UTC

Hooked
'15 Vespa GTS 250 Volcano Black

Hooked
@emir avatar
UTC quote
Hi folks,
As i introduced myself in my other topic, i'm about to buy a black GTS250 nowadays.

I'm searching the net abput accesories i need to purchase.

First of all, I want to know that do i have to buy and use a floor mat ? Does it just for look or is it usefull ?

And windscreen ? I think there is small flyscreens and large windscreens and the medium ones. I will mostly ride my bike in city, rarely on highway to other cities. Which screen i need to buy ? The small tinted ones look sporty and cool especially on a black scooter but does it usefull or just look fancy ?

The big windscreens look not so good but with a topcase it will look the scooter look bigger. It will be usefull on highway but the wind will affect the bike to much i think. I need your advices.

and topcase. I think i will need one and i will only buy vespa original topcases. Givi and etc. dont look good on vespa i think. which size of topcase i must prefer. I plan to put passenger helmet and my riding jacket in it. How many liters must be topcases capaticy? By the way i will buy matcihng color of seat backrest on topcase, it look so good.

İn short time i am not planning to swap mirrors, levers and grips. mirrors look so nice and compatible with design. sporty look mirrors and levels will hurt retro look. but maybe a while later i will swap Rizoma bar end mirrors, maybe.

and crachbars. do i need them ? They are very expensive in my country. if i drop the bike they will be usefull but does it worth it ? what is your opinion does it look good on scooter ?

and luggage rack on the front ? i think it looks great. chrome ones are so cool. i defintely wanna buy one of them. does it look good with a topcase or without o topcase what do you think ?

these are the options i consider. what else do you suggest to me ?
in my country (Turkey) vespa is not so common and there is not much accessorie options. so your opinions are very important for me.

Thanks all,
Regards...
Emir
[/u]
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Do not bother to buy a floor-mat. Any small stone that gets trapped underneath will scratch the paint as the mat moves slightly. Without the floor-mat any such stone will not be trapped, and will bounce out again PDQ - far less chance of a scratch. Any moisture will lie under the mat for ever and a day, increasing the chance of corrosion if there are any scratches.

I suspect there are many owners here who have unloved floor-mats collecting dust in a corner of their garage.
@gasmk1 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa lxv 125 vie dell moda Chianti

Addicted
@gasmk1 avatar
Vespa lxv 125 vie dell moda Chianti
UTC quote
floor mat
a lot of people seem not to loke the floormat as dirt and gravel gets underneath and scrathes the paint which is what it is supposed to stop.

topcase
you may be ltd to the one for your model unless you can adapt one for another model, the underseat storage will not fot all full face helmets, you will need advice one the ones that fit, think all open face hemets fit ok. you may need bar end weights.

crash bars
although they look good they will offer protection to the the paint if you have a slow fall or it gets knocked over.

front carriers
look good and are good.

windshields
i like the small ones they dont offer much protection.
dont like the large ones so cant advise but someone will

mark
@mickfitz76 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Yamaha XMAX 300, Sprint 150, PX 177 Polini.

Addicted
@mickfitz76 avatar
Yamaha XMAX 300, Sprint 150, PX 177 Polini.
UTC quote
From personal experience I think the floor mat causes more damage than it prevents.
If sand or dirt gets under it, it's very abrasive and rubs the paint off the deck.
Took mine off and never put it back after repainting it.

Edit: beaten by seconds.
OP
@emir avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@emir avatar
UTC quote
thanks for replies.
hımmmm i have never thought that floor mats will damage the panel, but it is logical, dust and stones will scrtach the paint easily. if there is no problem riding with a floor mat than i will no need one floor mat.

if you give me information about other accesories and parts i will be gratefull.
OP
@emir avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@emir avatar
UTC quote
and also i wonder about gel seats. are they orignal ? what is the diffrences ? is it more comfu on long trips ?
do i plan to swap original seat to a gel one.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I find the flyscreen is adequate. It makes riding at speed less wearing and adds a few mph to top speed. It still makes a small difference at city speeds (50kph or so).

