Seat latch broken?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
2008 Black & Blue MP3 400
Sat May 30, 2015 7:19 am quote
We just took delivery yesterday and the seat won't open with the remote. We can hear the sound but nothing happens and pulling up on the seat shows it's still latched.

I searched and found clues to open from inside the boot, but couldn't figure it out - there seems to be something loose in there though.

I took a photo with a hand mirror - the red thing seems loose or broken.

Any clues/help?

EDIT - UPDATE -

I've been playing with this some more and it's clear the cable release (red end) is detached from whatever it is supposed to pull. Time to head off to the repair shop I guess. :-/ I was able to open the seat manually after some experimentation on where to push.

Hooked
2007 MP3 250
Sat May 30, 2015 8:25 am quote
No need to take it to the shop as the same thing happened to me shortly after I got my MP3. I couldn't figure out how to reattach the cable so I ended up removing the latch that is held on by two screws. Once you have the latch out you will be able to see how the cable attaches. Reattach the cable and then reinstall the latch.

To open the seat from the rear hatch just move the silver peg looking item that is in your picture located near the red/orange clip. That should release the latch so you can open the seat.

Maybe someone else with more experience has a better idea, but that worked for me.
2008 Black & Blue MP3 400
Sat May 30, 2015 9:24 am quote
Thanks - that did the trick simple and easy - just two screws to remove the latch, slip the cable back into the slot in the peg, and done!
Hooked
2007 MP3 250
Sat May 30, 2015 9:55 am quote
Glad it worked!
Hooked
MP3 250
Sat May 30, 2015 1:10 pm quote
Latch release
Same thing happened to me around a few months ago. I gave up trying to fix it and just reach in through the "doggy carrier" and open it that way. I will go out and try the easy fix. Thanks for the info
Hooked
MP3 250
Sat May 30, 2015 1:13 pm quote
Just noticed that all of us having this problem are in southern Fl. Is it something in the water?
Hooked
MP3 250
Sun May 31, 2015 9:24 am quote
Quick thank you to Spudster
Bin w/out the seat release for months as I figured a cable broke. Just did your instructions and 2 screws and 1min later I'm back in business
Hooked
2007 MP3 250
Sun May 31, 2015 9:46 am quote
Yea, no more fishing around through the truck to try and open the seat!
Lurker
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:16 am quote
Thank you for the advice. Just bought a used 400 yesterday. This seems to be the only problem with it. Drove it a 100 miles just to see what would happen when the dust was knocked off. After we reached an agreement on how she likes to be handled, I could not have been more impressed. This little lady is like a good wife, gives you every thing you need if treated right.
Enthusiast
Gilera Fuoco
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:26 am quote
Never had a problem with my seat lock, but after reading so many posts about keys being locked-in or the latch mechanism failing, I decided to do a little mod.

I removed the latch and added a short length of thin cord from an old light pull-switch to the release lever, leaving the free end hanging just out of sight behind the left-hand rear trim.

If the worst happens, I can reach up under the panel and pull the cord to release the seat.
Lurker
MP3 300
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:44 pm quote
Seat latch repaired
Thanks to others who posted the solution to the (thought to be broken) seat latch on the MP3. Itís nearly impossible to see and work out how to reattach but by removing the 2 large visible screws to release the latch, as suggested by others, the whole mechanism drops to become visible and itís easy to see how to reattach it. It wasnít broken just detached when I had to manually open it after a flat battery. Thanks for the advice. 5 minute fix.
Hooked
MP3 hpe 500 sport Advanced " Missy "
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:16 am quote
jkessel wrote:
Just noticed that all of us having this problem are in southern Fl. Is it something in the water?
No. Not to worry jkessel. The same thing happend to me with my old MP3 and I live in Germany. So it canīt be the water.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2650s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0565s) ][ Debug on ]