OP
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250

Hooked
MP3 250
UTC quote
I've had numerous false starts on taking my road test. Something has happened to cause me to not be able to take it: scooter issues, it snowed one day that I had it scheduled. So, I've been on a permit for..... a while. It's finally warm enough again to get back on it, so I scheduled my test, went in yesterday to take it, and was denied because of improper eyewear.

I had Chap'el goggles (two different pairs), and because they didn't have Z87.1 stamped on them to guarantee them being shatterproof they sent me packing. This was the first I had heard of this rule. It's nowhere in the manual, on the web site, or anywhere else. So I rescheduled my test for today and started trying to figure out what I need to get to be compliant. Searching for that code gave me ZERO motorcycle specific gear, but there were links for safety glasses from places like Staples. I ended up digging out a pair of Home Depot glasses (you know, the kind you'd wear when weed whacking?), they had the code on them, and took them in today. I kind of expected an argument since it's completely ridiculous that a pair of riding goggles will not work but something you get at Home Depot will, but because they had those numbers on them they didn't even bat an eye.

So okay, yesterday was an enormous waste of a day, but I'm all good today, right? Right? Finally get to the front of the line and the guy asks if I have reverse. Walks away to confer with some people, comes back, and tells me I can't take the test on "that thing." It's a trike and there's a specific road test for trikes, but because I don't have reverse I won't be able to parallel park and therefore will not pass the test. And they won't let trikes on the motorcycle course. At one point he told me that I wouldn't be able to the cone weave and my explaining that it leans and I've DONE the course (I actually did 10' spacing instead of 12') did not matter.

So now I'm 0/2 and the only solution (according to this guy) is to rent a 2 wheeled scooter to take the test on. This process has blown my mind because of how ridiculous these rules are. I don't know what any of it has to do with daily riding, and I'm extremely frustrated. Has anyone here taken the road test in NJ on their MP3? Have you had any of these issues come up? Did you have to rent a scooter?

Also... In the motorcycle handbook it clearly states that, for the road test, either someone needs to ride your bike in, or you have to truck it in. That's never made sense to me since I have a permit and can ride anywhere....except to the dmv? I don't get it. But okay, I'll bring it in my box truck, up the lift gate which is not an easy task, but if that's what they want... I pull in this morning and am immediately met with obstinance. "You can't park here! What are you doing!?" I explain that my bike's in the back and as the conversation progresses the guy tells me that I don't need to truck it in. "You've got a permit, don't you?" I tell him that I do but that the manual states I need to truck it in. "No you don't."
"Okay, well, that's what the manual says."
"No it doesn't."
"Yes, it does." (and I tell him it says either a friend or trailer)
"Well, you must have an old copy."
"I got it off the web site. Today."
"Well, you can't park that truck here."

So through all of this, I'm the one that still doesn't have a license, and I'm the one who has to make sense of the contradictions and rules that do not make sense. How am I ever supposed to get through this process with the system the way it is? Has anyone else had this many problems, especially in NJ? By the way, it was the Princeton Bakers Basin location. I'm thinking about going somewhere else, but Eatontown is not at all close.

What am I supposed to do? What if the next person I talk to has a different interpretation? What if they have a problem with my ridiculous weed whack glasses? So frustrating.
OP
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250

Hooked
MP3 250
UTC quote
Oh, and as he was filling out the "Denial" paperwork, the "instructor" asked me how to spell "trike." And still misspelled it.
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
Um... bypass the bureaucracy and take the MSF course. Can you take it in NJ and get a license at the end? No road test needed, just the MSF certificate and you're official (at least here in MA and a lot of other states). Plus, 10% rider safety insurance discount!
OP
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250

Hooked
MP3 250
UTC quote
Can't take the course on your own bike. And I really have no desire to learn how to ride a real motorcycle. But yeah, that is how it works in NJ. You take the written test, get your learner's permit, then can take the safety course and that takes the place of the road test.
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
I know you don't want to learn to ride a motorcycle, but I can guarantee that there's, um, 0% bullshit in the course, as opposed to the NJ DMV.......and gobs of stuff (other than shifting) that will be useful every time you get on your scooter.

it's been 16 years since my course, and I still get on my scooter and think "FINE".

Fuel - put the fuel tap on
Ignition - turn the ignition key to on
Neutral - make sure it's in neutral
Engine - make sure the engine kill switch is on "run"

and then I start it.

Let us know how many times it takes to get the numb nuts at the testing facility to know "their" rules... it has been quite entertaining (for us at least) so far (though it's nothing but frustrating for you, I imagine).
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
I would have pointed to the fact the VIN plate says "Motorcycle" per FEDERAL Standards not a "Trike". Then I would have asked for a supervisor and raised hell till they figure out the law. Also would ask them to point to one face shield that has those numbers on it, neither one of mine do on my $700 NEXX Carbon Helmet.

Get out of that nanny state and you would be much happier .
@ramblerdan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400

Ossessionato
@ramblerdan avatar
2009 MP3 400
UTC quote
Of all the ridiculous points, the parallel-parking thing has to be the most absurd. Why do you need a reverse gear? You can parallel park just fine with leg power. Not that you should be categorized as a trike anyway. Dumbasses.
OP
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250

Hooked
MP3 250
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
I would have pointed to the fact the VIN plate says "Motorcycle" per FEDERAL Standards not a "Trike". Then I would have asked for a supervisor and raised hell till they figure out the law. Also would ask them to point to one face shield that has those numbers on it, neither one of mine do on my $700 NEXX Carbon Helmet.
The supervisor, conveniently, wasn't in. Yesterday after I found out about the shatterproof BS I called the shop where I bought the goggles and was informed that NO visors are shatterproof. When I asked what people do for the test she didn't really have an answer for me.
UTC

Hooked
2010 mp3 500

Hooked
2010 mp3 500
UTC quote
Do you plan on moving any time soon I would be really frustrated Now you know why they make so many jokes about New Jersey
OP
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250

Hooked
MP3 250
UTC quote
ramblerdan wrote:
Of all the ridiculous points, the parallel-parking thing has to be the most absurd. Why do you need a reverse gear? You can parallel park just fine with leg power. Not that you should be categorized as a trike anyway. Dumbasses.
I don't know. I was completely flabbergasted by the whole process. There was no reasoning with the guy and no logic or common sense involved whatsoever.
OP
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250

Hooked
MP3 250
UTC quote
Bill Steele wrote:
Do you plan on moving any time soon I would be really frustrated Now you know why they make so many jokes about New Jersey
My girlfriend lives in PA...
@rwayne36 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2008 MP3 250

Enthusiast
@rwayne36 avatar
2008 MP3 250
UTC quote
Don't know about NJ but here in AZ the MSF location that I took my course at also had Scooters to use for the course. That is what I took the riding part of the course on since I was not going to be riding an actual motorcycle anytime soon, I just put in the comment section when I signed up for the class that I wanted to use a scooter
OP
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250

Hooked
MP3 250
UTC quote
Finally have the right gear...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0837s ][ Queries: 17 (0.0519s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]