The Vespa topcase is 42 litres - it's taller than one thinks, so a surprising amount can be stowed in there.

Crash-bars? They can save expensive repairs if the bike is dropped or tipped over. They can be treated as insurance. However they can be a PITA for oil top-ups and routine maintenance, and the underbody fixings can pierce the paint on the seam and give an opportunity for rust to set in.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
I'm a Sprint owner, so don't know about GTS. Still a comment about wind shields:

I don't personally like to look trough a wind shield, not even a small one. With motor bikes I'm a "naked/ retro" style fan, alhought good shields do protect you from cold. With Vespa, I'm a sunny days only - driver, so this was an easy choise for me. Another thing is, that a wind shield can act like a sail - again, I don't have experience on Vespa OEM products, but the large ones do look a bit large from aerodynamics point of view.
@ashbrook avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550

Ossessionato
@ashbrook avatar
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
I'm a Sprint owner, so don't know about GTS. Still a comment about wind shields:

I don't personally like to look trough a wind shield, not even a small one. With motor bikes I'm a "naked/ retro" style fan, alhought good shields do protect you from cold. With Vespa, I'm a sunny days only - driver, so this was an easy choise for me. Another thing is, that a wind shield can act like a sail - again, I don't have experience on Vespa OEM products, but the large ones do look a bit large from aerodynamics point of view.
Better the wind shield than your upper body and head in terms of aerodynamics.......My top speed is increased by about 5mph with my screen on.
I like to be able to look over mine and also be able to tuck behind it when riding fast
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
Hi, I'm 6'1" and like the windshield on my GT200. I also really like the toolbox, it works really well for locking the helmet in when it is parked.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
When it comes to accessories you will find a lot of info and controversy on this blog. They seem to be very personal choices. So here goes for mine

Do not use floor mat and from reading about them I don't think I ever would.

Have the Vespa top box and find it very helpful. From reading on this forum about them it does seem the Givi ones are better as they are larger and easier to remove but I have been very happy with the Vespa one. It easily holds my helmet and when the helmet is on my head I can put a lot of stuff in it.

I have the large windscreen and like it. In colder days keeps the wind off me and I live in an area that can have a lot of wind, and in warmer days keeps the bugs from bouncing off my face. With the top box and large screen it does give the scooter a bigger look.

I have a front rack and I think it looks good and with a bunji strap can be very helpful at carrying things.

I have front crash bars and hope to never need to use them, but they do look good.

I have replaced the rather wimpy horn with an air horn, if you want to make someone notice you it can help.

I have also replaced my front and rear lights with LED's which can make you a bit more visible and last much longer than the standard incandescent lights.

And most importantly is a good helmet and safety gear.

I also have a uclear communication device on my helmet that can be used to communicate with other riders, listen to music and even answer your cell phone, but riding and talking on a phone is not a great idea, so if I get a call I pull over, but I can still talk without having to take off my helmet.

There a lot of things you can add to your scooter and that is also part of the fun of it in my opinion. Best of luck with your new scooter, ride safely and make sure you have taken a proper safety course before you start.
OP
@emir avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@emir avatar
UTC quote
thank you for all replies.

if i make a summary that is the conclusion:

1- i must forget about floormats : this will save my budget, but i will be afraid of hurting the panel with my shoes ??? My mind is complicated, maybe after starting to ride and a few days later i must decide it.

2- Topcase is neccesary: Sure but will buy only vespa brand topcase. the others dont look retro. i learned by the forum that it is 42 lt and have enough storage space.

3- windscreen : i will have to bu buy small tinted flyscreen for intercity riding. and when in summer long trips start i will get a larger windscreen and will have comfort on highway.

