@osteopath avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS 250ie, '09 MP3 500, '06 Harley Sportster '14 Ural Gear Up

Molto Verboso
@osteopath avatar
UTC quote
I've been having problems with my Tilt Lock for the past two years and it seems to function when I get it to the dealer. They can't seem to figure it out. I had sprayed some switch cleaning stuff into the switch with minimal relief of the condition. My knees aren't the best and trying to balance the bike as I step through risks dropping the bike. Is it just the switch that might need to be replaced. I asked if they could clean up the contacts and put some dielectric grease on it it would solve the problem. The mech said I need to replace it.
Now I am having starting problems. I did let it sit too long when I could not start the bike and killed the battery. I was able to use a battery tender on it and recharged the battery. Starting is still the problem. The key turned on and the kill switch in the run position and hand brakes pulled in the bike won't start. Releasing the left brake handle still holding the start button I can get it to start now and then. This is an outdoor bike so I am wondering if the elements finally messed with it. Do I need to replace the switch mechanisms including the Tilt Lock or can these be cleaned up? I'm not sure what I should tell the dealer mechanic and not get the run around.
I'm considering taking the MP3 for a long trip again and don't want to get stranded.
@cobra4x4 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 MP3 250

Hooked
@cobra4x4 avatar
2007 MP3 250
UTC quote
Sounds like the starting issue could be battery related.
How old is the battery? MP3s are very finicky when it comes to power.

As for the tilt lock there are a number of things to check.
1. Speed sensors on front wheels (clean iron filings from brakes off both)
2. Pressure switch (common problem)
3. Fluid level
4. Switch (as you noted in your post)

Others will chime in as well but that should get you started.
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC quote
check your brake lights come on when leavers are pulled.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
issue #1 tilt lock spongy. flush the hid lines and resivour. pressure fill from bottom, removing fluid from the resivour as needed. do both sides.

issue #2 starting. 2 things once you let a battery go dead they just don't come back very well. replace. Also since your is an outside scoot replace both switches at the brake levers. these do 2 functions. turn on brake lights and allows you to start the scoot. suspect they are corroded and while you can take them apart and clean them up its a real PITA to do. just easy to replace.
OP
@osteopath avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@osteopath avatar
UTC quote
Thanks folks! The battery was replaced last year for my LA ride. I'll definitely bring up the tilt lock issues with the mechanic.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0483s ][ Queries: 8 (0.0241s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]