Gilera Fuoco in North America?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Hooked
MP3 500
Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:18 pm quote
Has anybody heard anything regarding this machine...will it see this side of the ocean?
Hooked
'07 MP3 250ie, '86 Bimota DB1R, '62 Ducati 250, '90 Ducati 851, '69 Laverda 750 GT
Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:52 pm quote
No word as of yet. If the MP3 250 does well here maybe a 400 or 500 will show up. Let's hope it's not too much heavier than the 250. The current MP3 400 (not available in US) is about 90 lbs. heavier. Maybe a new (better looking?), lighter (sportier?) model will be available.

*crossing fingers*
Hooked
custom mini-motorcycle
Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:24 am quote
Gilera is not a USA/Canada marque. There are no Gilera dealers, no Gilera parts distribution, and no Gilera brand recognition or advertising. PiaggioCo has never re-badged any Gilera for sale in the North American market.

The North American market will either get the MP3-400 or a 500 version. The MP3-400 is a physically larger than the MP3-250 but the 400 and 500 are the same engine and either will fit in this bike. If rumors are correct, PiaggioCo will do a production run with the 400 for the European market and then later a production run with the 500 engine for the North American market. If the 500 engine is used it would be the new Euro3-spec engine with double-spark and a three-horsepower gain bringing it to 42-HP. On the other hand, if North American gets the 400 then it is unlikely to ever get this bike with a 500 engine. For people in the USA, the 400/500 logic is confusing because we do not have the same licensing and insurance levels as the UK/Europe.
Enthusiast
MP3
Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:09 am quote
can I just say that I have visions of an Aprilia Mille with 2 front weels, a motorcycle rear suspension and a motor hung between the wheels.
Yes I saw this on Dudel's previous post and I was hooked.
Hooked
'07 MP3 250ie, '86 Bimota DB1R, '62 Ducati 250, '90 Ducati 851, '69 Laverda 750 GT
Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:03 pm quote
3up2down wrote:
Aprilia Mille with 2 front weels, a motorcycle rear suspension and a motor hung between the wheels
Mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Addicted
2019 BV 350
Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:00 pm quote
This is what simonzeb of the Italian forum has to say about this:

For the fact "PiaggioCo has never re-badged any Gilera for sale in the North American market." Is true, but the group have change radically: propriatory ,administration and politically atteggiament on market in the last 3 years. In past, Piaggio, 5 years late, are only a little group and have a follower business plan, and follow the Japanese.

Now the Piaggio are the biggest motocycle group in Europe and I think the second in the world after Honda, and now the commercial and tecnical approach to the market is real aggressive and innovative. Totally new tecnics, and concepts: the 3 wheels tilting system in Piaggio, drive by wire on Aprilia, etc.

In italy there is the traditional phrase, "There's always a first time". Two years ago a boy can say, "No motorcycle factory has ever made a 3 wheel tilting vehicle in real big number production" and at that time the boy was totally right. Now we know this affirmation is no more correct. You understand...?
Ciao

http://www.piaggiomp3isti.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=686&whichpage=2
Hooked
MP3 500
Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:13 pm quote
My opinion is that the core technology translates to performance very well. I would be surprised NOT to see many other manufacturers emulate this behavior. The gating factor is how many patents Piaggio has applied for and whether there are alternative workarounds to what Piaggio did.

At any rate, if sales are moving up and to the right, I believe we will see more and more choices for the market.

The amount of interest from folks who see the MP3 exceeds any curiousity from any other early adopter bike I have owned.
Hooked
Aprilia Scarabeo
Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:28 am quote
It's a shame, because I could go for a DNA or Nexus.

