scooter. All i knew was that i wanted BMX upside down. Once i figured it out in my head, i fabbed up everything in a day. I have a pile of steel remnants in my shop, so all the material was there to make it happen. It takes about 2 seconds to mount the bike in the rack, and it takes less than a second to remove it. I've modified it some since i took this pic, so that there is no need to strap the bike down. The reason i built is was because during the summertime, i do a mountain bike race series (yes, on my BMX), and since the races are Monday afternoon/evenings, traffic is super bad. I can easily lane filter on the highways and inner city throughfares. The race is about 30 miles from my house, and the scooter is a perfect way to travel! And yeah, i be snappen people's necks when they see me coming!

I know 2x2 Cycles makes racks for motorcycles. I also did notice that they came out with a new style of bike carrier about a year after i built mine. Most all cycling communities are farily tight knit, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone sent them a pic of my rig. Then 2x2 built something somewhat similar to mine, but could be univeral to fit many different bikes and motos.
Molto Verboso
79 P200E, 62 Allstate, 2008 Stella
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:05 am quote
That's a badass setup WhoDat!
Addicted
P125X, P200E
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:01 pm quote
This isn't actually a "Senior Riders" post, except that perhaps it is something that some of us Seniors might have done when we were Juniors. I just liked the pic and wanted to post it but I didn't want to create a whole new thread. I'm not worried about hijacking someone else's thread... I'm the one who started it.

Oops.jpg

Hooked
1958 Allstate Super Cruisaire 2005 70cc Yamaha Vino
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:21 am quote
when I was about 9 my grandfather took me to get a haircut, the barber shop was across the street from the bike shop. While waiting for my turn I was looking out the window and there was an older kid wheeling down the sidewalk out front of the bike shop. He's doing pretty well until, his forks fell right off and he hit the ground so hard I swear I could hear him from inside across the street. I probably tighten my stems to 40lb tq now lol
Enthusiast
2020 GTS300 HPE
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:18 am quote
67 and I thought I was crazy
At 67 years old, I bought a Vespa in December 2020 and have only gotten to ride it for 4 miles.

I've been on motorcycles for 20 years, bicycles for about 3, which taught me alot about being on 2 wheeled things (pre-motorcycles).

My first scooter ride was when I was in 1st grade. I stood in front on the floor and held the handlebars while my dad took me for a ride! No pictures, so I understand it doesn't count on here! haha.... I credit my dad for the scooter bug. And I figured I could handle a scooter better than a motorcycle now. Getting kind of anxious to ride, and still waiting for 2 accessories.

With proper care for both of us (scooter and driver), I hope to ride for many years. I decided I am not crazy to do this.
Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Francesca, 2006 Vespa LX150, Sofia, 2007 Vespa GT200, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:46 pm quote
Re: 67 and I thought I was crazy
priscillaj wrote:
With proper care for both of us (scooter and driver), I hope to ride for many years. I decided I am not crazy to do this.
Definitely not too old, and crazy doesn't come into it. Enjoy!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a red lipstick '74 sprint
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:29 am quote
Well, i was with a whole group of senior this days

For truth they make me remember my times in high school when we were riding in group on a vespa (no matter what kind a vespa u have)

IMG-20210214-WA0017.jpg

Rallies Europe 2016   DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123456
[ Time: 0.1601s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0388s) ][ Debug on ]