OP
@jorgecornet avatar
UTC

400 mp3

@jorgecornet avatar
400 mp3
UTC quote
So I noticed the other day that the underseat 12v Socket was rusty and wasn't allowing me to get power to my usb adapter so i said hey why not just replace it with a dual usb outlet just like in the threads i found on here. Except now i'm concerned because the USB charging port has a power indicated LED that could potentially drain my battery and i don't want that to happen.

So i want to know if there is a way to change the socket power to keyed power only instead of it running if the bike is off?
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
If your needs are for just a USB adapter, that requires less amperage... You could come off one of the relays... Like Headlight so when you turn the key it comes on. There is about 5 amps extra there.
UTC

Hooked
Fuoco 500ie - 2007, Benelli Adiva 150 - 2003

Hooked
Fuoco 500ie - 2007, Benelli Adiva 150 - 2003
UTC quote
Could you disable the led?
OP
@jorgecornet avatar
UTC

400 mp3

@jorgecornet avatar
400 mp3
UTC quote
unfortunately i can not disable the LED so i'm wondering how else to repower the socket. I have never experimented with tapping into a relay etc...i'd hav to see the diagram. Can you help?

I'm wondering if there is just a way to change the wires to the socket to keep it off until upon turning the key on.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
jorgecornet wrote:
unfortunately i can not disable the LED so i'm wondering how else to repower the socket. I have never experimented with tapping into a relay etc...i'd hav to see the diagram. Can you help?

I'm wondering if there is just a way to change the wires to the socket to keep it off until upon turning the key on.
Not that difficult...

Use a Volt Meter, and put one probe on Ground (a spot on frame), and the other on the Relay Spade to pick up the 12V. Turn your key off/on and when the meter shows 12V, you have found the potential hot spot. The wire you Tap from that Spade Location you fuse it for 3 amps with a mini fuse, and your good for a low voltage for typical 1.0/2.1 Amp charge from a USB. You turn the Key, your LED on the USB goes on, turn off your USB is no longer one. I have typically installed this scenario at the Top Left Corner on the Dash with a Marine USB Port, where I can power a GPS, Charge a Phone, etc. I will look for a picture to see if I have one. Under the Seat, I typically use the Battery Tender type Plug from the Battery and fuse for 20 Amps, for bigger devices. Heated Gear, Air Compressor, etc...

Keith
Marietta, GA
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500LT

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500LT
UTC quote
From my understanding LEDs use very little voltage.

If your ride is left standing for long periods of time it may drain the battery but not if you are riding on a regular basis.

I know its not quite the same but I have two USB adapters with LEDs permanently plugged in to ghe 12v sockets in my car. These have never drained the battery enough to preVent starting.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
no need to rewire the circuit just install a manual switch in line.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
prof1967 wrote:
From my understanding LEDs use very little voltage current.
Fixed that for you...
It's not the LED that takes the current, it's the 12V-5V regulator that does. The LED itself only takes a very few mA, but the standing current of one of these USB outlets is in the region of 40mA. I have a load of these in my Westy, and they have to be separately switched even when using a massive capacity leisure battery. 40ma will drain a 12AH scooter battery to half-capacity within a week, at which stage it may not be able to start the engine.
Quote:
If your ride is left standing for long periods of time it may drain the battery but not if you are riding on a regular basis.

I know its not quite the same but I have two USB adapters with LEDs permanently plugged in to ghe 12v sockets in my car. These have never drained the battery enough to preVent starting.
They would have done after two months or so.
@der_blechfahrer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric

Molto Verboso
@der_blechfahrer avatar
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric
UTC quote
Also, all that current produces heat which will damage the regulator, if it cannot be dissipated properly.
OP
@jorgecornet avatar
UTC

400 mp3

@jorgecornet avatar
400 mp3
UTC quote
Got a solution!

Switch installed under seat to control power ! Worked ojt perfect
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0659s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0399s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]