Tilt Lock problems (red light+alarm)
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Piaggio MP3 250
Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:52 am quote
Dear,

Two weeks ago I bought a second hand Piaggio MP3 250.
All fine, no issues.

Till yesterday. I wanted to drive for a moment and suddenly get the red logo on the display telling me something is wrong with the stabilization system (tilt lock). I cannot get it turned off, which means the engine doesn't let me drive.

When I park the scooter I always set the tilt lock and then the handbreak+stand. (learned lately I should not park with tilt lock)

But, whatever I red and tried, the error stays and cant drive.

Could someone please advise what to do or what to check?

Tips are welcome!
Hooked
2007 MP3 250
Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:56 am quote
Watch the below video for what the different beeps mean
There is no problem parking with the tilt lock on. That is one of the reasons for it and 99% of the MP3 owners do that. That will not harm the system.
Piaggio MP3 250
Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:58 am quote
OK let me test it tonight and will let you know!
Addicted
2009 Piaggio MP3 250
Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:55 am quote
Rufusl1 wrote:
OK let me test it tonight and will let you know!
Is the seat sensor detecting that you are sitting on the bike (an indicator on the dash will go out) because this can prevent the bike from accelerating if the seat sensor is not working.

Also, the tilt lock switch on mine often gets stuck in between positions. If I gently nudge it back to the middle the tilt lock sensor will go out and allow the bike to accelerate.
Piaggio MP3 250
Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:47 am quote
Seat sensor is fine.

I have a continuous beep in lock mode, when i try to unlock
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:50 am quote
MP3 is very sensitive to Battery Voltage.
Check Battery, or if you have another one you can install temporarily to see if problems goes away.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Piaggio MP3 250
Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:11 am quote
Tried that already, disconnected for 30 minutes. but same.

Well here is what happens if i switch the Key...

1. orange stabiliation light is on (of course as the tilt is on block)
2. then it might happen the red warning flickers. but no beeps.
3. as soon i start the engine, and switch the tilt lock to turn off, i get a unstopping beep.
this can also happen when i dont start the engine.

at the stage of running engine, then it doesnt want to drive (engine cuffs)
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:16 am quote
Rufusl1 wrote:

1. orange stabilization light is on (of course as the tilt is on block)
3. as soon i start the engine, and switch the tilt lock to turn off, i get a unstopping beep.
this can also happen when i don't start the engine.

at the stage of running engine, then it doesn't want to drive (engine cuffs)
Have you tried to push the button for tilt-Lock off two times consecutively.
This will force the Tilt-Lock to disengage and reset, so be sitting on the bike or have it on the stand when you do this, or it will fall over. Then turn key off, back on... See if any difference in the way it is acting.

The Tilt lock has its on PCC (Park Control Computer, near the Parking Brake under all the ABS Plastic.).
A real pain to change, as you have to disassemble the bike to get to it.
Not a cheap part to buy from a dealer, but can be found on Ebay for under $200.00 US Dollars from wrecked bikes. It's around $500.00 US Dollars New. It has a 16 pin connector, and what can happen, you could have a "Intermittent" pin that is causing you problems. From Front Impact to the Bike, or Drop, etc.. I have had to replace two myself, and always keep a PCC in my spare parts. I did not see what year your bike is, but if you go that direction, be sure you replace with the correct part number, as they have different Firmware Levels.

The problem you are having is one the hardest ones to figure out on this bike... Even for a knowledgeable dealer, that have to call Piaggio for help, as they are not always knowledgeable. Many times, it just can be a bad battery, and even one you think that is good. That is why I suggested to swap to another battery. I keep a spare one of those on a Battery Tender for this reason.

I will watch this thread, and if I think of something else I will let you know.

Keith,
Marietta, GA

PCU_640439.JPG
Sample Picture of the ones I have on my MP3/250. This also works on some MP3/500's.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:11 am quote
Rufusl1 wrote:

1. orange stabiliation light is on (of course as the tilt is on block)
this can also happen when i dont start the engine.

at the stage of running engine, then it doesnt want to drive (engine cuffs)
whats your reservoir level for the tilt lock fluid?
Piaggio MP3 250
Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:21 am quote
Dear, sorry for my late reply.

