Any firsthand experience on the Autostrade via Vespa?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
'64 Gran Lusso, '74 Rally, '12 300 SS
Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:45 am quote
Has anyone ridden on the Autostrade for any amount of time on a Vespa 300?

I need to go from Torino to Lucca in one day; while I would like to stick to back roads, there's really no way around getting on the A12 between Genoa and Pisa. I've driven this route in a car before - I recall seeing a few touring motorcycles, but no scooters. Google Street view didn't turn up any scoots along the few miles I searched, either.

My other option is to travel by motorcycle and then rent something smaller (150cc) once I'm in Tuscany.

I've done 130kph on a 300 before, but between flirting with the rev limiter and being blown around by 18 wheelers, it wasn't a fun experience. I'm wondering how smart it is to commit to 3 hours of it in Italy...

Is there anyone out there with firsthand experience? Am I worrying about nothing or should I chose something a little larger for the ride down? Thnx!
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:20 pm quote
I've done many hundreds of miles (km) on the Autostrade, all on a GT200. Perfectly capable, but you do have to time your overtakes!

I'm sure you know, but for anyone else contemplating this, the Autostrade is toll-free for PTWs. This fact isn't well advertised; many of the entry road markings have worn off, but PTWs enter via the 'wide load' gate where there's a gap in the middle.
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:46 pm quote
We did 15 km outside of Ancona by accident on our two scooters (look at my profile). Was quite exciting, illegal for Mrs Av, and mercifully, we only remember that we did it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:28 pm quote
Rode a couple of hours from Aosta via the E64 Autostrada north of Milan to Brescia last June as part of our ride to Vespa World Days in Mantova (in a heatwave). Not the most pleasant and enjoyable riding of that trip, but all 4 of us on 300s survived intact to tell the tale and having had that baptism I'd do it again, older and wiser
Enthusiast
'64 Gran Lusso, '74 Rally, '12 300 SS
Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:19 pm quote
jimc & brown_beret7: Thanks! That's the intel I was looking for! The 300 it is, then. I just needed to know that it was doable.

Also, being able to zip through the Wide Load gap at tolls is new & valuable information. I would have queued up with the cars until someone set me straight...

I think a 200 would be a lot of fun, but there seem to be few on the ground when it comes to rentals. I'm trying to strike a balance between being able to get somewhere and being able to find parking once I arrive. I'll also be huffing it down a quarter flight of stairs at night and then back up every morning during a five day stay with a friend in Assisi. She says she does this by herself most days, but I'm pretty sure she rides an older 50cc Honda moped. We'll see how it goes with something that weighs North of 300 lbs...

I may also have to scratch my Not-So-Modern itch by finding a shifty for a day or two. I'm a little disappointed in that many companies offering "classic Vespa" rentals turn out to be letting out Stellas. I'm wondering if it's more trouble than it's worth or if I'd regret missing the chance to ride something older than I am in its natural habitat.

Again, thanks again for the quick replies!
Addicted
2005 GTS 250ie
Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:48 pm quote
brown_beret7 wrote:
Rode a couple of hours from Aosta via the E64 Autostrada north of Milan to Brescia last June as part of our ride to Vespa World Days in Mantova (in a heatwave). Not the most pleasant and enjoyable riding of that trip, but all 3 of us on 300s AND 1 x 250 survived intact to tell the tale and having had that baptism I'd do it again, older and wiser
Fixed that for you

I wish we had known that Jim. We paid tolls on the Autostrada! We took the ticket on entry and of course they were happy to take the money off us on exit!
Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:32 pm quote
bcanon wrote:
I may also have to scratch my Not-So-Modern itch by finding a shifty for a day or two. I'm a little disappointed in that many companies offering "classic Vespa" rentals turn out to be letting out Stellas. I'm wondering if it's more trouble than it's worth or if I'd regret missing the chance to ride something older than I am in its natural habitat.
Contact Roberto at this shop in Pontedera and tell him Alberto from the Vespa Club del Mediterraneo sent you. While he doesn't normally rent his shifties for non-guided tour riding, he might budge a bit

http://motorcyclerentalitaly.com/scooters-and-vespa/

Also, one of the guys in the Vespa Club citta di Massa Marittima was working on opening a shop with vintage large frames for rent. Great club and great bunch of guys.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vespaclub-citta-di-Massa-marittima/211539952303603?sk=info
Molto Verboso
2016 Piaggio BV-350
Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:27 am quote
Aviator47 wrote:
bcanon wrote:
Contact Roberto at this shop in Pontedera and tell him Alberto from the Vespa Club del Mediterraneo sent you. While he doesn't normally rent his shifties for non-guided tour riding, he might budge a bit

http://motorcyclerentalitaly.com/scooters-and-vespa/

Also, one of the guys in the Vespa Club citta di Massa Marittima was working on opening a shop with vintage large frames for rent. Great club and great bunch of guys.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vespaclub-citta-di-Massa-marittima/211539952303603?sk=info
This post typifies the awesomeness of MV and it's members.
Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:10 am quote
DaveLX wrote:
This post typifies the awesomeness of MV and it's members.
Not to mention the Vespa Club del Mediterraneo, which has its roots in MV.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1518s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0259s) ][ Debug on ]