@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Lozza wrote:
Oh sorry my mistake i was perusing the interweb looking for some vespa chat.
but i seemed to have stumbled onto this classic car and aviation forum.
Can someone point me in the direction of a suitable forum where i may converse with fellow scooter owners?
That Vespa chat of which thy speak? Sometimes in short supply - we have to make do with what we can get these days...

Oh, alright then.... some Italian Vespas in their natural habitat last week...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Ducati Scrambler 800 Nightshift

Ossessionato
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC quote
Re: Planes trains and automobiles
Lozza wrote:
Can someone point me in the direction of a suitable forum where i may converse with fellow scooter owners?
What's a Vespa?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I'm back in the UK for a bit. Kristin arrives next week, and then we're off to the VCdM Greek Islands Rally for two weeks, with a memorial service for Al at the start.

First thing I try to do is to get the Hornet back on the road by installing the battery which has sat patiently on an Optimate for six months. However, it absolutely needs topping off with de-ionised water (it's an ancient battery). So off to Sainburys to get some provisions and some aforesaid distilled water. The only stuff they have is scented 'ironing water'! Nothing in their petrol station either - "There's no call for it these days".

This old battery is the one that was in it back in 2010 when I took over guardianship of the Hornet from Bill Dog for my first Bella Italia rally - and all that led too.

I'll bite the bullet and buy a new sealed battery tomorrow.
@rusty_rope avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@rusty_rope avatar
Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
I'm back in the UK for a bit. Kristin arrives next week, and then we're off to the VCdM Greek Islands Rally for two weeks, with a memorial service for Al at the start.

First thing I try to do is to get the Hornet back on the road by installing the battery which has sat patiently on an Optimate for six months. However, it absolutely needs topping off with de-ionised water (it's an ancient battery). So off to Sainburys to get some provisions and some aforesaid distilled water. The only stuff they have is scented 'ironing water'! Nothing in their petrol station either - "There's no call for it these days".

This old battery is the one that was in it back in 2010 when I took over guardianship of the Hornet from Bill Dog for my first Bella Italia rally - and all that led too.

JIM!!!

Don't buy a new batt, I have one you're welcome to have. It's a sealed one off my GTS, only 2 years old but I replaced it with a motobatt because I like the extra terminals.

Free of charge to you for the help on this forum, I certainly appreciate it.

Drop me a pm if you're interested.

**If not taken by Jim, It's there for anyone else to have**
@huskyteer avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda NC700D Integra

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@huskyteer avatar
Honda NC700D Integra
UTC quote
Re: Planes trains and automobiles
Lozza wrote:
You forgot tanks.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Rusty rope wrote:
jimc wrote:

JIM!!!

Don't buy a new batt, I have one you're welcome to have. It's a sealed one off my GTS, only 2 years old but I replaced it with a motobatt because I like the extra terminals.

Free of charge to you for the help on this forum, I certainly appreciate it.

Drop me a pm if you're interested.

**If not taken by Jim, It's there for anyone else to have**
PM incoming.
UTC

Ossessionato
X10 350

Ossessionato
X10 350
UTC quote
Despite an article on last night's London BBC News about how the police are finally taking some notice of scooter theft - now that they have worked out that stolen scoots are being used to commit other crimes on the (non-biking) public...

...I've just been contacted by my insurer (RAC) who are telling me that despite 12 yrs no claims bonus (living at the same place), my location is now so dodgy that they won't offer me a renewal quote unless I magic a garage out of thin air to park my bike in.

I then went to the insurance comparison engines and am finding that the cheapest quote I can get is either:

- £210...which sounds OK...until you realise that it's with a £2k excess!!
- £320 with a £750 excess
- £340 with a £500 excess

Last year I paid £140 with a £500 excess, for the same bike at the same address and I've had no claims during the year.
@attention avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 GTS300 Supersport (The Yella 'Un aka The Sting)

Molto Verboso
@attention avatar
2017 GTS300 Supersport (The Yella 'Un aka The Sting)
UTC quote
Benelli Boy wrote:
Despite an article on last night's London BBC News about how the police are finally taking some notice of scooter theft - now that they have worked out that stolen scoots are being used to commit other crimes on the (non-biking) public...