Ive got some updates.

The servis is still being done for the MP3.

What they have done:

Replaced sensor and checked the computer. Errors are checked and had nothing to do with the Tilt lock system. They updated the computer and when turning on, all worked normal except the tilt lock system. the computer gave no errors. In this it means in my opinion that it should be something mechanical. From tomorrow they will check the system manually by hand from A till Z. Checking the system, pipes, eletrical wires, fluids etc.

Any more advise?
Molto Verboso
MP3 500 'JAZZ'
Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:42 pm quote
I just cleaned my throttle body and took it out for a test drive. About 1/4 mile from my house my tilt lock lite was blinking along with a constant beep. A little while later my scoot totally cut out! No power what so ever.

I did some research and came across this thread. I put my trickle charger on the scoot, and it was alternating between red and green. That told me there was a bad connection at the battery. I jiggled the connectors and now the charger is showing a solid red.

The scoot really is sensitive to a bad battery!
Lurker
mp3250&400
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:01 am quote
video
Hi I've MP3 250, my bike got a red light and do the beeps a 2 sec continously till turn off the key. I watch the warning sign video and what does it mean full travel microswitch and where it is, another option is no position rheostat, is the potentiometer on the bottom of the tiltmotor?
I switch twice to unlock rapid, but it didnt reset the warning.
What can i do anything?

Thanks for your help
Robert
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:13 pm quote
They are very sensitive and need a strong battery and also need to have the tilt-lock fluid be full.
Lurker
mp3250&400
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:49 pm quote
Thanks a tips will be done
09 red MPe 500ie
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:18 pm quote
I just bought a used 09 MP3 500 and I now have this same problem. Took to Vespa in Tulsa, OK and they did the firmware and software updates and didn't help. They are now checking things out. I will give them a chance but if all they are gonna do is swaptronics, I can do that myself
Lurker
mp3250&400
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:30 pm quote
so I charged full the few months old battery, topped up a res. tank,
tried reset a tilt electronic unit with a switch, nothing happend,
stay a yellow and red light on and 2 sec beep sound.
Check the seat sensor, wheels sensors, press sensor, tilt caliper microswitch, all of it working.
Grrrrr....
Once I remember read in this forum the little screw in the side pof the tilt motor and try rotate both direction once counter clockwise the beep will continuously after clockwise when the beep and red warning is gone. The tilt function is working.

So I hope it will help in the future any MP3 fan/ owners.

Sorry about my english.

Cheers
Robert
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 250
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:06 am quote
Hello am new here
I just omy 2009 250 MP3 & the tilt lock isnít working the RED Light keeps flashing no beep.
I spent all nights reading about it but I couldnít solve my problem
I change the handlebars switch, change the oil & the pressure sensor. Check the wires
& nothing solve the problem

Any suggestions
Piaggio MP3 250 e
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:15 pm quote
I am surprised and more than a little concerned that the electrical systems on the MP3 are so very sensitive and prone to producing problems. Not good.
The more I read the more worried I become. I too have one or two 'illegitimate' and inexplicable lights and beeps that cause me grief.
I have a question regarding the fluid level for the tilt-lock system: that fluid is not mentioned in any of the maintenance schedules. Is it sealed and does not need checking and topping up perhaps? Or what?
I have carefully checked every page of the comprehensive 435 page workshop manual and have found not a single reference to the hydraulic oil in the Tilt locking system. Why is that? Does not exist? Forgotten? Overlooked? If it is that important then there should be some mention of it somewhere, no?
The only references I can find are for the "Tilt locking gripper control cable" that needs to be adjusted at every service, and the "Suspension locking electronic control unit" that appears to live somewhere near the radiator.
I assume that is that fancy box, or "Park Control Computer" with the peep hole in the picture above?
Ossessionato
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:01 am quote
Breitie wrote:
I have carefully checked every page of the comprehensive 435 page workshop manual and have found not a single reference to the hydraulic oil in the Tilt locking system. Why is that? Does not exist? Forgotten? Overlooked? If it is that important then there should be some mention of it somewhere, no?
The only references I can find are for the "Tilt locking gripper control cable" that needs to be adjusted at every service, and the "Suspension locking electronic control unit" that appears to live somewhere near the radiator.
I assume that is that fancy box, or "Park Control Computer" with the peep hole in the picture above?
Piaggio manuals are not known for their perfection....