Seth
Addicted
Stella and a Fuoco
Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:51 pm quote
i still say that piaggio forgets the MP3 500 for the USA and rebadge the Fuoco as the MP3 500....the Fuoco design just screams America

the Fuoco, side by side with the MP3 500, would like sell 2 to 1 over the MP3 at the larger size.

g
Enthusiast
MP3
Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:23 pm quote
thegelding
I mostly agree with your thesis. I do think there would be some people who would prefer an mp3 500 due to the built in storage aspect (Mostly commuters with lots of junk to transport) but for the vast majority of USA people are leisure riders who have not the need for storage the gilera is the ticket. so mabye 1.5 to 1
Hooked
2005 BV200, 1976 Sprint 150 Veloce
Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:13 pm quote
Dudel wrote:
Gilera is not a USA/Canada marque. There are no Gilera dealers, no Gilera parts distribution, and no Gilera brand recognition or advertising. PiaggioCo has never re-badged any Gilera for sale in the North American market.

The North American market will either get the MP3-400 or a 500 version. The MP3-400 is a physically larger than the MP3-250 but the 400 and 500 are the same engine and either will fit in this bike. If rumors are correct, PiaggioCo will do a production run with the 400 for the European market and then later a production run with the 500 engine for the North American market. If the 500 engine is used it would be the new Euro3-spec engine with double-spark and a three-horsepower gain bringing it to 42-HP. On the other hand, if North American gets the 400 then it is unlikely to ever get this bike with a 500 engine. For people in the USA, the 400/500 logic is confusing because we do not have the same licensing and insurance levels as the UK/Europe.
When I did a demo-ride on the MP3 at AmeriVespa, I put this question to the Piaggio Rep, and pretty much got this answer.
I did however impress upon him, that IMHO it would be worth their while to rebadge the Fuoco as a Piaggio bike... I do think it would do really well here.

Although, think about the luggage issue, It does seem that the maxi-scoots that hit N. America (particularly the Japanese models) are geared more towards touring, and more luggage room. Perhaps their marketing gurus know something that I don't.

Taking that into account, I wouldn't be surprised if we got an MP3 500.

Also, Piaggio seems to be really running with this technology, with three engine sizes for the MP3, the 500cc Fuoco, the electric Vectrix MP3, and the 125cc hybrid. I really wouldn't be surprised to see even more variations from Piaggio or their licensees in the next few years.
Addicted
GTS "Alessandro"/ MP3 "Thor"
Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:31 pm quote
For all of you wanting bigger, faster ..... and heavier .....

The Fuoco is tested by Roland Brown in the current issue of "Scooter" (great aussie mag)

"When the lights changed, a flick of the wrist was enough to send the Fuoco surging effortlessly ahead of the traffic. But the Fuoco wasn't very exciting in a straight line, seemingly barely quicker than some 250 cc scooters. The main reason for that is the Fuoco's dry weight of 244 kg, which makes it fully 54 kg heavier than Piaggio's indentically powered Beverly Cruiser.

That was not a criticism of the balancer-shaft equipped single engine, which delivered good throttle repsonse with a generally refined feel, and stayed smooth even when revved as hard as possible through the smooth-shifting auto transmission system. But those extra kilos take the edge of the performance, hindering acceleration even more than top speed - which Gilera says is 143 km/hr compared to the Beverley's 160 km/hr"

Think I'll stick with the MP3 250 cc and might be tempted by the Beverly Cruiser when it arrives
Hooked
Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:53 pm quote
Let's hope the MP3 sells well enough for it to be worth it all. People need to be open minded enough to accept the front end. The Yamaha GTS was a great idea but didn't stick. BMW's front ends have sold well probably because most people can't see a difference.

There are also two main markets here. The tourers/commuters and the performance crowd. Piaggio is testing the waters. Scooters are getting more popular in the US, the dealer network will get better, etc. Exciting times for efficient vehicles with 2 and 3 wheels.

I'm hoping for a true performance 3 wheeler someday. Maybe a ~850cc parallel twin with about 80 hp and weighs about 400-450 lbs. OK storage with no trunk would be a bonus. Time will tell.

Maybe a racing series, with corner speeds that put MotoGP bikes to shame, will promote things. No traction control allowed.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1650s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0466s) ][ Debug on ]