Piaggio Zip 50 to 80cc 4T
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Piaggio Zip 80cc 4T
Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:40 am quote
Hi,

I thought I would share a project of mine with you it's a modern Auto Zip 4T with quite a few engine mods.

All the work on the scooter as with all my projects I do have been completed by myself in my workshop

the specs
Malossi 80cc Kit
Malossi Power Cam
Ported & Polished head
S6 Delorto Carb
S6 Manual Choke
TK S/S Exhaust
Polini Variator
Polini Kevlar Belt
Polini Evo 3G Clutch
Polini Evo 2 Clutch Bell
S6 Tacho/Temp
Polini Evo Filter (Warm summer weather)
Std airbox with Filter (Wet Winter weather)

The scooter is currently in storage due to having just moved house, plans for it now are hopefully in the summer next year to get it back on the road for some fine tuning and tweaking by the way of setting the transmission up better and converting the front end to a Zip SP mono shock with better adjustable shocks front and rear.

hopefully if all goes to plan the year after I want to do a couple of trips to places around the uk on her and do some camping.

Will upload some pictures tonight.

Todi.
Piaggio Zip 80cc 4T
Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:05 pm quote
Well thought I would add some pictures tonight of what this project started of as and some photos of how it is now.

How it first was, this was the day after I picked it up went on a little adventure as it had been over 10 years since I last had a scooter I decided to go around some of the local trails myself and friend use to ride.

[/img]

this is largely how it stayed for 12 months as I had just started a new job and used this as my commuter. Eventually the engine was passed its best and I decided to by another car the miles I was doing was ridiculous to be doing on a 50cc scooter so going to a car was a better option.
This left the scooter at a bit of a loose end so rather than selling it on for parts I decided it would be fun to have a bit of fun with it and if I'm honest I had become quite fond of it.

So I spent some time researching parts and over the course of a few months collected all the parts I wanted to complete a rebuild.

Once I had accumulated all the parts I pulled the engine out and set about giving the engine some much needed TLC.

This is how the engine turned out after fitting up all the parts

I then had the wheels powder coated and fresh Pirelli rubber added, along with new brakes and fitted everything back together.

I then spent the next few weekends setting up the carb and transmission, unfortunately winter was setting in by this point so I decided to put the bike into storage until the following summer. The plan to get the bike back out for summer never came due to buying a house and doing lots of renovation work the scooter wasn't a priority, this was over a year ago now and with things starting to go back to normal the scooter is going to now get some much needed attention.

Hope you like

Todi
Hooked
2012 Vespa S50 (Malossi 80)
Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:48 pm quote
Thanks Todi . I'm very interested in finding out more about how your scooter runs. The potential of mine has reached a ceiling and I want to add an exhaust but no idea where to get one. My thread is My 2012 S50
Piaggio Zip 80cc 4T
Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:09 am quote
So the rebuild has started, actually it started a few weeks back an hour or two here and there when it can be fitted in........

now the Zip, curently the engine is out and all the pannels are stipped from the frame.

Taken more of the little gubbins off of the engine this will soon be stripped fully ready for more .....intresting changes - keep posted for these

I'm keeping a few suprises in store for what I have planned, but the front end is being changed to a SP sinlge sided jobbie which I have managed to source for 15!!! (yea it neads sandblasing and the shock is knackered but thats going in the bin so doesnt' matter once its stripped and cleaned up it will be usefull for what it will be used for) there will be a change in wheels and bodywork also not decided on a colour yet.

Tbh I'm kind of glad the "dry storage" wasn't that dry and made a bit of a mess of the work I put into it as its give me somthing to escape away from life for a few hours a week
Hooked
piaggio fly50 4t 2v , honda ruckus x 2
Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:55 am quote
I'm interested to see what you can get out of it. I have a fly with many of the same mods.

instead of putting money into the clutch like you did I put it into the final reduction. I did put a blue polini contra and 1500rpm engagement srings in the stock clutch with an oem belt

but like you I got the malossi bbk, ported and polished head, cheaper naraku cam, and polini variator with dr pulley sliders (forgot what weight) I went cheep though and put a 19mm kehein replica carb with auto enricher and accelerator pump. uses 35idle and 85 main. I can hit a gps confirmed 61 mph

and I went with a cheap technigas exhaust.
did you block off your SAS?
Piaggio Zip 80cc 4T
Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:17 am quote
jeff84 wrote:
I'm interested to see what you can get out of it. I have a fly with many of the same mods.

instead of putting money into the clutch like you did I put it into the final reduction. I did put a blue polini contra and 1500rpm engagement srings in the stock clutch with an oem belt

but like you I got the malossi bbk, ported and polished head, cheaper naraku cam, and polini variator with dr pulley sliders (forgot what weight) I went cheep though and put a 19mm kehein replica carb with auto enricher and accelerator pump. uses 35idle and 85 main. I can hit a gps confirmed 61 mph

After building it I had limited tme due to buying a new house and doing a lot of renovations, I was still in the stages of setting the transmission up so haven't had the ammount of time i wanted to propperly get it setup how I wanted I'm curenttly rebuilding the whole bike as I want to make it even better especially the handling and braking - here in the UK small capacity 4 stroke tuning is next to none on scooters.

I haven't blocked off my SAS currently.
Piaggio Zip 80cc 4T
Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:29 am quote
Well done a bit more on the Zip over the last 6 months, not much to show for it but mainly striping the engine and frame and cleaning and sorting the parts ready for the rebuild also trial fitting the SP front end after finally getting the old teloscopic forks off - handle bars had seized in place.

[URL][/URL]

Next up is continuing the last bits of disassembly to the engine then rebuild...... hopefully at a quicker pace .....
Piaggio Zip 80cc 4T
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:29 pm quote
Still going on this i've not been on forums for a long while as was a lot of work to keep them all upto date I now use Instagram @that4tzip but do occasionally update on the forums - I forgot I'd posted this on Modern Vespa 4 years ago oops!!

Zip is looking good

and!!

My Turbo fuel injected Kiesler sprinter is comingtogether well too!!

sprinter.PNG

zippy.PNG

LX50
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:19 am quote
jeff84 wrote:

I have the same, basically - Malossi BBK, Malossi cam, Turbo Kit pipe as OP has, Malossi double sponge air filter. I'm having trouble dialing in the brand new Keihin carb. I tried an 85 main, and thought maybe it was too rich. How many turns out do you have your adjustment screw set to? I'm bogging from a start, otherwise runs fine. No idea whether I'm too rich or too lean, but the spark plug shows a very light grayish tan almost white no matter where I set the screw or what main jet I use it seems.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1471s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0317s) ][ Debug on ]