5- Front rack bar is sure to be bought. it looks fantastic even i will carry nothing maybe )

6- Crash bars are neededd equipment but they are too expensive (maybe in my country) can not afford now because i will have to buy riding gear which will fit to vespa style so until buying crashbars i will be extra carefully while riding and parking

7- Replacing horn is important to be noticed in traffic i will imeediatley do it.

8- 2015 model gts is equipped with led turn signals so i dont have to swap them maybe i can change the main headlight bulb with OSRAM NİGHT BREAKER or equal stuff
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
A set of windscreens is a must. I don't worry about the after market exhaust anymore. Never got one. Never will. Crash bars are suitable if you are inclined to wipe out often or hit a lot of shopping cars or junk in your garage. Top box has always been a no-no for me. Everyone knows that any more than a few kilograms will make the scooter wobble with a top box, specially in the wind. Side stand is for quick stops like when you forget your goggles inside the house and are all ready to go. Never while refueling. More on that later.
@trevcjohnson avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa GT 2004

Enthusiast
@trevcjohnson avatar
Vespa GT 2004
UTC quote
My vespa had a tall screen, I cut it down by approx 10cm so it could be used during night and winter, without cutting it down I looked through the screen and couldn't see where I was going. It offered very good wind protection but not the most stylish thing. If practicality comes first then it was very good otherwise if you want style go for something smaller. I took it off as the weather improved and it became warmer.

I fitted Tubano Urbano neoprene mitts for the winter, without these my hands would have got very cold, highly recommended for winter riding. No need for heated grips when combined with some winter gloves.

Top case I had a Givi e300, 30litre, good enough for the helmet, but couldn't get a jacket in at the same time. Offered adequate storage when combined with the underseat storage.

It had a scorpion exhaust when I bought it, personally I wouldn't fit this if it was my choice, sounded ok, made me more noticeable in traffic, but was just an oval can and had little style about it.

I fitted a couple of reflective strips down the sides just to make me more visible at night.

Other thing to consider is safety gear, my opinion is that you need full gear even on a scooter, come off at 40mph and you'll be very happy if you are wearing gear. I wear a full face shoei helmet, boots, gloves, cordura pants and an armoured jacket at all times unless I ride into town and don't get above 20 - 30mph and then might forgo the pants and boots. If you like jeans take a look at Hood jeans, British made, look quite stylish and offer good protection being fully lined, buy them with the armour.
OP
@emir avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@emir avatar
UTC quote
yes you are totaly right, safe riding gear is my priority. wheb i was driving 4 cylinders sport bikes i always used fullface helmets and all other protectes clothing. when i am scooting i wear open helmey which is one momo design and the other is shatk raw helmet. but i always wear protected jacket gloves and kevlar protected jeans. but not wearing riding boots on scooter. in fact i must but it is not xomfortsble in city riding.

after purchasing vespa, i will buy new jacket and gloves especially wear on vespa. i want this because vespa is one original scooter and a riding jacket which can bu used on a sport bike wont be compatible while riding vespa. i want old school gloves and jacket but fully protected. i will ssk this issue to forum after getting my vespa, hope this week: )
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
UTC quote
I bought my GTS used and it came with almost every accessory available.

Floormat: Don't get it. After a year I was forced to repaint my floor. The factory rubber strips do a good job.

Top box: I have a Vespa factory box. I use it often. It will hold the largest full face helmet, which is what I use it for most but if you ride with it loaded it will cause wobble.

I have a mid sized Faco windscreen. It is the perfect compromise.

I have a sidestand and use it every day.

I have factory Vespa crash bars. They protected me on one mishap and did not on another. The front mudguard protector was useful both times.

The front rack is very useful and looks good. If I have something heavy to carry I try to use that. An elastic net with hooks helps.