The tilt-lock fluid is brake fluid. Anywhere in the maintenance checklist it says check or replace brake fluid, it means do this for front brakes, rear brakes, and tilt-lock fluid.

Also see Suspensions system Pp4-5.

And again Suspensions Pp 15-45 (then I just stopped looking).
Piaggio MP3 250 e
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:09 pm quote
Hello Sully,
Thank you for your endless patience in responding to my queries. I am an MP3 novice and really genuinely appreciate the advice and tips you give me, and many others. Reading through the Forum it is clear that you are one of the 'Elders' of this tribe. Every Club and Forum has them and we plebs are very grateful for your never ending assistance.
Anyhow, the page numbers you gave me mean nothing to me because they do not correspond to either the User Manual nor the Workshop Manual I have.
To cut to the chase: could you give me a hint as to where this mysterious never-to-be-spoken-of fluid reservoir is hidden, and what I have to dismantle to get to it. By the way, I am aware that brake fluid equals hydraulic fluid.
Piaggio MP3 250 e
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:07 pm quote
Rufusl1 wrote:
Seat sensor is fine.

I have a continuous beep in lock mode, when i try to unlock
Regarding the 'seat sensor': my MP3 kept beeping when I turned the key to start. When I examined the seat sensor button I discovered that the corresponding flimsy plastic 'anvil' at the base of the seat, that is supposed to push on the seat sensor button, is crushed and broken, and no longer presents sufficient pressure on the button.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:07 am quote
thats not the seat sensor but the interiorlight switch
Piaggio MP3 250 e
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:53 pm quote
Maksor wrote:
Thank you Mr. Maksor for 'enlightening' me. This machine is becoming curioser and curioser, as Alice would say. Good to know that I can have a light to see by when I am locked in the under-seat storage compartment! Tell me please: where is the seat sensor then?
Ossessionato
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:55 pm quote
Breitie wrote:
Maksor wrote:
Thank you Mr. Maksor for 'enlightening' me. This machine is becoming curioser and curioser, as Alice would say. Good to know that I can have a light to see by when I am locked in the under-seat storage compartment! Tell me please: where is the seat sensor then?
It's in the seat (in the padding of it). The wire to the seat sensor goes through a little plastic tunnel located at the hinge.
Piaggio MP3 250 e
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:58 pm quote
Thank you Sully and Maksor for your kind and very helpful advice. I am loving this interaction with my 'New Besties' on this Forum, and learning so much in the process.
I always take note of the number of posts respondents have, and anyone with more than 3000 has got to know what they are talking about.
Yes, I was wondering where that curly cable near the seat hinge went. Assumed it was part of the security alarm. More so when the annoying alarm stopped after I reconstructed that little anvil. Devine intervention perhaps? Could be pure osmosis? Or just coincidence?
I feel that Piaggio should offer a ten week instruction course to anyone purchasing one of these scooters. That would help tremendously.
Piaggio MP3 250 e
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:25 pm quote
Breitie wrote:
Maksor wrote:
Aha! I am starting to see the Piaggio Light! Found that the previous owner had removed the festoon globe in the boot (no wonder I did not see the light!) because she claimed it drained the battery. Clearly she did not notice that the button shutting it off was inoperative because the anvil was squashed.
On the subject of the tilt-lock reservoir, the best advice I have so far found is a YouTube video by DEREK MOSHER who managed to successfully expose it. I have noted this elsewhere also as it may be useful to other ignorant fools like me. Happy riding!
As a comment: there are endless repeated questions about this same vexing issue. Why not once and for all provide a step-by-step pictorial guide on how to service the tilt-lock hydraulic reservoir? I might do it if I knew where to start.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2598s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0542s) ][ Debug on ]