...I've just been contacted by my insurer (RAC) who are telling me that despite 12 yrs no claims bonus (living at the same place), my location is now so dodgy that they won't offer me a renewal quote unless I magic a garage out of thin air to park my bike in.

I then went to the insurance comparison engines and am finding that the cheapest quote I can get is either:

- £210...which sounds OK...until you realise that it's with a £2k excess!!
- £320 with a £750 excess
- £340 with a £500 excess

Last year I paid £140 with a £500 excess, for the same bike at the same address and I've had no claims during the year.
That sucks. I can't believe how high the excess is nor the premium.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Bloody hell Simon! That's as expensive as a car to insure!

I'd rather pay an extra £200 in tax towards more effective policing than pay £200 more for insurance. If we all did that the problem might disappear and we'd have bobbies on the beat again.

But that veers towards politics so I'll refrain from going further.
UTC

Ossessionato
X10 350

Ossessionato
X10 350
UTC quote
And now I've just used another comparison website and got a quote for £150 with a £350 excess.

WTF is it about insurance? How can there be so much variation. I don't want consumer choice...I just want to not have to spend ages shopping around for the one person who's not trying to bend me over and stick sharp things into me.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Don't forget most comparison websites only compare those companies who pay them.
UTC

Ossessionato
X10 350

Ossessionato
X10 350
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Bloody hell Simon! That's as expensive as a car to insure!
Absolutely! In fact, I think our car costs about that much to insure on the same - fully comp - basis, INCLUDING breakdown cover. And the car's worth about 3 times as much as the scooter, I guess.

In any case, confused.com gave me a much better quote than gocompare, so I'm now on the road for another year at a reasonable price.

Scooting isn't cheap, though. Service and MOT, new tyres every now and again, tax and insurance, the odd bit of biking gear and a new helmet every few years, Westminster annual parking pass....it probably costs me about as much as using the Tube to get to work (and at the moment I'm only using the scoot to commute with).

The roads are only getting more and more congested as they put in more traffic lights and take away more road space for one reason and another. And thefts are going through the roof so We Can't Have Nice Things.

I can see the day when owning a scoot just becomes more trouble than it's worth...
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
When we picked up the Vespas at About Town Motorcycle & Scooter Hire Mike told us he's been renting vehicles for 19 years. He had more thefts in the year before he moved to Horsham than in the entire 18 years preceeding it.

We return the Vespas tomorrow but will be in London all day on Sunday if anyone is interested in meeting up for a beverage of choice, meal or whatever. I know its short notice but we didn't really know what our schedule would be but decided it was too much of a logistics hassle to try and get the scoots back before checking in for our flight back to the US on Monday.
@rusty_rope avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@rusty_rope avatar
Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Whilst respecting the forums rules on politics, I am currently in talks with a new London group looking to fight for our corner with regards to thefts from challenging the cops and manufacturers to protesting, insurance hikes and serious lack of funding compared to cyclists (they've got a £770m budget, we get £0 - yet in 2011, 122 motorcyclists were killed compared to 35 pedal cyclists)*.

They discriminate against nobody, so our scooters are welcome but unfortunately not many are currently involved...But I'm going to do my best to change that!

And compared to MAG, they seem to actually be listening to people and getting involved with the media.

*Please note: I'm in no way attacking the cyclists, I completely respect the fact that cyclists are vulnerable road users too.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Keep us up to date on that please.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Lines
I've just had the most lovely ride on the Kymco in the sun.

I just wanted to share.

Spoilt for choice on the motor sport front today -

World Superbikes from Donnington Park

F1 from Monaco.

Indy 500 from Indianapolis.

Birreh.
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC quote
I started the day with a 30 mile cycle along the canals in the sun.
Now about to do lunch and decide what to watch.
@ashbrook avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550

Ossessionato
@ashbrook avatar
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
UTC quote
Greenwich
Spent a lovely afternoon with Cheryl and Steve who have been touring the UK just recently. Good ale and great company. What more can a man ask for? Thanks guys. Have a safe journey home.
@gtsrad avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS300

Addicted
@gtsrad avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
Posted a brief update to the Skok's out thread. Can we have a roll call on who's still coming please? 🛵
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
Re: Lines
Bill Dog wrote:

I just wanted to share.