Good luck.
OP
@emir avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@emir avatar
UTC quote
thank you for valuable infos.

by the way it is a few times said that sidestand is usefull accesorie.
but in my country Turkey vespas are equipped with side stand and center stand both.
in some markets sidestand is an optional accesorie??
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Yes, in the US (for ever?) and in most of the EU as of a few years ago, as the Vespa sidestands don't have a cut-off switch in series with the kill-switch.
UTC

MV Santa

MV Santa
UTC quote
Many people don't use the sidestand because they don't think it is stable. I have not had that problem.
OP
@emir avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@emir avatar
UTC quote
center stands are surely more stable but all motocycles lookbsexy on sidestands: ))

somewhere i read that on windy days if vespa has a large windshield and complete dust cover on it wind can fall the scooter. is it true
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Emir wrote:
thanks for replies.
hımmmm i have never thought that floor mats will damage the panel, but it is logical, dust and stones will scrtach the paint easily. if there is no problem riding with a floor mat than i will no need one floor mat.
they don't. And they are very useful if you ride in bad weather. They also absorb some of the vibration, and provide a much more stable surface in wet conditions and protect the floor from mud and grime on your boots. I've got them on all my Vespas.
OP
@emir avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@emir avatar
UTC quote
Hello again

Today i sold my yamaha x-max to a reasonable price and i will get the money on wednesday. immediatley i will go to dealaer and make payment for brand new black GTS 250
Everyting runs fine thank God.
Hope registration procedure will be finished by friday and at the weekend i will start riding hopefully.
@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125

Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125
UTC quote
Congrats on the new purchase. Lots of good, to the point - info in this discussion.

Often, here in the US the dealer will give you an initial discount on gear and accessories. If it's the same where your are I would take advantage of that for your protective gear and any big ticket items that you know you want.

When I purchased my Vespa I was eager to buy every accessory imaginable. Looking back now, there were many items I wanted then that over time I determined I did not really want/need after I spent time riding.

My advise would be to buy the essentials now and add on as it fits your riding style. Enjoy your new ride!
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS Super ABS

Addicted
Vespa GTS Super ABS
UTC quote
Re Windscreens, I have the Faco twin screen on my 300. I really like it. So far, has been in the high position, works extremely well for me on the interstate. If it gets hot this summer, I will lower it to get better airflow.
OP
@emir avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@emir avatar
UTC quote
sure right in time i will understand which items i need and which i don't. but i am excited and want to make usefull and the most beatifiul vespa in my city.

in Ankara the capital city of Turkey vespa is not a common scooter brand because of high price. mostly chinesee scooters are common and japanese ones. european bikes are not chosen mostly so vespa will be real elegant in my conmunity. because of that i want ro ride my vespa with full options.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Vespa Riding in Ankara
Emir,

I had the good fortune of attending a conference
in Ankara years ago. Great city - great food.

Despite the majority input on the floor mat, I
like mine. You do have to dry under it after
washing your scoot - or if it rains. Having said
this, the paint is discoloring a little bit. So, their
is wisdom on this forum.

I did install both the front and back rack on my
300. They look great.

Bob C
Minnesota USA
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
vintage red matthew wrote:
Many people don't use the sidestand because they don't think it is stable. I have not had that problem.
That is more of a problem with smaller Vespas. I find that my side stands interfere a bit with putting my feet down on the ground while stopping. I do like to the look a lot that's mainly why I keep one.
⚠️ Last edited by Max6200 on UTC; edited 1 time
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
vintage red matthew wrote:
Do you have one on the vintage? I know it is not a vintage but placing a side stand on the S150 would be Vespacide.
@5plates25screws avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2011 GTS 300ie "MoodyBlu"

Enthusiast
@5plates25screws avatar
2011 GTS 300ie "MoodyBlu"
UTC quote
I love my floor mat.

And i will repeat- Still have never walked up to a vespa at a rally and checked to see if they have any scratches in their floorboard.

But to some in here, that paint on their floorboard must be laced with gold or was mixed by Christ himself.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1384s ][ Queries: 32 (0.1039s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]