F1 from Monaco.

Birreh.
The F1 was a doozie!
Sebastien stole that one from Kimi.
Maybe the next race in Canada will even things out.
Good one otherwise.
Not much on Indy. They just go round and round on an oval. Not a hell of a lot of skill there, eh what?

Oh boy, I'll get s**t for that one. Laughing emoticon
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC quote
EN82pg wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:

I just wanted to share.

F1 from Monaco.

Birreh.
The F1 was a doozie!
Sebastien stole that one from Kimi.
Maybe the next race in Canada will even things out.
Good one otherwise.
Not much on Indy. They just go round and round on an oval. Not a hell of a lot of skill there, eh what?

Oh boy, I'll get s**t for that one. Laughing emoticon
There was far more action at Indy than Monaco today.
UTC

Ossessionato
X10 350

Ossessionato
X10 350
UTC quote
There was far less action in Carcassonne today, but we nearly had some motorsport when I pulled out of a car park and almost forgot to go on the wrong side of the road!
No harm done, though, and cassoulet and corbieres all round to recover from the shock.
Big game of rugby league tomorrow in Perpignan- come on the mighty Hull FC!
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
******** snipped ***********

There was far more action at Indy than Monaco today.
Unfortunately, my satellite provider had a VoD for the Indy. With what I pay monthly for the service, I was not going to shell out extra to watch Indy when the F1 series are included.
Nice to see Sato win. I'll bet there was a lot of celebrating in Japan.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Miles
Yes if you honestly believe that pitching a car into a corner at 220 mph takes no skill at all I'm with you.

Sadly having seen it for real I'm not.

Both the Indy 500 and the Daytona 500 are two of the most exciting races that I've ever seen which puts F1 in the shade where it belongs.

NASCAR and Indycar have one thing going for them - they actually overtake.

Bill x
@terryvanman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda SH 300

Molto Verboso
@terryvanman avatar
Honda SH 300
UTC quote
I bought a garage..or how to lose weight
So we decided to move to Malta last year.. we took the van, my wife car, the scooter and the Rover. we soon realized that we needed a bigger garage, so the search was on.

After some time we found this run down garage that was being used as a storage locker..
[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_1124.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]

Looking inside I could see the potential. drainage/sewerage was in, water was already supplied and electric was available.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]

So with the finance in place we went for it..the plan was to repaint the walls and ceiling and paint the floor....fit a few extra lights and power sockets and the jobs done. the damp on the back walls was sealed and the work started by building a temporary work bench out of pallets and an old door.
[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_1137.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]

Then someone said..."why dont you bury the water and electrics into the walls and re plaster them..OK I say lets do it.
[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_0567_1.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]

[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_0571.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]

Then some bright sod [probably me] decided that we need a platform to store crap and we can build a toilet underneath.

[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_1198_1.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]

Now all we have to do is re-decorate right? wrong...I dont like the stack pipes on the wall can we hide them,,,said my wife....sure I say I'll box them in you decorate them.
[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_1192.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]

were going to need lights and a workbench

[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_1205.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]

Why dont we build a kitchen area and turn the garage into a Man Cave......My plan all along. I think we should tile the floor first.

Sand for the tiling...precision tipping.
[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_1218.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]
[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_1222.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]

Tiles down, Kitchen started, toilet sorted and hot water heater fitted.

[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_1242.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]
[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_1237.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]
[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_1245.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]

getting there

[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_1247.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]

[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_1249.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]

a good wash and brush up
[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_1253_1.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]

and just the garage door to fit next month, get the fridge for the beer, a few posters, pool table, dart board and a microwave for TV dinners while watching MOTO GP.

[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_0600.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]

[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_0603.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]
[url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/terryvanman/media/IMG_0607.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/url]

PS.
It took me 8 weeks of hard graft. only the electric water and tiles were done by a friend with me as his labourer the rest was done by me, and the wife.

PPS.
I lost 6 Kilos
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Bosh
I lost interest.

Bill x
@terryvanman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda SH 300

Molto Verboso
@terryvanman avatar
Honda SH 300
UTC quote
Spain
Off to the south of Spain on Friday for 2 weeks anyone going to be there for a meetup for a beer or two?
UTC

Addicted
GTS250

Addicted
GTS250
UTC quote
Went up to the Bike Shed Show - which was actually a good event good vib.

Very please to finall see these two scooter/cars in the flesh so to speek!
And Indians attempt at repo'ing Burt's original fastest Indian
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Nice work Terry - and well done losing the lard.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Bullet
Loving the Indian.

Proper bike.

Great movie.

Bill x
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
Re: Miles
Bill Dog wrote:
Yes if you honestly believe that pitching a car into a corner at 220 mph takes no skill at all I'm with you.

Sadly having seen it for real I'm not.

Both the Indy 500 and the Daytona 500 are two of the most exciting races that I've ever seen which puts F1 in the shade where it belongs.

NASCAR and Indycar have one thing going for them - they actually overtake.

Bill x
Dunno Bill.
I've been to Indy twice in my life, once back in the 50"s when it was a real race and once again in 2006 when Hornish won. I thought Indy was mediocre then and still do now. A great place to get a sunburn though. Obviously, just my opinion

Been to Daytona back in my high school days. Went there on Spring Break with a couple of mates. The only thing I remember about it was the "great white telephone" which I was making calls on the whole time. Ten days of brain damage.

Heading to Montréal next month for the Grand Prix. Should be a good one.
Grandstand seat on the straight. When the wife finds out what it really cost,
I may be single again. Laughing emoticon
OP
@pepy27 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 White Racing Sixties, 1959 Vespa 150 VBA, 1959 Lambretta Series 2 LI125, 1999 PX200E

Ossessionato
@pepy27 avatar
2021 White Racing Sixties, 1959 Vespa 150 VBA, 1959 Lambretta Series 2 LI125, 1999 PX200E
UTC quote
I'm still breathing.......

Anyone doing the Skök meet this Sunday?
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Away
I wish I could make it but I'm in LA.

Sorry Skoks.

Bill x

Edit - I was at Indy in 2004 when Buddy Rice won it - never to be seen again.

The race ended on lap 187 when an electrical storm dumped it's load all over the circuit and my sister and I walked the 3 miles home in a deluge.

It was very exciting.
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
UTC quote
Terry
Quote:
So we decided to move to Malta last year.. we took the van, my wife car, the scooter and the Rover. we soon realized that we needed a bigger garage, so the search was on.
So how much for B&B&S (bed, breakfast, and scooter)? It looks very comfortable.

I am in the throws of Vespa garage construction myself at the moment.
@somerset avatar
UTC

Addicted
2019 Honda - The Monkey

Addicted
@somerset avatar
2019 Honda - The Monkey
UTC quote
Your conversion looks amazing Terry.

Many thanks for sharing.

somerset
@terryvanman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda SH 300

Molto Verboso
@terryvanman avatar
Honda SH 300
UTC quote
somerset wrote:
Your conversion looks amazing Terry.

Many thanks for sharing.

somerset
your welcome, just a few bits to do and the vehicles will go in
@terryvanman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda SH 300

Molto Verboso
@terryvanman avatar
Honda SH 300
UTC quote
Re: Terry
lostboater wrote:
Quote:

Hi.

We will be in Florida [Sarasota] for all of February. so maybe we can compare garages. Clown emoticon
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
UTC quote
Re: Terry
terryvanman wrote:
lostboater wrote:
Quote:

Hi.

We will be in Florida [Sarasota] for all of February. so maybe we can compare garages. Clown emoticon
Wonderful. Hopefully mine will be done by then. And, we don't have to go to the Castle again.
@ashbrook avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550

Ossessionato
@ashbrook avatar
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
UTC quote
Crash!
Must have been some wallop!

@gass avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250

Addicted
@gass avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
terry van garage
Fantastic garaging Terry. I've got to do an extesion on the back of my place in Kensal Green. It'll be a doddle for the likes of you. Cheers Gass silver machine gts 250
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 1.0931s ][ Queries: 44 (0.9883s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]